As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[#MeToo] Comes To Gaming

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Seems to be confirmed on the permanent side of things:

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Not just on twitch sounds like this must be something pretty bad. I follow some shooter dudes on the twitter like Drlupo, I wonder what if anything he'll say here. Its weird how quiet this is.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    My feeling is that if no one is talking, it has to be really bad.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Yeah I saw a tweet claiming Doc doesn't know why he's perma banned which I highly fucking doubt. But I imagine he'd want to make it sound like he's being persecuted to his fan base of angry white dudes who think the world owes them everything.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Lots of trash getting taken to the dumpster. Good riddance to Josh and Doc and all the rest.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    https://kotaku.com/twitch-bans-dr-disrespect-1844182541/
    Initially, people suspected that he’d tripped a wire in Twitch’s increasingly aggressive DMCA detection system, but that does not appear to be the case. Industry insider and journalist Rod “Slasher” Breslau said on Twitter that, according to his sources, the ban is permanent. Streamer Shannon “ShannonZKiller” Plante said she’d heard the same from her own sources, adding that the issue is “serious.” A source close to Twitch has told Kotaku that the ban is permanent as well.
    Looks like it is permanent

• Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah I saw a tweet claiming Doc doesn't know why he's perma banned which I highly fucking doubt. But I imagine he'd want to make it sound like he's being persecuted to his fan base of angry white dudes who think the world owes them everything.

And then those same people will turn around and claim that they couldn't possibly have known when the person they have been carrying water for turns out to be guilty of heinous stuff.

• Options
    Numi wrote: »

And then those same people will turn around and claim that they couldn't possibly have known when the person they have been carrying water for turns out to be guilty of heinous stuff.

That's a yeppers. Again the silence is deafening here. I'm not really seeing anything from other streamers. Probably another "We all knew but said nothing" situation

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    He struck me as the sort of person who kept on fuckingup and would sooner or later going to turboscrew himself after getting lucky for a long time unless he took a real, good hard look at himself, but he was exactly the sort of person who is most unlikely to do that

You know, the stereotypical Florida man

• Options
    It was always hard to tell with Doc what was character and what was the real person. And until we know why he got banned I can't speculate really on what kind of person he is. Maybe he's defrauded people? Wouldn't that be nice he was just ripping people off for money, come on good ole white collar crime!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Thinking someone is a massive dick with an awful personality isn't the same thing as believing they're a criminal.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    If fucking Facebook is banning him, you're not thinking big enough. He must be the Zodiac killer or something

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I can't imagine Twitch banning their biggest money maker and staying silent about the reason unless it's something where law enforcement is involved, or should be involved.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    When a person pushed a 5G coronavirus conspiracy theory like Dr. Disrespect did, I just assume they are actually that messed up

Edit:
    https://kotaku.com/dr-disrespects-shtick-takes-a-dangerous-turn-into-sprea-1843205562
    Then Doc moved on to an even less credible piece of media: a viral video in which a doctor named Thomas Cowan, who is on disciplinary probation enforced by the Medical Board of California, makes the widely debunked claim that 5G cellular technology causes covid-19. Doc did not openly agree with the video, instead saying, “I’m gonna show something that is not directly related to what I just talked about. Something else, what I’m about to show you, along with what I just read, combining the two together—that’s what gets me upset.”

Couscous on
  • Options
    august wrote: »
    I can't imagine Twitch banning their biggest money maker and staying silent about the reason unless it's something where law enforcement is involved, or should be involved.
    Especially considering he signed a multi-year exclusivity contract with them in March.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    He struck me as the sort of person who kept on fuckingup and would sooner or later going to turboscrew himself after getting lucky for a long time unless he took a real, good hard look at himself, but he was exactly the sort of person who is most unlikely to do that

You know, the stereotypical Florida man

As someone from Florida, fuck off.

Edit note: Not defending Doc, he's a terrible person. This is more about equating millions of people as assholes/racists/just like Doc with the bullshit Florida Man thing.

Enc on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Thinking someone is a massive dick with an awful personality isn't the same thing as believing they're a criminal.

Are we talking about the guy who pulled a knife on his partner on stream?

Or the guy who filmed a public restroom?

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »

Are we talking about the guy who pulled a knife on his partner on stream?

Or the guy who filmed a public restroom?
    The latter.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Videogame reporter for CNN (yes, that is a thing) Shannon Liao has Twitch's statement on Dr. Disrespect's ban:

It says absolutely nothing.

• Options
    Ducks are being put in a row, i's dotted, t's crossed.

And again his own community ain't saying shit, something is up here.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    My money is on him threatening and harassing/sexually assaulting a twitch staff member.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    yeah if he had done something on stream somebody would be talking about it

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    My money is on him threatening and harassing/sexually assaulting a twitch staff member.

Honestly its 2020 shit could be for fucking anything. This is the year that said "fuck it go for broke." So I'll say cloned a dinosaur that ate a bus full of nuns.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Ultimately it doesn’t matter why I guess, if the ban is permanent

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    It absolutely matters

• Options
    (I mean, technically, it matters more to the thread if it's MeToo related than if it's not)

• Options
    I know twitter sucks, but I absolutely hate how Doc gets suspended and people are all "What about Allinity?"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I know twitter sucks, but I absolutely hate how Doc gets suspended and people are all "What about Allinity?"

These comments and fans are what happens when a 38 year old man makes his bank off of validating teenage edgelord bullshit.

• Options
    Whatabouttism rears it's head again, this time brought to you by the people that dont understand why people get mad when they say thot

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Who is Allinity?

(Trying to follow this thread has made me feel super old, because I have known maybe 10% of the people involved)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    IIRC she is a twitch streamer who got in hot water for tossing her cat over her head away from the keyboard and on a different occasion giving the cat vodka

• Options
    She also I believe has gotten in trouble for flashing her feed. But its just dumb whataboutism, until anyone know why Doc is banned trying to draw parallel's to the usual "What about these women I obsess over on twitch" is just like knee jerk stupidity.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Yeah apparently the recent stuff is because she accidentally (?) showed nipple on stream. A lot of men are angry at women who have a lot of viewers and push the boundaries of what's acceptably sexy on Twitch. A guy sued Twitch for 25 million dollars for allowing female streamers to take advantage of his sex addiction.

EDIT: spoilering this tweet of the lawsuit because it's A LOT MORE GRAPHIC THAN I IMAGINED NOW THAT I READ PAST THE FIRST PART

august on
  • Options
    Yeah I read that twitch law suit yesterday and it was hilarious and sad. I guess that guy has sued like a lot of other companies, he's got problems

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    That dude is trolling, but saying that Twitch encourages emotional manipulation is...actually true

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Yeah apparently the recent stuff is because she accidentally (?) showed nipple on stream. A lot of men are angry at women who have a lot of viewers and push the boundaries of what's acceptably sexy on Twitch. A guy sued Twitch for 25 million dollars for allowing female streamers to take advantage of his sex addiction.

EDIT: spoilering this tweet of the lawsuit because it's A LOT MORE GRAPHIC THAN I IMAGINED NOW THAT I READ PAST THE FIRST PART

I laughed hard at that third point, not gonna lie. I don't know if it's even plausible to cause a blackout that way (maybe if said gaming rig was a laptop?), but the mental image is pretty funny either way :biggrin:

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    That dude is trolling, but saying that Twitch encourages emotional manipulation is...actually true

I mean literally everything you interact with one way or another has some form of emotional manipulation. Twitch being a service in which you directly interact with and can benefit someone instantly just feeds more into that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    That would be the funniest thing I've ever read if I didn't think that man was dead serious. What a lunatic.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure HE blacked out, rather than his apartment.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure HE blacked out, rather than his apartment.

Smoke inhalation or just low blood pressure?

This discussion has been closed.