As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Squad sub leaders!

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Rolled credits last night, that last fight was not fun as a lancer, and just took way too long, felt even longer than story xeno fight. Definitely my least favorite hunt of the xpac so far, whenever I tackle it again I will probably run as a LBG.

Time to start the grind into endgame now.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Aretè wrote: »
    Rolled credits last night, that last fight was not fun as a lancer, and just took way too long, felt even longer than story xeno fight. Definitely my least favorite hunt of the xpac so far, whenever I tackle it again I will probably run as a LBG.

bowguns definetly make that boss a breeze, yeah.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Aretè wrote: »

bow-guns definitely make that boss a breeze, yeah.

Its just the Lance my friend. The last boss is a mobility fight in many ways (and while the lance has a lot of mobility its not this kind of mobility) and not in the lances favor. And last boss's moves punish your for blocking.

I just swap to an off spec and its so much easier.....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    That fight is just like the Xeno fight, it's a drag when you first fight them, but once adequately geared I learned to like them mostly because they don't take forever anymore.

• Options
    So like Switch. I am so GD ready for MH to come back there.

I think the perfect game would be keep the graphics from MHGXX they have but add open worlds (dont need bleeding edge graphics) Keep QOL stuff. And just have tons of monsters.

i guess im just pumped for more on switch....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    So, yesterday me and a friend got the Rocksteady mantle unlocked.

Not sure that following the event Tempered Kirin around for 20 mintues sniffing its feet for a single investigation was an optimal way to get to getting my three high rank tempered elders, but it worked for a second and then I got a third from the second fight.

And I wouldn't have even known the mantle existed without other players/ the wiki, much less figured out how to get it from gigantic pile of old content.

This might be the single most obtuse game I've played in the last 5+ years. I'm reminded of early Ragnarok Online 'quests'.

Oh, I also took advantage of the Yian Garuga event to go ahead and get my Garuga Grieves B made despite dragging my heels on Guiding Lands, so I have my initial endgame set (Brachydios Helm, Teostra 2-3-4, Garuga Grieves). Woo. And the grieves seem to carry over into like 90% of other sets I could conceivably make.

Kamar on
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    That fight is just like the Xeno fight, it's a drag when you first fight them, but once adequately geared I learned to like them mostly because they don't take forever anymore.

Yeah pretty much what I am thinking, better loadout and gear would make it much more enjoyable. I though its attacks etc were all pretty cool in phase 2, phase 1 was just a slog.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    mojojoeo wrote: »

I think the perfect game would be keep the graphics from MHGXX they have but add open worlds (dont need bleeding edge graphics) Keep QOL stuff. And just have tons of monsters.

I saw this fanart, and thought yeah I think I'd like something like this. Leaning a bit more into the BOTW aesthetic.

https://i.redd.it/3div3epc0r341.jpg

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

I'd be fine with just the QoL stuff. I'm super curious to see what nonsense I could build with World's armor skill system rather than the tried & true "10 points".

Open worlds would be fine, I guess, but if sacrifices have to be made for processing or whatever zones are still ok.

• Options
    Random fun stuff from hunts. Kos, wall bangs off bombs and lancers.

https://youtu.be/W-8s1JEK5u4

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    hey, the Astera theme from Monster Hunter World popped in my head last week and now i really want to dive back in.

I've played for 158 hours when the game came out and i feel i only scratched the surface. I was HR 29.

Is there a lot of new content in the vanilla game? Is there still a lot of people playing the vanilla game on PS4? Did anything big change?

21stCentury on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    A whole new expansion pack with a new rank for starters.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »

In the vanilla game, though, not a whole lot has changed. Depending on when @21stCentury stopped playing, Lunastra, Leshen, Kulve Taroth, or Behemoth might be new.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I stayed up way too late tonight but when I unlocked HR gear I just had to get my goggles.

wdy4ina4of70.jpg

I kind of wish that I hadn't assembled the perfect outfit so quickly but oh well, at least I'm stylish the whole way through.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    TNTrooper wrote: »

In the vanilla game, though, not a whole lot has changed. Depending on when 21stCentury stopped playing, Lunastra, Leshen, Kulve Taroth, or Behemoth might be new.

When i stopped playing they added and then removed the monster nicknamed Pickle. (In other words, i have not played any of the new monsters.)

So I guess that answers that. I know about Iceborne's existence but i don't know if i want it yet unless i can comfortably get back in the game, y'kno.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Iceborne is awesome assuming you like vanilla World.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »

I admit, I've not really gotten Iceborne because of two reasons. One, the claw sounds lame, and two, G-Rank has historically been both boring and irritating to solo.

Putting some of my favorite monsters, like Zinogre and Brachydios, behind the G-Rank wall is giving me some indecision suffering, let me tell you.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

I admit, I've not really gotten Iceborne because of two reasons. One, the claw sounds lame, and two, G-Rank has historically been both boring and irritating to solo.

Putting some of my favorite monsters, like Zinogre and Brachydios, behind the G-Rank wall is giving me some indecision suffering, let me tell you.

Well IMO you are so very wrong about the claw. There isn't a weapon I can think of that doesn't have more awesome grapples and maneuvers with the clutch claw.

Clutch claw is a literal game changer for most folks.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    If G-Rank is traditionally a slog or super tightly tuned, MR hasn't felt like that.

Feels more like an MMO xpac/level cap increase where everything stays basically the same but maybe with a few new buttons to push.

• Options
    Yeah, the main difference between G-Rank and Master Rank is that you can actually solo Master Rank, because monsters aren't permanently scaled to multiplayer like in G-Rank.

• Options
    RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    I would say soloing iceborne without being comfortable with clutch claw is a slog since monster health is scaled with that mechanics in mind.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    If G-Rank is traditionally a slog or super tightly tuned, MR hasn't felt like that.

Feels more like an MMO xpac/level cap increase where everything stays basically the same but maybe with a few new buttons to push.

Yeah, I remember G-Rank back in Unite, where I basically had to run around in full Handicraft+Adrenaline gear to not get eternally long hunts, knowing that due to needing the adrenaline boost, I had to be at oneshot range at all times.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

People's complaints about the claw have been mostly valid I think, but also in terms of "percentage of play time that it takes up" the claw is pretty minimal. Like Rakeeth said, you really do need to use the claw to cut down on hunt times, but most of your actual time is still gonna be spent smashing monsters in the face.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    As DB, the claw is a godsend for hurting flying enemies that really wants to stay airborne now that flashpods are not great.

• Options
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    what's the claw?

The Clutch Claw. It's a tool that was added to everybody who has Iceborne (including if you're going through original game content), and is almost essential as the game'sMR difficulty has been rebuilt around the clutch claw mechanics (either from weakening or from flinch shotting monsters into wallbangs).

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    what's the claw?
    It looks balling as heck, is what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr8m4zoo-kI

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    what's the claw?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSfHBlyjYkc

Too easy. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Looks neat!

BTW, is the PS4 guild thing still full?

When the game came out it was full up so i never joined it.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    the Claw is what you use when you need a spinny Hammer jump but there's no slidey-slope nearby.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Barioth can choke on it.

I am filled with rage and bitter triumph.

Grinding the last Mantles appears to have taken away my edge.

Also I JUST discovered you can use tents mid quest to retool, haha fuck me

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    I didn't realize I could restock items in the tent until after MR story.

Or, more likely, I lost that information at some point between LR and then.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    same, I thought part of what limited your Guiding Lands expedition was the contents of your pouch. And like, limiting you to 2 Max Potions plus crafting materials per quest was a difficulty restriction. Turns out, nope!

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    same, I thought part of what limited your Guiding Lands expedition was the contents of your pouch. And like, limiting you to 2 Max Potions plus crafting materials per quest was a difficulty restriction. Turns out, nope!

The only thing I miss from the resupply tent is the ability to change out decorations. But, I suppose if that were included, I'd have absolutely zero reason to ever leave the expedition except for when I need to log out.

• Options
    Looks neat!

BTW, is the PS4 guild thing still full?

When the game came out it was full up so i never joined it.

I think it's full but other than me and maybe two other people, anyone is rarely online. :(

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    question guys. Should I stick with Mon Hun on PS4 or just buy it again on PC? Is the population good for a beginner hunter on either platform? Steam Sale is about to end but I'm thinking about it.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    So, seems like some stuff 's changed and i forgot about a lot of things in the months since i've last played.

What do the crest and dialog boxes mean when next to optional quests in the ledger?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Crest means it's a special arena from having captured the monster at some point. Crest with number is for post-story repeats of certain hunts, they show up periodically and linger for a given number of hunts. Dialogue box means it's a side quest that unlocks something.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    question guys. Should I stick with Mon Hun on PS4 or just buy it again on PC? Is the population good for a beginner hunter on either platform? Steam Sale is about to end but I'm thinking about it.

If you have the machine to run it at 60fps with hi-res textures, it really is a pretty game to look at. And also, if you're ok with modding the game, I think it's worth it for getting things such as a deco that has refused to drop for 500+ hours of gameplay.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular

I played the game on PS4 when it came out, and recently got it again with Iceborne on my new PC. Very very happy with my purchase. Looks way better and solid 60fps is great.

You can easily craft (or maybe they just give it to you?) armor and weapons right at the start that will get you through the whole main game, so you can just do the story quests without any extra grinding for gear. I think it took me about 20-25 hours to get to Iceborne.