As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem Three Houses] happy goddamn deduesday my dudes

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Hubert is ashamed of facial hair!

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Hubert is ashamed of facial hair!

I think he just likes the thrill of a really close shave

• Options
    Then explain his eyebrow situation.

Oh wait you can't!!!

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Yeah M!Byleth is kind of hot.

Not my cup of tea but like my problem with his design ain't really with his head it's more that his outfit design is a bit too safe. Better than F!Byleth's fashion disaster but not amazing. Just like acceptable.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    female Byleth definitely has worse outfits than male Byleth but male Byleth's entire face and hair situation is ass

*sucks air through his teeth*

hrrrrgh putting myself out there now

Male Byleth, judging just from his face situation and particularly the resting intensity of his eyes, is one of the hottest guys in the game

I should probably do a run with Male Byleth, huh? I haven't even really looked at the fella.

......nah, I love those ridiculous stockings and that dead doe-eyed stare, Female Byleth all the way

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I might play dude Byleth run if I ever do a Blue Lions run, but I'm struggling with this Golden Deer run, so it might be a while

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Of all the houses to play Male Byleth, I think Blue Lions might be the worst one

Women get way better options over here

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Oh my gosh right at the buzzer!!! General game mechanic spoilers? Nothing major.
    I'm on Silver Snow and had despaired of getting Hilda to join my team. The literal week before the time skip she asks to join. Yes, my dear!! Yes you may join the church and I will get as many support conversations between team mates with you as possible because you are a delight

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Of all the houses to play Male Byleth, I think Blue Lions might be the worst one

I mean, that's a solvable problem

• Options

that

you're right and I forgot about that, yeah, you can bring over whoever you like, that's true

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Oh my gosh right at the buzzer!!! General game mechanic spoilers? Nothing major.
    I'm on Silver Snow and had despaired of getting Hilda to join my team. The literal week before the time skip she asks to join. Yes, my dear!! Yes you may join the church and I will get as many support conversations between team mates with you as possible because you are a delight

This is also the earliest this can happen.

• Options

that

you're right and I forgot about that, yeah, you can bring over whoever you like, that's true

But the STORY!! General route spoilers
    Nobody can convince me that the intended Blue Lions route is anything other than an angst filled romance between Byleth and Dimitri. I don't even much care for Dimitri but the story beats work so much better that way!

Same with Edelgard's route, but at least you could pursue that with either Byleth.

....Claude I don't reallly buy as a romantic partner. Too calculating

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Black Eagle part 2 spoilers:
    The Knights of Seiros really are low key bad-ass. Like you're told they're the toughest fighting force but I hadn't really gotten that impression in golden deer. But they attack a far superior battle-hardened force in an entrenched defensive position and it ends up a draw with the Imperial army also in bad shape after the fight. Like sure they knew the area they were attacking well, but still.

Flayn and Seteth survived. That's good.

Gundi on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Yeah, IMO they lay it on really thick.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Then explain his eyebrow situation.

Oh wait you can't!!!

maybe he was just born that way

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I think for my next run I'll do an axe byleth.

It really sucks that ladies don't get access to the brawler line of classes because the fist class weapons honestly seem like the best in the game. They're so busted good.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Intro to chapter 18 GD
    Well, I guessed Claude world resort to calling in the Almyrans

But

Gee I hope the Empire has been doing some truly heinous things to the population because I'm not sure bringing in an invading force from another country is going to endear you to the average xenophobic Fodlandian

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Felix > Claude > Linhardt > Sylvain > Ashe > m!Byleth > Dimitri > the other boys > Lorenz

this is my personal take on how hot and/or cute the FE3H post-timeskip boys are

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Crimson Flower 17
    That was a long battle. First time since the very beginning of the game that I felt really worried about running out of spell charges. Good thing I brought so many healers. And they had the nerve to set the unit cap at 10!

Dimitri really blamed Edelgard for the assassination of his father and all the fallout from it, huh? She's right; his obsession with her is appalling.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited September 2019

that

Nobody can convince me that the intended Blue Lions route is anything other than an angst filled romance between Byleth and Dimitri. I don't even much care for Dimitri but the story beats work so much better that way!

Same with Edelgard's route, but at least you could pursue that with either Byleth.

I'll be seeing about Dimitri, I guess! I'm aiming for Dedue, though. We'll see how that works out.

Edelgard's interesting, because she genuinely doesn't think of herself as being capable of romance. She is, but she makes no space for it in her life or in how she relates to other people, regardless of her feelings for them. Makes for that nice bit of potential personal denial

Claude is absolutely the character most likely to ghost you if things are getting too serious

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

that

I'll be seeing about Dimitri, I guess! I'm aiming for Dedue, though. We'll see how that works out.

Edelgard's interesting, because she genuinely doesn't think of herself as being capable of romance. She is, but she makes no space for it in her life or in how she relates to other people, regardless of her feelings for them. Makes for that nice bit of potential personal denial

Claude is absolutely the character most likely to ghost you if things are getting too serious

nah I disagree on Claude
    I feel like his fixation on having Byleth around to help all of his plans come to fruition is twofold:

He knows how capable Byleth is, and how the respect and status they've managed to generate so quickly is a massive boon to his plans and something that can also help keep all of the alliances and agreements together

He himself knows that without Byleth he'd never have had the courage and determination to pursue his dreams for real. Just being with Byleth makes him feel stronger, more capable, more confident, and he in turn falls into a position of wanting to support Byleth in whatever way possible. That's a particular form of love that can morph into romance that I particularly adore seeing. Two people who make each other better and value each other for who they are, and can't imagine being without the other there to support and be supported by.

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    So I finally got around to finishing my first playthrough of this game, as Black Eagles on the Crimson Flower route.

General character thoughts:
    BE class is overall quite likable, and most characters I didn't initially care for grew on me as the game went on.

Edelgard - I feel like an idiot for not connecting the dots in regards to her little secret, but for whatever reason I honestly didn't. It's a nice change of pace to have a main character be one who feels willing to make real sacrifice in order to build a better world as opposed to the usual goody two shoes "my power is fueled through friendship!" anime trope. Though it is a bit ironic how she actually starts to lean that way towards the end of the route, anyhow. My only disappointment with her is that mechanically she feels much better off being a wyvern rider than actually using her unique armored classes, which are low movement and penalize her good speed stat.

Hubert - I really appreciate the occasional humanizing touches he gets in some of his supports, though at the same time I had hoped more people would chide him for his, uh, methods. Mechanically I feel like he's probably the second best offensive mage in the game, really only held back by low movement of infantry mages. With a little help of some resistance boost consumables he was my best Res tank after the group split with Flayn.

Ferdinand - Surprisingly likable, in the end. It's nice to have a character who shows real personality growth as time goes along, not only in terms of broad ideologies concerning nobility, but also in terms of how he views himself in relation to Edelgard. As a unit he didn't really have a dramatic strength or weakness for me, being relatively well rounded. I made him into a Holy Knight in the end, which felt most appropriate given his character.

Linhardt - Never really cared for the "I just want to be lazy and/or sleep so leave me alone" kind of character in most fiction, but I appreciate how he largely grows out of it in most of his supports. Really gets robbed by the fact he can't become a Gremory, though, so I left him down the path of infantry white magic all game long.

Caspar - Probably the only BE character I just don't like at all in some fashion or another. He's pretty much just the gung-ho, "let's get 'em!" anime kid who really doesn't have much else going on in terms of personality. To the point that watching his support conversations play out really felt like a slog, after awhile. This was reflected mechanically as well, in that he had solid strength but not much else. This makes him a capable gauntlet punchman, at least, but I largely left him on the bench and only kept up with him in more optional battles.

Bernadetta - Her antics are a bit over the top at times, but there's enough fun moments going on to forgive her weaker scenes. A little surprised her backstory doesn't come up more often in her support with other units, but alas. She has all the natural stat inclinations to be a good Bow Knight, and she is a good Bow Knight. I feel like she'd be a capable Pegasus rider too, which I might try in a future play sometime.

Dorothea - The whole "I want to find a perfect husband" motivation gets a little old, even if it is probably a justifiable attitude and goal for her to have in universe. Outside of that she comes off as a very down to earth and sincere person though, which goes a long way in making her likable in a class of eccentrics. Like many, she became my Dancer, and I left her that way. It gave her more defined purpose for me given Hubert's offensive and Linhardt's defensive roles, letting her do a bit of everything as needed.

Petra - What Dorothea is to magic, Petra is to physical weaponry. She excels at any sort of offensive weapon based class, and ended up being a Pegasus Knight after spending a solid amount of time as a Swordmaster. It didn't feel great to give up on the high level sword arts she had learned, but flier mobility and evasiveness more than makes up for that. Like Dorothea, Petra too comes off as down to earth and sincere - just through the lens of having a language barrier involved. Definitely one of my favorite BE characters.

Other Recruits
    Felix - "Strength is all that matters," yadda yadda yadda. Manages to have some cute support convos despite feeling like a dollar store Vergil at times, mostly because he doesn't disregard other motivations in regards to getting stronger - he just fails to understand them. Mechanically you give him a sword and let him swing it, and appreciate having a strong unit that can kill stuff around. That's all the matters.

Annette - Absolutely adorable. I really enjoy her fun personality, but sadly as a black mage I feel she comes up short. She's serviceable I'm sure, but given my other mages on hand I never really found a use for her on my team, and she ended up being adjutant support more than anything else. I really wish she had at least one great spell to make her stand out more in comparison to the other mages.

Ingrid - I really wanted a pegasus knight, so I made sure to recruit the lady of the skies. Her personality is a little plain compared to a lot of the weirdos in BE house, mostly just being a slight tomboy with some arranged marriage woes, but it made for a nice change of pace from some of the more zany BE supports.

Lysithea - Best offensive black mage in the game, bar none. Hubert is definitely capable, but Lysithea is the one you point at something when you actually want to be positive that it dies. Her backstory with Edelgard was a nice bonus, and I like how she manages to walk a line between wanting to be taken as a serious adult and yet still having some more childish aspects to her personality.

Flayn - I never truly discovered what her deal was, due to the church split, but I'm pretty sure she's actually 1000 years old or whatever. Probably would have been a manakete if this was a different Fire Emblem game, but I guess I'll have to find out the details on another path.

Manuela - Not really a fan. Comes across to me like an older Dorothea who, having failed to find her man, has become thirsty and desperate for attention. Has some funny moments in her supports, though.

Hanneman - Dull as dishwater, but it's nice to have at least one professor at this school who feels like an actual professor.

Shamir - I love my Fire Emblem Ada Wong archer lady and no one can change my mind on this. Much like Bernie, I really want to try her as a pegasus knight sometime.

Ending pairing results...
    My male Byleth married Edelgard, in large part because the story really really wants you to do so. To the point I think I would have felt awkward not choosing her, even, but I was pretty satisfied with how it played out between them. The game makes it clear Edelgard needs Byleth in her life both to help support her burdens but also to keep her balanced, in that you are the only person she can truly speak to freely as another regular person. Hubert revels in the role of servant too much for him to ever accomplish this himself, and I wish his A support with Edelgard played on this fact a bit more.

Speaking of, Hubert ended up with Shamir. I actually liked the way their supports progressed, and their ending paints a picture of them masquerading as normal married nobles by day, superhero assassins by night. I can dig it.

Ferdinand and Dorothea got together. A stark contrast from how their supports begin, but it kind of felt appropriate. Ferdie is definitely a man of significance who went out of his way to try to prove himself to Dorothea, and their ending implies she plays a large part in helping him come up with political reform to help the common folk.

Linhardt went back to Brigid with Petra and helped her install economic and political policies to vastly improve the countries comparative standing with Fodlan. Probably not my first choice for their respective relationships, but Petra is so earnest with everyone that I can't complain too much here.

Bernadetta wound up with...Caspar. I'm sorry, Bernie! You deserved better.

Felix is ready go out on his own way of the sword (because of course he is), but Annette stops him first and convinces him to join up with her at the Officer's Academy as teachers. I don't blame you, Felix, I would probably be convinced too, though I can't imagine what it would be like having a Vergil wannabe as your sword instructor.

Everyone else went their own way solo. I kind of wish Lysithea had someone in the end, given her particular circumstances, but ah well. Maybe I'll set you up more specifically next time, best mage.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I...kind of like the look of Byleth's special class

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    So I've been saving Legendary weapons for emergencies. I'm in Chapter 19 now, have yet to use one, and am almost at 99 Umbral Steel, the material you need to repair the gold Legendary weapons.

I don't want to waste any Umbral Steel either! I've just been okay with Iron+ weapons and Javelins/Hand Axes all game. Working as intended?

You're actually wasting resources by not using the relics. The Sword of the Creator gets fully repaired for free in Chapter 10, so that's 20 uses wasted if you left it sealed-in-box. In Chapter 13 everything in everyone's inventory gets fully repaired, including any other hero's relics you might have. Use your stuff!

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    FYI, if you didnt buy the dlc at launch and pick it up later, it will brick your game. There is no eta on a fix, and the game crashes at launch.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    The DLC not crashing is a pre-order bonus, it's an new marketing strategy they're trying out.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Yeah, after being on the line with Nintendo their response was essentially "we cant help you," which was a super frustrating 20 minutes.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    FYI, if you didnt buy the dlc at launch and pick it up later, it will brick your game. There is no eta on a fix, and the game crashes at launch.

Can you elaborate on this? I bought the dlcs like 2 weeks ago.

• Options
    So apparently they coded the separate DLC pact wonkily and now if you download it (over the last 48 hours) something is coded wrong with one of the upcoming DLC packs. If you download the whole DLC thing, rather than piecemeal, it bricks the game on startup with no solution unless you are on physical edition or do some fucking ridiculous multi-hour juggling of your SD cards with a spare one and redownload the gave at least 3 times while editing it on a computer.

• Options
    So if I never told it to download maybe I'm okay?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I used almost entirely steel weapons
    I gave everyone silver equivalents at a certain point but there was usually not a situation where they blew steel out of the water

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    I've decided in my BL run I'm going to make Annette a wyvern with a bolt axe +. I'll master mage for FB and then it's axe time!
    I'll also make Dedue a brigand into FK into Warmaster, undecided on Sylvain and Felix.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    make Sylvain and Felix horse knight bros

Anzekay on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »
    So I've been saving Legendary weapons for emergencies. I'm in Chapter 19 now, have yet to use one, and am almost at 99 Umbral Steel, the material you need to repair the gold Legendary weapons.

I don't want to waste any Umbral Steel either! I've just been okay with Iron+ weapons and Javelins/Hand Axes all game. Working as intended?

You're actually wasting resources by not using the relics. The Sword of the Creator gets fully repaired for free in Chapter 10, so that's 20 uses wasted if you left it sealed-in-box. In Chapter 13 everything in everyone's inventory gets fully repaired, including any other hero's relics you might have. Use your stuff!

But not the Byleth's legendary in ch 13?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

Okay yes but counterargument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgU4Oum8SLg

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Level 17 with 12 Speed...

You're letting me down, Byleth....

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    So apparently they coded the separate DLC pact wonkily and now if you download it (over the last 48 hours) something is coded wrong with one of the upcoming DLC packs. If you download the whole DLC thing, rather than piecemeal, it bricks the game on startup with no solution unless you are on physical edition or do some fucking ridiculous multi-hour juggling of your SD cards with a spare one and redownload the gave at least 3 times while editing it on a computer.
    @Enc If you delete the game (not archive; archive doesn't work) and then re-download the base game but not the DLC, that makes it launchable again, at least. Does that not work with digital purchases?

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Well, I'm dumping Raphael in my GD run. At level 16, he finally got his first stat boost that was more than two. He still has single digit Mag, Dex, Spd, Luck, and Res, and that's just a bridge too far. Oh, and his Str is still 12, despite his level 1 starting Str of 11.

Sorry pal. You're an Adjutant now. Fortunately I picked up Ferdie, so he and Hilda will fill that role.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Well, I'm dumping Raphael in my GD run. At level 16, he finally got his first stat boost that was more than two. He still has single digit Mag, Dex, Spd, Luck, and Res, and that's just a bridge too far. Oh, and his Str is still 12, despite his level 1 starting Str of 11.

Sorry pal. You're an Adjutant now. Fortunately I picked up Ferdie, so he and Hilda will fill that role.

Ow

I feel guilty for every bit of grousing I've done about isolated bad stat gains in this game

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Level 17 with 12 Speed...

You're letting me down, Byleth....

Time for Armor Knight Byleth I guess.