As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 5E Discussion] This is the way 5E ends. Not with a bang but a gnome mindflayer.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Alternatively, lots of INT checks.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    So for my one-shot I will be DMing a table of 2x rogue, 1 ranger, 1 barbarian, 1 cleric and 1 druid. Guess we're not doing any INT checks then.

Depends on the type of Rogue I guess. Mastermind or Inquisitive would probably still have a decent INT.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    yesterday we speedran lost mines of phandelver with a 20th level party

that was... interesting

At the end the drow party member cast Gate and called for Lloth and after some debate we agreed that the horrific, agonizing death of everyone in wave echo cavern (including the party members that didn't teleport away) counted as "Stop the spider's plans" on ye old win conditions

the redbrands ended up being cascaded into the astral sea, the young green dragon was true polymorphed into a puppy

2 hours 10 minutes was the final count

override367 on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    So for my one-shot I will be DMing a table of 2x rogue, 1 ranger, 1 barbarian, 1 cleric and 1 druid. Guess we're not doing any INT checks then.

Or all the int checks. That'll learn them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »

Depends on the type of Rogue I guess. Mastermind or Inquisitive would probably still have a decent INT.

Oh? I have one of each. I will await their character sheets.

• Options
    Dizzy D wrote: »

Oh? I have one of each. I will await their character sheets.

Nevermind, I read the actual class descriptions and Inquisitive uses WIS (Insight) instead of INT (though it has some Investigation abilities) and Mastermind fluff wise would require some INT, the class itself doesn't use it for anything. It would fit the archetypes though to have at least some intelligence. You are the analytical fighter in the first and a master tactician in the second.

Thank you WOTC, I was worried for a moment that we were going to have a reason to have high INT on anything else than a wizard.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Yeah, I dislike the stats of DnD when its shit like this. Booksmart=INT=Wizard. There's other classes that benefit from a high INT, but always as their second or third highest stat.

• Options
    The way the Inquisitive uses WIS kinda makes sense, but I can see it also working for INT: you do an Insight check against a creature against its Deception. If you succeed you get to make sneak attack on that creature even if you don't have advantage (as long as you don't have disadvantage). As it is, it's more "he will fall for my feint attacks" instead of my interpretation as a Midnighter-like "I have fought this battle already a thousand times in my head."

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I dislike the stats of DnD when its shit like this. Booksmart=INT=Wizard. There's other classes that benefit from a high INT, but always as their second or third highest stat.
    Are you a STR primary class? Enjoy your out-of-combat proficiency being Athletics checks and literally nothing else.

• Options
    Finished up my guy this morning. Gideon is a pirate on the run after he double crossed his captain and crew to keep a possessed rapier.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Oh hey new content, this artificer is indeed feeling rad as hell reading through it.

• Options
    every 2 int over 12 gives a free skill proficiency in my games, 4 gives an expertise, because i feel like its the only stat that doesn't get any real love compared to the others

• Options
    In what way? INT has 5 associated skills (tied most), STR has 1.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    STR has multiple other mechanical implications, namely that the strength check (athletics) is the one used to not get grappled by monsters with grapple mechanics

Without homebrew, your INT skill checks will never matter for your character's survival in a direct capacity, and STR saving throws are INCREDIBLY common compared to INT

Like sure having good History is cool, but having good Athletics gets you out of a grapple, having good Wisdom lets you spot danger and not get surprised, Con and Dex are self explanatory, and Charisma lets you get things without effort, get better rewards, etc - a first level spell bypasses INT's strongest mechanical skill, Arcana, in a lot of ways

Int skills, practically, are about obtaining extra lore, which is cool, but so far none of my players have had a problem with this change and the ones whove taken 14 int for RP reasons are very happy

override367 on
  • Options
    Oh, you mean in-combat? That's fair, personal tastes and all, but I'll take out-of-combat benefits over in-combat ones any day, and playing a STR based character made me miserable out of combat (it's fine if you don't mind playing a clown that keeps fucking up basic shit, but this was not that kind of character).

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I have homebrew to give strength characters out of combat benefits as well, if they can explain how they do it, I'll let them do a STR(Literally any non-intelligence skill) check.

Whenever they do deception though I'll usually run Strength (Intimidation) if they fail Charisma (Deception or Persuasion). Yes they see what you're up to. No they don't want to die.

override367 on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    If you can spin good yarn on how you're doing anything, I'll let you roll whatever you want.

If you can sufficiently and/or humorously explain how you romance the prince/hoodwink the mayor/pants the troll by using, say, animal handling? Then by gods, roll that dice!

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    If you can spin good yard on how your doing anything, I'll let you roll whatever you want.

If you can sufficiently and/or humorously explain how you romance the prince/hoodwink the mayor/pants the troll by using, say, animal handling? Then by gods, roll that dice!

Whips and chains are animal handling implements

• Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    If you can spin good yard on how your doing anything, I'll let you roll whatever you want.

I had one of these where the druid flirted up a guide using animal handling by both of them nerding out about dinosaurs

• Options
    Regular DM won't be here. So we're doing a one off.

FINE

I'LL MAKE A BABY POSSESSED PIRATE

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Regular DM won't be here. So we're doing a one off.

FINE

I'LL MAKE A BABY POSSESSED PIRATE

So is that a baby who is possessed by a pirate or a pirate who is possessed by a baby?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Is a baby a pirate if both its parents were pirates?

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Xagar wrote: »
    Is a baby a pirate if both its parents were pirates?

Duh. Didn't you study Pirate Squares?

• Options
    edited November 2019
    My copy of the Humblewood campaign setting has just shipping. Birb D&D, to go alongside dog D&D (Pugmire), cat D&D (Monarchies of Mao), space D&D (Starfinder) and other systems I keep getting because their settings are cool as punch and I want to DM at some point.

I have never DM'd. But golly, should it ever happen, I have a small library of settings to use.

Any day now.

Oh look, another cool system is getting kickstarted...

Glal on
  • Options
    "What's your character's name?"

"Gideon. Gideon Yaboi."

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Is the hedgehog society a hegemony? That is the most important question. I hope they rule over something comparatively huge, like badgers.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I have a question for the thread, a little help if you please. I have a player who is currently playing a ranger, but who wants to change up her character. She wants to, and I quote, "be a cheeky and devious little liar, with archery for my combat, able to connive my way out of almost any situation." To me this sounds like a Bard with ranger multiclass. As of right now, level 4, she is 3 ranger/1 Bard although we haven't had a chance to play since she leveled up. What can I do to help her make a character she will really enjoy? I am going to her house this weekend and we are going to workshop a character. We are about to finish the lost mines and I think that makes a good break point for her to either reroll an entirely new character or change her current character up.

One of my other players wants to switch from sorceress to druid so I will be going to her house at some point to help her as well.

And I know this is probably a weird way to do things but these are their first characters and they realized they aren't having as much fun as they thought so I told them it was ok to make big changes like this. This is actually the first time all 6 of us have played and the other day my friend called me up to talk Eldritch Knight fighter for 20 minutes. It felt great to know they are all this invested.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I have a question for the thread, a little help if you please. I have a player who is currently playing a ranger, but who wants to change up her character. She wants to, and I quote, "be a cheeky and devious little liar, with archery for my combat, able to connive my way out of almost any situation." To me this sounds like a Bard with ranger multiclass. As of right now, level 4, she is 3 ranger/1 Bard although we haven't had a chance to play since she leveled up. What can I do to help her make a character she will really enjoy? I am going to her house this weekend and we are going to workshop a character. We are about to finish the lost mines and I think that makes a good break point for her to either reroll an entirely new character or change her current character up.

One of my other players wants to switch from sorceress to druid so I will be going to her house at some point to help her as well.

And I know this is probably a weird way to do things but these are their first characters and they realized they aren't having as much fun as they thought so I told them it was ok to make big changes like this. This is actually the first time all 6 of us have played and the other day my friend called me up to talk Eldritch Knight fighter for 20 minutes. It felt great to know they are all this invested.

i don't have enough 5e knowledge to help but it is a great way to do things, good for you!

sig.gif
  • Options
    I'm admittedly riding a high from it, but you could put one level in to warlock, house rule hexblade can apply to bows, and reflavor some of the warlock stuff for ranger.

Lets her use charisma for deadly attacks and be good at talking her way out of stuff. And with only one first level warlock spell, charm would be a natural fit.

Pretty sure one of the rogue subclasses allows for CHA to sub in for attack rolls too?

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Everything she said except ranged attacks fits really well with the Swashbuckler rogue archetype. You could have her read that class description and see how she likes it?

If ranged attacking is super important I’d second the recommendation of some sort of warlock.

Also I would be liberal with ad hoc DM rulings. Go for Rule of Cool and try to fit the game to match what they want to do, even if it’s not canon.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    And warlocks/hexblades can use bows as their pact weapon at level 2 with improved pact weapon!

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    A rogue built for ranged weapons could also be a good choice. Rogues make great talkers, especially if the player puts their Expertise into Persuasion and/or Deception. Assassin is a pretty good subclass choice, as they get the ability to craft false identities and eventually can mimic others' behavior, which plays up the "devious liar" angle. If you allow UA content into your game, Rogues get a special Aim action they can use with their Cunning Action feature to give themselves advantage on their next attack roll at the cost of moving that turn, essentially turning them into a sniper. A single shot from a bow or xbow with Sneak Attack can do a lot of damage.

Zomro on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    There is also Mastermind rogue that's all about manipulating others to do your bidding via words.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Yeah, Mastermind rogue sounds perfect for that concept, to me. It lets you use both core concepts of the character (archery and being a devious liar) in practically every round of combat, by shouting out lies to confuse the enemy as a Help bonus action, and then shooting for your action.

A bard could be great for the concept, too, but would end up wanting to use spells in combat, which is devious in a different way, I think.

Potential downside of only getting one attack per turn, though, which could be fixed by branching into Ranger or Fighter. (Or Valor bard to 6?) Edit: these also give you proficiency in Martial weapons (for greater damage and range from a Longbow rather than a shortbow) and Ranger or Fighter let you take Archery fighting style. Might be worth a smaller dip.

But the higher level perks for Mastermind are so cool and thematic for this concept, I don't know that I'd want to delay them.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    I'll second a ranged Rogue; they're charismatic/deceptive by default, and being a primary damage dealer seems to fit with what they're asking for.
    The problem with multiclassing Bard is that, unless you go into specific weapon schools, you're not much for attacks. And if you're attacking you're not casting spells, which, well, why even go Bard then.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I will be honest, I had a feeling that some flavor of rogue would be best for what she wanted. The problem is my wife is already a rogue and I don't know if the two of them will be happy about that. My wife is a thief rogue, any suggestions on how I can make my friends rogue really stand apart? I guess I should read more about the other archetypes. I will definitely include UA stuff in my game if my it will help my players have more fun.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Different rogue archetypes won’t have an issue with stepping on each other’s toes. Go for it!

• Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    can confirm, different flavored rogues feel very different. my two rogues were thief and ranger/rogue (assassin) hybrid and the first one was the trap/lockpicker and the second was the scouty/sneaky. rogues play nicely together

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I'm reading and rereading Elemental Adept and I can't really with my player that it applies to sneak attack dice with booming blade

"Spells you cast ignore resistance to damage of the chosen type, and creatures with immunity to the chosen type are instead treated as having resistance to the damage your spell inflicts. In addition, when you roll damage for a spell you cast that deals damage of that type, you can treat any 1 on a damage die as a 2."

- Booming Blade is a spell that deals damage of that type (thunder)
    - There is no differentiation between the damage dice of the spell that deal damage of that type and other damage types the spell might cause

I think this makes it a stealth not-terrible feat for certain builds, although I'm still going with my home rule that 1s can simply be rerolled, because the feat still isn't that good

override367 on
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Right, Sneak Attack requirements are "combat advantage" and a finesse or ranged weapon, and Booming Blade requires a melee attack, so they would work together. Sneak Attack doesn't specify a damage type, so I suppose it's attack-elemental and would work with Elemental Adept.

This discussion has been closed.