Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I just bought a Pro Controller today.

I should have bought one on release date. This is a massively comfortable controller.

Bonus, Windows and Steam play real nice with it. Steam even lets you swap A/B and X/Y if you wanna.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Jesus. H. Christ. The writing in DxM is so anime I think my beard is migrating to my neck and my dog transforming into a waifu.

I love it.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I just bought a Pro Controller today.

I should have bought one on release date. This is a massively comfortable controller.

Be sure to update us in a couple months when the thing finally needs to be recharged. :P

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    FF8 remaster is literally the original PC version with the PSX music, much improved main character models only, and a blur filter on the backgrounds. Calling it a remaster is generous. The resolution will be much higher over the emulated PSX though.

I've been thinking the same thing. Maybe I'm weird, but I grew up with the SNES and then moved onto the PS1 and to this day I still love the way those games look. Even the text boxes in the "remaster" look really off. I feel like other games have come out with these type of remasters and weren't well received, but FF is getting a pass because FF.

Currently playing FFIX on my vita and I think it looks awesome to this day. Unless they want to do full remasters like they're doing for FFVII then just don't even bother.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    The one thing I'm a little annoyed with Deamon X Machina over is that for the most part I have no clue what any of the terms they use actually mean. Outer's, Orbital, Inner Link or Circular Link or something? And then when I'm 100% focused on the mechs flitting before my targetting reticle like horse flies, characters begin exposition dumping. That and they introduce way too many characters way too fast. I feel like this game needs some sort of glossary.

Hopefully things become more clear as I continue to play, and I didn't just totally miss things they were only going to explain once while I was fighting for my life.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    FF8 remaster is literally the original PC version with the PSX music, much improved main character models only, and a blur filter on the backgrounds. Calling it a remaster is generous. The resolution will be much higher over the emulated PSX though.

I've been thinking the same thing. Maybe I'm weird, but I grew up with the SNES and then moved onto the PS1 and to this day I still love the way those games look. Even the text boxes in the "remaster" look really off. I feel like other games have come out with these type of remasters and weren't well received, but FF is getting a pass because FF.

Currently playing FFIX on my vita and I think it looks awesome to this day. Unless they want to do full remasters like they're doing for FFVII then just don't even bother.

shrug

I like the way 8 looks. It's still very obviously the same game, just everything looks a bit nicer.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I am more of a fan of the types ff8 got than the ff7 deal. The ff7 remake should have just been a new game because it is.

The ps1 games at least take higher resolutions as a minor upgrade, but those backgrounds suffer hard.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    As long as we agree the absolute worst "remasters" are the 2D ones where they upscale some art with one kind of algorithm and redraw other art and run a filter over it and it all ends up looking like a horrible mess.

https://www.fortressofdoors.com/doing-an-hd-remake-the-right-way/

https://www.fortressofdoors.com/doing-an-hd-remake-the-right-way-ffvi-edition/

(All kicked off by a tweet from our old friend slash000!)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Oh yeah VI has to be the worst example ever. They butchered those beautiful 16 bit sprites into total abominations.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Garbage remaster is still a remaster at least. Like, they tried to spruce up all the graphics and failed miserably at it.

FF8 "remastered" is a big step up in cleanness over the PS1 version. It just isn't that much over the PC release which could already do high resolutions. Its exactly the same as the recent FF7 release plus retooled main characters.

• Options
    SulSul Registered User regular
    pshh I still choose to view every remake of FF7 as a stolen chance to rerelease Xenogears because I will never let go of this grudge in my soul.

Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    This is why I still have the disks for xenogears despite no system that can play it. One day someone will remember

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    The "HD" versions of the 2D Final Fantasies are all hideous, which is a real pity for a series that is otherwise known for good art direction and visuals. All the worse because there isn't a good way to play the old style on any modern system- they got eShop releases on WiiU and 3DS in Japan but not over here.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    For me, all SquareEnix would need to do is port the GBA versions of Final Fantasy 4-6 and I’d be happy.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Namrok wrote: »
    The one thing I'm a little annoyed with Deamon X Machina over is that for the most part I have no clue what any of the terms they use actually mean. Outer's, Orbital, Inner Link or Circular Link or something? And then when I'm 100% focused on the mechs flitting before my targetting reticle like horse flies, characters begin exposition dumping. That and they introduce way too many characters way too fast. I feel like this game needs some sort of glossary.

Hopefully things become more clear as I continue to play, and I didn't just totally miss things they were only going to explain once while I was fighting for my life.

Yeah, the game really could use a glossary.

Here's what I've managed to determine so far.

Femto: The magic space dust that appeared when part of the moon crashed into Earth.
    Outers: Humans with superhuman abilities due to Femto exposure.
    Reclaimers: Mercenaries trying to save the world from the murderous robots. All Reclaimers are Outers.
    Immortals: The murderous robots.
    Oval Link: The region where most of the game takes place. Far enough away from the lunar impact site to still be relatively safe, but close enough that there's plenty of Femto to harvest and murderous robots constantly intrude.
    Orbital: The closest thing the Oval Link has to a government. Some kind of overseeing organization that acts as a middleman between the mercenaries and the consortiums.
    Zen, Sky Union, and Horizon: The three main consortiums that want to exploit Femto to make a fat profit advance humanity and try to save the world by paying mercenaries to do all the work for them.

The mercenary companies. I'm not that far into the game yet, so there may be more to them, but here are my first impressions.

Bullet Works: Bunch of ex-military professionals. Closest thing the game seems to have to good guys.
    Panzer Crown: Small group of fairly professional mercenaries.
    Immortal Innocence: Bunch of kids trying to put food on the table.
    Western VII: Convicts trying to reduce their multiple life sentences by saving the world.
    Steel Knights: Two brothers fighting for truth, justice, and paychecks.
    Five Hells: Crazy aristocrats who got lost on their way to their gothic horror novel and accidentally ended up in this mech game instead.
    Terrors: An elite team of some sort with an agenda of their own.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    On another note: Anyone else played the Contra: Rogue Corps demo?

Yes I have, being a huge fan of Contra 3.

The demo seems to be the very start of the game so it was easy to get the idea of all the features.

However, it's a very short demo and if Konami thinks I'm spending 40 euro on a contra game in 2019 on the strength of that, they are sorely mistaken.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Ugh, fine. I'll buy them.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    No confirmation of a physical release, so I guess my Play-Asia order isn't quite getting cancelled yet.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    For me, all SquareEnix would need to do is port the GBA versions of Final Fantasy 4-6 and I’d be happy.

As long as its the "restored" version.

(Yes that's how it runs on an actual GBA!)

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSLCkPNgiA0

I don't know if I can recommend all of these in this day and age. 3 is pretty good.

4 is the best though.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    I really, really miss old school JRPGs so I will enjoy the fuck out of them, but I imagine they are definitely long in the tooth.

• Options
    I do appreciate Dragon Quest 1 for its simplicity in a lot of ways, and it's a reasonably short game. I think the max level is 30 but most people will finish in their low 20s.

Elemental attacks? What are those? You can cast HURT or HURTMORE. Deal with it.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I really, really miss old school JRPGs so I will enjoy the fuck out of them, but I imagine they are definitely long in the tooth.

Well here's the cute thing about DQ. If you can enjoy one you can probably enjoy all of 'em regardless of how they look. That being said, fuck DQ2. That final area is BUUUUUULLSHIT.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Guys, honest question. Should I beat Majora's Mask 3D? Is it worth it? How long and difficult is it on a normal playthru?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I am really digging Blasphemous. It's just so deliberate in every way. Completely up my alley.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Sul wrote: »
    pshh I still choose to view every remake of FF7 as a stolen chance to rerelease Xenogears because I will never let go of this grudge in my soul.
    This is why I still have the disks for xenogears despite no system that can play it. One day someone will remember

I keep hoping that SE will team up with Monolith Soft and let Takahashi have a chance at actually making the completed second half of Gears that he envisioned but couldn't deliver due to time/budget constraints.

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Guys, honest question. Should I beat Majora's Mask 3D? Is it worth it? How long and difficult is it on a normal playthru?

I've never played the 3DS version, but if you want to get the full ending you have to get all the masks. I used a Nintendo Power guide back in the day because it could get kind of tedious (especially the one that you have to do a quest over the three days for). It's not difficult, but it can take some time.

However, I'll never forget the WTFness of the ending, specifically what happens in the final boss fight and the area you to to during that. It's really, really weird and IMO worth playing just to see that. But don't feel any shame at using a guide because IMO it's one of the more tedious Zelda games.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

I've never played the 3DS version, but if you want to get the full ending you have to get all the masks. I used a Nintendo Power guide back in the day because it could get kind of tedious (especially the one that you have to do a quest over the three days for). It's not difficult, but it can take some time.

However, I'll never forget the WTFness of the ending, specifically what happens in the final boss fight and the area you to to during that. It's really, really weird and IMO worth playing just to see that. But don't feel any shame at using a guide because IMO it's one of the more tedious Zelda games.

Getting the Lover’s Mask was tough, even with a guide. 3-day Quest culminating in a one-shot chance to finish or start over. Worth it for the ending though.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    As a side note, if you want the final fight to be challenging, you want to do it without getting all the masks.
    Getting all of them leaves you so overpowered you can just mash attack and win easily.
    (At least in the original. They may well have changed it for 3DS. They certainly updated the other bosses)

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

You almost don't need a guide for the 3DS version, the in-game guide is extremely useful for tracking the masks and the schedules of the NPCs.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSLCkPNgiA0

I don't know if I can recommend all of these in this day and age. 3 is pretty good.

4 is the best though.

Yeah, 1 & 2 are rough. 3 is probably the best DQ game with a class system.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Nah, I give that award to 9 which is amazing.

I think one reason I couldn't finish 3 as a kid for the longest time is that the "establish your own town" sidequest is not optional, but it involves leaving a party member there permanently, so basically you have to go create a level 1 goof-off and ferry them there. But as a kid I was like "what? No I'm not leaving a party member here! I've been leveling them up for so long and I love them!"

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    establish your own town? was that a thing in 3? I must have forgotten it. 3's the one where you pick if you want the hero to be boy Goku or girl Goku, and you generate custom party members at the inn in the starting town, right?

e: oh great they have shitty redrawn mobile port art, bleh

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    establish your own town? was that a thing in 3? I must have forgotten it. 3's the one where you pick if you want the hero to be boy Goku or girl Goku, and you generate custom party members at the inn in the starting town, right?

Yeah, that's the one. There's a frontier town you have to develop (you just make a merchant character and leave them there, then visit periodically) in order to get one of the orbs.
    Nah, I give that award to 9 which is amazing.

9's definitely good, but I think I would have liked it a lot more had I been there when other people were playing it.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options

Yes!

4YEqotI.png

Correction, you do specifically need a merchant, not a goof-off.

• Options
    Yeah I'd 100% prefer the original graphics to the shitty mobile-looking graphics. Ah, well.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I wish Square would include FFT in the 10 million older games they're bringing to Switch

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    is that the original dragon warrior monsters game or a sequel that wasn't localized? I don't recognize that subtitle.

e: yeah looks like the original one. Me and my brother played that game a lot back in the day.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif