As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but while looking around for deals on Humble Bundle I saw there's a new Nintendo Switch category.

There's nothing in it yet but if they add Switch games... ow my wallet.

There are currently 40 Switch games available on the humble store at a discount.

https://www.dekudeals.com/games?version=digital&sort=metacritic&filter[discount]=discounted&filter[format]=digital&filter[store]=humble_us

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but while looking around for deals on Humble Bundle I saw there's a new Nintendo Switch category.

There are currently 40 Switch games available on the humble store at a discount.

https://www.dekudeals.com/games?version=digital&sort=metacritic&filter[discount]=discounted&filter[format]=digital&filter[store]=humble_us

Must be a region thing, I'm not seeing any.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    For newcomers who like action games, I just want to bring up the following Inti Creates Games on sale in the eShop until December 4th:

Azure Striker GUNVOLT: STRIKER PACK - 50% OFF ($39.99 → $19.99)

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - 50% OFF ($9.99 → $4.99)

BLASTER MASTER ZERO - 50% OFF ($9.99 → $4.99)

BLASTER MASTER ZERO 2 - 25% OFF ($9.99 → $7.49)

MIGHTY GUNVOLT BURST - 50% OFF ($9.99 → $4.99)

Dragon Marked for Death: Frontline Fighters - 30% OFF ($14.99 → $10.49)

Dragon Marked for Death: Advanced Attackers - 30% OFF ($14.99 → $10.49)

Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX - 10% OFF ($14.99 → $13.49)

The only ones I can't personally vouch for are the Dragon games, as I've just never gotten around to playing them.

If you've played Gunvolt before, Luminous Avenger iX is the latest title, and stars Copen, whose gameplay style I really prefer to Gunvolt's. Only issue I have is that there is a serious difficulty spike at the very end which may require you to either get grinding or get good.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

They've been selling Switch games for a while. They even had a Black Friday sale with 30% some games.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I bought Mark of the Ninja.

Willpower -10. Money -10. Happiness +10.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    So far I've bought:

I plan on buying:

Civ 7

There's a Civ 7?!?!?!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
      This will come as no surprise to many of you, but Super Mario Odyssey is pretty good! I especially like that when you get a star shine moon, the game doesn't bump you back to a hub like in previous 3D Mario games. This is something I always liked about other 3D games such as the original Jak & Daxter. Anyway, I'm a few kingdoms in so far. I have no idea how long this game will take me, but I'm having fun occasionally going back to explore previous kingdoms for more moons.

• Options
      CantidoCantido Registered User regular
      edited November 2019
      The moons are so utterly diliuted though. Odyssey needed more world's.

I think I earned three Moons by posting this.

Cantido on
      3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    • Options
      SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
      Odyssey needed more platforming. I love the game, but I come to Mario for the expert platforming, not to collect 1000 Things.

LxX6eco.jpg
      PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    • Options
      RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
      SyphonBlue wrote: »
      Odyssey needed more platforming. I love the game, but I come to Mario for the expert platforming, not to collect 1000 Things.

You got several years of New Super Mario games. Let the rest of us have this. :wink:

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    • Options
      Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
      Need you guys to talk me off the ledge or push me in on the Azure Striker games.

The tag and zap style combat looks very unsatisfying (and kind of boring?) compared to Mega Man Zero but that nostalgic art style is sooooo good. Also I love Inti Creates.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    • Options
      Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      So far I've bought:

I plan on buying:

Civ 7

There's a Civ 7?!?!?!

Typo

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    • Options
      rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
      edited November 2019
      Picked up the TellTale Batman games, since they're down to $3 a piece.

Got Dark Souls: Remastered.

On the fence about buying Skyrim again, $30 is steep for a game I already own on my toster.

So, so tempted to buy Lego City again, despite having 100% it on WiiU already. Such a gem of a game, and $9 for the remastered version with better visuals and load times just feels... wrong to ignore.

rndmhero on
    • Options
      rndmhero wrote: »
      Picked up the TellTale Batman games, since they're down to $3 a piece.

Got Dark Souls: Remastered.

On the fence about buying Skyrim again, $30 is steep for a game I already own on my toster.

So, so tempted to buy Lego City again, despite having 100% it on WiiU already. Such a gem of a game, and $9 for the remastered version with better visuals and load times just feels... wrong to ignore.

If it helps, I got Lego City a while ago and found it pretty jittery on Switch.

• Options
      XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
      Also the load times are still terrible

• Options
      TimFiji wrote: »
      So far I've bought:

I plan on buying:

Civ 7

There's a Civ 7?!?!?!

Typo

Damn. I got all excited.

• Options
        The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
        Civ 7, surprisingly, is being developed by 8bitdo

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
      • Options
        Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
        Finally hit my first outright bad Switch game- Tower of Babel was on sale for dirt cheap and reminded me of Tower Toppler, so I grabbed it.

Its garbage that could very easily have been a good game. It's a platformer based on running up and down a tower collecting loot, with a vaguely cell shaded art style.

But it's also an endless runner instead of an actual platformer, the controls are iffy, the UI is easily the worst I've seen in a Switch game and for some reason it has a techno dance track as it's music.

• Options
        Dr. Chaos wrote: »
        Need you guys to talk me off the ledge or push me in on the Azure Striker games.

The tag and zap style combat looks very unsatisfying (and kind of boring?) compared to Mega Man Zero but that nostalgic art style is sooooo good. Also I love Inti Creates.

As noted above, I find Copen's (in Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 and Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX) sort of reverse-Mighty No. 9 tactic of dashing into enemies and then shooting them more engaging.

Just shooting them works a good part of the time, too.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
      • Options
        Anyone want a $5 off coupon at Play Asia? I won't use it. Has to be over $60 to use.

• Options
          syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
          Skyrim was a perfect switch title for me, a guy who spends 20ish hours on airplanes a month.

It gave me something fun to do on flights, and honestly it is the first time I actually “beat” skyrim as opposed to modding the fuck out of it and losing interest after a while.

It had an interesting main story and the expansions were kind of great too. returning to dunmer stuff ala Morrowind was cool as hell.

SW-4158-3990-6116
          Let's play Mario Kart or something...
        • Options
          AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
          My SOP for Bethesda games is to rush through the story and then replay em taking my time and modding the hell out of them. I found out that if I don't focus on finishing the story as soon as possible then I'd likely spend hundreds of hours not ever finishing the story. That's just me of course.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
        • Options
          Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
          Axen wrote: »
          My SOP for Bethesda games is to rush through the story and then replay em taking my time and modding the hell out of them. I found out that if I don't focus on finishing the story as soon as possible then I'd likely spend hundreds of hours not ever finishing the story. That's just me of course.

I’ve had Switch Skyrim since it first came out but have been scared to start a game that big because of time constraints. I know you can spend 500+ hours in it. Is it possible to burn through the story in an actual manageable time? Say 50ish hours?

Xbox - Dodge Mega
          Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
          urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

I’ve had Switch Skyrim since it first came out but have been scared to start a game that big because of time constraints. I know you can spend 500+ hours in it. Is it possible to burn through the story in an actual manageable time? Say 50ish hours?

Skyrim's story isn't all that interesting (IMO) and the most enjoyment you'd get out of the game are all the little side quests and stuff that you run into. I've played through the story exactly once and every time I start it up I find something new that I've never seen before. Don't be scared to play it because everyone spends 500+ hours on it.

• Options
          AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

Hm, if you're going from main quest to main quest I'd say maybe 12-20 hours? It isn't as long as other linear RPGs (or story focused linear games in general) may be.

If you play for a couple hours each evening you'll likely finish within the week.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
        • Options
          WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Hm, if you're going from main quest to main quest I'd say maybe 12-20 hours? It isn't as long as other linear RPGs (or story focused linear games in general) may be.

If you play for a couple hours each evening you'll likely finish within the week.

I keep having to remind myself that Skyrim's main quest isn't the whole Empire VS Stormcloak civil war plot. Although I believe that particular plot line does intersect with the main quest the most.

• Options
          UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
          If you focus on Skyrim's main quest (Dovahkiin and dragons) before you focus on its secondary main quest (civil war) you will be able to take part in an interesting quest with political machinations and negotiations that you can miss if you do it the other way around.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
        • Options
          LD50LD50 Registered User regular
          I would think you could beat the main quest in about 5 hours if that was all you were doing, no? It really is not very long. That being said, there is well over 100 hours of worthwhile content in the game, and several questlines that are more involved and more interesting than the main quest.

• Options
          cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
          As long as Skyrim's coming up, I've gotta stan for Witcher 3.

Imagine Skyrim, but with a cool main character, dozens of colorful secondary characters, interesting plot, great dialog and probably twice the length.

Really the only thing it's missing is the giant smacks you into orbit glitch.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
        • Options
          initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
          For all the times I've started up Skyrim all I really remember is learning that you can get a weapon skill pretty high in the opening just smacking the npc with you, except that I did it one more time after you leave the cave and they immediately murdered me, I revived and went to the first town and they all immediately murdered me again. Like wtf people

• Options
          TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
          cloudeagle wrote: »

Imagine Skyrim, but with a cool main character, dozens of colorful secondary characters, interesting plot, great dialog and probably twice the length.

It's really not the same kind of game. You can play Skyrim like a bad Witcher 3 if you want, but not vice versa.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
        • Options
          The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
          edited December 2019
          Do any of you fine folks use a sling bag or whatever they're called?

I currently use a bag to hold all my crap when I'm out, but I've had it for some time and it was from before the sling/shoulder/messenger bags really became a big thing. EDIT: I have this but a slightly newer version; though I actually have that specific one too, it just got worn out. Just to give an example of what I currently use. It's worked fine, but I'd like a bit more space, and something more made for wearing comfortably longer (for example, a couple months ago I went to houston and spent days walking around in museums, and my current bag just got to be a hassle and wasn't super intended to be worn all day I don't believe

It's been fine, but I was thinking it might be nice to have something that wasn't a full on backpack, but I could still toss my Switch (in its case, I don't want a bag specifically for the switch, and this is the case I use) in without it either taking up the entire space, or making it weird and bulky with it inside. I don't have any laptops or tablets, and don't foresee getting either, I just carry some medicines, a bunch of cables (in a cable organizer that looks like this, but isn't it specifically), sunglasses, wallet, the usual things.

So I was wondering if anyone here has anything they use that they would recommend? Something that I could throw over the shoulder quickly or across the chest/back if I needed to walk around a lot with it. that has the space to toss in the switch.

EDIT: currently leaning toward this. It's a good bit larger than what I've got right now, but looks like it has more than enough room for what i'd like to be able to carry, while still being so unwieldy as to not be convenient day-to-day. There's one smaller from the same manufacturer (they've got a lot) that also looks like it'd fit everything, though tighter, but I don't like that it opens from the top, being so deep. The bag I already have, even not being deep, is annoying to get to things down at the bottom, increasing that depth by 6in or so...don't think so.

The Dude With Herpes on
          Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
          Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
          Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
          TamerBill wrote: »
          cloudeagle wrote: »

It's really not the same kind of game. You can play Skyrim like a bad Witcher 3 if you want, but not vice versa.
          Sure, but that's only because Skryim is already a bad Skyrim. And Witcher 3 can't be bad.

• Options
          UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
          Skyrim is awesome though.

There are specific playstyles it supports poorly (any damaging spellcasting) but more than makes up for it in the fun of other playstyles (stealth archery, conjuration, paralysis, shouts). And there's a great sense of adventure and exploration to everything, I still feel like most of the dungeons are designed very well and are memorable in their own way, even when using common tile sets. Even today I'd call it gorgeous due to excellent art direction and a sense of balance in visual elements.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
        • Options
          rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
          Fine. You people are a terrible influence.

Skyrim bought... again. I'm definitely going to play it this time. Probably.

• Options
          Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
          Do any of you fine folks use a sling bag or whatever they're called?

I currently use a bag to hold all my crap when I'm out, but I've had it for some time and it was from before the sling/shoulder/messenger bags really became a big thing. EDIT: I have this but a slightly newer version; though I actually have that specific one too, it just got worn out. Just to give an example of what I currently use. It's worked fine, but I'd like a bit more space, and something more made for wearing comfortably longer (for example, a couple months ago I went to houston and spent days walking around in museums, and my current bag just got to be a hassle and wasn't super intended to be worn all day I don't believe

It's been fine, but I was thinking it might be nice to have something that wasn't a full on backpack, but I could still toss my Switch (in its case, I don't want a bag specifically for the switch, and this is the case I use) in without it either taking up the entire space, or making it weird and bulky with it inside. I don't have any laptops or tablets, and don't foresee getting either, I just carry some medicines, a bunch of cables (in a cable organizer that looks like this, but isn't it specifically), sunglasses, wallet, the usual things.

So I was wondering if anyone here has anything they use that they would recommend? Something that I could throw over the shoulder quickly or across the chest/back if I needed to walk around a lot with it. that has the space to toss in the switch.

EDIT: currently leaning toward this. It's a good bit larger than what I've got right now, but looks like it has more than enough room for what i'd like to be able to carry, while still being so unwieldy as to not be convenient day-to-day. There's one smaller from the same manufacturer (they've got a lot) that also looks like it'd fit everything, though tighter, but I don't like that it opens from the top, being so deep. The bag I already have, even not being deep, is annoying to get to things down at the bottom, increasing that depth by 6in or so...don't think so.

I have a smallish backpack that I put my lunch and shit into daily, and sticking the Switch in one of those hard cases was no longer an option. I picked up one of those tablet-style covers for the tablet part of the switch and bring that along with a non-joycon controller. It works a treat.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
        • Options
          Hey folks, got a question here.

My wife just got a Switch Lite as an early gift, so she can play the games she needs to without taking over the system all the time.

She was looking into how to transfer her RPGs off, but what she found says the transfer is all or nothing?

That can't be right, can it? We have separate accounts, and I don't want to lose all my games and saves to her system, but is there really no other choice here? I could have sworn there was a way to avoid that.

• Options
          TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
          If you put her account on there and download the games shouldn’t the cloud saves take care of the rest?

• Options
          dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
          As far as I know you can send individual game save data. You just go into settings, data management, transfer save data, then send save data and then it will ask you which software/save data you want to transfer. It should show all the games you have save data for on your switch.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
          Playstation: Dipuc4Life
          Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
        • Options
          What about the games, though? Or does she just log in and redownload from the eShop?

I should probably note we haven't actually tried any of this yet; she's waiting on the microSD card she ordered online (probably tomorrow), and this is what she told me she found about the process.