As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I got a LOT of stuff on the holiday sale, something like 40% of my wishlist was discounted. I might go for another round lol

Heave Ho is a lot of fun, my son and I were laughing so much we had to take a break from playing

Heave Ho is the game that has finally freed me from having to cart my Wii U to family games nights, because until we got it the night would always hit a point where some people would want to play NintendoLand.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    This is probably a question that has been asked, but how does two switches work? My wife and I have one switch at the moment, we both have accounts on there, and we both own an assortment of games scattered among our accounts. If we get her a Switch Lite, how does that work assuming the switches pretty much never leave the house? We can both login to both switches and play whatever games, just not the same game at the same time I assume? And I'm told it is relatively easy to do a switch save transfer if they're both next to each other?

• Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    I finally grabbed Bloodstained. I was waiting for the performance patch + a sale, so now was the time. Hope it’s good. Been waiting for this for 3+ years.

Which one though? I feel like people are consistently confused by the two releases. One is Castlevania 3 and the other is Symphony of the Night.

My friends were getting confused by this in the past couple days as we talked about it. Some of them were like "heck yeah that's a great game!" and others were like "oh mean yeah I loved it!" and they were both talking about completely different games.

Ritual of the Night (Symphony of the Night) is not on sale and is the one with long standing performance issues. Curse of the Moon (Castlevania 3) is on sale and I thought always ran pretty well (considering it's a NES-style game).

Ritual of the Night WAS on sale last night, so I got it. Bought Curse of the Moon when it first came out way back when. Both are great.

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    This is probably a question that has been asked, but how does two switches work? My wife and I have one switch at the moment, we both have accounts on there, and we both own an assortment of games scattered among our accounts. If we get her a Switch Lite, how does that work assuming the switches pretty much never leave the house? We can both login to both switches and play whatever games, just not the same game at the same time I assume? And I'm told it is relatively easy to do a switch save transfer if they're both next to each other?

Each account has to choose a primary switch. You always have access to the games for that account on its primary switch, even when logged in with other accounts. Every other switch using that account is Secondary to it, and you need to be logged into the matching account that owns those games and use internet verification to launch them. Officially only one secondary switch can be using any games owned by an account at a time, though there are ways you can fake it by disconnecting after verification.

If you both want access to each other's games, then you need to designate the Switch each person doesn't use as your primary. So you would make the Lite primary and she would make the OG primary. That way when you are logged in with your own accounts, you still have access to the other's games. The downside to this is that you will lose access to your own account's games if you don't have internet.

Online service adds its own wrinkles that I don't fully understand, particularly if you are both trying to play the same game, but I think you can make it work with a family plan?

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So far I've bought:
    Killer Queen Black (free with gold coin usage)
    Katana Zero ($9)
    Black Future '88 ($16)
    Celeste ($9)

I plan on buying:
    Dragonball FighterZ
    Hotline Miami Collection
    Cuphead
    Katamari Damacy Reroll
    Civ 7
    Dark Souls
    Shakedown Hawaii

...when I figure out how much money I have left after black friday shenanigans.

Crazy thing is even with those 4 games up there I've spent less than $40 so far. They're all great games too. Man I love eshop sales.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Hang on you need 2 switches to play a full killer queen match locally? can a switch just not connect to over 4 controllers?

I wanted to have a big screen killer queen party at my place. that's a little more awkward now. I could invite a second switch owner but they'd have to also have this game i assume

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Its not a hardware limitation, see 8 player local Smash and Virtua Racing. Apparently it's an intentional choice (or license requirement?) to keep parity with the Arcade version, which only supports 4 players per cabinet, with two cabinets joined together.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Its not a hardware limitation, see 8 player local Smash and Virtua Racing. Apparently it's an intentional choice (or license requirement?) to keep parity with the Arcade version, which only supports 4 players per cabinet, with two cabinets joined together.

No, that's wrong. The arcade machine is 10 player. 5 per machine. Black scales back from there.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I picked up my Switch from Gamestop yesterday. There were probably about 15 people there when I got there just after opening. It was pretty well organized, with extra staff approaching people in line and asking what they wanted, retrieving them from the back. I got the Mario Kart 8 bundle as well as a 128 GB SD card, all with gift cards. And I got my $25 gift coupon code, which can be used today. Unfortunately, Gamestop has once again thwarted my plan to do an online purchase. I was going to use this code to get Breath of the Wild...but using the coupon brings the total price below $35, disqualifying it from free shipping. I'm going to head back over there soon.

I also decided to pick up my stuff at Best Buy yesterday. I went to the store at around 10 PM and it was a goddamn madhouse, but the line was moving quickly. I've only picked up one item that wasn't in my planned list of Switch purchases: the Joycon charging grip. I didn't realize that the one included with the Switch doesn't allow charging. Whoops!

I haven't spent much time playing the system; just got it set up, associated my Nintendo account with it, etc. I made sure to queue up a bunch of demos for download before I went to bed. Today there will definitely be some gaming!

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    From what I’ve seen you can theoretically play it 8 player with one copy of Killer Queen Black and one TV, though you do need 2 switches.

It’s been fascinating to me that 99% of the negative posts I saw when trying to learn about the game were about the lack of 8 player local multi support, and I just wonder who all of these people are who consistently have 8+ people together who want to play a single game. Getting 3 of my friends together in one place to play a game is hard enough as it is.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I picked up my Switch from Gamestop yesterday. There were probably about 15 people there when I got there just after opening. It was pretty well organized, with extra staff approaching people in line and asking what they wanted, retrieving them from the back. I got the Mario Kart 8 bundle as well as a 128 GB SD card, all with gift cards. And I got my $25 gift coupon code, which can be used today. Unfortunately, Gamestop has once again thwarted my plan to do an online purchase. I was going to use this code to get Breath of the Wild...but using the coupon brings the total price below $35, disqualifying it from free shipping. I'm going to head back over there soon.

I also decided to pick up my stuff at Best Buy yesterday. I went to the store at around 10 PM and it was a goddamn madhouse, but the line was moving quickly. I've only picked up one item that wasn't in my planned list of Switch purchases: the Joycon charging grip. I didn't realize that the one included with the Switch doesn't allow charging. Whoops!

I haven't spent much time playing the system; just got it set up, associated my Nintendo account with it, etc. I made sure to queue up a bunch of demos for download before I went to bed. Today there will definitely be some gaming!

If you ever plan on getting a pro controller, the joycon charging grip might be worthless to you. My primary playing styles are either the pro controller on the TV, or handheld, with the joycons basically glued to the system forever more. The rare times they come off, they'll never stay off so long as to justify needed the separate charger. If on the other hand you're just going to stick with the puppy dog looking grip as is, then yeah the charging grip might be worth it. And the ol' puppy dog is a fine controller, don't get me wrong. But the pro just blows it out the water.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

If you ever plan on getting a pro controller, the joycon charging grip might be worthless to you. My primary playing styles are either the pro controller on the TV, or handheld, with the joycons basically glued to the system forever more. The rare times they come off, they'll never stay off so long as to justify needed the separate charger. If on the other hand you're just going to stick with the puppy dog looking grip as is, then yeah the charging grip might be worth it. And the ol' puppy dog is a fine controller, don't get me wrong. But the pro just blows it out the water.

Well, I mainly got the charging grip because I bought an extra set of joycons yesterday too. It seems particularly useful in this instance. Two joycons can be charged on the system, and the other two on the grip.

Anyway, I just got back from Gamestop with my copy of Breath of the Wild. It was completely dead there, and it cost me slightly less than I expected. I ended up walking out with a few cents left on my gift card. I got all our Switch stuff strictly with gift cards!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Bought my wife a Switch Lite for Christmas since Animal Crossing is coming out. I really can't wait to see her reaction!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    We got the switch lite and the wifi seems to be pretty weak on this thing. Is that a common issue?

Also I want to buy joycons with the switch lite buttons for my regular switch please

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    For anyone who wants the most space for their Switch, Amazon has a 1TB Micro SD card for $199 for Black Friday.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P9W5HJV/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Reminder you have 50/50 odds or worse of getting a 32 GB chinese counterfeit that corrupts all your data when you order so cards from amazon.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Welcome to all the new Switch owners! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Don't forget there's a pretty huge eshop sale going on right now! There's punch and pie in the back, feel free to make yourself at home!

Also buy 8bitdo products.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    In other news, Play-Asia is sold out of Flap Covers until December 2nd :(
    The good news is they have some new 3rd party ones up for PO and they look pretty damn decent:

flap-cover-plus-for-nintendo-switch-lite-turquoise-615011.2.jpg

flap-cover-plus-for-nintendo-switch-lite-turquoise-615011.3.jpg

flap-cover-plus-for-nintendo-switch-lite-turquoise-615011.4.jpg

The key feature here is probably the grips added to the back of the case.

It's called the Flap Cover Plus and it releases on December 16th for $19.99.

https://www.play-asia.com/flap-cover-plus-for-nintendo-switch-lite-turquoise/13/70d6jn

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    ugh I can't make up my mind. I could grab Link's Awakening on Amazon OR pick up a bunch of collections I've been eyeing (Street Fighter, Mega Man, Castlevania, Contra) OR pick up Octopath OR pick up Final Fantasy XII.

I was able to grab a Hori D Pad for 13$ after credit so a platformer wouldn't be a bad idea but I already have Celeste, Dead Cells, The Messenger and Hollow Knight. Any suggestions? Is there a good shooter outside Doom, Overwatch and Wolf 2 for the Switch?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I might have bought killer queen black physical just to get the joycon skin. but i was already ordering stuff from bestbuy so it worked out fine. now i just need 7 more friends

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Fortnite and Warframe are pretty popular online F2P shooters. I think you hit all the retail ones though besides Splatoon.
    Street Fighter is the kind of game that will really put that d-pad to work, but I've heard that its getting tough to find online randos if that's your thing.
    Link's Awakening is charming and fun but hard to recommend if you feel forced to choose between that and other great games with vastly more content.
    I could mention a bazillion platformers but I'm not sure you want that when you're already got too much to pick from.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

My experience has been that it's kind of a pain in the ass. I made my lite my primary account and left my regular as my home-bound secondary. The amount of times you need to sign in to do stuff is frustrating.

Don't get me wrong as it's not a monumental issue. It would be nice however if Nintendo could find a better way of handling things. I also think you should be able to coop across both systems with one game but that won't likely ever happen.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Didn't realize this was coming to Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98sGdwzvfbU

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    @rahkeesh2000 yeah that's what I think about Link's Awakening. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on SF later today.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited November 2019

My experience has been that it's kind of a pain in the ass. I made my lite my primary account and left my regular as my home-bound secondary. The amount of times you need to sign in to do stuff is frustrating.

Don't get me wrong as it's not a monumental issue. It would be nice however if Nintendo could find a better way of handling things. I also think you should be able to coop across both systems with one game but that won't likely ever happen.

I've had the exact opposite experience. I've had to sign-in no more than I would with a single system. Everything with cloudsaves switches on the fly and games without cloudsave simply need to have the two systems sit close together for about 4 seconds to switch the save over. The only thing you can't do is play the same game at the exact same time on two diff systems unless you have separate copies for both.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular

I've had the exact opposite experience. I've had to sign-in no more than I would with a single system. Everything with cloudsaves switches on the fly and games without cloudsavee simply need to have the two systems sit close together for about 4 seconds to switch the save over. The only thing you can't do is play the same game at the exact same time on two diff systems unless you have separate copies for both.

Yeah I've signed in ONCE and never had to again. Unfortunately, if I play my Switch the secondary switch suspends any game being played (doesn't have to be the same game). If I fire up Diablo it boots my kid from playing Fortnite. (I know, he doesn't need to use my profile for a free game but that's where his progress and skins are).

• Options
    borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    100% on The Touryst in 7 hours & 5 minutes, according to the in-game stats. Definitely a fun little game, and it ran flawlessly the entire time. Some of the puzzle bits reminded me of Zelda dungeon rooms - “press all the switches at once” and things like that. There’s no real hint system, but I never got stuck for more than a few minutes on any one task. A bit on the short side overall, but I feel like I got my money’s worth.

• Options
    Yeah that's never been a problem for me since I use 2 switches for 1 person, so I wouldn't know.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

I've had the exact opposite experience. I've had to sign-in no more than I would with a single system. Everything with cloudsaves switches on the fly and games without cloudsave simply need to have the two systems sit close together for about 4 seconds to switch the save over. The only thing you can't do is play the same game at the exact same time on two diff systems unless you have separate copies for both.

That's odd. Literally every time I use the shop I have to log in.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Oh man, both Katana Zero and Black Future '88 are incredible. I cannot recommend hard enough. Katana Zero has this really cool VHS aesthetic. It's evident in the menus and when you beat a level it runs back through it again in black and white VHS, complete with rewind/fastforward and pause effects. In the game you get a slow mechanic but on the tape it shows everything playing out at real-speed. The gameplay is a lot like a sidescrolling Hotline Miami with slow mechanics, except you only ever have a Katana (sometimes other things but its rare) and can sometimes throw things like knives and bottles, but where it really shines is the story and the mood. There's some serious Kojima-esque MGS2 style shenanigans going on in this game, I'll leave that to you all to discover.

Some shots:

Cci6iYc.jpg
    dSIiDbd.jpg
    dRsUOvL.jpg

Some gameplay:

Here's what the VHS tape playback looks like:

A++ and it's only $9 right now too as part of the eshop sale.

Black Future '88 is a roguelike where you only have 18 minutes to climb "Skymelt's" (think Skynet) tower before your heart explodes. Certain events you perform in the game gives Skymelt material to "upgrade itself" by filling a bar, each time it fills enemies gain upgrades like resistance to weapons or better/faster firing weapons themselves. When the bar fills up Skymelt sends a named character after you Terminator style. Progression is similiar to other roguelikes, when you die or your time runs out you start from the beginning and lose all weapons and upgrades, however there are items you can unlock for progressing certain distances into the tower or doing certain things that stay with you between deaths. There are also upgrades that take time away from your limit as well as upgrades that add to it, and do everything in between. Tons of upgrades, items, and weapons. Gameplay itself plays a little like Contra, gameplay videos below:

There's also a pretty amazing intro cinematic, but I wont spoil that for you here. This one was slightly on sale for $16, but is now back to $20. Still worth it though. I highly recommend both these games.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    That's odd. Literally every time I use the shop I have to log in.
    First time opening the eShop you're asked if you want to remain logged in. If you opt out then, it won't ask again. Not sure where to set that behavior outside of that first time, though. Should be a setting somewhere, but I haven't seen it. (Also haven't specifically looked for it, so eehhhh.)

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I dont know, $30 is kind of high for Skyrim. I mean, I already own it on like 4 systems....

I can use the Master Sword and Hylian Shield!?! SOLD!!!

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    I dont know, $30 is kind of high for Skyrim. I mean, I already own it on like 4 systems....

This...is kinda my thought process too lol. I'm really tempted right now. Or I could grab Diablo 3...again.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

This...is kinda my thought process too lol. I'm really tempted right now. Or I could grab Diablo 3...again.

Did I mention the Hylian tunic you can wear? Cause you can wear a Hylian tunic.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Also, about Switchrim.

It's annoying that the game isn't moddable on the Switch...but specifically on the Switch version, they fixed one of my greatest annoyances from other releases: the random vampire attacks in town added by Dawnguard. They just don't happen anymore! So now you don't have to worry about quest NPCs getting murdered by vampires spawning in town that you didn't even see or realize were there!

Also randomly they added a new blue eyes option to Bosmer so you can make an "elf" Link with blue eyes instead of the soulless black void that other Bosmer have!

Also also the greatest thing is the addition of HD rumble for lockpicking so you can feel when you have hit the sweet spot while lockpicking which is amazing.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hey, so, my wife and I are considering picking up a Switch "for the kids" for Christmas.

There any good "here's what you need to get started" guides?

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Hey, so, my wife and I are considering picking up a Switch "for the kids" for Christmas.

There any good "here's what you need to get started" guides?

My sister is considering the same thing for her family and I sent this email to her literally 20 minutes ago:

- Save files are not on the cartridges anymore like on DS, they are all always on the internal memory of the Switch, which is 32 gigabytes. Some games take up a lot more storage space than others, like Minecraft is a big one. You can't take save files off of the Switch because Nintendo got tired of people modifying the saves and hacking and stuff, so all saves have to live on the internal memory. That's why I would recommend buying a micro SD card along with the Switch and putting it in right away, and download all your games (game data) to the micro SD, so you never have to worry about running out of space for the save data. Right now I see Amazon Prime has a 64 gig one for $15 and a 128 gig one for $20. It's good to have some space if you want to get a lot of things online and not get cartridges. But it is up to you.

- You will have to set up an account for buying games in their digital store. If the Switch is ever broken you can log in on a new Switch with that account and download all your games again easily.

- Nintendo now has a subscription fee for playing online and a couple other cool things like having your saves backed up online in the cloud and free NES and SNES games. If you pay for this then if your Switch is ever broken, you will have all your saves backed up so if you had to send yours in for repairs or got a new Switch it will be like you lost nothing at all.

- There's kind of a wrinkle with the above. Some games have several save slots, some have only one save slot. But if you make several accounts on the Switch, each person's account has its own save data. So like, Pokemon has only one save slot, but when Kid logs on as Kid he has his own save, and when Dad logs in as Dad he has his own save. But the online thing I mentioned above only applies to one person unless you buy the family plan for up to 8 people and apply it to every user. Option 1 is $20 a year, having a Family account on the Switch that everybody uses most of the time with its saves backed up and online play, and if the adults want to have a separate save from the kids you could make other accounts that aren't backed up and can't play online. Option 2 is $35 a year, make accounts for each person in the house, and have everybody covered by it. And of course you could buy neither if you don't care about online or backed up saves or the free NES and SNES games.

- There is a cute video included on the Switch (and here) about how you can manage your kids' playtime and online stuff.

- (If you have a dog like my sister does now) Dogs eat controllers and destroy delicious rubbery joysticks. One of my friends has that problem with his dog. Be careful! Official Switch controllers are VERY expensive. a pair of the small controllers are $80 when not on sale, and a pro controller is $70. The pro controller is awesome though and everyone will fight over being able to use it, it's the best way to play games long term, single player stuff like Zelda.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    So far I've bought:
    Killer Queen Black (free with gold coin usage)
    Katana Zero ($9)
    Black Future '88 ($16)
    Celeste ($9)

I plan on buying:
    Dragonball FighterZ
    Hotline Miami Collection
    Cuphead
    Katamari Damacy Reroll
    Civ 7
    Dark Souls
    Shakedown Hawaii

...when I figure out how much money I have left after black friday shenanigans.

Crazy thing is even with those 4 games up there I've spent less than $40 so far. They're all great games too. Man I love eshop sales.

Add Dragonball Fighterz to my list. It was $15 and I couldn't pass it up considering it still sells for $59.99 otherwise.

.... well my backlog is just insane now. And I have no one to blame but myself.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    For anyone who wants the most space for their Switch, Amazon has a 1TB Micro SD card for $199 for Black Friday.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P9W5HJV/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Reminder you have 50/50 odds or worse of getting a 32 GB chinese counterfeit that corrupts all your data when you order so cards from amazon.

*Shakes rage fist in mathematical*

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I was told there would be NO MATH!

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but while looking around for deals on Humble Bundle I saw there's a new Nintendo Switch category.

There's nothing in it yet but if they add Switch games... ow my wallet.