As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Some Ad Mech engineseer got a little creative and said "ambulls tunnel, how about I make a robot ambull instead of something boring yet practical like an automated drill tank?".

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Some Ad Mech engineseer got a little creative and said "ambulls tunnel, how about I make a robot ambull instead of something boring yet practical like an automated drill tank?".

Pretty much. It’s called an Ambot

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Pretty much. It’s called an Ambot

Except a robot would be heresy. So they put an Ambull brain in it.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Yup. Robocop, but it’s an alien insect instead of a family man, and a miner instead of a cop. Oh, and there’s thousands of them all over the place.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I really hope Genestealers get Ambot squads in their next book. Fits right in to the mining theme.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It was always a bit weird that they had a box of two ambots aimed at necromunda where a single one is already pretty niche and I think it even replaced a pretty new resin kit. Meanwhile no army in 40k or even killteam can take them

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I really hope Genestealers get Ambot squads in their next book. Fits right in to the mining theme.

Just use them to replace ogryns in a brood brother guard force.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    My second Ambot's getting kitbashed into a Mega Armoured Big Mek

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    I had planned to use Ambots as close combat Kastellan robots for Admech, but they are noticeably smaller.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Got the Cursed City box today and I'm having one of those rare occasions where I want to paint them. I haven't touched my paints for months, last thing I painted were a couple of Necron Warriors.

Did they recently come out with new paints again? I've been watching the paint videos on Warhammer TV and they are using a bunch of colors I don't recognize.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Got the Cursed City box today and I'm having one of those rare occasions where I want to paint them. I haven't touched my paints for months, last thing I painted were a couple of Necron Warriors.

Did they recently come out with new paints again? I've been watching the paint videos on Warhammer TV and they are using a bunch of colors I don't recognize.

There was some new stuff with indominus

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    They stopped making the Forge World paints a while back then rolled them into the Citadel line.

They all generally have primarch or heresy legion names like Lupercal Green and Corvus Black.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    They stopped making the Forge World paints a while back then rolled them into the Citadel line.

They all generally have primarch or heresy legion names like Lupercal Green and Corvus Black.

I know when I did a run to the GW store 2 years ago I saw night lords blue {this was when I was debating if I wanted to do the mantis warriors THEY NEVER SHOWED how to paint it until recently!} I just bought the paint and winged it when I started my homebrew
    6ti29esupqk2.png

As I am still debating what to use for a icon and such

• Options
    The real suck thing so far this week has been it's been super windy or I put in a lot of ot so far this week at work so I could not primer as the last two days have been perfect for it but I was at work!

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

I know when I did a run to the GW store 2 years ago I saw night lords blue {this was when I was debating if I wanted to do the mantis warriors THEY NEVER SHOWED how to paint it until recently!} I just bought the paint and winged it when I started my homebrew
    6ti29esupqk2.png

As I am still debating what to use for a icon and such

No suggestions on design, but a suggestion of color: The exact same shade of red as the shoulderpads.
    That way you don't have to paint anything.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

There was some new stuff with indominus

Ah, alright. I remember those ones. Or at least remembering them releasing. Just didn't pay too much attention to what colors were actually released. Think I'll substitute the colors where I can, don't really feel like buying more paints right now.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Started my mass painting for my Deathwatch to be done by June 5th.

On the list are 4xincursors, 5xinfiltrators, 8xoutriders, 1xPrimaris Capt with the shield, 5xBladeguard, 6x Eradicators, 1x redemptor dread.

JGAwbUXl.jpg

This is the table ready version of an incursor. Luckily deathwatch are surprisingly easy to paint after a year of painting ad mech and years of painting heavily detailed chaos marines. 40 minutes to get table ready with a base isn't bad. I have a list of things I want to do to get them better but this is fine for 3 color minimum.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    You can do it, Mazzy - it's only 30 models, mostly infantry!

• Options
    So. I want to assemble my last unbuilt Warlord before the Warmaster arrives next week. Except I can’t find the instructions.
    Oh well, here we go anyway. Wish me luck?

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    So. I want to assemble my last unbuilt Warlord before the Warmaster arrives next week. Except I can’t find the instructions.

https://m.imgur.com/r/WarhammerInstructions/6QAOKaW

A reason to actually visit Reddit. A good resource for instructions

• Options
    Shh! No spoilers!
    (Seriously tho, it’s not been that difficult so far. Just remember that the knees are backwards and the hip pistons are mirrored not paired)

• Options
    honovere wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

• Options
    I used to browse the bloodbowl and warcry and similar reddits for cool conversions and paint jobs but the reddit went and made that impossible without using their app/making an account and nope, not interested.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Okay Got the first Eradicator done but basing.

uEcLlAUl.jpg
    nOC5OENl.jpg
    70HZIcNl.jpg
    mrzCz21l.jpg

Also I have gotten pretty good at yellow on a black primer base doing this.

Again it is just tournament ready not parade ready where I am going to go do all the highlighting and stuff.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Deathwatch has such a slick paint scheme

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Brainleech wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

Eh, that's not really fair. The thing people don't seem to get is that reddit isn't one community, in the sense that these forums are. It's more like an infrastructure for many different online communities, like the Vanilla Forums this site runs on. Each subreddit is basically it's own community, but the main reddit page exposes people to a feed of whatever threads are getting the most reactions across the whole system, which is where some of the problems come from. The parent company just doesn't provide the level of support needed to the teams moderating the more mainstream or general-purpose subreddits, and so people who otherwise might've tried to help wrote them off as a lost cause. I would definitely recommend people to stay away from the really big, generic subreddits like r/pol.

But the small to mid-size subreddits can be quite good. It all depends on the spirit of their moderation team, and its ability to keep up with the volume of posting it attracts. Like, if nothing else, r/superbowl is a great collection of owl photos and videos.

TLDR; reddit ≠ 4chan. Granted some subreddits are that bad, but many are fine. If the subject of a subreddit isn't overly-broad or obviously toxic, you should give it a chance.
    I used to browse the bloodbowl and warcry and similar reddits for cool conversions and paint jobs but the reddit went and made that impossible without using their app/making an account and nope, not interested.

Not sure what you mean? I generally only look at reddit on my desktop, so maybe it's a problem with the mobile version? I'm not a fan of the site redesign they did a few years back (incidentally, if you replace 'www' in the url with 'old' it loads the page in the old site design and all links therein will adjust to keep you on the old version), but the main difference with the new layout is how it drastically lowered the threshold at which you need to click to see more replies on a thread, and then loads a new page to do it instead of just expanding on the current page. I suspect this was done so they can generate more page views for ads. Everything else still seems to work.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Reddit is a complete shitshow where everyone isa smug asshole who is desperately obsessed with fitting in with the crowd and saying the right thing so they can get updoots and make a meaningless number bigger so they feel better about themselves.

If there is a website that has done more harm to modern society than Reddit I have yet to see it.

• Options
    That said, r/warhammerinstructions has been a lifesaver on several occasions.

• Options
    If there is a website that has done more harm to modern society than Reddit I have yet to see it.
    Uhhh… Facebook? I mean, it’s all of the above plus uncurated false advertising and literally, medically dangerous conspiracy crap, plus is more popular with the set of people who will accept all that uncritically.

• Options
    Molten blades with contrast paint!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajZhDsrGa-A

• Options
    So far, so good:
    nlhzs57ncimv.jpeg

Not sure if it’s stepping backwards to turn or something though…

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Uhhh… Facebook? I mean, it’s all of the above plus uncurated false advertising and literally, medically dangerous conspiracy crap, plus is more popular with the set of people who will accept all that uncritically.

For some reason I've been seeing a bunch of "We found a stray dog that was terrified of people and covered in mange and here we are trying to catch it and here is the recovery process and here is the dog super healthy, happy, and playing in a yard six months later" videos on Facebook lately, so it's ok with me.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Facebook is more harmful than Reddit by like, several orders of magnitude

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Reddit will lock in biases you already hold, Facebook goes out of its way to indoctinate you.

And thats before we even get into things they do with your data.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    So far, so good:
    nlhzs57ncimv.jpeg

As a stompy robot aficionado, it looks to me like the right leg is lifting up about to step forward. Just that first hesitant motion before it swings it up and forward to crash forward, possibly crushing any number of heretics.

I may have spent too long considering the posing of legs while modifying some miniatures lately....

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    so quite a while ago now I posted about making a Defiler Mound from StarCraft out of model magic, for a pet vinegaroon's enclosure.

There's good news and bad news!

Good News: I got the critter (his name is Thakras) and he's actually wonderful. Such an active, curious, gentle little nightmare monster.

Bad News: I haven't been able to introduce his Defiler Mound because in my experimental setups, the varnish on the outside of the model slowly reabsorbs water from the enclosure's substrate and turns milky/unpleasant :(

This is why it has taken so long for an update there; I wanted to give the sealer as much time as possible to properly cure. I've kept it inside, outside in the sun/breeze, the works. Quite a bummer. Not sure it's a problem I'll be able to solve at this point, outside of using something like a pour-on hardcoat epoxy resin which... I mean it's a possibility, but it's a bit expensive and messy for the job.

Anyway he has an enclosure and shelter now, it's just not cool and StarCraft themed.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »
    So far, so good:
    nlhzs57ncimv.jpeg

As a stompy robot aficionado, it looks to me like the right leg is lifting up about to step forward. Just that first hesitant motion before it swings it up and forward to crash forward, possibly crushing any number of heretics.

I may have spent too long considering the posing of legs while modifying some miniatures lately....

Ah, what you’re not seeing is the little scene of stacks of ammo boxes being unloaded from the container that is about to get crushed:
    bgsnm324oiu5.jpeg

• Options
    what scale are those boxes and barrel? Z?

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Are those the vanguard minis crates? I've got some of those in a box somewhere for when I get back to my big stompy bois. Ordered a legio Metalica Transfer sheet, so might be sooner rather than later. I have painted a thing though!
    pkQvVyG.jpg
    T-47 Airspeeder.
    Weathered the absolute piss out of it as is my want. Got shot down in flames in its first outing, but apparently Rebellions are built on crashed Airspeeders because my opponents thirst for it meant my gropos could take out the AT-ST without taking fire.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    what scale are those boxes and barrel? Z?

As far as I know the titanicus is Z scale aka 1:220