As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Mach Rider is a post apocalyptic motorcycle rider. Kind of a mysterious character, possibly a woman base on the arcade ending.

Think Samus on a bike. What’s not to like?

Mainly I’d want to see Sakurai reinvent then character, like he did for Pit.

Neat!

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    If we’re doing wishlists…

-- Waluigi (all of his moves are sports-focused in nature) [the Mushroom Kingdom franchise]
    -- Rick, Kine, & Coo (Kirby's animal friends function like Pokemon trainer) [the Kirby series]
    -- Crash Bandicoot [The Crash Bandicoot series]
    -- Crono or Frog [Chrono Trigger]
    -- The Prince [The Prince of Persia series]
    -- Thor, the warrior; Merlin, the wizard; Thyra, the valkyrie; & Questor, the Elf (they function like Pokemon trainer) [Gauntlet series]

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    1. Kunio. Riki, Alex, Ryan, Billy, JillyJimmy, Misako, and Kyoko as alternate palettes.
    2. Master Higgins. One of his alternate palettes removes his hat and makes his hair blond.
    3. Klonoa. Keep his poor jumping ability.
    4. Glory. If they can upsize Olimar and downsize Ridley they can downsize a giant robot.
    5. Popeye.
    6. Sigurd. People complain upon his reveal that he's "just Marth on a horse".

homogenized on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    See, now you’ve got me nostalgic for Road Rash. Was that ever on a Nintendo console? Road Rash Guy with bike chain flail and three nitro-boosts per stock would fit, no?

Road Rash was an EA intellectual property from back when they actually made IP's instead of just buying other peoples'. Like the Strike series. They tended to be short on character but actually pretty solid games. RR was mainly a Sega Genesis series, but there was one for the N64, and a PS1 game that eventually got a Gameboy Advance port.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Wishlist:
    1. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden, Dead Or Alive) - blend the classic 2D action-platformer item-weapons with some of his 3D fighting game stuff (must have Izuna drop for one of his throws)
    2. Yoshimitsu (Soul Calibur, Tekken) - (occasionally steam punk) cyborg dual-class ninja/samurai that reps both of Namco's big fighting game series. Has lots of distinctive moves and bizarre costumes.
    3. Shantae - fun indie game series that started on Nintendo platforms. Wouldn't be the first character to attack with their hair (Bayonetta), but still.
    4. Amaterasu (Okami) - no particular reason, just seems cool
    5. Quote & Curly Brace (Cave Story) - have both as alt costumes of one character slot, like Robin/Corrin/Pokemon Trainer/Byleth. Has some projectile weapons that behave very differently from anything the Mii gunner can do (Snake, Spur, Fireball, Bubbler Lv. 3), and the game is a landmark classic. Plus the (weapon name is a spoiler) Level 3 attack would be a good final smash animation.
    6. Any Chrono Trigger character, but preferably Ayla, Magus, or Robo. Despite their not being the main character, I feel like each of them would offer more variety to Smash than Chrono, Lucca, or Frog, and I think Marle would be a tough fit.

Honorable mentions:
    1. Chun Li (Street Fighter) - has the potential for a super bad-ass air-chase moveset in Smash
    2. Amy Rose (Sonic the Hedgehog) - could be a fun mash-up of traits from other characters, and I just really like the character.
    3. Captain Toad - provided it was like that crazy animated concept video for how to do it while sticking with the Captain not being able to jump, would be fun and very distinct
    4. Celes Chere (FFVI) - one of my favorite FF characters, a swordswoman with PK Freeze and Mii Gunner's projectile absorb special seems like a neat combo (I'm assuming her up special would be the Dragoon boots, and the side special would either be a sword move or another ice magic inspired special)
    5. Mike Jones (Star Tropics) - too much potential overlap with the Earthbound characters, but I'd love to see him included.
    6. Any Guilty Gear character who isn't Sol or Ky. Bridget for the memes, I-No or Venom for the most distinct moveset from any other Smash character. Chipp was my favorite to play as, though.

Wishlist Mii fighter costumes
    1. Geno (SMRPG) - Mii Gunner can do a pretty credible facsimile of a Geno moveset, so a good costume plus some Mario RPG-specific music would be good enough imho (although, a stage based on the hills covered in wishing stars could be fun).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    You know I gotta say

I really hate fighting Mario

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Pretty sure one of the Pokemon Gen VIII starters will be one of the new characters, because all 3 have final forms that would work pretty well for a Smash fighter. I'm guessing Rillaboom for grass type, since Gen VI's rep was the water starter (Greninja), and Gen VII's was the fire starter (Incineroar).
    y46v9h8sr6ei.png

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020

I gotta say, I really don't have a lot of patience for people complaining about yet another Fire Emblem character, in a game with 78 playable characters and counting. Like, seriously? Can you imagine if the internet was a thing when we only had 8 playable Street Fighters to choose from and 1/4 of them had literally identical movesets?

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I gotta say, I really don't have a lot of patience for people complaining about Hero, or yet another Fire Emblem character, in a game with 78 playable characters and counting. Like, seriously? Can you imagine if the internet was a thing when we had only had 8 playable World Warriors to choose from and 1/4 of them had identical movesets?

If they're not being horrific about it I dont see the problem. People can express their disappointment in constructive ways.

The "hoes mad" people are atrocious human beings no matter what, tho

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I complain about a lot of video game related things. What I don’t do is tweet horrific things at the creators.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    The western demographic as a whole probably won't ever have the affinity that Japanese players do for Fire Emblem. The history just isn't there. Most of these people had never even heard of it before Marth showed up in Melee, and then it went on to be the most represented franchise in Smash.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Odds of the goose from Goose Game getting? I'd want that.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »

If so the challenger splash screen should just be the art with no text.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2020

The goose can steal the weapons from people.

Imagine Samus, her arm bare to the world as the honking demon makes off with her blaster

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Goose should be an assist that takes any items from the stage and just throws them away.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

The goose can steal the weapons from people.

Imagine Samus, her arm bare to the world as the honking demon makes off with her blaster

They'll autocatch any item thrown at them, in case you REALLY need to counterpick that damn ROB player.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2020

I gotta say, I really don't have a lot of patience for people complaining about Hero, or yet another Fire Emblem character, in a game with 78 playable characters and counting. Like, seriously? Can you imagine if the internet was a thing when we had only had 8 playable World Warriors to choose from and 1/4 of them had identical movesets?

If they're not being horrific about it I dont see the problem. People can express their disappointment in constructive ways.

They can, but without pointing fingers there have been people just on these forums complaining about the 'anime swordsmen' shtick since the pre-release speculation about who would be in SSBU. It just gets terribly dull after a while. I'm not saying the thread needs to be only happy thoughts, but I just feel like there's a time to move on and discuss other things, complaining about n+1 FE characters isn't really any different than complaining about the nth FE character.

Also, just saying how much of a disappointment they find a character's inclusion to be, or exaggerating things by calling them merely another Marthe clone isn't constructive. Constructive would be 'I was really hoping it'd be someone with a really different look and fighting style from anything we've seen before, like someone from ARMS or Wonderful 101'. You need to both articulate why you think something's a problem (without hyperbole), and suggest a feasible way it could be improved.

But even so, I just think it's a bit silly to complaining about 8 characters being similar, when you have 70 other options. It just seems like a lack of perspective.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Goose trailer has it stealing the invite from Waluigi.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Wishlist:
    1. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden, Dead Or Alive) - blend the classic 2D action-platformer item-weapons with some of his 3D fighting game stuff (must have Izuna drop for one of his throws)

Ah, I had thought of 6 characters during my shift but couldn't remember one of them come meal break, so I fell back on being facetious with Sigurd.

Updated list:

1. Kunio. Riki, Alex, Ryan, Billy, JillyJimmy, Misako, and Kyoko as alternate palettes. Misuzu and Abobo appear as KOable hazards on their stage.
    2. Master Higgins. One of his alternate palettes removes his hat and makes his hair blond.
    3. Ryu Hayabusa. Classic sub-weapons/ninja arts for specials, modern fighting/action game moves for normals, Izuna Drop as a throw or command grab, recreates opening cinematic of the first NES game for Final Smash.
    4. Klonoa. Keep his poor jumping ability.
    5. Glory. If they can upsize Olimar and downsize Ridley they can downsize a giant robot. Or at least give some Spirit representation.
    6. Popeye. Stage based on arcade version of stage 2 to maximize cameo characters. ACA Popeye released on eShop the same day.

homogenized on
  • Options

They can, but without pointing fingers there have been people just on these forums complaining about the 'anime swordsmen' shtick since the pre-release speculation about who would be in SSBU. It just gets terribly dull after a while. I'm not saying the thread needs to be only happy thoughts, but I just feel like there's a time to move on and discuss other things, complaining about n+1 FE characters isn't really any different than complaining about the nth FE character.

Also, just saying how much of a disappointment they find a character's inclusion to be, or exaggerating things by calling them merely another Marthe clone isn't constructive. Constructive would be 'I was really hoping it'd be someone with a really different look and fighting style from anything we've seen before, like someone from ARMS or Wonderful 101'. You need to both articulate why you think something's a problem (without hyperbole), and suggest a feasible way it could be improved.

But even so, I just think it's a bit silly to complaining about 8 characters being similar, when you have 70 other options. It just seems like a lack of perspective.

At the same time, I personally feel like Nintendo has dozens/hundreds of lesser known characters that might bring something new to the table. Piranha Plant, Joker, and Terry all brought some new, interesting mechanics that other characters really didn't have. This doesn't feel like that, to me, even after watching the videos. It just kinda feels like the same old shit, but now with a bow and no counter.

And I get it (trust me) when it feels like this place can get oppressive about certain points of view, but "please don't discuss this thing in a negative light because I like it" had never gone over well.

• Options
    I'm very sure Byleth is going to feel completely different to both play as and against than the other swordies. Fair and bair being horizontal slashes will immediately be huge--aggressive offstage play and retreating fairs will be far less consistent than with Lucina, which are huge parts of her game--and having a big fuckoff lance that makes Ridley's ftilt look wimpy is wild.

And Joker didn't do anything new, they just broke Cloud in a new way :rotate:

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I'm very sure Byleth is going to feel completely different to both play as and against than the other swordies. Fair and bair being horizontal slashes will immediately be huge--aggressive offstage play and retreating fairs will be far less consistent than with Lucina, which are huge parts of her game--and having a big fuckoff lance that makes Ridley's ftilt look wimpy is wild.

Yeah, I'm not enthused that they emphatically showed how much gooder Byleth's spear is over Simons whip, because his range was all he really had going for him these days.

• Options

At the same time, I personally feel like Nintendo has dozens/hundreds of lesser known characters that might bring something new to the table. Piranha Plant, Joker, and Terry all brought some new, interesting mechanics that other characters really didn't have. This doesn't feel like that, to me, even after watching the videos. It just kinda feels like the same old shit, but now with a bow and no counter.

And I get it (trust me) when it feels like this place can get oppressive about certain points of view, but "please don't discuss this thing in a negative light because I like it" had never gone over well.

Now where did I say that? My history with Fire Emblem can be summed up as:
    1. Tried the first FE to be released in US over a decade & a half ago, gave up when the used copy I bought turned out to have a busted save battery and I'd lost an hour of my time
    2. Got Fire Emblem: Three Houses last Christmas, have played ~2.5 hours so far

My position on this isn't coming from a place of fanboyishness for Fire Emblem. My only real connection to the series has been playing a few of the characters in Smash (had a lot of fun with Roy back during the Melee days, and played Lucina & Corrin during Smash Four).

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Now where did I say that? My history with Fire Emblem can be summed up as:
    1. Tried the first FE to be released in US over a decade & a half ago, gave up when the used copy I bought turned out to have a busted save battery and I'd lost an hour of my time
    2. Got Fire Emblem: Three Houses last Christmas, have played ~2.5 hours so far

My position on this isn't coming from a place of fanboyishness for Fire Emblem. My only real connection to the series has been playing a few of the characters in Smash (had a lot of fun with Roy back during the Melee days, and played Lucina & Corrin during Smash Four).

My position is simply they aren't different enough to warrant more, so far. Robin stands out, and so does Corrin. And Lucinda/Marth are their own (exact same) thing. But for the life of me I can't even remember all of the other 3's names.

It's not like they're unfun to play against (I enjoy fighting all of them, actually! It's not like any of them can RNG instakill you for no reason), but I was hoping for something more, I think. I think the game is better with the FE characters in it, but ffs

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Yeah, I'm not enthused that they emphatically showed how much gooder Byleth's spear is over Simons whip, because his range was all he really had going for him these days.

The Belmonts' whips are faster and are bigger (and angleable!) in the air. And Byleth doesn't have a boomerang that kill confirms or throwing axes.

The Belmonts will be fine. Or as fine as they can be with that recovery.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

The Belmonts' whips are faster and are bigger (and angleable!) in the air. And Byleth doesn't have a boomerang that kill confirms or throwing axes.

Indeed.

Could you imagine them with actual good/great recovery?

• Options

Indeed.

I can and I'd rather not!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Like, I look at the other 2 series that are represented with that many characters (Mario and Pokemon) and the differences between the characters is huge.

FE just feels a bit lazy in comparison.

• Options
    edited January 2020

Indeed.

I can and I'd rather not!

I'm fairly decent with Simon but I'll never main him because of the recovery.

It's one of the reasons I main 0SS (that and she's incredibly fucking fun to play)

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    the dair upb combo out of the Belmonts is one of the most tilting ways to die in this game imo

raw usmash out of dash from ZSS is pretty up there too

I wonder if people hate dying to a high gordo or getting caught hanging on ledge by rocket hammer more

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Simon has been one of my favorite characters to play in the current Smash, but a big part of that is that I don't play online matches and my brother in law and nephews aren't at all competitive. Now, Terry on the other hand, is a fucking blast and seems like he'd actually hold up if I wanted to play seriously. I never really had much opportunity to play any of the SNK games growing up, so I didn't realize how mobile Bogard is, but it feels a little like why I enjoyed Chipp Zanuff so much in Guilty Gear XX.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    It sort of just hit me that ever since they started adding the avatar characters from FE info Smash, they’d been adding more of the series's actual combat variety on display in Smash through them, in a way that they never seemed keen to with basic Lords. Back in the day, I remember being bugged that we weren’t seeing stuff that made the different classes of unit interesting. Stuff like magic, the other parts of the weapon triangle, pegasuses, or people who can turn into dragons.

That was why I wanted Robin when Smash 4 was coming out; he could be a main character with the magic triangle. And lo and behold, now Byleth gets to show off the actual Wwapon Triangle, plus Bows. And as much as I didn’t play Fates, I must admit that Corrin is a dragon. So between the three of them, we got the weird and varied stuff that Marth and the funky bunch just didn’t show off.

So I guess my ultimate take on the FE siruarion is that I can live and let live with the echo fighters and Roy. I now have basically the full range of representation I wanted from the class system, and it feels a lot more like actually showing off Fire Emblem now. And here we could probably stop.

Though, a Pegasus would still be really neat.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    the dair upb combo out of the Belmonts is one of the most tilting ways to die in this game imo

raw usmash out of dash from ZSS is pretty up there too

I wonder if people hate dying to a high gordo or getting caught hanging on ledge by rocket hammer more

As a player I've rarely had it happen but is a 0SS out of shield/dash usmash as tilting as a flip kick down meteor or flip jump crit footstool?

Dspecial/Flip jump is easily my favorite move in the entire game

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    The weapon handling is pretty cool, because if you watched it, they're not actually "just another sword user". They're using all 4 hero weapons from the game.

-All up attack are the lance.
    -All down attacks are the axe.
    -All side attacks are the sword.
    -All neutral attacks are the bow.

That's a shockingly clever twist. And a deep reference to the weapon tree in Three Houses, where everybody can use every weapon type now too.

Particularly that the lance outranges the sword users but the axe's slow attacks are vulnerable to sword counters.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

Personally, I don't even like the FE characters at all, in fact I find fighting the Marthclones in particular real aggravating, and yet I'm by this point significantly more tired of the exaggerated screeching about ANIME SWORDSMEN than I am about the actual goddamn anime swordsmen. I swear at this rate Im going to end up liking Marth out of sheer reactionary spite at all the people filling all the forums I go to.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I don’t think think the anime swordsman griping would be nearly as bad if so many of them didn’t look alike. I’ve honestly got Ike, Marth and Chrom all confused. Is the blue hair because they’re all descendants of Marth or something? At the very least I know Lucina and Chrom are related.

Edit: I even got Ike and Roy mixed up before the edit.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Three Houses is one of the most popular and successful entries in the franchise, and is one of the more important exclusives on the Switch and one of the best games of 2019.

The idea that it shouldn’t get a rep in Smash is silly.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I don’t think think the anime swordsman griping would be nearly as bad if so many of them didn’t look alike. I’ve honestly got Ike, Marth and Chrom all confused. Is the blue hair because they’re all descendants of Marth or something? At the very least I know Lucina and Chrom are related.

Marth, Lucina, and Chrom are related, yes. Marth's the ancestor of the royal line that Chrom and later Lucina are heirs to. From what I know, Lucina actually gets introduced as "Marth" because even with time travel involved, she'd kinda rather pretend she's a hero timetraveling from the distant past than have to tell her past dad who is currently her age that she's his daughter from the future (and honestly, that is super awkward, so it's understandable).

Ike just has blue hair out of inertia, I think?

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

Marth, Lucina, and Chrom are related, yes. Marth's the ancestor of the royal line that Chrom and later Lucina are heirs to. From what I know, Lucina actually gets introduced as "Marth" because even with time travel involved, she'd kinda rather pretend she's a hero timetraveling from the distant past than have to tell her past dad who is currently her age that she's his daughter from the future (and honestly, that is super awkward, so it's understandable).

Ike just has blue hair out of inertia, I think?

The only problem with the whole "don't tell your parent that you're their child from the future" gambit is that you then risk them wanting to... uh... smash... You know... sometimes honesty is the better alternative.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531