As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC! Thread Title Update

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So pictures were taken if the low-res DC Timeline shown off at NYCC and it is....very confusing?

Like it straight up doesnt work, mathematically and also makes lots of characters very old?
    Every generation has a length tied to it (Gen 1 was 25 years, 2 was 15, etc ) and added together the present day DCU would be in the late 1990s.

Moreover, some of the real world events that are listed (namely Hiroshima and WW2) provide a real world date to use as reference and using the years listed, Batman and Superman have been active since the 1950s and are over 60 years old?

Along with other "young" characters like Wally West and Dick Grayson being in their late 40s.

Normally I wouldn't care because continuity isn't really a huge deal but DC is the one who showed this and went OKAY WE ARE PROVIDING A DEFINITIVE TIMELINE THAT WILL ANSWER EVERYTHING and whoops it just did the opposite

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Still better than inventing your own special version of the Vietnam War which happened after 9/11.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Different problems, really

Marvel provided a coherent timeline, it is just that some of the choices they made to do that are stupid as shit

This timeline just doesn't make sense and further muddies the waters after Rebirth already kinda shrugged its way through continuity

Which, again, wasn't a big deal. DC is the one going HEY WE FIXED IT and then made it even more confusing

Which is fairly on brand for big continuity stuff for them, at this point

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Waid is so goddamned proud of that new War that he invented and it's so misplaced.
    Mark Waid wrote:
    By far my favorite thing so far is finding the perfect space for the Siancong War, which is brand-new, created for this book. I've been contending for years that, just as the origin of the FF "floats" a perpetual twelve to thirteen years behind current day rather than forcing the characters to age in real time as if they really went up in their rocket ship in 1961, we should also create a "floating conflict" to serve a similar purpose for characters whose origins are tied to specific wars. The Punisher's origin, for instance, was originally tied to Vietnam, but the longer it's anchored specifically there, the stranger it gets that Frank Castle isn't seventy years old. Likewise, over the years, we've moved Iron Man's origin from Vietnam to the Persian Gulf War and so forth to keep Tony Stark from being over eighty, and it's time we found it a permanent home. Now and forevermore, those characters, along with veterans like Rhodey, Reed Richards, and Ben Grimm will be said to have fought in the Siancong War, a single conflict that will hang perpetually about fifteen years behind current continuity -- and about which you'll read more someday soon.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuPnlnfVeMA

Vic Mackey does not make a good Deathstroke

• Options

Which is a bummer because I like everything else in the clip

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Waid is so goddamned proud of that new War that he invented and it's so misplaced.
    Mark Waid wrote:
    By far my favorite thing so far is finding the perfect space for the Siancong War, which is brand-new, created for this book. I've been contending for years that, just as the origin of the FF "floats" a perpetual twelve to thirteen years behind current day rather than forcing the characters to age in real time as if they really went up in their rocket ship in 1961, we should also create a "floating conflict" to serve a similar purpose for characters whose origins are tied to specific wars. The Punisher's origin, for instance, was originally tied to Vietnam, but the longer it's anchored specifically there, the stranger it gets that Frank Castle isn't seventy years old. Likewise, over the years, we've moved Iron Man's origin from Vietnam to the Persian Gulf War and so forth to keep Tony Stark from being over eighty, and it's time we found it a permanent home. Now and forevermore, those characters, along with veterans like Rhodey, Reed Richards, and Ben Grimm will be said to have fought in the Siancong War, a single conflict that will hang perpetually about fifteen years behind current continuity -- and about which you'll read more someday soon.

This is such a weird idea.

Like you're not "correcting mistakes", you're just writing the thing that makes sense when you're writing and trusting readers to stay on top of things. They aren't anchored anywhere, because the story being told doesn't need to include a little itemized biography of the characters in it every time.

Like I forgot Ben Grimm or Reed Richards were supposed to be veterans because I can't remember that being something a writer has put at the forefront for like... decades.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Mark Waid wrote:

This is such a weird idea.

Like you're not "correcting mistakes", you're just writing the thing that makes sense when you're writing and trusting readers to stay on top of things. They aren't anchored anywhere, because the story being told doesn't need to include a little itemized biography of the characters in it every time.

Like I forgot Ben Grimm or Reed Richards were supposed to be veterans because I can't remember that being something a writer has put at the forefront for like... decades.

Plus you could just go simpler and mention "the war" and readers will automatically add in whatever they feel is the appropriate answer to that label.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

Also, Ben and Reed are supposed to be WWII vets. Don't drag their names through the mud by involving them with your pseudo-'Nam, you arsehole!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    That seems like a real rough take on people who served in Vietnam, many of whom were drafted

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    this is not the conversation i expected when opening the dc thread

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    You wanna talk about Resurrection Man

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    when do i not

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Who is your dream Resurrection Man casting and why is it Tom Jane

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    tom jane is a fine choice but my heart says it's gotta be jensen ackles

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    He is a very good choice and we are both very smart

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    i just want jensen ackles to be in everything

he has such a good voice

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    i just want jensen ackles to be in everything

he has such a good voice

I wonder if he will start doing more stuff now that he is free of Supernatural

Or if he's gonna retire off that sweet sweet syndication money

I'd like to see him in the Arrowverse

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    i'd respect the shit out of him if he up and retired, tbh

but i'd like to see him do movies

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    i....lucked into? a copy of blackest night and am finally reading it.

it is exponentially worse than i had originally imagined

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

It is a sight to behold

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

It is a sight to behold

i am fascinated by how awful this is and actively irritated someone got paid to write it

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I don't remember it being that bad, but I haven't read it since it was coming out

It's definitely no Sinestro Corps War

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

It is a sight to behold

i am fascinated by how awful this is and actively irritated someone got paid to write it

Make "sure" to grab the Blackest Night Companion volume where EVERY SINGLE ISSUE is "Oh no my loved one is back from the dead! This is really upsetting! You're not them, truly! Or... are you? Welp, that'll have to be unresolved because defeating these things is entirely up to the core book so this whole tie in was meaningless." A good 19 issues or so of that, available in a hardback trade for your reading pleasure!

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I don't remember it being that bad, but I haven't read it since it was coming out

It's definitely no Sinestro Corps War

what compounds my distate for it, personally, is how much i hate all the other non-sinestro corps as an idea

but still it is incredibly poorly written. just shockingly bad dialogue.

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I like the other Lanterns in theory but in practice the only good one in the comics was Larfleeze

The GL animated series did a good job with Red and Blue Lanterns

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I feel like some of it worked, but a lot of it felt like Sonic OC do not steal. Just X color + Y vague emotion/motivation = all the powers of Green Lantern plus...

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I can't remember if it was Sinestro Corps War or Blackest Night, but one of those events was the first time I liked the tie-ins more than the actual main event.

I liked everything in that clip... except for the fact that it was Deathstroke. The line reads were good, but none of that monologue is something Deathstroke (or the one in my head, anyway) would say/give a shit about.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The other corps should have different names like Sinestro and Star Sapphires do

Not just (color) lanterns

• Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    I can't remember if it was Sinestro Corps War or Blackest Night, but one of those events was the first time I liked the tie-ins more than the actual main event.

I liked everything in that clip... except for the fact that it was Deathstroke. The line reads were good, but none of that monologue is something Deathstroke (or the one in my head, anyway) would say/give a shit about.
    Nah I can see versions of Deathstroke totally being down with killing a horrific dictator and replacing him with his less horrific general as long as he still gets paid

Slade varies from total scumbag to merc with some ethics depending on the writer

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »

This seems to be a scene lifted from Christopher Priest's Deathstroke run. So... he would do and say that if written by Priest.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Mark Waid wrote:

this is the funniest thing i've read all week

don't worry mark. america is going to keep doing wars, you're not going to run out of wars

like you don't need a fake vietnam that happened after 9/11. they did a real vietnam after 9/11, you can just use that

Crimson King on
  • Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    That seems like a real rough take on people who served in Vietnam, many of whom were drafted

Yeah, but the soldiers of the Siancong War of ~2004 weren't, which is another reason this shit just doesn't work.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I mean... the advantage of a fictional war in a fictional universe is that they can say whatever needed to happen for their story did happen without misrepresenting a REAL war and the consequences thereof. Like if you want to tell a heroic story of your fake war, you're not glorifying a really awful conflict to do that. And if you want to tell a really grim story of a war fought for bad reasons, it doesn't require you to guess at information that's still unknown from a real conflict. Just as two examples. I'm kind of not seeing how it's such a terrible (offensive?) idea on its face?

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    It seems like a solution begging for a problem

Like yeah, you're right, it doesn't make sense that Punisher was in Vietnam

But it also doesn't make sense that he was an angel that one time, or a Frankenstein, and yet somehow people manage to deal with that

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    It seems like a solution begging for a problem

Like yeah, you're right, it doesn't make sense that Punisher was in Vietnam

But it also doesn't make sense that he was an angel that one time, or a Frankenstein, and yet somehow people manage to deal with that

This sort of argument gets bandied about a lot when this sort of things comes up. These seem like two kinds of very different versions of not making sense. Each piece of media sets up its own internal logic you need to buy-in for in order to enjoy it. I can buy in to Zombies and super science and magic. Heck it's not even hard. These are all classic ideas which Im very familiar with. That doesn't affect the fact that much comics is difficult for me to get past. Comic book hyper time doesn't make sense to me and actively pushes me away from some stories. Anything that reminds me that Kitty Pryde has aged a lot more than the original X-men irks me. Im fine with Magneto being very old and therefore being able to be connected to WW2 but when they try to act like he was alive during WW2 and also is young in present day that makes it harder for to take. We were all discussing how the DC timeline doesn't seem to make sense. It clearly matters to people.

That said this doesn't solve that problem for me either.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Fine, fine, I'll create a Marvel chronological timeline.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Fine, fine, I'll create a Marvel chronological timeline.

Should I start posting the Pepe Silvia pictures now?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    It seems like there's an awful lot of thought put into working out accurate time lines in comic books considering how many time altering mcguffins and characters are in play in both DC and Marvel settings.