As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Raid Area 51 / Great Area 51 Massacre of 2019

RichyRichy Registered User regular
edited September 2019 in Debate and/or Discourse
The truth is out there, and today is the day some idiotsbrave souls will naduro-run at it. I figured that's worth a thread!

So in case you've been living under a rock for this past year, some guy created a Facebook event "let's raid area 51". The idea is the US army can't stop all of us (spoiler: they can) and if we naduro-run we can be faster than bullets (spoiler: we can't), so let's go see some aliens! (spoiler: we won't). Though meant as a joke, the event gathered enough attention to get an official respones from the Air Force, and to spin off a weeked-long music festival, Alienstock.

So, let's talk about the events happening this weekend, and maybe Area 51 news in general!

sig.gif
Richy on

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Are we doing a thing, or is it not “Naruto”?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The reporters face explains it all.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So how many idiots gonna get killed today? I'm guessing at least two.

Edit: "idiots" seems flippant, I realize there's a lotta crossover between this crowd and the Qanon types, and a not insignificant portion of them seem mentally unsound and vulnerable to thinking it's actually a great idea to run in there.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    So how many idiots gonna get killed today? I'm guessing at least two.

Edit: "idiots" seems flippant, I realize there's a lotta crossover between this crowd and the Qanon types, and a not insignificant portion of them seem mentally unsound and vulnerable to thinking it's actually a great idea to run in there.

I expect zero casualties caused by the application of lethal force by paramilitary security. If any people die, it will be due to them being ill-prepared physically and/or logistically to operate in desert conditions.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Wouldn't they just be military security, rather than paramilitary?

These are, you know, actual military bases. Not Haliburton operations.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    The military can just stand at the edge of the base and direct the parched wheezing individuals to stagger into the booking line.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    A decent amount of external security at these bases is done by contractors. But this whole thing is a nothingburger.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I hope you're correct! The last couple years have drained all my faith in things happening the way they're supposed to.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    The videos show porta-potties for like, a crowd of several thousand. But only two dozen cars are there right now.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    There are a lot of obvious photoshops floating around showing several thousand people. The only legit looking pictures have like a few dozen people with funny signs. I feel like everyone who actually showed up is there for the memes, not to get arrested/shot. I feel kinda let down.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Still just quarter after seven in the morning there, though.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    There are a lot of obvious photoshops floating around showing several thousand people. The only legit looking pictures have like a few dozen people with funny signs. I feel like everyone who actually showed up is there for the memes, not to get arrested/shot. I feel kinda let down.

At the same time, this was easily the most likely outcome.

• Options
    I would wager several dollars that there will be more media there than actual participants.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    I would wager several dollars that there will be more media there than actual participants.

Eating contests are not a thing in Norway. However, a local sausage manufacturer decided to host one. This garnered a lot of media attention (since, again, eating contests are not a thing).

End result was that all the contestants withdrew, save one, when they saw the massive media presence. The one remaining contestant ate a single sausage and won.

With luck, we may be seeing something similar here.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    So far the turnout seems to be a few dozen people made up of 90% mid-tier streamers and 10% food trucks, everyone is just photobombing each other with the Naruto run. Nobody actually stupid enough to get shot.

Somebody's going to cross the line for clicks, but they'll end up like the two YouTubers last week who were detained and then sent home minus a camera drone, they won't get within twenty miles of the lethal force zone.

If anyone actually dies it'll be exposure. Or landowners. There's an organized and armed civilian night watch in Rachel just waiting for somebody to camp on posted land.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    So far the turnout seems to be a few dozen people made up of 90% mid-tier streamers and 10% food trucks, everyone is just photobombing each other with the Naruto run. Nobody actually stupid enough to get shot.

Somebody's going to cross the line for clicks, but they'll end up like the two YouTubers last week who were detained and then sent home minus a camera drone, they won't get within twenty miles of the lethal force zone.

If anyone actually dies it'll be exposure. Or landowners. There's an organized and armed civilian night watch in Rachel just waiting for somebody to camp on posted land.

Like, wishing and hoping someone trespasses so they can legally murder them?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Yes

• Options

The history of rural landowners patrolling their lands with guns and radios doesn't bode well for the guy who parks his camper on the wrong side of a sign.

• Options
    While we wait for the shooting to start, here's some relevant entertainment: A lawyer gives a legal breakdown of what would happen if anyone was dumb enough to break into a US military base:
    I asked [a military prosecutor] what would happen if thousands of civilians stormed Area 51 and where they would be tried. His response was "they wouldn't be tried anywhere, because they'd be dead." So, there's that. Goodnight everyone!

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    A couple YouTubers showed up last week, crossed the outermost warning line and used a drone to try to photograph the site. As far as I can tell they were arrested by the sheriff's department and sent back home minus the drone. A lot of UFO enthusiasts have crossed the outer line over the years, and most were quickly intercepted and removed having seen nothing. Some have been charged but I don't know of any being shot. None of them got anywhere near the base, though. It looks like open desert but the detection out there is top notch, either civilian o military police are on their way before you get within twenty miles of the fence.

Hevach on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    A couple YouTubers showed up last week, crossed the outermost warning line and used a drone to try to photograph the site. As far as I can tell they were arrested by the sheriff's department and sent back home minus the drone. A lot of UFO enthusiasts have crossed the outer line over the years, and most were quickly intercepted and removed having seen nothing. Some have been charged but I don't know of any being shot.

Nobody wants to end up shooting someone for being an idiot. And a lone individual is easy to just apprehend, and there's no way to sneak up when its in the middle of flat open land like that.

An actual rush of lots of people wouldn't leave that option, but I don't know how they'd actually react. There's a difference between what they can legally do and what they would actually do (or what their standing orders are).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    A couple YouTubers showed up last week, crossed the outermost warning line and used a drone to try to photograph the site. As far as I can tell they were arrested by the sheriff's department and sent back home minus the drone. A lot of UFO enthusiasts have crossed the outer line over the years, and most were quickly intercepted and removed having seen nothing. Some have been charged but I don't know of any being shot.

Nobody wants to end up shooting someone for being an idiot. And a lone individual is easy to just apprehend, and there's no way to sneak up when its in the middle of flat open land like that.

An actual rush of lots of people wouldn't leave that option, but I don't know how they'd actually react. There's a difference between what they can legally do and what they would actually do (or what their standing orders are).

I can say they would set up non-lethal force first. Most folks won't really try to push past some water cannons and tear gas. Anyone who tries to cross that will be in small enough numbers the military can arrest them.

This was all very likely to lead even in the giant run at the base to no one being killed unless someone was dumb and pulled a weapon.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    There's like 50 dudes out there and approximately 100% of them are there to film the carnage from a safe distance. YouTubers being YouTubers, SOMEBODY is going to cross the line just to one up everyone else and win the competition for clicks, but it won't be a huge group at once, nobody who showed up actually seems to intend to take part in the raid.

It will be hilarious if somebody gets a face full of sand and an MP boot on their back while streaming live, and that person will be internet legend for at least a month before we all forget about them.

And then briefly again in six months when some tabloid rag notes that all their social media accounts are still idle.

Hevach on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Even if it were a movie World War Z horde, I assume base security would first use the latest in non-lethal crowd control devices before mortars and hummers with miniguns get rolled out.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The idea that gate guards would be shooting people is nonsense. They have a continuum of force that unlike the police is actually standardized and followed.

The gates at major bases are run at on a somewhat regular occurrence with no real incident beyond the occasional arrest.

Whatever few dozen people decide to run at the gate will discover very quickly how effective less than lethal ordinance is. And given the advanced notice the base likely just shut down and locked up everything non-essential.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Even if it were a movie World War Z horde, I assume base security would first use the latest in non-lethal crowd control devices before mortars and hummers with miniguns get rolled out.

There's also the incredibly effective countermeasure of reinforced locked doors.

Steel and concrete don't really care how many people managed to jump a fence.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »

There's also the incredibly effective countermeasure of reinforced locked doors.

Steel and concrete don't really care how many people managed to jump a fence.

A good point - then they can just take their time detaining people. And the average person there would probably be stopped by your average magnetic lock door, wouldn't even need reinforcement.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I have an acquaintance who somehow made it out there...sort of. See he went to Vegas first, and plans to spend all today in Vegas and head to Area 51..tomorrow. I pointed out the flaw in this and he was like "Nah man the party will still be going on for like 3 days.

I think he might be dumb.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, I would expect a fully non-lethal response here short of a massive and hostile mob looking to pull the base down with their bare hands. The likelihood that Area 51 has anything actually secret they can't move or protect is pretty slim considering it's been a non-secret-facility for decades now.

My preferred response would be that the gates get rushed, but they open before anybody can reach them. Waiting for the mob is a collection of tour guides who walk them through an open tour of what is now a completely boring, normal training base, except for a couple locked broom closets with "SECRET" hastily spraypainted on them. Then they shuffle the mob out at taserpoint, thus guaranteeing a million more years of idiots insisting talking alien heads are being kept at Area 51.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    As much as I love that kind of idea, the last thing the US Military wants is the public perception to be 'oh, if like a thousand of us show up, they'll just give us an exclusive guided tour and then a fond scruff of the hair before sending us on our way'.

These folks are begging to be made an example of, and the point to be made is that 'us telling you to stay away from secure facilities is not a polite suggestion.'

I'm not saying they should break out the tear gas and riot shields from the start, but at best 'here's a bottle of water, go back the way you came, you have 15 seconds to comply' sort of handling. It need not be violent, but 'this was a futile endeavor that others would be wise not to attempt to repeat' is what I feel is most likely to be conveyed.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Stupid internet bullshit is bad enough on the internet.

When it spills over into the news and real life I just feel... so tired. So disappointed in my fellow man.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Yeah, I would expect a fully non-lethal response here short of a massive and hostile mob looking to pull the base down with their bare hands. The likelihood that Area 51 has anything actually secret they can't move or protect is pretty slim considering it's been a non-secret-facility for decades now.

My preferred response would be that the gates get rushed, but they open before anybody can reach them. Waiting for the mob is a collection of tour guides who walk them through an open tour of what is now a completely boring, normal training base, except for a couple locked broom closets with "SECRET" hastily spraypainted on them. Then they shuffle the mob out at taserpoint, thus guaranteeing a million more years of idiots insisting talking alien heads are being kept at Area 51.

It would be like the alien autopsy room in the Pentagon.

Except that room is actually a bunch of tech nerds not a broom closet.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I honestly think it's hilarious. Stupid, but hilarious. I hope no one gets real dumb about it, but this isn't the first the region has seen of interest in the base, and I'm sure the local businesses that are based in tourism are absolutely fine with whatever got these folks to spend money in the locality. Like roswell has to be doing a better turn than usual this weekend. It's a tourism town thing. You stop caring what brings the people so long as it keeps bringing the people.

We literally put witches on the police uniforms in my city cause witches are why we're famous, and what brings us tourism dollars every year.

Sleep on
  • Options
    Everything I've ever read says the people in Rachel, NV who don't own the tourist traps just want to be left alone and they're tired of the UFO weirdos. Which is pretty typical tourist town stuff, too.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I have an acquaintance who somehow made it out there...sort of. See he went to Vegas first, and plans to spend all today in Vegas and head to Area 51..tomorrow. I pointed out the flaw in this and he was like "Nah man the party will still be going on for like 3 days.

Dunno, seems like dude just wanted to take a vacation to Vegas. If he wants to Naruto run, at least when he's done he can go play some Blackjack.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

Dunno, seems like dude just wanted to take a vacation to Vegas. If he wants to Naruto run, at least when he's done he can go play some Blackjack.

He also has no money and spent the last of what he had on hotel and airfare TO Vegas and the bus ticket. He makes his own like pins and plans to sell enough somehow at Area 51 to get airfare back home.

Except hes not going today. When the event is happening.

I think Rachel, NV just got a new permanent resident.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The property owners are probably a bigger danger to the attendants than the actual military

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Kind of amazing that we live in an age where this could happen

Like, if you got wind of what USAF base certain research was happening at, you could try to create a memetic weapon and gather a mob there to shut down the development or get it moved as a security precaution. Totally deniable, nobody there connects back to you... That's some cyberpunk shit

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Kind of amazing that we live in an age where this could happen

Like, if you got wind of what USAF base certain research was happening at, you could try to create a memetic weapon and gather a mob there to shut down the development or get it moved as a security precaution. Totally deniable, nobody there connects back to you... That's some cyberpunk shit

Well I mean we've lived in a cyberpunk dystopia for almost a decade now so it makes sense.