As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You wanna pizza my [movies] thread?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    I liked Dan in Real Life

Even though it had Dane Cook. Would have been better without him.

It and Mystery Men are the only movies with Dane Cook worth watching ever. He's the blurst. But I do love Dan in Real Life. It's just sweet. And Steve Carrell is just so great in it.

Waiting is good in spite of Cook

it is also the most accurate movie about the service industry ever

dane cook and ryan Reynolds is a real double whammy though

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I couldn't stand Waiting. Like when I saw it I worked in fastfood and it felt like it was a movie written by someone who believes all the bullshit stories people tell about "what really goes on" at restaurants.

It was like trying to be office space for service industry folks but lacked the humor for me. And its aged terribly as there is a running "joke" in the movie about exposing yourself to people without their permission.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I couldn't stand Waiting. Like when I saw it I worked in fastfood and it felt like it was a movie written by someone who believes all the bullshit stories people tell about "what really goes on" at restaurants.

It was like trying to be office space for service industry folks but lacked the humor for me. And its aged terribly as there is a running "joke" in the movie about exposing yourself to people without their permission.

I think Waiting is aspiring to be wish-fulfillment, rather than a spot-on portrayal. Like, the "fucking with asshole's food" stuff. Does everyone think about it? Sure. Has anybody done it, ever? Nah. That shit can get you, like, arrested.

I never really got into the movie, even in my food service days. I thought it was mean-spirited and dumb.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

as a person who has worked in restaurants, all that shit is 100% real

all of it

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I liked Dan in Real Life

It and Mystery Men are the only movies with Dane Cook worth watching ever.

Mr. Brooks is easily the best film featuring Dane Cook.

The ending of the film is cathartic.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I tried to watch Waiting recently because I remembered really liking it.

The RAMPANT homophobia was way too much though. It's bad. Real bad.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Is Boy Erased any good? And how soul destroying is it?

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I liked Dan in Real Life

It and Mystery Men are the only movies with Dane Cook worth watching ever.

Mr. Brooks is easily the best film featuring Dane Cook.

The ending of the film is cathartic.

I completely forgot that movie existed. Well then. I amend my list.

Addendum: I've also never seen Waiting, so I can't really comment on it or on Cook in it.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Kevin Smith is getting a star in the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and watching him be inducted by both his daughter and Ben Affleck makes me happy for the dude.

• Options
    dane cook was well-cast in American Gods

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    He's found his way into some good media but boy oh boy do I dislike that man

• Options
    I actually think he's a significantly better actor than Ryan Reynolds, especially when the latter is in Comedy Mode

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Dane Cook is in Waiting for like four minutes.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Deadfall wrote: »

And he manages to be homophobic in all 4 of them...except for like the 5 seconds he's pulling out his pubes.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

And he manages to be homophobic in all 4 of them...except for like the 5 seconds he's pulling out his pubes.

His expression at the end when he's getting called out when he didn't do shit was great.

I really like Waiting!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    The direct to DVD sequel Still Waiting is way better, and not just because it lacks those corny jabronis.

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

His expression at the end when he's getting called out when he didn't do shit was great.

I really like Waiting!

I loved it when I was younger.

It's still hilarious in parts but I can't ignore how often they use homophobic slurs and how they make it seem like calling someone gay is a put down.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Mister Brooks deserves a sequel

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Too many Cook can spoil the broth

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    what do the beast riders of the hellscape gotta do with anything

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    For a supposedly-realistic portrayal of the food service industry, they sure didn't have enough line cooks on cocaine

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    For a supposedly-realistic portrayal of the food service industry, they sure didn't have enough line cooks on cocaine

most of my, if I may be so bold, extensive knowledge of illicit substances comes from the fact that I was a dishwasher and mostly friends with cooks and/or chefs back in the day

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Too many Cook can spoil the broth

But they fill our hearts with so much loooooove!

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options

they were all at least alcoholics or high, which still lines up

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I like Detention a lot and Dane Cook's the shit-ass principal in it.

Planet Starclaw.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Jeremy Renner has reportedly been accused of threatening to kill himself and former wife Sonni Pacheco.

According to a report from TMZ filed Monday, Pacheco is asking for sole custody for herself and monitored visitation for Renner regarding their daughter. Last November, Sonni has alleged, the Avengers actor was drinking and doing cocaine at a club when he started "talking about killing Sonni" because he "could not deal with her anymore and he just wanted her gone."

Furthermore, the report states that Sonni alleges the nanny heard Jeremy saying he would "kill [Sonni] and then kill himself" because "it was better that Ava had no parents than to have [Sonni] as a mother."

TMZ-obtained legal documents also allege that Renner once placed a gun in his mouth and threatened to kill himself, ultimately—according to their report—firing the weapon into the ceiling.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Oh dear

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    O_O

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    He's a piece of shit for threatening to kill his ex wife, but that also reads like someone with severe depression and I hope he can get treatment for it beyond a bottle.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I hadn’t seen The Nightmare Before Christmas since... high school? A whole lot of years.

I just watched it with my kid, who’s almost two and half, and he loved it. He’s really taken to Halloween stuff this year so I figured he’d be fine. His only problem was he couldn’t decide if Oogie Boogie looked more like a teddy bear or a dinosaur.

Somehow after years of over merchandising and seeing those designs everywhere, when I actually sit down and watch the movie, it’s still so visually exciting. You just want to look at every corner of the frame, every character design, every prop and location. I’ve been so sick of Burton for so many years (I know he didn’t direct it, but he’s all over that movie), but I’m thinking I should go back to his older stuff. It’s been a long time.

Henry Selick's stuff is great

• Options
    He's a piece of shit for threatening to kill his ex wife, but that also reads like someone with severe depression and I hope he can get treatment for it beyond a bottle.

he has a history of abuse accusations, and threatening suicide as a means of controlling the dialog is a big marker

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

he has a history of abuse accusations, and threatening suicide as a means of controlling the dialog is a big marker

I understand its use by abusive people, but people with drug problems and depression also are abusive and threaten to kill themselves.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I hadn’t seen The Nightmare Before Christmas since... high school? A whole lot of years.

I just watched it with my kid, who’s almost two and half, and he loved it. He’s really taken to Halloween stuff this year so I figured he’d be fine. His only problem was he couldn’t decide if Oogie Boogie looked more like a teddy bear or a dinosaur.

Somehow after years of over merchandising and seeing those designs everywhere, when I actually sit down and watch the movie, it’s still so visually exciting. You just want to look at every corner of the frame, every character design, every prop and location. I’ve been so sick of Burton for so many years (I know he didn’t direct it, but he’s all over that movie), but I’m thinking I should go back to his older stuff. It’s been a long time.

Henry Selick's stuff is great

Unlike Burton, I still very much like Selick. Coralline was terrific, and still one of the only movies I’ve seen in 3D that genuinely added to the experience.

I know those movies take a long ass time to make, but it’s been, what, ten years since his last feature? I hope he’s able to get more stuff made.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I just heard what sounded like a small country all screaming YAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSS at once, I wonder what happene-

oh

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hmmmm
    Is she a good actress?

I mean, I've seen her in several things. But I can never pin down if she's actually any good

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Hmmmm
    Is she a good actress?

I mean, I've seen her in several things. But I can never pin down if she's actually any good

I think she's good! she's in Big Little Lies, the Good Acting Show

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Hmmmm
    Is she a good actress?

I think she's good! she's in Big Little Lies, the Good Acting Show

I think she's competent, but makes safe choices and is never especially surprising or interesting

• Options
    I don't know the backstory here or where it comes from but I randomly stumbled on this pic and I love it.

e3xwxml9irbz.jpg

• Options
    the backstory is that the steak was good, that seems obvious

This discussion has been closed.