As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] Iran Response: Missile strikes US Al-Assad, Kirbil base in Iraq pg 90

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    NSFW audio.

Someone (Greenpeace, I think?) Has hung a banner from Trump Tower in Vegas calling him out for betraying the Kurds.

Paul Lidcul is some dude on twitter

It is fake.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Fascinating - I don't think I actually have the vocabulary to articulate how infuriating that "they weren't with us at Normandy" comment is. My thought process is basically extended keyboardmashing with some obscenities coming through the jabber.

I'm... almost impressed he can keep getting worse?

That said, I'm positive that a day or two after he hears that Democrats are pissed off at the Kurdish betrayal he's going to start going on about how they've been the enemy all along...

He probably got it ultimately from a garbage Townhall article.

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2019/10/08/critics-aghast-as-trump-keeps-word-about-no-more-wars-n2554328
    Let’s have some real talk, because the Orange Man Bad side of the debate – the side that suddenly is all hopped up on war juice – offers nothing but hack clichés to support its amorphous position. The Kurds helped destroy ISIS, true. It’s also true that the Kurds would have fought ISIS anyway, since the psycho caliphate was right next door. Let’s be honest – the Kurds didn’t show up for us at Normandy or Inchon or Khe Sanh or Kandahar. The Syrian Kurds allied with us in their homeland because we shared a common interest in wiping out the head-lopping freak show that was ISIS. Moreover, all Kurds are not equal. The PKK – the Kurdistan Workers' Party – are a bunch of commie terrorists who have been fighting the Turks for a long time. Those reds are no friends of ours, and it’s their antics that seem to be inspiring the Turkish campaign. I have little use for the Turks, but they aren’t just picking this fight for Schiffs and giggles. The fact that it’s all so confusing is a really, really good reason for us to stay the hell out of it.

Here is another Trump comment:
    CNN reporter:

Couscous on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Alliances are very easy."

especially when you're as great at making deals as Trump!

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    NSFW audio.

Someone (Greenpeace, I think?) Has hung a banner from Trump Tower in Vegas calling him out for betraying the Kurds.

It is fake.

the person running that twitter account seems like a real classy person /sarcasm

• Options
    Awwwww
    Kruite wrote: »
    NSFW audio.

It is fake.

the person running that twitter account seems like a real classy person /sarcasm
    Yeah I went through and it's a total Garbo account.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    My bad, folks, sorry

• Options
    My bad, folks, sorry
    its ok it happens to everyone at some point
    <3

• Options
    "Alliances are very easy!"

So is shattering them!

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    So why did turkey attack? How long has this conflict been going and how long have we been involved? I really don't know the details of this. I thought turkey was an ally, although with a murderous dictator.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    RickRude wrote: »
    So why did turkey attack? How long has this conflict been going and how long have we been involved? I really don't know the details of this. I thought turkey was an ally, although with a murderous dictator.

Turkey's an ally in the sense of being a NATO member officially on paper, but really that's about it these days.

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    WaPo opinion article titled "The world must support Turkey’s plan for northeastern Syria"

Guess who the author is
    Turkey's communication director

I hate our print media and their awful op-ed standards.

Just literally printing propaganda.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »

I'll let others provide the details, because I'm not well placed to comment.

I'll say this- military planning takes time. The fact that Erdogan had this shit ready to roll so quickly after Trump gave the greenlight should be a clue that he has been salivating over planning this for some time.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    WaPo opinion article titled "The world must support Turkey’s plan for northeastern Syria"

Guess who the author is
    Turkey's communication director

I hate our print media and their awful op-ed standards.

Just literally printing propaganda.

Goddamn I’m glad I cancelled that subscription.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The goddamn Kurds never showed up in Vietnam either, fuck ‘em

Jesus Christ he is sundowning hard

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

Turkey sure as fuck wasn’t there on the beaches of Normandy either.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Replace "at Normandy" with "paying me bribes." Then everything becomes clear.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

someone's got allies confused with Allies.
    (just kidding, that's giving him far too much credit).

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

someone's got allies confused with Allies.
    (just kidding, that's giving him far too much credit).

No wonder he hates the leadership of Germany so much

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    mcp wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Tough on them for what you fuck face

Existing?

Well, they didn't help out the US in World War II, apparently.

"Trump on the Kurds: "They didn't help us in the Second World War, they didn't help us with Normandy." He says they're only interested in fighting for "their land." He adds, "With all of that being said, we like the Kurds." "
    - Daniel Dale is a CNN reporter, and a cataloger of all Trump's lies.

In addition to that horrendous fucking statement, in the twitter thread four posts up, and three posts down, we have the following.
    Four up - "Trump is talking about the wife of the US diplomat who killed a UK teen in an auto accident and fled the UK, claiming immunity. He says it sometimes "happens" that Americans drive on the wrong side of the road there. "It was an ACCIDENT. It was a terrible accident," he says."
    Three down - "Trump says he goes to Dover Air Force base to greet slain soldiers "when I can." Telling a detailed story, he says that families smile when they see him and thank him for coming, and he thought they were taking the death "so well," but then the coffin comes and they "scream.""

The man is at best a fucking sociopath, and at worst, completely fucking bugnuts.

That Republicans still defend this shit, is and will remain, reprehensible. And hopefully will not be forgotten.

Wait, it gets better worse!

(Will Sommer writes about tech and internet and a newsletter about conservative media for The Daily Beast.)

• Options
    I generally like the Kurds. I generally dislike the Turks. But they’ve been killing each other for a long time and no one has yet offered a sufficient reason why America should stick its troops in the crossfire between them. We hear words like “betrayal” tossed around, often by people whose track record re: honor is (charitably) lacking, but that assumes America had a say in this latest round ramping up. If the Turks are intent on invading, a firm “No” from the Oval office is not going to stop a battalion of Leopard tanks. If you want to stop them, you have to be prepared to stop them. That means war, and the president – along with millions of us – say “No thanks.”
    ...to stop the fire using our influence?

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I generally like the Kurds. I generally dislike the Turks. But they’ve been killing each other for a long time and no one has yet offered a sufficient reason why America should stick its troops in the crossfire between them. We hear words like “betrayal” tossed around, often by people whose track record re: honor is (charitably) lacking, but that assumes America had a say in this latest round ramping up. If the Turks are intent on invading, a firm “No” from the Oval office is not going to stop a battalion of Leopard tanks. If you want to stop them, you have to be prepared to stop them. That means war, and the president – along with millions of us – say “No thanks.”
    ...to stop the fire using our influence?

Or if you want to have a more pragmatic approach to this:
    The US has had to (yws yes phrasing) go into this region 3 times in the past 3 decades, so wouldn't it make sense to have the support of a well trained egalitarian militia who's membership scares the bejezus out of ISIS troops ready to back you up on the off chance you need to sort stuff out?

Gaddez on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    pffft, what are the odds that will happen again?
    or that this will, in fact, be the direct cause of it?
    :rotate:

• Options
    pffft, what are the odds that will happen again?
    or that this will, in fact, be the direct cause of it?
    :rotate:

Or that blowback from Kurds sick of their grandfathers and fathers being betrayed by the Americans will happen.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    mcp wrote: »
    Tough on them for what you fuck face

Existing?

Well, they didn't help out the US in World War II, apparently.

"Trump on the Kurds: "They didn't help us in the Second World War, they didn't help us with Normandy." He says they're only interested in fighting for "their land." He adds, "With all of that being said, we like the Kurds." "
    - Daniel Dale is a CNN reporter, and a cataloger of all Trump's lies.

In addition to that horrendous fucking statement, in the twitter thread four posts up, and three posts down, we have the following.
    Four up - "Trump is talking about the wife of the US diplomat who killed a UK teen in an auto accident and fled the UK, claiming immunity. He says it sometimes "happens" that Americans drive on the wrong side of the road there. "It was an ACCIDENT. It was a terrible accident," he says."
    Three down - "Trump says he goes to Dover Air Force base to greet slain soldiers "when I can." Telling a detailed story, he says that families smile when they see him and thank him for coming, and he thought they were taking the death "so well," but then the coffin comes and they "scream.""

The man is at best a fucking sociopath, and at worst, completely fucking bugnuts.

That Republicans still defend this shit, is and will remain, reprehensible. And hopefully will not be forgotten.

Wait, it gets better worse!

(Will Sommer writes about tech and internet and a newsletter about conservative media for The Daily Beast.)

• Options
    Graham and Van Hollen have a sanctions bill on Turkey ready to go already. I'd anticipate that sails through Congress because this is an area where the GOP feels free to go against Trump.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    After invading, Turkey isn't going to get that donated resettlement money from anyone now, correct? Will Turkey later send the Syrian refugees back over the border anyways?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-syria-security-turkey/turkey-plans-27-billion-housing-project-in-northeast-syria-broadcaster-trt-idUSKBN1WC1V2

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Graham and Van Hollen have a sanctions bill on Turkey ready to go already. I'd anticipate that sails through Congress because this is an area where the GOP feels free to go against Trump.

But will it get through with a veto proof majority? I don't think so.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    It might. The Republicans obviously never trusted Trump with foreign policy, which is why they had Kelly and Mattis in there to keep a leash on him. Trump has shaken off the leash in the executive and now Congressional Republicans have to rebuke him explicitly.

Of course it begs the question of why the Congressional Republicans back a president they don't trust, the answer being that they're greedy cowards.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Fending off a cynicism attack, but that might play well to a lot of the people who are on the fringe of noticing that many Republicans have been complicit in all this bullshit.

Having a case to point out that they've legit stood up to him risks the usual Trumpertantrum and rallying of his base against them, but with the crazy numbers coming from the recent Fox polls, a lot of people are really tired of the bullshit.

Even if they kiss the ring later, they'll hold up That One Time I Totally Stood Up To The President (Sir) as a shield against all critique that they are, in fact, little toadies.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Also, A fair number of these people are going to use the desires of the generals as a smoke screen for telling trump to pound sand.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

But will it get through with a veto proof majority? I don't think so.

In the current environment I'm oddly comfortable with Trump's petulant tantrums annoying the Senate.

(Assuming McConnell permits the vote, of course.)

• Options
    Jephery wrote: »
    It might. The Republicans obviously never trusted Trump with foreign policy, which is why they had Kelly and Mattis in there to keep a leash on him. Trump has shaken off the leash in the executive and now Congressional Republicans have to rebuke him explicitly.

Of course it begs the question of why the Congressional Republicans back a president they don't trust, the answer being that they're greedy cowards.

Judges, tax cuts, and deregulation are worth it to them.

• Options
    edited October 2019

Judges, tax cuts, and deregulation are worth it to them.

Yes thats where the greedy part comes in.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Trump himself signaled he would "destroy turkey's economy", signing the sanctions bill would be an easy way to save face and displace the blame for his terrible decisions.

Unless of course he has other corrupt deals or foreign blackmail pushing him to actually support Turkey.

• Options
    Trump himself signaled he would "destroy turkey's economy", signing the sanctions bill would be an easy way to save face and displace the blame for his terrible decisions.

Unless of course he has other corrupt deals or foreign blackmail pushing him to actually support Turkey.

His first national security advisor was literally a Turkish agent.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    This crisis is probably going down in history next to the invasion of Kuwait as "shitty diplomacy fucked everything up worse than it already was" huh.

Jephery on
    }
  • Options
    This crisis is probably going down in history next to the invasion of Kuwait as "shitty diplomacy fucked everything up worse than it already was" huh.

I bet the Kurds wish they had as good astroturfing operations as Kuwait.

• Options

It's more like one of the various partitions of Poland than anything else.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well if we are abandoning people based on support at normandy, sorry nazis you're out.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well if we are abandoning people based on support at normandy, sorry nazis you're out.

Why? They were at Normandy. /technicality

This discussion has been closed.