The [Impeachment] of the 45th President of the United States

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    It's always noticeable, but right now going to cnn and fox news how we have two completely separate countries here.

I have to hope that some of the GOP, minor ones, not McConnell obviously, are reading the tea leaves and debating whether they might want to be on the right side of history.

They don't

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    218 and change in the house.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1176966374758977539

CNN commentator.
    Well that was quick. Let's get a few thousand cuts in first.

Absalon on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I know someone else was just as baffled about the "wealthy Ukrainian with the server" rambling Trump brought up in the memo. The Daily Beast offers an explanation. Warning: Loony Toons far right conspiracies are involved, as one might expect.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/crowdstrike-the-truth-about-trumps-insane-ukraine-server-conspiracy

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's a surprising amount of Republican/conservative confidence that this is a big nothingburger. I can't tell if it's because they're so deep in their echo chamber that the thought that this could be real hasn't even crossed their minds or what. It's unsettling to say the least.

It's always slightly unsettling to know there's this huge block of people that seem to be working on a completely separate facts from your reality.

They have consistently bought the trump bullshit. So they believe this complaint will exonerate trump because he told them it would.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

edit: Keith Boykin is a CNN commentator and former White House aide.

Oh look Anthony Brindisi (my congress critter) is on that list.

Time to give his office a call. Several dozen times a day.

Trace on
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User, Moderator mod
    Is that what it'd take to beat Trump? Give him lots of free bad publicity 24/7 until he explodes?
    That's so eye-rollingly stupid, yet so poetic.

I'll take what I can get at this point.
    Yeah, there's a surprising amount of Republican/conservative confidence that this is a big nothingburger. I can't tell if it's because they're so deep in their echo chamber that the thought that this could be real hasn't even crossed their minds or what. It's unsettling to say the least.

I'm assuming a large majority of Republican House members would take that position in one hundred percent of all circumstances because the president has the correct party affiliation, and will just say "see? We approved the release of this non-item!" no matter what it says. It could involve placing Chinese, Russian and Iranian intelligence agents in NORAD HQ and you'd probably still find a hundred and twenty of them willing to say it's NBD.

It'll be interesting to see if it actually changes any minds among the ones who actually look at the thing...

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Either that, or to use a phalla/mafia reference, "if you don't vote to eliminate the super-obvious bad guy, then you're usually another super-obvious bad guy". Voting against that would have been political suicide.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Those are some extremely conservative districts and Tulsi Gabbard.

EDIT: Cueller's district might be shifting left pretty fast, not sure.

enlightenedbum on
    The idea that your vote is a moral statement about you or who you vote for is some backwards ass libertarian nonsense. Your vote is about society. Vote to protect the vulnerable.
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Absalon wrote: »
    https://thehill.com/homenews/house/463066-house-calls-on-trump-officials-to-release-whistleblower-complaint

So the entire house voted unanimously (two 'present') to call on the WH to release the whistleblower complaint. Which is. Surprising?

Democrats believe it will be the smoking gun, Republicans sound like they're split between those who say they legitimately want it for a decision and the true believers who think the libs are totally about to step in it. I don't know where the numbers are on that split, but it sounds like right now every faction in the house legitimately wants to get their hands on it, just not for a unified reason.

Man, you’d have to be blind, senile, and willfully ignorant in order to think anything Trump has done in the past 24 hours to be anything other than panic and flailing.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Those are some extremely conservative districts and Tulsi Gabbard.

Yeah Brindisi is a Republican who calls himself a Democrat.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019

Man, you’d have to be blind, senile, and willfully ignorant in order to think anything Trump has done in the past 24 hours to be anything other than panic and flailing.

Ah, I see you've met the average MAGA voter.

Edit / I have literally seen multiple "this was bait to draw Biden out" takes.

Never underestimate the incredible levels of hate and stupidity in the maga crowd

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

ABC reporter.

I guess their meeting didn't go well.

The idea that your vote is a moral statement about you or who you vote for is some backwards ass libertarian nonsense. Your vote is about society. Vote to protect the vulnerable.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/house/463066-house-calls-on-trump-officials-to-release-whistleblower-complaint

So the entire house voted unanimously (two 'present') to call on the WH to release the whistleblower complaint. Which is. Surprising?

Democrats believe it will be the smoking gun, Republicans sound like they're split between those who say they legitimately want it for a decision and the true believers who think the libs are totally about to step in it. I don't know where the numbers are on that split, but it sounds like right now every faction in the house legitimately wants to get their hands on it, just not for a unified reason.

So republican?

Senator Ben Sasse says the GOP should be careful to dismiss this after he read the complaint, but he also said democrats shouldn't say impeach because he's still a republican toad.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular

Try the past three years. There's a reason people call him Teflon Don.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Trace wrote: »

Hot damn I have my first ever Dem rep and it's paying off. Schrier may not be a firebrand but she's been far better than I would have expected in our purple district.

Quid on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019

The Senate did that yesterday.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/9/24/20882420/mitch-mconnell-chuck-schumer-senate-resolution-whistleblower-report

Vox is an American news and opinion website.

jdarksun on
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Looking way way way ahead, if he makes it to a possible reelection campaign, I can't not imagine this low energy Trump being able to debate anyone.

That won't matter. His debate performance was godawful abysmal last time around. If the impeachment investigation is still ongoing by the time we hit debate season he's just going to get up there and rant about witch hunts and how he deserves 4 more years because the first 4 were stolen by no-good Democrats regardless of what questions are asked. He'll look like an insane, petulant child and his support among Republican voters will stay at 80% because at least he's not Elizabeth Warren (or whomever with a D after their name).

So how does an impeachment investigation work in conjunction with indictable charges against people who aren't the president? Like if Giuliani admits under oath that he violated campaign finance laws repeatedly does he get taken away in cuffs or do we just get to listen to people make excuses about why he's not being charged with multiple crimes?

Yeah, he'd be sent to prison just like the president's other personal attorney, Michael Cohen, who is currently doing 3 years for campaign finance violations he committed on Trump's behalf. The problem is Fox News wouldn't cover it, so the Republicans would never even know about it.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I briefly caught myself wondering who would be the first House Republican to vote for impeachment.

Then I laughed incredulously at myself.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan

ABC reporter.

I guess their meeting didn't go well.

Holy shit.

This is going fast.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Sharice Davids is a yes now

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    We've traveled so far so fast I don't even know where I live now.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular

Try the past three years. There's a reason people call him Teflon Don.

They also called Gotti that. Until he was transferred to Maximum Security. Ironically, thanks to Giuliani's incompetence.

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Haha oh gods. Reuters are reporting that Zelenskiy thought only the US side of the call was going to get made public.

Desktop Hippie on
    I briefly caught myself wondering who would be the first House Republican to vote for impeachment.

Justin Amash

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Justin Amash

Not a Republican anymore - he was excommunicated for insufficient pro-Trumpiness.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Haha oh gods. Reuters are reporting that Zelenskiy thought only the US side of the call was going to get made public.

I guess as a comedian he can at least the see the humor in it. Just someone else who fell victim to Poop midas's touch.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2019

List needs to be updated. MSNBC are reporting that Sharice Davids is now supporting impeachment.

Desktop Hippie on
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    NYT editor with a screenshot of a major CNN scoop.

But away from the comedy club...

WSJ reporter

This is interesting to me. I find it hard to believe that Chris Christie wouldn't have been in the loop on the talking points spread around to do damage control, and the full whistleblower stuff is apparently even worse than what we've seen already, so seems like something finally penetrated the swamp that this might genuinely be super bad... maybe.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Christie wasn't in the loop even when he was a part of the campaign. He was literally a trophy for Trump to parade.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

A bit embarrassing for him since it portrays him as a sniveling bootlicker. Wonder how his voters feel about that.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I don't find it hard to believe Christie is out of the loop.

Even when he was working with Trump, he was out of the loop.

Edit: Quid!!!!

Doctor Detroit on
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    This is interesting to me. I find it hard to believe that Chris Christie wouldn't have been in the loop on the talking points spread around to do damage control, and the full whistleblower stuff is apparently even worse than what we've seen already, so seems like something finally penetrated the swamp that this might genuinely be super bad... maybe.

My impression was that Christie had been cast aside long ago.

I bet Christie has been out of the loop with the Trump administration for a while now. To them, his only purpose was to be the fat guy that Trump shits on.

List needs to be updated AGAIN. Al Lawson just announced he's supporting impeachment too.

I could totally believe that Chris Christie wouldn't have been in the loop. Hell I bet if they ask him again he'll defend the "do me a favor" line as a not bad.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Christie wasn't in the loop even when he was a part of the campaign. He was literally a trophy for Trump to parade.

Yeah, but it’s like watching Reek or Igor try to help his master, but ends up doing more damage instead.

It’s a fucking tragic comedy is what it is.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    Quid wrote: »

Yeah, but it’s like watching Reek or Igor try to help his master, but ends up doing more damage instead.

It’s a fucking tragic comedy is what it is.

Not for the residents of Fort Lee. Just pure comedy there.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

List needs to be updated AGAIN. Al Lawson just announced he's supporting impeachment too.

Normally, I'd be all "What the fuck took you so long?".

Any recriminations against people who either couldn't see the fucking obvious, or could, and chose not to notice because it was politically expedient, can wait until after Trump is removed from office, especially if they continue to not be enthusiastic.

But for now, it's "Welcome aboard! Sincerely glad you joined up.".

Same will be said for any Republicans that decide they'd rather not have the Trump anchor around their neck, at any point up until the voting. I'll leave potentially questioning their integrity until after the immediate threat is dealt with.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

A bit embarrassing for him since it portrays him as a sniveling bootlicker. Wonder how his voters feel about that.

Pity him. He needs US support to keep the Russians from basically annexing a bunch of his country and turning Ukraine into a vassal state. And he has to go through Trump to get it.

When you aren't a super-power, you have to kiss ass to survive.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    It irritates the fuck out of me seeing my rep (Jared Golden) on that short list of dem hold-outs. :evil:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
This discussion has been closed.