Options

The [Impeachment] of the 45th President of the United States

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    For a little levity on these proceedings. Apparently Tom Cruise was in Ukraine as well:

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I believe in this contest when a judge expresses “puzzlement” it’s used more as a rhetorical device than him literally not getting what’s going on.

Maybe it's the judge saying "What the fuck?" when DoJ pretended like nothing is wrong, and the reporter is like, how do I publish this?

When a judge expresses 'puzzlement' in their courtroom, it means, 'you hear that cracking noise? That's the ice under your feet, so watch your next steps carefully.'

Yeah basically this. This was basically -

Judge: "you're not going to immediately agree to do the thing I'm 'suggesting' you do? Interesting..."
    Judge: *scribbles notes about a criminal fucking conspiracy*

It would have been a minor ray of joy if the response had been:

Judge: "That's a bold move, Cotton. Let's see how that works out."

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I'm listening to Pelosi and Schiff give a press conference on the impeachment right now, and boy, do they sound like actual statesmen, and not Republicans.

Although she just repeated the Ben Franklin story. Which I guarantee you is what the press will harp on.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Subpoenas are coming
    Three House committee chairmen have released a memo informing House Oversight committee members that they are drafting a subpoena compelling the White House to produce key documents as part of the House of Representatives’ impeachment inquiry.

Oversight Chair Elijah Cummings, Intelligence Chair Adam Schiff and Foreign Affairs Chair Eliot Engel wrote the memo. The subpoena will be issued on Friday under the Rules of the House of Representatives.

“The White House’s flagrant disregard of multiple voluntary requests for documents—combined with stark and urgent warnings from the Inspector General about the gravity of these allegations — have left us with no choice but to issue this subpoena,” the memo reads.

Cummings will issue the subpoena officially, but is working in tandem with the House Foreign Affairs and Intelligence committees.

Hold onto your butts

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    So Trump has been cold calling newly elected/seated foreign leaders to see if they are down for some corruption with him. Yeah I would want to hide those transcripts if I were his staff.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    This rant by Trump in his meeting with Finland's president is nuts. Just recently ended, but you can watch it here. Within the first 5 minutes he's saying that Schiff couldn't hold Pompeo's jockstrap. A rant for the ages!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UWQv0ELp7w

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    And here is another report that the State Department IG wants to inform about Pompeos attempts to retaliate against anyone who cooperated with Congress.

Carl Quintanilla of CNBC/NBC News: * U.S. State Department Inspector General plans to brief congressional committees on recent instances of potential political retaliation by agency leadership against career officials over Ukraine -- two sources familiar with matter

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    These guys are unraveling like a cheap sweater in a house full of cats.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    For a little levity on these proceedings. Apparently Tom Cruise was in Ukraine as well:

Ah, so the timeline writers have retreated into the hackiest of the hack retreats: joke casting star power.

They're not even to sweeps, no way they make another season, right?

Hevach on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    This rant by Trump in his meeting with Finland's president is nuts. Just recently ended, but you can watch it here. Within the first 5 minutes he's saying that Schiff couldn't hold Pompeo's jockstrap. A rant for the ages!

I just don't get how anyone can watch that and find the man endearing.
    It's a shame the reporters don't correct his lies, I think the longer you let him ramble the more he thinks he's winning.
    If you constantly pull him back down he'll likely pop.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

Ah, so the timeline writers have retreated into the hackiest of the hack retreats: joke casting star power.

They're not even to sweeps, no way they make another season, right?

Consider they brought in Moby of all people I’m going to say maybe.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    So Trump was cursing on twitter.

Gang, I think the stress might be getting to him.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Bigotry and crimes aside, Trump isn't mentally fit enough to be president

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I don't have a link to the WaPo article on me, but it was about the imminent IG meeting with congress. Pompeo was asked if there was anything improper about Trump's phone call with Ukraine, and Pompeo responded that everything Trump has done regarding Ukraine has been "remarkably consistent."

I nearly choked on my coffee.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    And here is another report that the State Department IG wants to inform about Pompeos attempts to retaliate against anyone who cooperated with Congress.

Carl Quintanilla of CNBC/NBC News: * U.S. State Department Inspector General plans to brief congressional committees on recent instances of potential political retaliation by agency leadership against career officials over Ukraine -- two sources familiar with matter

Sounds like the career govt employees have finally gotten sick of being treated so badly. So now we've got at least some of the rank and file of both the State Department and the Intelligence community working against the White House. Amazing.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »

I just don't get how anyone can watch that and find the man endearing.
    It's a shame the reporters don't correct his lies, I think the longer you let him ramble the more he thinks he's winning.
    If you constantly pull him back down he'll likely pop.

If they try correcting him in the White House, I assume all that will happen is people will start getting their press passes revoked.

Probably better to be there, and let the desk jockeys do the calling out, then to not be there at all.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I don't have a link to the WaPo article on me, but it was about the imminent IG meeting with congress. Pompeo was asked if there was anything improper about Trump's phone call with Ukraine, and Pompeo responded that everything Trump has done regarding Ukraine has been "remarkably consistent."

...well, he's not wrong.

edit: for a certain value of "consistent," admittedly.

Calica on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Sounds like the career govt employees have finally gotten sick of being treated so badly. So now we've got at least some of the rank and file of both the State Department and the Intelligence community working against the White House. Amazing.

They also likely feel that they will have actual protections if they come forward now, to an impeachment inquiry. Before it might have been a lot more iffy. Not that there won't be retaliation, but they'll have a much better case for wrongful termination.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »

I actually don't have a problem with politicians cursing at all. Hell, I'm a Beto supporter and he drops F-Bombs left and right.

The bigger problem here is the hypocrisy of his base, who will say nothing about Trump doing it, but would be up in arms if any Dem did the same thing. They'll say Trump was "driven" to this language, or some other equally dumb... well, bullshit.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

They also likely feel that they will have actual protections if they come forward now, to an impeachment inquiry. Before it might have been a lot more iffy. Not that there won't be retaliation, but they'll have a much better case for wrongful termination.

Part of me is wondering what took so long.

The other half of my brain keeps reminding me that these positions are full of people who work for whatever leadership is elected, and therefore are generally pretty non-political/non-partisan. For them to finally be fed up is a pretty big deal.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

I actually don't have a problem with politicians cursing at all. Hell, I'm a Beto supporter and he drops F-Bombs left and right.

The bigger problem here is the hypocrisy of his base, who will say nothing about Trump doing it, but would be up in arms if any Dem did the same thing. They'll say Trump was "driven" to this language, or some other equally dumb... well, bullshit.

Yeah I swear and I don't have an issue with swearing. What I take up arms with is the bullshit standard of people getting the vapors about a democrat saying "Impeach the motherfucker" but being ok with a bullshit pussy grabbing rapist.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I'm loving how some of what's coming to save the US, is the fact that we had implemented a shit ton of anti-spoil system measures. Probably safe to say if we didn't have that, these shit lords would have sacked most of career people. Given that they can't do that and that we have laws in place to protect them, a ton of Trump's shit goblin lietenants along with Trump, are going to get a very hard lesson on the fact that the US is not one of their shitty businesses and the very reasons why that is so.

No doubt, the asshole republicans will try to dismantle the anti-spoils system stuff and democrats should do everything they can to strengthen though. Possible even get some of that shit codified as a constitutional amendment because we'd probably be pretty fucked if Trump's people had free reign to just fire whoever they want and then replace them with whoever they want.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

That is a HILARIOUSLY oblique way of refusing to answer with yes or no.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

Another source said that Pompeo just straight up asked the State Department IG "How can we penalize people for 'Not following Instruction' if they cooperate with Congress?". So it may just be that the Secretary of State asking this really dumb question was enough to send him running to Congress waving red flags.

Viskod on
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

Wow thats a pretty damning qualifier to that response.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    I'm loving how some of what's coming to save the US, is the fact that we had implemented a shit ton of anti-spoil system measures. Probably safe to say if we didn't have that, these shit lords would have sacked most of career people. Given that they can't do that and that we have laws in place to protect them, a ton of Trump's shit goblin lietenants along with Trump, are going to get a very hard lesson on the fact that the US is not one of their shitty businesses and the very reasons why that is so.

No doubt, the asshole republicans will try to dismantle the anti-spoils system stuff and democrats should do everything they can to strengthen though. Possible even get some of that shit codified as a constitutional amendment because we'd probably be pretty fucked if Trump's people had free reign to just fire whoever they want and then replace them with whoever they want.

This is true. Being an actual government employee is far different from the at will employment Trump is used to and he probably has no idea how to handle it.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options

While also unironically saying that women are too emotional for the White House.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

...well, he's not wrong.

edit: for a certain value of "consistent," admittedly.

For any value of 'consistent', I would think. Trump's actions on matters relating to Ukraine have been consistently improper.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »

This is true. Being an actual government employee is far different from the at will employment Trump is used to and he probably has no idea how to handle it.

Public Unions are important.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

Because previously, any attempt they made would've gotten them crushed and no one would've really noticed anything. Now they have the protection of visibility if they come forward, as well as national attention that is interested in them being heard. They can say something and no that it will stick and not just be buried under the old mountain of bullshit.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    "Consistent," just means, "The same throughout."

Trump has never acted in a legal or ethical manner," therefore, he has been consistent in all things.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

The other half of my brain keeps reminding me that these positions are full of people who work for whatever leadership is elected, and therefore are generally pretty non-political/non-partisan. For them to finally be fed up is a pretty big deal.

I mean, bureaucrats are pretty damn political. Just not on the clock. Because they are also professional.

But yeah, are you willing to give up your job, and health insurance, and likely any prospect of working for the Federal Government ever again? Which, bear in mind, these mid-level employees have specialist skills that are... basically focused on federal government work. Especially at State, since Virginia doesn't have foreign policy, but at least it does have a DOT. They can't just walk into any firm on K street and get a corner office. Being a whistleblower will likely fuck up their life for a long time, at best. It's a lot to ask. Especially when all the crimes seemed to keep landing with a big wet thud and little more.

*Edit*
    Remember Ben Carson's dinner table and events that contracted his Son for $fraud? What happened to that whistleblower? Because Secretary Carson is still eating at that dinner table with his not-imprisoned son.

moniker on
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »

That is a HILARIOUSLY oblique way of refusing to answer with yes or no.

Negging your boss is a real cheeky power move

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah I swear and I don't have an issue with swearing. What I take up arms with is the bullshit standard of people getting the vapors about a democrat saying "Impeach the motherfucker" but being ok with a bullshit pussy grabbing rapist.

No one here does care but it's notable because Trump rarely curses like this. He uses vile language all the time ("bleeding badly from a facelift" comes to mind) but he doesn't typically curse or swear on Twitter.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular

I mean, bureaucrats are pretty damn political. Just not on the clock. Because they are also professional.

But yeah, are you willing to give up your job, and health insurance, and likely any prospect of working for the Federal Government ever again? Which, bear in mind, these mid-level employees have specialist skills that are... basically focused on federal government work. Especially at State, since Virginia doesn't have foreign policy, but at least it does have a DOT. They can't just walk into any firm on K street and get a corner office. Being a whistleblower will likely fuck up their life for a long time, at best. It's a lot to ask. Especially when all the crimes seemed to keep landing with a big wet this and little more.

On the contrary - status as a whistleblower protects a career employee's status and job security, to an even greater degree than the substantial security career employees have already.

Depending on the situation and how the employee takes advantage of it, this can be... abused. In a previous life I was acquainted with one such individual who had been tucked away in his own office as a GS-15 with virtually no day-to-day job responsibilities whatsoever. He worked well into his 80's and spent the majority of his time walking around the office with a cup of coffee and chatting people up.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

There's also a lot of "keep your head down" pressure in the civil service, especially under objectionable governments. People get it from higher up the chain, from coworkers, and from themselves (especially if they feel serious about the role). Then when things do start rolling along, you notice no one else is saying much of anything, or people are just leaving, and do you want to be the first one to stick your neck out...

It's the kind of thing that can be really hard to overcome, even at the lower levels of the civil service, much less at points when you're in earshot of cabinet-level officials. I'm annoyed that it's taken them so long to start getting that openly defiant about things, but I also get why it's taken them so long to.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    But every person who speaks up makes it that much easier fort he next one to do the same

That's why this first whistleblower was so important and why they were so desperate to cover up the report.

• Options
    Butters wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

No one here does care but it's notable because Trump rarely curses like this. He uses vile language all the time ("bleeding badly from a facelift" comes to mind) but he doesn't typically curse or swear on Twitter.

This is a good point. Trump uses awful language, but tweeting actual profanity is new for him. It's actually one of the few things he's shown restraint on.

This is a shift.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Another source said that Pompeo just straight up asked the State Department IG "How can we penalize people for 'Not following Instruction' if they cooperate with Congress?". So it may just be that the Secretary of State asking this really dumb question was enough to send him running to Congress waving red flags.

Given the inspector general is the specific person in charge of issues like that I can see that raising a red flag or two.

Its kind of like calling the EPA and asking “what’s a good place I could dump a bunch of mercury and benzene without having to pay disposal fees? Is a storm drain ok?”

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

But yeah, are you willing to give up your job, and health insurance, and likely any prospect of working for the Federal Government ever again? Which, bear in mind, these mid-level employees have specialist skills that are... basically focused on federal government work. Especially at State, since Virginia doesn't have foreign policy, but at least it does have a DOT. They can't just walk into any firm on K street and get a corner office. Being a whistleblower will likely fuck up their life for a long time, at best. It's a lot to ask. Especially when all the crimes seemed to keep landing with a big wet this and little more.

On the contrary - status as a whistleblower protects a career employee's status and job security, to an even greater degree than the substantial security career employees have already.

Depending on the situation and how the employee takes advantage of it, this can be... abused. In a previous life I was acquainted with one such individual who had been tucked away in his own office as a GS-15 with virtually no day-to-day job responsibilities whatsoever. He worked well into his 80's and spent the majority of his time walking around the office with a cup of coffee and chatting people up.

In a sane world, sure.

This discussion has been closed.