As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PlayStation4 / PSN] PS3+Vita games are back on the menu, boys!

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    urahonky wrote: »
    Last of Us 2 will undoubtedly sell well but it’ll probably suffer a bit for being the wrong game at the wrong time.

There are certain things I won’t watch or play because they’re just too dour. I don’t think I’ll ever want to watch Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead because I know how brutal they are to the characters.

Of course I say that at a time when I’m playing a ton of Mortal Kombat 11.

MK11 is fake, over the top violence.

Important to note that the violence in the TLoU is fake also.
    I'm actually not sure I get the distinction being made tbh. While TLoU isn't likely going to feature a skeleton that breathes fire the fact remains that they both feature stories with fully realized characters having awful things done to them rendered in disturbingly accurate ways.

Woah wait. The violence in TLoU is fake!? Oh man I thought it was real! :P

There's 100% difference between how it's portrayed in MK11 and TLoU2. You don't hear anyone claiming that "MK11 is exhausting, depressing, dark, etc".

Except the employees who are watching snuff as required research.
    https://youtu.be/ffNaGxlFDQQ

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've seen that Jim video and it's very upsetting.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I’m honestly more excited about Ghost of Tsushima than TLOU2

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Holy shit there's no way I could watch snuff films for any job. And I'm a HUGE fan of slasher/80s horror films.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Holy shit there's no way I could watch snuff films for any job. And I'm a HUGE fan of slasher/80s horror films.

100%. You might think you're inured to it, but knowing its the real thing is so so different. Years ago, hell decades now, I was shown the Budd Dwyer footage without being told what it was going to be (hey you like horror movies right? watch this) and it fucking haunts me to this day. To do that for a full shift of work, day after day until you got it 'right'? good god

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I've seen some reaaaaal dark stuff which I won't mention but that includes that Budd Dwyer footage - as jaded as I am at this point I wouldn't say it "haunts" me per se but that shit definitely doesn't leave you once you see it, and I can recollect any given instance of it much more clearly than I can with fake video game horror stuff (which is probably why I'm frequently critical that horror video games often aren't horror enough, but I digress).

That being said even if you have a solid constitution it's still going to be there forever, and in a just world employers would be sued off their ass for making their employees view that stuff but welcome to to the video game industry I guess.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Mortal Kombat is so over the top and ridiculous that it is impossible to take remotely seriously. Last of Us however tries to feel very physical and visceral in comparison. Playing through Remaster I had forgot how brutal the first game was. This is without the enemies calling for their fallen comrads or being upset you murdered their dog.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    I would - just the once - like to enjoy a piece of zombie-related media where man is not the real monster. Where the zombies are the real monsters.

To each his own, but I’d much rather play Dead Rising than Left 4 Dead.

Zombies are too boring and run into the ground these days to serve as antagonists. Even when they’re used simply to give the player something to do while backtracking through a level, any fun to be had is mainly derived from the improvised weapons used to dispatch them. What they are good at is embodying a form of the apocalypse that we can easily believe would drive so many once normal people to madness and cruelty.

Attempts to evolve zombies into something they’re not, like undead Swiss Army knives that can mutate into specialized forms, Olympic sprinters, intelligent enemies who speak and formulate plans, or even into romantic leads, are suitably groan-inducing.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    The Last of Us already loses me with zombie-like monsters in it, but it keeps me away with the brutality in the violence. It's just totally disinteresting to me. MK11 is also extensively brutal, and I'm not interested in it, but I've seen some of the fatalities and some of them are honestly cartoon levels of violence that while I cringed, it was partly in the "oh god" way, but also in the "that's so stupid" way.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I would - just the once - like to enjoy a piece of zombie-related media where man is not the real monster. Where the zombies are the real monsters.

To each his own, but I’d much rather play Dead Rising than Left 4 Dead.

Gonna have to disagree on that, but not for that reason. Multiplayer in L4D2 is super fun to play as the zombies and organize increasingly outlandish ways to screw over the human players.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Just found out that Neil Druckmann put a self-insert into TLoU2
    ~Added Disclaimer: This is a TLoU2 Spoiler for the 2nd half of the game, though it avoids directly naming anyone. Click only if you're okay with that.~
    as the 2nd protagonist's romantic interest, even. Who spits on the dead body of (a beloved character).

This guy really think's he's the next David Cage.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Is it maybe possible to not put huge spoilers for games that aren't even out yet in threads that aren't about the games? @vagrant_winds that's a big bombshell to drop in a contextless spoiler and it's the second time you've done it in this thread.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Yeah, let us not let our personal feelings towards the game devalue the experience for others who are looking forward to it. That would have been something I would have liked to have discovered on my own.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Not to take away from anything but if I'm actively avoiding spoilers for the game then I absolutely would have not clicked on something that was very clearly a spoiler for the game. You say contextless but vagrant_winds did say TLoU2.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Not to take away from anything but if I'm actively avoiding spoilers for the game then I absolutely would have not clicked on something that was very clearly a spoiler for the game. You say contextless but vagrant_winds did say TLoU2.

About Neil Druckman's cameo. They then went on to add information that spoils something huge in the game.

That's some major gaslighting you're doing in your post there.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options

About Neil Druckman's cameo. They then went on to add information that spoils something huge in the game.

That's some major gaslighting you're doing in your post there.

Is it? I'd be pissed as hell if I read that too. But it's labeled as a TLoU2 spoiler so I would have just avoided it. If you think I'm gaslighting you then you're certainly projecting or reading it incorrectly lol.

• Options
    Of course, the "lol" you're adding to your comment and then blaming me for misinterpreting your post is clearly demonstrating your sympathy.

If I say "Leonardo DiCaprio is in this movie" and then add in my spoiler, say, his fate in The Departed absent any warning that is indeed a contextless spoiler.

The game literally is not out until Friday. There's no need for people to be spoiling huge plot points for it in the general PS4 thread.

• Options
    Alright dude I don't know what to say? I added "lol" at the end to show that I'm still friendly about the whole thing and I agree it's bullshit that it was spoiled. But now you're just being a dick about it so whatever I don't care. I'm sorry it was spoiled for you and I would have been pissed too so... Sorry? I didn't post the spoiler. So you're directing your anger at the completely wrong person my dude.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I put it in spoiler tags and didn't give any specifics for a reason, to try and not anger anyone or give too much away. I thought that was enough.

Sorry, I should have put a stronger disclaimer.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Alright dude I don't know what to say? I added "lol" at the end to show that I'm still friendly about the whole thing and I agree it's bullshit that it was spoiled. But now you're just being a dick about it so whatever I don't care. I'm sorry it was spoiled for you and I would have been pissed too so... Sorry? I didn't post the spoiler. So you're directing your anger at the completely wrong person my dude.

Um, your post is literally two posts up from here. You engaged with my post telling me I was wrong for clicking on the spoiler. That is not being "friendly" - it's weirdly casting blame on someone when all they're asking for is a little respect by not posting spoilers for a highly anticipated game before it is commercially released.

But thanks for calling me a dick though I guess?

• Options

Um, your post is literally two posts up from here. You engaged with my post telling me I was wrong for clicking on the spoiler. That is not being "friendly" - it's weirdly casting blame on someone when all they're asking for is a little respect by not posting spoilers for a highly anticipated game before it is commercially released.

But thanks for calling me a dick though I guess?

Didn't call you one just saying you're acting like one. I know you're not a dick.

• Options
    Why do people that want to avoid spoilers click spoiler tags?

Again, sorry my scrubbed and censored spoiler comment got people upset but I only thought people that wanted spoilers would click spoiler tags. That's why there's spoiler tags?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Everyone chill the fuck out

• Options
    edited June 2020
    For the record I appreciate you for putting in the added context @vagrant_winds . While I wish we weren't spoiling things at all, the original post read like you were going to say Druckman is in it as a Clicker or something but amounted to something much more. Thanks for adding the extra context.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Why do people that want to avoid spoilers click spoiler tags?

Again, sorry my scrubbed and censored spoiler comment got people upset but I only thought people that wanted spoilers would click spoiler tags. That's why there's spoiler tags?

The problem has more to due with the range of content folks tend to put behind spoilers, especially spoilers that haven't been marked with any sort of qualifier.

In general, if someone (as in your post) seems to just want to shoot the shit about tangential nonsense, the spoiler will probably just contain some sort of jokey hot take, not actual spoilers.

• Options
    :bigfrown:

• Options
    Yeah unfortunately the spoiler tag is often used for spoilers and off-topic discussions in most every other place in PA. It's also a good way to prevent cluttering up a thread with nonsense. I wish there was two different tags just to separate out the logic but I imagine the amount of work to get that in there isn't worth it since we can just start labeling the spoilers instead.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I've still never played TLoU. It's on sale on PSN until midnight on PS4. What would I be letting myself in for?

Jazz on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I've still never played TLoU. It's on sale on PSN until midnight on PS4. What would I be letting myself in for?

a lot of emotions if you've managed to avoid any of the story so far

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

It's a very, very story-driven game. Do you like stealthy adventure games with very good voice acting from the two main protagonists?

The game hit me hard emotionally and it's not a happy-go-lucky game by any stretch of the imagination. If you're like me and have a young daughter it's hard to not feel the emotions.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020

A very well executed intro that lays some real payoff down the line. It's a helluva thing though.

Gameplay wise it's a sneak around and bop guys before they see you and it devolves into a pretty good scramble shooter (scramble in the Tomb Raider reboot sense of constantly thinking oh shit until the fight is over). Then you can rifle all the cabinets in the area for nails and tape. It is pretty brutal in parts, both gameplay and story beats so bear that in mind.

I really like the first one, I got it for christmas a couple of years ago and the remaster is an incredible job, like it's clearly fairly old but still looks fantastic. It's not overly long, ends very well and the Left Behind dlc is probably the best part of the whole thing, which is nice as dlc is sometimes an afterthought.

For less than a tenner though? Absolutely worth it.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    For the combat: Mostly stealth gameplay with an emphasis on resource management. You'll scour locations for materials, then use those materials to make weapons, ammo, traps, medkits. Then using those items judiciously to booby trap before starting an encounter and during an encounter. Stopping behind a pillar during combat to open your pack and quickly craft a Molotov cocktail is a good example of the unique gameplay at the time the game released. Guns are powerful but bullets are scarce. Aiming is tough, so make your shots count. Melee is a staple, but those weapons also break. There are one-time-use desperation weapons too.

But outside of combat, you wind your way through mostly linear spaces doing light puzzle solving to open doors or traverse difficult terrain.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Replaying it recently, I was amused by how being well-versed in the mechanics and (now) much more competent with my aim allowed me to play it in a much more action-oriented aggressive manner. Conceptually, I would not describe that as an intended style of play, but it's there.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

If you've been following the TLoU2 stuff, keep in mind that game seems to be even more grim and brutal than the first. Though the first game is still plenty grim and brutal, mind.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020

It's a very, very story-driven game. Do you like stealthy adventure games with very good voice acting from the two main protagonists?

The game hit me hard emotionally and it's not a happy-go-lucky game by any stretch of the imagination. If you're like me and have a young daughter it's hard to not feel the emotions.

If I have a 1 y/o, should I consider passing on it?
    Also, is there a "does the kid die .com" for games? Cause I need one.

[edit] silly me, https://www.doesthedogdie.com/does-a-kid-die includes games. It's not perfect but will do.

Commodore75 on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Replaying it recently, I was amused by how being well-versed in the mechanics and (now) much more competent with my aim allowed me to play it in a much more action-oriented aggressive manner. Conceptually, I would not describe that as an intended style of play, but it's there.

I played through a NG+ file in February or so and was astonished at the difference having a raft of skill points and gun upgrades makes towards just rolling over stuff

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

[edit] silly me, https://www.doesthedogdie.com/does-a-kid-die includes games. It's not perfect but will do.

Kind of a semi spoiler for TLoU
    So the epilogue prologue will kick you on your ass and you'll probably be really upset but it's well written and good development for the main character. I probably wouldn't avoid it, but I don't know you.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Cool, you guys have sold me.

Left Behind DLC is a prequel story, then - better to play that after the main game, or first? These things can vary.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Spoiler for the first game below it's very early on. Note that my oldest daughter was around 1 at the time the game was released.
    The epilogue prologue has a child die (I think she's 10ish years old, can't really remember) and it's incredibly hard hitting. Even to this day I can't play the epilogue prologue without getting emotional (both because the VAs are amazing and if I was in that situation I don't know what I'd do)

urahonky on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Prologue.