As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PlayStation4 / PSN] PS3+Vita games are back on the menu, boys!

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I was done with Farcry after 4, then I played 5 and the story was so aggressively awful in every possible way that it made me actually done with Farcry. Fuck Farcry 5 so hard.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    cckerberos wrote: »
    I'm always surprised that it's the malaria that everyone always brings up.

For me, the instantly respawning guard posts were FC2's greatest sin.

Go through checkpoint, kill them all, drive 50m in a direction: "Oops, wrong way, have to go back" aaaand they've all respawned.

I also hated that everyone was out to bloody murder you. The instant anyone saw you, it was all alarms blaring for you to be murdered, at all costs. It was even more jarring when you're riding an armored truck with a machine gun, and some guy on a beat down compact car would do a complete 180º to chase you down. It was tiring.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I was done with Farcry after 4, then I played 5 and the story was so aggressively awful in every possible way that it made me actually done with Farcry. Fuck Farcry 5 so hard.

I never finished Farcry 4. I got to the second mission where you have to kill the rooms of people on a timer, gaining time for each kill, etc.

Could never get past it. Tried over a dozen times.

And as it was a set story mission, I couldn’t progress in the game.

I never bought the next game in case it had a similar bit.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

I never finished Farcry 4. I got to the second mission where you have to kill the rooms of people on a timer, gaining time for each kill, etc.

Could never get past it. Tried over a dozen times.

And as it was a set story mission, I couldn’t progress in the game.

I never bought the next game in case it had a similar bit.

Never played Far Cry 4. I played 5 basically twice since I finished solo and then went through it co-op with a buddy who was having trouble with the game as a solo experience. It DOES have a mission very like that but it's quite near the end of the game instead of being an up-front roadblock.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I went retro and played some Alundra 1 and 2.

Alundra 2 has awkward saves. It does this annoying thing at the beginning where you have a boss fight, a cutscene, then another fight.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I'm always surprised that it's the malaria that everyone always brings up.

For me, the instantly respawning guard posts were FC2's greatest sin.

Go through checkpoint, kill them all, drive 50m in a direction: "Oops, wrong way, have to go back" aaaand they've all respawned.

I also hated that everyone was out to bloody murder you. The instant anyone saw you, it was all alarms blaring for you to be murdered, at all costs. It was even more jarring when you're riding an armored truck with a machine gun, and some guy on a beat down compact car would do a complete 180º to chase you down. It was tiring.

The lack of neutral NPCs was a glaring fault, but made up for in my book by the way “buddies” worked, and the behavior of enemy AI. Checkpoints respawning as soon as you broke line of sight sucked, but I often moved through the boonies to bypass these and patrolling jeeps entirely. Which showed off the work they put into the landscape a lot more, and meant I only occasionally had to engage in combat before I got to the objective.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Other retro games I played recently:
    Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen
    Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped

I know this is a PS4 thread. There isn't a general Playstation thread.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I didn't know Alundra had a sequel.

And I recently tried to play Blood Omen for the first time since I was 14 or so. I gave up within an hour.

• Options
    Alundra 2 is impressive because it uses the 3D engine for cutscenes. It is one of the early games that did that.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I wish Sony would make/fund/publish RPGs again.

They had Alundra, Wild Arms, White Knight Chronicles, and various one-offs through the years to include The Legend of Dragoon, Folklore, Brave Story: New Traveler, etc., and at least a few that never made it westward.

The last one they did, I believe, was Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines on the Vita back in 2014.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Yeah. I think I have White Knight Chronicles in storage somewhere.

Dark Cloud 2 always looked good, but I never really dug into it.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I’m not sure I’ve played all Sony-produced Jurps over the years, but I reckon they got gunshy due to how often the results were absurdly derivative and just downright poor.

I reinstalled Rogue Galaxy the other day, and it’s just a repellent knockoff of an already shit series (Star Ocean). Wild Arms was probably the most consistent product, but I presume the series sold less and less as the devs got more experimental (in often good ways); not sure whether Sony was still funding things by 5 though.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Yeah. I think I have White Knight Chronicles in storage somewhere.

Dark Cloud 2 always looked good, but I never really dug into it.

WKC was weirdly only like half a game. The sequel includes the entire first game inside of it with it's much improved battle system.

There was also a PSP spinoff that did come out in English, but only officially in PAL and never in NA.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I hated WKC so much.

I'm not sure what I hated about it. Nothing about it really jived with me and I think it was one of the first games I ever sold on eBay a day after buying it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Now, I dug out the Megaman Legends games and Tron Bonne.
    I have collected too much. Still, it is pretty small compared to Metal Jesus or The Immortal John Handcock.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I wish Sony would make/fund/publish RPGs again.

They had Alundra, Wild Arms, White Knight Chronicles, and various one-offs through the years to include The Legend of Dragoon, Folklore, Brave Story: New Traveler, etc., and at least a few that never made it westward.

The last one they did, I believe, was Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines on the Vita back in 2014.

Oreshika is a weird damn game. Fun, but way too different to ever be hugely successful outside of Japan I think. I really liked Legend of Dragoon and have been hoping for a sequel ever since I played it way back in the day.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I really liked Oreshika, but it desperately needed to explain a bunch of core things better, and not obfuscate so damn much just for the sake of obfuscation. Certain mechanics were also straight up broken, and it forced you to massively handicap yourself for every plot battle, which was just obnoxious.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    I really liked Oreshika, but it desperately needed to explain a bunch of core things better, and not obfuscate so damn much just for the sake of obfuscation. Certain mechanics were also straight up broken, and it forced you to massively handicap yourself for every plot battle, which was just obnoxious.

Yeah, I get that obscuring some of the mechanics can make for interesting aha moments but holy crap. And then add in randomly generated dungeons on top of that? Yeesh. I actually got most of the way through the game using a guide to try and get the platinum but the grind was too much.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Oreshika's kind of weird just because how often do 15-year old niche RPGs get sequels in the first place?

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Oreshika's kind of weird just because how often do 15-year old niche RPGs get sequels in the first place?

I didn't even know it was a sequel.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    furlion wrote: »

Yeah, I get that obscuring some of the mechanics can make for interesting aha moments but holy crap. And then add in randomly generated dungeons on top of that? Yeesh. I actually got most of the way through the game using a guide to try and get the platinum but the grind was too much.

One of the Aha moments I had was that dungeons AREN'T randomly generated. They're random when they're created, but are then static. It's damn near impossible to notice that naturally though because there's almost never any reason to go into one all that many times, and you'll be polluting your brainspace with all the other randomly generated ones. So you can/should be using the hardset ones in your home area as your 'guaranteed rewards' zones that you can quickly rush to the boss spawns for the rewards whenever bosses spawn because you know how they're set up and how much you can actually access with the keys you have. Except that some of the dungeons also change by season, so that could also mess up your memory if you've got those in your home area.

Like a ton of PSX games, it had a PSP remake that brought it back to notability at least a little, so it's not THAT crazy.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Oh yeah I guess I should have clarified that. I actually used a little map making app on my phone to gradually map out my home dungeons. But the fact they are randomly generated the first time is a pain in the ass. Then I switched phones and lost the maps and never really picked the game back up.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular

One of the Aha moments I had was that dungeons AREN'T randomly generated. They're random when they're created, but are then static. It's damn near impossible to notice that naturally though because there's almost never any reason to go into one all that many times, and you'll be polluting your brainspace with all the other randomly generated ones. So you can/should be using the hardset ones in your home area as your 'guaranteed rewards' zones that you can quickly rush to the boss spawns for the rewards whenever bosses spawn because you know how they're set up and how much you can actually access with the keys you have. Except that some of the dungeons also change by season, so that could also mess up your memory if you've got those in your home area.

Like a ton of PSX games, it had a PSP remake that brought it back to notability at least a little, so it's not THAT crazy.

That's true. It's still a little weird in that the same developer (Alfa System) also produced another RPG for Sony the year after Oreshika that was far, far more popular (Gunparade March) but they didn't choose to remake that game for the PSP.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I hated WKC so much.

I'm not sure what I hated about it. Nothing about it really jived with me and I think it was one of the first games I ever sold on eBay a day after buying it.

I never finished the second game, although I enjoyed the first(I think I had lost my save data when my first PS3 died and got bogged down replaying it when the second game came out).

But, it was strange in that your created character was not the main character, and it felt more like you were a spectator in the game while all the important stuff was happening to someone else. Much like in Xenoblade Chronicles X, but in that the game is so big and there's so much to do it becomes more forgivable when you do go and take a break to do a story mission. In WKC you were basically a non-entity. Someone else gets the White Knight(although, from the trailers I think in the sequel everyone else got Knights, but I never got that far), so you're just along for the ride.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    I hated WKC so much.

I never finished the second game, although I enjoyed the first(I think I had lost my save data when my first PS3 died and got bogged down replaying it when the second game came out).

But, it was strange in that your created character was not the main character, and it felt more like you were a spectator in the game while all the important stuff was happening to someone else. Much like in Xenoblade Chronicles X, but in that the game is so big and there's so much to do it becomes more forgivable when you do go and take a break to do a story mission. In WKC you were basically a non-entity. Someone else gets the White Knight(although, from the trailers I think in the sequel everyone else got Knights, but I never got that far), so you're just along for the ride.

The entire point of the created character was for the multiplayer, which was half the game. It was weird like that.

• Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

I managed to get into the final closed beta test for Genshin Impact, so I'm going to be streaming it today and throughout the weekend.

[Edit]

Sorry, I can't seem to get the link to work right for some reason. :(

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    "Whoops! This embed is misconfigured."

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    To this day, I still want the Geoforma or whatever mode that was in WKC as a full fledged game in its own right.

Town building with NPCs the player chooses which dictates what shops and resources random players can visit when they come to your hub?

Now expand the multiplayer game to be more like a MonHun and honestly, you got a game right there.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Browsing games from low-high, I saw 8-Bit Invaders on sale for less than 50 cents, and scooped it up. It’ll be interesting to see how they make an RTS work on PS4. My only other console RTS experience being Halo Wars back in the day. I also picked up Kamiko, on the strength of the trailer and a review I looked up on YouTube. It looks a lot like an NES Zelda title, but with more fluid combat.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    I really hate the fact that game trailers on the store almost never include actual gameplay. It is so bad that I often have to look at the description of the game just to figure out what kind of game it even is! It really make me irrationally angry.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    After gaming for a few decades, I generally ask three questions:
    1. What genre is it? (FPS, RTS, BR, etc.)
    2. What makes this game different from other games in the genre; i.e.what is the stand out feature? (hint: "story" is not a feature)
    3. Is the game fun to LOSE? (Because if losing isn't fun then it isn't a fun game.)
    All your flashy graphics and ray-traced audio is fine but I'm playing these things as entertainment and those are the things that make me want to play.

26904.png
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Which Wild Arms is better, original or remake?

Wow. There were 5 Wild Arms games.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I really hate the fact that game trailers on the store almost never include actual gameplay. It is so bad that I often have to look at the description of the game just to figure out what kind of game it even is! It really make me irrationally angry.

Yeah, even though I can look it up on YouTube (Cornshaq often has a review if it’s an indie game), it’s not a sign of confidence when they don’t want to show off the gameplay on the PSN store page. It immediately starts me thinking, “oh, look, another art game or walking simulator.”

• Options

Yeah, even though I can look it up on YouTube (Cornshaq often has a review if it’s an indie game), it’s not a sign of confidence when they don’t want to show off the gameplay on the PSN store page. It immediately starts me thinking, “oh, look, another art game or walking simulator.”

That or they think the game is so boring to watch no one would ever buy it. Which is fine! Some games are much more exciting to play then watch. Look at the success of the civilization franchise, XCOM, or pretty much any non action oriented game. But if I can't tell what the basic game play is like from the trailer that is a shit trailer.

• Options

Wow. There were 5 Wild Arms games.

7 technically. The Remake you mentioned and XF, the very good strategy rpg spinoff.

I'd call the remake (Alter Code F) of 1 better.

3's probably my favorite in the entire series and has one of my favorite protagonists of all time: Virginia Maxwell.

• Options
    Can vouch for XF and 3 which were indeed both pretty good. Not a franchise I expected to get remade but maybe it is bigger in Japan then over here.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I'm running into this weird bug where Watch Dogs 2 DLC keeps showing up in the Add-ons list when I look for content for other games (such as Assassin's Creed Syndicate). Deleting it from my Downloads list doesn't stop it from showing up in the list of Add-ons, and I don't have Watch Dogs 2 on my PS4 anymore...

Has anyone else run into this or something similar?

• Options

I personally feel the original was better than the remake. I found that a lot of the humour that was present in the original was removed in the remake, and many of the changes they made were unnecessary.

• Options
    I'm running into this weird bug where Watch Dogs 2 DLC keeps showing up in the Add-ons list when I look for content for other games (such as Assassin's Creed Syndicate). Deleting it from my Downloads list doesn't stop it from showing up in the list of Add-ons, and I don't have Watch Dogs 2 on my PS4 anymore...

I've had similar things happen with DLC in other games. With the Telltale Batman game, it shows the DLC of both Batman games as being present in the first game(and the second game just has the proper DLC). Also with one of the LEGO Marvel games, all the DLC from one of the other ones shows up. I always just chalked it up to them being similarly named games.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

I've had similar things happen with DLC in other games. With the Telltale Batman game, it shows the DLC of both Batman games as being present in the first game(and the second game just has the proper DLC). Also with one of the LEGO Marvel games, all the DLC from one of the other ones shows up. I always just chalked it up to them being similarly named games.

Does the problem go away or is it just a forever thing?