Options

It's a good [job] thread, Elmo

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    What happened?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    What happened?

He's in the path of a typhoon, apparently.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, thanks for the concern! I seriously lucked out - my girlfriend and I hung out all day, cooked meals, watched the storm outside. I didn’t lose power or anything but a couple of my friends nearby had to evacuate.
    All in all, doing fine though! This morning we could barely tell there was a storm.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood on a Saturday night justifies the need of a police force.

I'm not saying this invalidates any criticism of the police, I'm just sayin a trip down the wrong street and you suddenly really want the police

Edit

To drunk Asian millennial in the Brown jacket who pantomimed running into traffic and then stumbled, you are an example of something , I don't know what but I hope you live long enough for me to figure it out

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Today is the start of my work week, and I slept poorly all night because I kept dreaming that I was getting chased and mauled by dinosaurs while another person kept running along behind me, mocking me for being unable to not get mauled by dinosaurs like some kind of loser.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Today is the start of my work week, and I slept poorly all night because I kept dreaming that I was getting chased and mauled by dinosaurs while another person kept running along behind me, mocking me for being unable to not get mauled by dinosaurs like some kind of loser.

Rest assured, when I passed by your store tonight there were no dinosaurs.

Geese however, are circling the area

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

I'd rather deal with dinosaurs.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Hi

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    So, this new fucking “metal heath app” work is pushing gives you a score. That’s right, it gameifys mental health, something that seems massively counterintuitive to me.

It calls you score an “index”. Meaning there’s literally a page called “Unmind Index”

I can’t not do it now, “The Unmind Index” is such a perfect name for a sci-fi villain race, that I feel compelled to use it.
    If you had said the Unmind Index was a weapon in Destiny built to fight the Vex I'd have believed you. It sounds like a Bungie name.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

I'd rather deal with dinosaurs.

Press and hold Y to Maul

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I passed my NPTE exam for Physical Therapist Assistant, and have one clinical rotation left before I graduate.

It's been a hard switch at times, I was super discouraged after graduating with a friggin Masters in Teaching... right in 2010 when the bottom fell out of the market in WA state. I did substitute work for almost 2 years, scrapping pennies.

Now I'm going to be in a medical field which I still get to teach and stay fit, plus actually get a decent work schedule, pay, and don't have to deal with the BS that is public school admin vs teachers.

Yeah, I'm going to be making more starting with an AA in medicine than a MA in teaching, I would I could go back and beat some sense into my younger self, but what can you do? Education is so screwed up in this country. The kids were great, everything else was a disaster.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Just saw a babushka call her grandson tovarisch at my job and the Soviet national anthem began playing in my head

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Flu jab get!

And who the hell has their kids birthday party at 1730-1900 on a fucking Sunday night? I do not want to run this party, but everybody else declared themselves unavailable before I even saw the message.

The kid is turning 4.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Now I'm heading home early because of yet another ocular migraine

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Bikes and northern Norway is not the best combination when things freeze. At least i only fell off twice. Will look into getting winter tires tomorrow.

Also got to put a tube into someone's bladder, without going through the urinary tract, for the first time yesterday, which was a high point of the week. One of the high points of working 3 hours from the closest hospital is that nurses get to do a lot of the things that would involve a doctor in a city.

I'll probably get to do blood tests at some point too, which is always done by lab techs back in Oslo.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile, at Harvard: https://mickens.seas.harvard.edu/tenure-announcement
    BREAKING NEWS: I’ve received tenure at Harvard! I want to thank all of the enemies that I had to destroy to achieve this great honor. Roger Davis at Princeton’s department of nutrition—you questioned my research on the efficacy of an all-Pop-Tart diet, but I am living proof that the diet works. Yes, I have nose bleeds every day and my pancreas has the dysfunction of a failing Soviet client state, but I believe that having constant double vision makes me twice as optimistic about life. Lawrence Adler at Yale—you claimed that Yale, not Harvard, has the best paintings of dead white men doing questionable things in recent antiquity. Your foolishness was revealed when I personally oversaw the restoration of Harvard’s painting “Archibald Montgomery, Law School Dean, Gazes Upon His Eighth-favorite Mistress Whose Name He No Longer Remembers As He Wears A Pith Helmet And Asks A Colored Man Why He Isn’t Ten Feet Tall And Swaying To Savage Jungle Rhythms.” You are my eighth-favorite enemy, Lawrence of Yale; DON’T EVER CHALLENGE A HARVARD MAN. My seventh-favorite enemy is obviously Alan Fontaine of Iowa State University. I know that you’re reading this, Alan, because you keep inviting me to NSF panels even though I mailed you a glitter bomb that was shaped like me mailing you a glitter bomb. Your theories on Muppet physiology are childish and naïve, and I viciously refute them in my upcoming article “Parasitic Infections of Muppet Gastrointestinal Hand Holes." I wish you the best when you lose your endowed professorship and are forced to teach at a lower-tier institution that can’t even afford real Muppets and has to use oven mitts with faces drawn on them. And Bruce Jøhansen of the Oslo School of Economics—my sweet, sweet prince! I still remember your scathing book review of my grand opus “Not Even Once: A History of Birds Using Money To Pay For Things.” You claimed that my findings were “obvious” and “belabored,” and that Chapter 17 (“Red-tailed Finches and the Stock Market Crash of 1819”) was “so insane that I briefly convinced myself that birds have deep opinions about macroeconomic theory but have failed to act on them for millions of years.” Such little thanks I receive for midwifing your brief moment of lucidity! When I learned that I would be Reviewer #3 for your journal article, I covered my naked body in war paint and waited for Saturn to ascend so that the ancient ones could gaze upon my wickedness. I printed your manuscript on paper deemed unfit for office use, replacing my printer’s standard ink with a foul, vengeful tar that I made from discarded Waffle House cooking oil and a shredded copy of your sixth-grade report card. Triumphant, I dragged your manuscript through brackish ponds, allowing ghastly amphibious creatures to gnaw on your preposterous arguments until just a single tattered page was left. On that page, I used my grandfather’s charcoal pencil to draw a picture of myself dunking a basketball over your confused, athletically-incompetent body; with my non-dominant left hand, I scrawled a caption in poltergeist handwriting that said “PuT ThIS dRAwiNg oN YoUr ReFRigERatoR,” and I knew that you wouldn’t do it but that you’d still be consumed by the revelation that I know you possess a refrigerator.

Martha and the boys are doing well; we built a cabin by the hills. We pluck the blueberries beneath the torch of moonlight and watch the stars dance in the ocean of the sky. When little John sits on my knee, I see my father in him, and my father’s father too. He points to the field that lies just before the curve of the river, and he says, “Papa, why have you attached a plow to Bruce Jøhansen and forced him to plant ragweed despite his crippling seasonal allergies?” One day, son, you’ll understand—when you have tenure.

• Options
    I have not read many tenure announcements, but that is certainly the best.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That guy is also a very cool dude in person and really lovely to his students (and works three doors down from me, maybe some of that will eventually rub off)
    so glad he got tenure.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I am in tears of laughter from reading that aloud to my fiancée.

That is masterful.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Wait, did Ketar get tenure (and apparently work three doors down from Tynic)? Or is this just some random other guy who wrote a cool announcement? I need to know how much to care.
    In this thread, I learned Tynic gave rise to the band Three Doors Down

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Unless I've been working alongside Ketar every day for quite some time now, it's not him.
    edit: Not gonna rule it out though, I don't know what Ketar looks like IRL ...

tynic on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Getting close to publishing my second paper and starting to notice a pattern in reviewer comments.

Reviewer 1:
    - Sees every mistake you've ever made with nightmarish clarity. This is their curse and you WILL share their pain.
    - One of their comments is just "you have a crumb on your chin" and when you check you do actually have a crumb on your chin
    - Says almost nothing positive but low-key likes your work and wants you to succeed

Reviewer 2:
    - Writes all their comments with their feet up on a pile of screamingly overdue paperwork
    - Complains that certain sections of your work lack "clarrty". After seeing them use this word for the third time you realise they mean "clarity", and you taste copper.
    - Suggests you add a diagram explaining the basics of photosynthesis. Your paper is about liver cells.

• Options
    I see you have discovered Reviewer Two.

(see also replies)

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Unless I've been working alongside Ketar every day for quite some time now, it's not him.
    edit: Not gonna rule it out though, I don't know what Ketar looks like IRL ...

While my name is James, my enemies are considerably less interesting than James Mickens' enemies.

I was very nice to the students who worked for me when I did academic research though, so I've got that going for me.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2019
    I have never read a tenure announcement in my life but I guarantee you that if I had it would not have been as good as that one.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I have not read many tenure announcements, but that is certainly the best.

It would be hard to top, unless @The Hanged Man gets tenure somewhere.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

So there ARE dinosaurs at his store, you're just trying to make him feel better about it.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »

So there ARE dinosaurs at his store, you're just trying to make him feel better about it.

Not just dinosaurs, but evolutionary advanced dinosaurs!

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »
    So, this new fucking “metal heath app” work is pushing gives you a score. That’s right, it gameifys mental health, something that seems massively counterintuitive to me.

Your job sounded pretty cool until I realized the typo.

That typo is driving me mad.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »
    Flarne wrote: »

Your job sounded pretty cool until I realized the typo.

That typo is driving me mad.

Try not to stress too much over it.

That wouldn't be good for your metal health

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I mean, hey, there's a whole bunch of similarities between metal and metal health. As Tox touched on, overstressing your metal leads to metal fatigue, which can cause sudden stress fractures. Same goes for brains.

Also, make sure to keep your brain away from water, as this can cause brain-rust, which really, no one wants.

Furthermore, avoid welding your brain to other, dissimilar brains, as this can also cause undue corrosion. Unless of course you install smaller bits of an even more reactive brain to yours to provide sacrificial protection.

If your brain happens to be one that naturally produces a protective oxide layer, avoid scratching through it, as it can lead to more extensive damage.

Finally, for extreme protection, consider anodizing your brain.

Wait no don't, that last one that one's bad for brains.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I mean, hey, there's a whole bunch of similarities between metal and metal health. As Tox touched on, overstressing your metal leads to metal fatigue, which can cause sudden stress fractures. Same goes for brains.

This is getting more and more confusing.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Could we please stop making jokes about mental health?

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Nobody's making jokes about mental health.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    OK engineering conundrum thread, how do we get this:
    87dxi00ykwph.jpg

dvo34uschbpg.jpg

out of here:

xo100il23ug3.jpg

If it wasn't resting on concrete blocks we would jack it slightly off the ground, put some lengths of scaffolding pole or gas pipe underneath and roll it to the gap before lifting it with a telehandler and chain.

My Dad can't remember exactly how it got onto the concrete blocks in the first place, because it was about 30 years ago.

The platform lift in the photo is of no use because you can't operate it once it's under the boiler.

Now I've written this all out the obvious answer is "something you can roll it on that's about the same height as the concrete blocks".

We happen to have 3 old telegraph poles lying around which might be about right.

How much do you really need that other wall? I mean really, it's just one wall.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Also, today is my first "work" day I get off for Columbus Day. I had an amusing conversation with a few Veterans at the hospital I work about it.
    "Yeah, that's one thing we all miss. Government holidays are the best."

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I got Columbus day off as well. I like it and feel guilty at the same time

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yo fuck my printer.

Stupid ancient ass dot-matrix piece of shit.

• Options
    stopgap wrote: »

why? because Columbus? or because the whole concept of a holiday is at odds with the US employment system?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    stopgap wrote: »

why? because Columbus? or because the whole concept of a holiday is at odds with the US employment system?

The first. We don't have it anymore in Nebraska.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

This discussion has been closed.