Options

The Trump Administration sees more turnover than a gas station hotdog.

1282930313234»

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Biden just fired one of them (head of Social Security Administration) and he's refusing to leave.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Biden just fired one of them (head of Social Security Administration) and he's refusing to leave.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/09/politics/social-security-commissioner-fired-by-biden/index.html

"This removal would be an unprecedented and dangerous politicization of the Social Security Administration," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said in a Friday tweet before the news of Saul's firing broke.

Oh, fuck off, you ambulatory foreskin.

You wanna play by the 'unwritten rules'? You fucking stop breaking them.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    MorganV wrote: »

Now, now. A foreskin serves a legitimate biological purpose, the kappa from Kentucky does not.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

I find his argument that the firing was illegal headshaking. The Supreme Court literally just ruled that the President has the right to.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

I find his argument that the firing was illegal headshaking. The Supreme Court literally just ruled that the President has the right to.

Well Biden is a Democrat, so when he does it they don’t have to listen.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular

We well know these guys aren't going to let themselves get bound by things like rules, norms, or laws. As soon as they do that they become mortal and have to behave as if something aside from themselves matter.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    It isn't like govt buildings aren't secured, if the building security deactivates his badge and revokes his network credentials then he's done.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    It isn't like govt buildings aren't secured, if the building security deactivates his badge and revokes his network credentials then he's done.

I believe he was still remote

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Even easier to revoke his access then

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

So then all they have to do is a couple keystrokes and dock his last paycheck the cost of his laptop.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Even easier to revoke his access then

Just to be clear, his access was revoked, and he whined about it

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/09/politics/social-security-commissioner-fired-by-biden/index.html

"This removal would be an unprecedented and dangerous politicization of the Social Security Administration," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said in a Friday tweet before the news of Saul's firing broke.

Also, it was unprecedented that the SSA was headed by someone actively sabotaging it.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I get the feeling McConnell makes statements like that almost as a biological reflex. His species is entirely capable of making those sounds when any aspect of their superiority or power is threatened without any concern as to their meaning or relevancy

It goes beyond a conscious effort at insulting hypocrisy and is almost instinctively pheremonal

Prohass on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Former Trump advisor Tom Barrack has been arrested and accused of being an agent of the United Arab Emirates.
    (CNN)Tom Barrack, a former adviser to former President Donald Trump, was charged Tuesday with illegal foreign lobbying on behalf of the United Arab Emirates for what federal prosecutors described as an effort to influence the foreign policy positions of both the 2016 Trump presidential campaign and the subsequent incoming administration.

Barrack is charged in a seven-count indictment with acting as an agent of the UAE between April 2016 and April 2018. He is also charged with obstruction of justice and making false statements to federal law enforcement agents.
    Barrack was the chairman of Trump's inaugural committee, although the charges appear unrelated to the inauguration.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/20/politics/tom-barrack-arrested/index.html

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Former Trump advisor Tom Barrack has been arrested and accused of being an agent of the United Arab Emirates.
    (CNN)Tom Barrack, a former adviser to former President Donald Trump, was charged Tuesday with illegal foreign lobbying on behalf of the United Arab Emirates for what federal prosecutors described as an effort to influence the foreign policy positions of both the 2016 Trump presidential campaign and the subsequent incoming administration.

Barrack is charged in a seven-count indictment with acting as an agent of the UAE between April 2016 and April 2018. He is also charged with obstruction of justice and making false statements to federal law enforcement agents.
    Barrack was the chairman of Trump's inaugural committee, although the charges appear unrelated to the inauguration.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/20/politics/tom-barrack-arrested/index.html

For someone who claims to be an incredible judge of character, always with "the best people", and claims he's being persecuted solely based on partisanship, Trump sure did surround himself with a rogue's gallery of criminal scumbags.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    He had a Scrubway card and really wanted that free sub.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    The feds are asking that he doesn’t get bail, because it would be trivial for him to flee to a non-extradition country.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Barrack is "detained" until his bail hearing on Monday, which I think means sitting in jail.

• Options
    OricalmOricalm MDRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

Also, it was unprecedented that the SSA was headed by someone actively sabotaging it.

A few days late, but as someone who works in this agency's IT, can I just say how refreshing it is to have a new (acting) commissioner who doesn't believe the rotary telephone is "too much technology" for the government to be using.

Xbox Live: Oricalm
  • Options
    august wrote: »
    Barrack is "detained" until his bail hearing on Monday, which I think means sitting in jail.

"JUST IN: Judge approves deal to release Trump ally Thomas Barrack from jail on $250M bond secured by $5M cash. Barrack ordered to appear in NY fed court Mon for arraignment on charges of illegal foreign lobbying, lying to FBI, & obstruction. He is expected to plead “not guilty.”"
    - Paula Reid is a CNN Senior Legal Affairs Correspondent.

At this point, I'm half hoping he fucks off to a non-extradition country.

First, it'll be seen as a clear sign of guilt, without having to go through the expense of a trial, assuming he can run out the clock (he's a 74yo billionaire)

Second, the government claiming that bond is probably more than they'll get after appeals, pleas, whathaveyou.

Third, it puts way more scrutiny on the next fuckers to face charges. One of the reason that it's as big as it is is that a co-conspirator fucked off before charges were filed.

So, run, Forrest Thomas, run!

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I guess when you're maga-rich you don't have to pony up 10% for bail.

• Options
    I guess when you're maga-rich you don't have to pony up 10% for bail.

I'm pretty sure it's not the same thing?

I know the 10% thing is what you need for a bail bondsman (who's putting up the remainder). In this case, Barrack is taking on the entirety of the debt, so if he runs, there's no bountyhunters (that's a bailbondsman thing too), but he forfeits the entire $250M, which is almost certainly going to be secured in non-transferrable items (real estate, evaluated art, maybe stocks/bonds that are firewalled from transfer, etc)

I could be wrong, I'm no expert on this.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    If I was a criminal billionaire, $250 million seems like a decent price to pay to avoid prison.

• Options
    If I was a criminal billionaire, $250 million seems like a decent price to pay to avoid prison.

I don't disagree, but also given his age and wealth, I'm doubtful he ever would anyway.

He's not Trump, in that he can both get the best legal counsel available, and actually listen to what they tell him to do, and then it's just delay delay delay appeal appeal until he shuffles off his mortal coil.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Lawyers cost less.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    They did say the trump admin would get barrack in jail.
    Monkey paw curled

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Lawyers cost less.

Not if you lose.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Donohue ordered Barrack to surrender his passport, to be fitted with an electronic bracelet, and be subject to GPS monitoring and a curfew.

I don't think he'll be running

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »
    Donohue ordered Barrack to surrender his passport, to be fitted with an electronic bracelet, and be subject to GPS monitoring and a curfew.

I don't think he'll be running

Be interesting if he tried.

Septuagenarian Running Man.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    do you need a passport to go to space?

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    do you need a passport to go to space?

Only if you disembark in another country.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I'd rather he be in a cell and flipping on the rest of his criminal buddies than paying out the millions.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Barrak has nothing to lose by flipping; he's already got more money then god, no interest in running for public office and little interest in either fleeing the country or doing time in jail.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Barrak has nothing to lose by flipping; he's already got more money then god, no interest in running for public office and little interest in either fleeing the country or doing time in jail.

Who knows if they are looking for him to flip? He might be the top figure in the case they are looking at.

• Options

Who knows if they are looking for him to flip? He might be the top figure in the case they are looking at.

Off hand, I'd say that the most obvious would be getting information on either the people he was answering to or other individuals that may have been on the take, either of which would be of interest to investigators.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

But potentially, what does he have to gain? He might be planning on just having his lawyers drag it all out as long as possible, while he gets to enjoy being free until the trial concludes for however long that takes. He might be banking on the legal proceedings being longer than his remaining lifespan.

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Part of the coverage of Barrak from the Rachel Maddow show is that he's personally a very persuasive and charismatic individual. He's entered a not guilty plea, and he may be trusting his personal abilities and wealth to be able to lie through this, rather than flip or flee.

They also pointed out that the bail is literally the largest bail amount ever set in US court.

Tarantio on
  • Options

But potentially, what does he have to gain? He might be planning on just having his lawyers drag it all out as long as possible, while he gets to enjoy being free until the trial concludes for however long that takes. He might be banking on the legal proceedings being longer than his remaining lifespan.

What he gains is leniency and the possibility that he gets to die a free man.