As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Legends of Runeterra]: Enjoy Early and Evening Engagements in this Excellent Expansion

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I FUCKIN DID IT
    NTLbf5d.png

Switched to burn for the playoff push.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    600 is real high too. I never got below 1500 last season.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    A light nerf to Karma is all the synergies. The second spell doesn’t count as an actual spell, so no Lux synergy, Meditation synergy, etc. Something more drastic would be changing her passive to spend one extra mana to double the spell. If you don’t have the mana then no doubling. This is still a great value, even for one-mana spells, while still having some kind of cost associated with it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    So I probably have enough cards/wild cards to make both an aggro deck and a control deck. Where do I go to look at decklists? I don't ranked/constructed much mainly expedition just want something for quests.

Check out this site for some meta lists. The Championless aggro deck is beyond cheap. Literally all Commons and Rares.

Although, I've been using Swimstrim's site myself. Probably overlap between them. I've been playing the Stand Alone OTK deck and it has hard carried me through Silver and most of Gold. It even has a budget version.

Wow that burn aggro deck is powerful, easy to play, and quick. I'm down in silver 4 just used it for some quest xp and daily pvp bonus. Fun and easy to play. Reminds me of some old lock decks from Hearthstone.

• Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    600 is real high too. I never got below 1500 last season.

Is it? I have no barometer for that. I was facing kind of a lot of masters players in the middle/low hundreds.

Now that I'm not like, jumping up and shouting like a dingus, and have eaten dinner, here are some numbers and thoughts! If you want to see the sheet, here it is.
    MF Scouts: 119 - 91 (56% win rate)
    Burn: 41-35 (54% win rate)
    Karma/Lux: 10-22 (31% win rate)
    Bannermen: 4-12 (25% win rate)
    Corvina: 4-6 (40% win rate)

So, some thoughts (spoilered for length):
    I have some shit win rates there, because I never really expected to push for masters seriously, and in my head I was thinking "I should just durdle at diamond and not worry about competing and have fun with random shit." Well, that isn't how my brain works. After getting so horribly burned on Karma/Lux, I was like "I need to win games." Looking at it now, my list is kind of an older one and not optimized, but that would have been a shit climbing list anyways. It takes so long. So my goal was to hitch my wagon to something good, but fun.

For a looooong time, as you can see, that was MF Scouts. I wanted to get really good with the list and overcome it's whatever shortcomings with just deck knowledge and skill. I do think I could have gotten there with Scouts, it would have just taken longer. The problem I was running into was just bad matchups. Bannermen is a really bad matchup for it and it's pretty popular, which meant I was going to have to get kind of lucky to get there, either just getting few matchups with bannermen or just getting really lucky in those games. The matchup is so fucking miserable that I even looked up what it's bad matchups are just so I could play that (it doesn't have any, fyi, it's not worse than 50/50 on anything according to mobalytics).

So I had been looking at burn for a while. The only real advantage scouts has over burn is that it destroys burn, which is the only other deck more popular than bannermen. So maybe that's a dumb idea, I have a better win rate against the more popular deck. Now, burn has overall better matchups across the board, but what it came down to though was the theftability of burn. Sometimes burn can just steal you a game, you get a good hand, you play it right and you close out the game, even if they have a good matchup sometimes they just die. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

So I queued up at diamond 1, 0 lp. 5 net wins to go. I played one game with scouts against a homebrew deck and lost it and that was it. Burn is going to punish random stuff much more harshly than scouts. Homebrews/off meta is actually the largest category of decks I played against. Scouts have a respectable win rate against that, being aggressive is the best thing against untuned or slightly janky builds, but burn is just that much higher.

Took 26 games to get to the net +6 I now needed. I got within one game TWICE before then and lost, both times to a Zed otk build, Fiora specifically. One time he had THREE health potions. How am I supposed to deal with that kind of luck. The second time I might have gotten a little greedy, I could have denied her a kill with the Noxian fervor but I went for the instant kill by sacrificing my Grenadier. I'm pretty confident I still would have lost anyways.

The hilarious thing is, looking back at my games, it's possible I could have cracked off six in a row with scouts, my first six games were burn decks and homebrews, dropping only one burn game because I got greedy going for the win instead of definitely getting a draw. Overall I probably could have pulled off a similar win rate with Scouts across all 26 games but hindsight is 50/50 and I don't have any regrets! I was also feeling a bit of a time crunch with the patch. Burn would likely stop being as powerful an option and with everything being a bit up in the air it'd be hard to know how any of my decks would do.

Them's my thoughts. I'm looking forward to being able to play whatever the hell without any worry about losing rank. There have been some things I wanted to mess around with, like a lot of the TF or Lee Sin decks, just didn't want to bother while I was climbing. Might put some money into some cosmetics too. I was thinking that would be my reward for hitting masters.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I've almost got enough cards to make the burn deck.

Then I can have two real decks.

Edit: after looking at that mobylitics site thing, if I finish building the burn deck I will actually only have one real deck, not two. Oh well. I still like my TFMF plunder deck. Screw fizz.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I've almost got enough cards to make the burn deck.

Then I can have two real decks.

Edit: after looking at that mobylitics site thing, if I finish building the burn deck I will actually only have one real deck, not two. Oh well. I still like my TFMF plunder deck. Screw fizz.

I wish Fizz was better. He's really fun but maybe that's because I'm a terrible person.

• Options
    gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    wow , tht burn deck is legit. Im zooming up ladder.... WHEEEEEEE......

BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I think I might just be too dumb to win games without Bannerman.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I was zooming up the ladder with some Burn Aggro but I keep randomly hitting walls. It seems to depend more on time of day then anything.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Coinage wrote: »
    I think I might just be too dumb to win games without Bannerman.

I wouldn't be that hard on yourself. I really think burn aggro is a pretty difficult archetype to play well. The entire deck pivots on a few decision making points and getting any of them wrong can cost you the entire game.

1. Should I open attack or can I deal more damage by developing the board?
    2. Will I deal more damage long term by using a damage spell on his unit to clear the way or by saving it for face? If I'm saving it for face, what are the odds I get more damage?
    3. What does he have that could foil me right now? If it's a close game is there a spell he could put on the stack after me to kill me before I kill him? If I noxian fervor or Demolitionist, can he kill the target while it's on the stack?
    4. Is it worth it to play this card in the end game, or can I draw into a game ending get excited and will need it to discard?
    5. If I have multiple turn 1 or turn 2 plays, which is the best given the likely enemy deck composition?

It's a much harder deck than the RDW equivalents in Magic in my opinion because of the attack timing decision and the fact that they can play creatures/sorcery speed effects on "your turn." In magic you just play whatever knowing that if you clear a blocker they can't play a newer, bigger one before you attack. It also requires really understanding the opponent's deck and what's in it, the mana costs, etc. It's not easy to play well, despite the "hurr durr go face" memes. It's also walking a tight rope every game, you don't have a long term plan. You have a very short window to win and therefore every decision in that window matters a lot.

If you want to try something a little more medium than Bannermen I feel like Corvina control is a really simple deck. I would really only put burn behind some of the really intense shenanigans like the Karma or TF decks.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Corvina control was the deck that I eventually settled on to get to diamond after bouncing around mid plat for awhile with a bunch of different decks; I think it's matchup vs burn aggro particularly helps a lot

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Corvina was the deck I picked to do the last couple games into diamond. I do actually think it's a little weaker in the meta at the moment due to the prevalence of Karma/Lux which just out controls it and is probably attracting the heavier control players.

It's a solid list and like Bannermen it doesn't have any true weaknesses. The worst matchups are again, Karma/Lux or Deep which aren't really super prevalent. My biggest knock against it as a climbing list is probably game length.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    website is being fidgety but:

CHAMPS:
    Vladimir now Drains the opposing nexus instead of just damaging
    Karma cost from 5 to 6
    Shen has 1 more attack
    Vi has 1 less health
    Hecarim has 1 more attack

UNITS:
    Greathorn Companion has +1 Attack
    Grizzled Ranger AND Loyal Badgerbear have -1 Attack
    Laurent Chevalier has +1 Health
    Kindly Tavernkeeper has +1 Attack
    Boomcrew Rookie has -1 Health
    Legion Rearguard has -1 Health
    Slotbot has +1/+1 Attack/Health
    Monkey Idol has +1 Health
    Longtooth has +1 Health

SPELLS:
    Stand Alone costs 1 more
    Deep Meditation costs 1 more
    Brood Awakening costs 1 more

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Slotbot is one of the first cards I put wildcards into! Yay slotbot buff!

• Options
    edited May 2020
    The Legion Rearguard nerf is kind of random and unexpected to me. I don't think it's a problem with the deck and really reduces the card's niche in the deck as the one drop that doesn't die to thermogenic or literally any follower on turn 1. The problem with the deck is the ridiculous amount of damage that gets to the face regardless of the game state, and that card doesn't do that, it's easily the most fair and it's value falls off a lot outside of the very early game. Crimson Disciple seemed waaaay worse to me.

Ranger/Badgerbear are in line with what I thought, and fair. The Greathorn Companion buff is reaaaaally interesting though. Having played a ton of scouts I'm not sure it makes the cut still, mostly because the deck is aggressive and you don't want to have so many 5s with it and Quinn, but if there's a midrange grindy value scouts? Maybe.

Edit: Oh also Brood Awakening nerf seems a little uncalled for. Spiders aren't running away with the game. It's probably okay. Stand Alone nerf seems to just single handedly kill the Fiora/Zed deck too. Not being able to drop it on turn 3 with the champ seems like a significant setback. Which is fine, I won't miss it, but again it's not like it was sooooo good anyways.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    Brood Awakening is certainly a strong card so I could see nerfing it, but it's really only used in slow decks that want to bodies as blockers or empowering they who wander; not they should balance all cards around current meta decks

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if Greathorn buff is for Expeditions Quinn

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    Brood Awakening is certainly a strong card so I could see nerfing it, but it's really only used in slow decks that want to bodies as blockers or empowering they who wander; not they should balance all cards around current meta decks

I mean, the change isn't going to improve other kinds of decks that will want the effect, like aggressive spiders. I actually don't think it's so bad, because it's still castable on turn 3 with banked mana, but that's again more of a boon for control decks than aggressive spiders.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    NO! I was climbing hard with the Stand Alone deck! :bigfrown:

Oh well, guess I'll switch to something else then.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Pride poros

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    The Legion Rearguard nerf is kind of random and unexpected to me. I don't think it's a problem with the deck and really reduces the card's niche in the deck as the one drop that doesn't die to thermogenic or literally any follower on turn 1. The problem with the deck is the ridiculous amount of damage that gets to the face regardless of the game state, and that card doesn't do that, it's easily the most fair and it's value falls off a lot outside of the very early game. Crimson Disciple seemed waaaay worse to me.

Ranger/Badgerbear are in line with what I thought, and fair. The Greathorn Companion buff is reaaaaally interesting though. Having played a ton of scouts I'm not sure it makes the cut still, mostly because the deck is aggressive and you don't want to have so many 5s with it and Quinn, but if there's a midrange grindy value scouts? Maybe.

Edit: Oh also Brood Awakening nerf seems a little uncalled for. Spiders aren't running away with the game. It's probably okay. Stand Alone nerf seems to just single handedly kill the Fiora/Zed deck too. Not being able to drop it on turn 3 with the champ seems like a significant setback. Which is fine, I won't miss it, but again it's not like it was sooooo good anyways.

Yeah, the Legion Rearguard nerf was the one that most stood out to me too. It feels like it might kill that card dead. Or at least, half dead.

And Brood Awakening feels kinda painful and I never felt like it was a problem. We'll have to see.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I don't think that Rearguard is necessarily toast, I mean, what else is burn going to put in? But it's pretty solidly worse than Saboteur I feel. At least the Saboteur gets through some, versus before it felt like there was a triangle of usefulness between rearguard, saboteur, and spider. Actually maybe elixir of wrath becomes useful in that slot, but then at the same time your ability to sneak at least one attacker through blockers is reduced without all the plentiful 1 drops.

It's kind of strange but nice to ladder without caring. My rank has been in a little bit of a freefall this morning as I stretch my legs out and try some different things. It's probably not great to do that though. I should probably commit to playing a given deck 20-25 times to give myself enough time to actually learn it and assess it. I'm thinking about something with TF, or actually maybe a more plunder focused MF build. It's weird to want to play MF more after I spent well over 100 games with her but you know what, she's just a really fun champion.

I've whipped through Vi/Lee Sin, TF Yoink, Keg Control, and Karma/Lux, with mehhhh results on all of them.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    The other thing with the rearguard nerf is it's now one less target for things like Transfusion or Imperial Demolitionist.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Aww, an Endure Spiders budget deck is my only complete non-starter deck. Now it gets a nerf :(

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Rearguard is dead but that's fine it was annoying. Fuck yo flame imp
    kime wrote: »
    Aww, an Endure Spiders budget deck is my only complete non-starter deck. Now it gets a nerf :(
    I think it won't make much of a difference when you're actually playing other spiders. You're getting the value from attack buff, the stall decks were playing it just for 3 2/1s to block

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Deep Meditation nerf is actually a Heimer buff funnily enough.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Rearguard is dead but that's fine it was annoying. Fuck yo flame imp
    kime wrote: »
    I think it won't make much of a difference when you're actually playing other spiders. You're getting the value from attack buff, the stall decks were playing it just for 3 2/1s to block

I mean yeah, that's what I was doing mostly. Stall with spiders until Those Who Endure comes out. It's probably not a big deal, just annoying that they hit the one deck I had :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Deep Meditation nerf is actually a Heimer buff funnily enough.

I dunno, I kind of feel like it washes out or is a silver lining. You'd probably rather just have more mana to cast more spells. The elusive is nice but it's not like the deck has trouble getting them. I think it washes out.

• Options
    This MF/TF/GP plunder deck I am using is HOT GARBAGE. Maybe it's just bad matchups or something but I am 1-7 with it. These decks really kicked my ass a lot but I suppose I was much more susceptible to their piddly make it rain damage. Bannermen don't give a shiiiit. It's also very possible I might just need a writeup on it but given that it's not even considered C tier on mobalytics it's probably just a pile.

• Options
    Yeah that list doesn't make sense to me, I swapped GP and Rex out for lower cost cards. I think it's fundamentally a casino deck though

• Options
    Yeah that list doesn't make sense to me, I swapped GP and Rex out for lower cost cards. I think it's fundamentally a casino deck though

Yeah Rex just seems bad. It's hard to get in to deal damage with all of my pathetic weaklings that late in the game so you need a spell or something to get there, so he's fundamentally more expensive. Ultimately I think it's trying to do entirely too much. You can try to do kegs or TF card draw but probably not both. Gangplank also just seems like a thoroughly underwhelming card. He needs a redesign already. I can't believe he made it out like this. A better statted Gangway Deckhand?

• Options
    I've had a lot of fun with this TF/gangplak/fiz list

https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks/bqmsbhhla4s8qc1g4u9g

I don't think it's good but still pulls out some wins; mostly off plunder BS. Gangplank does seem a little lackluster but the list does need a few big bodies in there

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Several times though I've gotten lethal with warning shot which is great. Nope game is over bye

• Options

I don't think it's good but still pulls out some wins; mostly off plunder BS. Gangplank does seem a little lackluster but the list does need a few big bodies in there
    swim is a lot like dog or kibler where it's pretty hard to win with their decks when you aren't them lol

• Options

swim is a lot like dog or kibler where it's pretty hard to win with their decks when you aren't them lol

I think a lot of it is not knowing why certain things are in there or the exact logic behind the deck. I can look at the deck and have a rough idea but some things aren't just initially intuitive, especially like what you're looking for in a mulligan in a specific game.

• Options
    So far its mulling for plunder tools into slow decks and usually ping dmg into faster decks - it's a relatively slow deck

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Yeah it's pretty fucking shitty. It seems like it just gets absolutely ruined by Bannermen in a way that won't be helped post patch. 1 cost Cithria is already out of Make it Rain range, and then a common second play of War Chefs also is, in addition to Brightsteel giving cover to Fleetfeather. Then you're off to the fucking races with Badgerbears and Fiora and Bannermen and you're just sad. You have to basically have two aoes to bring them down, and you can't really drop down barrels fast enough AND protect them from death. Further, they're dropping at least a body per turn so very quickly Make it Rain just doesn't remove enough even if you do get the barrel count up.

I called it after 13 games. Yeah maybe I could have gone 25 but I played a decent number of different things and I'm not confident in it at all right now. My new thing is the Lee/Vi deck and it's pretty fun!

I'm having some trouble deciding what to direct my wildcards to. I was thinking deep, but I'm feeling like Sejuani and/or Swain might be pretty good post patch. I only need a handful of cards for deep, versus needing 5 champions and the Leviathans and Tuskraiders. We'll see what happens with the vault opening I suppose. Swain/TF is apparently a thing and would be less taxing.

@Yilias here's my new spreadsheet if you have any thoughts. I'm having a problem where there are too many opposing deck archetypes to track. Your Hearthstone one was nice because you could just do a per class thing, but there are 7!+7 combinations of decks including mono faction so obviously that's too many. There are 14 S and A tier decks on Mobalytics too. This will probably be exacerbated post patch when new archetypes come to the fore and current ones might die down. I'm not certain how to do this and keep it manageable. I could just put all the decks at the top row and freeze the left column and you could just scroll, but I might play a lot of decks so then you'd need to h-scroll a lot. Figured you might have ideas.

ChaosHat on