As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Legends of Runeterra]: Enjoy Early and Evening Engagements in this Excellent Expansion

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Huzzah! beat this week's Gauntlet. 7-2 w/ Freljord/NoX :D
    @MNC Dover ’s deck got me to 7 this week, either 7-2 or 7-3. Thanks for posting them, Dover! With these kinds of games I love playing but I hate deckbuilding.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Huzzah! beat this week's Gauntlet. 7-2 w/ Freljord/NoX :D
    "MNC Dover" ’s deck got me to 7 this week, either 7-2 or 7-3. Thanks for posting them, Dover! With these kinds of games I love playing but I hate deckbuilding.

Glad to see everyone having some success. Fun fact: I posted my Gauntlet win and code on the official Runeterra tweet about this week's Gauntlet and multiple people have commented on getting 7 wins using my deck. I'm helping!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Made it to game 7 in Gauntlet and lost entirely because of elusive spam.

That mode can go fuck itself, I'm going back to constructed.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I just started playing this game yesterday. It's really good. Way better than Magic's current format.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    I just started playing this game yesterday. It's really good. Way better than Magic's current format.

Welcome! Feel free to ask any questions. The game’s got a bit of a learning curve, so be prepared to lose some games from mistakes.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Is the starter pack worth it? Should I be focusing on one faction experience-wise or spread it out, hitting low hanging fruit?

Steam
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Is the starter pack worth it? Should I be focusing on one faction experience-wise or spread it out, hitting low hanging fruit?

I've seen it suggested to spread exp across then all for the first 8 levels, but I think I would instead suggest "just use all the bonus exp before you start leveling past that on another track."

The beginner pack is more for supporting Riot than any real benefit, as far as I can tell.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options

There's no one way to do the region tracks. The early consensus was to hit level 8 in a region (your first free Champ) then switch to another region. This will give you a taste of each regions cards and help you decide which archetypes you gravitate towards.

As for the starter pack, it's a good deal if you want to acquire more cards faster. I got it, but would have been fine without it. Years of HS and MtG conditioned me to think that I'd never have everything without tons of play time. LoR is quite the opposite. You'll get buckets of cards thrown at you each week just by getting your Vault to ~11/12 each week (which can be done by completing your daily quest and getting 3 PvP wins). I have virtually every card now after playing for a few months, which I still find unbelievable.

The biggest lynch-pin will be Champions. The game features duplicate protection for Epics and Champs, so crafting either is never a bad thing.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    The starter pack is also prorated. As you pick up the cards that are in it it becomes cheaper.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    I don't think the starter pack is worth getting, personally. You can see what cards it gives you. I was quite willing to buy it but when I looked to see what I'd get I didn't feel any reason to.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I looked at the cards a while ago and felt it's not a great value. It's not super meta.

I kind of can't believe there aren't more card bundles. They could have put together a new one for Bilgewater. Rotating bundles, champ cards.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Haha I just won against a Maokai deck because he ran out of cards first. Nab isn't the same as copying the cards sometimes!

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Coinage wrote: »
    Haha I just won against a Maokai deck because he ran out of cards first. Nab isn't the same as copying the cards sometimes!

I ran into that issue a lot trying to play Maokai in expeditions. Toss mills you faster then it mills them in that mode.

shryke on
  • Options
    Patch notes. Nerfs really overhyped.

Two changes: Pilfered goods to 3 mana, Solitary Monk to 3/3? The website isn't loading the solitary monk picture. For 1.6 they are planning an adjustment to Heimer bots, reworking discard based units, and adjusting Noxus direct damage on low cost units.

Pilfered seems...like overkill?

• Options
    Pilfer should be unplayably bad. I was hoping for more elusive nerfs but it wasn't supposed to be a balance patch so whatever. I wanted monk to be a 4 mana 4/3 though.

• Options
    Okay, so like, what does this change? Heimer is worse. Getting 1-2 swings off a solitary helps a lot, and 2 damage can matter in this game. It also trades more poorly, commonly Solitary was a turn 3 deal 4 and remove a thing. I don't think it substantially changes non-Heimer elusive strategies though, the problem with those has always felt like the interaction of Greenglade Duo and the ability to replay stuff cheaply, or cheat out stuff with the allegiance card.

The nab nerf still feels unwarranted. MF/Sej has already fallen off it's perch and this won't help, and this really takes the wind out of the sails of Ez/TF as it was going. I kind of feel like the whole Bilgewater faction is going to get subtly reworked over a few patches. They're going to have to start reallocating some of Bilgewater's power to other stuff.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Seems like a whole lot of nothing to me. But it doesn't seem like it was intended to be a super big thing.

Frankly, there's gonna need to be some more fundamental changes to a few things to fix issues like Elusives. We're gonna need a card dump and some major changes to really shake up some of the main issues with the game's meta.

Kinda kicks TF/Ezreal in the teeth a bit though and that was one of the few interesting decks in the top tier right now.

shryke on
  • Options
    My Vault gave me a few 4 Commons and 4 Rares I was missing. And one of my Diamond Chests had a Maoki. That means I'll I'm missing is x1 Katrina and x3 Yasuo. Please let my next random champ be Katrina, if merely to show off the insane RNG of me not landing Yasuo.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    So, what would you change for 1.6 (besides Quinn buffs) since this is not the big balancing. Well, they gave us some hints.

I'd switch heimers elusives and fearsomes. Some people think there are too many good spells at 4 and this would still be too good, but those spells are all reactive, so their utility is lower. You can't just be popping off denies whenever you want, or will on a low value unit will feel bad. I also think you could just nerf flash of brilliance and leave it. Fearsome is much easier for normal decks to interact with.

How do you reduce noxus direct damage? I feel like reducing the demo or disciple triggers is the easiest way to do it. Maybe grenadier but I don't feel like it's as terrible and there's a real ceiling on the damage it can do. It's not too hard to get double triggers off on disciple, whether that's demo and a transfuse, or taking a ping and then transfusing onto the disciple to block something 3 damage and living. I wish disciple could deal 1.5 damage. I feel like the trigger down to 1 damage per activation is too low. Maybe you could do 1 damage per and make it a 1/4 so you could get that activation?

I do know if they get double Demolitionist on disciples that's 8 damage at least and it feels fucking crushing.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    I picked up 2 more epics, 12 to go now.

I'm unsure if I should keep doing expeditions given that I could passively acquire that last dozen before the next expac (end of August? September?). I'd need either a 5/6/7 spread or two 7s to not lose money.

My last month was
    5/2/7 (-1100)
    7/7/7 (+3000)
    7/4/7 (+900)
    7/7/5 (+1300)
    7/2/6 (-600)
    which is net +3500, but carried pretty hard by that triple 7.

I guess there's something to be said for staying in practice, and I suppose ultimately it's not that critical if the pile of excess money gets a little smaller, but I feel like I would be pretty stressed about 7s going from free loot to a baseline requirement and a lot of frustration if I didn't make it.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    So, what would you change for 1.6 (besides Quinn buffs) since this is not the big balancing. Well, they gave us some hints.

I'd switch heimers elusives and fearsomes. Some people think there are too many good spells at 4 and this would still be too good, but those spells are all reactive, so their utility is lower. You can't just be popping off denies whenever you want, or will on a low value unit will feel bad. I also think you could just nerf flash of brilliance and leave it. Fearsome is much easier for normal decks to interact with.

How do you reduce noxus direct damage? I feel like reducing the demo or disciple triggers is the easiest way to do it. Maybe grenadier but I don't feel like it's as terrible and there's a real ceiling on the damage it can do. It's not too hard to get double triggers off on disciple, whether that's demo and a transfuse, or taking a ping and then transfusing onto the disciple to block something 3 damage and living. I wish disciple could deal 1.5 damage. I feel like the trigger down to 1 damage per activation is too low. Maybe you could do 1 damage per and make it a 1/4 so you could get that activation?

I do know if they get double Demolitionist on disciples that's 8 damage at least and it feels fucking crushing.

What if Disciple did 1 to face and 1 to a random/target enemy?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options

FoB to 4, that prevents the turn 5 swing of Heimer into FoB(s) into Twin Disciplines to dodge removal and put 6-12 elusive power in play
    Swap the elusive turrets with the 5 mana one (quick attack), still serves as chip damage that people will often let through but now have the option to block, and gives a reason to play undiscounted Deep Meditation
    Demolitionist self-damage to 2, that drops Disciple to 1 health, same mana efficiency for the damage but you can't get a second trigger off another Demolitionist or Transfusion, and it makes it a lot more dicey to drop on other units.

Long term I think they eventually rework elusive. Probably something like a stealth status that the unit loses on strike, with minor buffs to the aggressive elusives and major buffs to the value oriented ones like Teemo/Ezreal/Lifeblade.

• Options
    Yilias wrote: »

FoB to 4, that prevents the turn 5 swing of Heimer into FoB(s) into Twin Disciplines to dodge removal and put 6-12 elusive power in play
    Swap the elusive turrets with the 5 mana one (quick attack), still serves as chip damage that people will often let through but now have the option to block, and gives a reason to play undiscounted Deep Meditation
    Demolitionist self-damage to 2, that drops Disciple to 1 health, same mana efficiency for the damage but you can't get a second trigger off another Demolitionist or Transfusion, and it makes it a lot more dicey to drop on other units.

Long term I think they eventually rework elusive. Probably something like a stealth status that the unit loses on strike, with minor buffs to the aggressive elusives and major buffs to the value oriented ones like Teemo/Ezreal/Lifeblade.

How bad would it be if Elusive couldn't attack the same turn it was summoned?

• Options
    Yilias wrote: »

Would fob now restore 4 mana or only 3? Increasing the self harm to demo is an interesting idea, I wonder if it would be too nerfing to the self harm archetype overall. The other crimsons and freljord units shouldn't pay for the sins of the disciple.

I'm not sure how you can rebalance elusives in that way that would also feel better. You're proposing they all be navori bladescouts and buffed up a little to compensate, I think that would lean into them feeling more like burn.

The problem is they're too efficient for the cost. A 2/1 for 1 isn't that disadvantaged on curve for the stats, especially when the game has much less removal so the 1 health is less of a drawback if the upside is "you can't block me." Like realistically the duo is a grenadier that keeps hitting (since he'll usually be blocked and only deal 2 and die). I feel like shadow assassin would be fairly statted if it didn't draw a card.

The problem is that then they'd never get played because they'd be outclassed by other aggro options, and if the goal is "faster than hearthstone average game length" you can't really slow down aggro because it slows down the entire game. You'd have to shift average win turn by like 2 turns across all archetypes.

• Options
    They could go about it a number of ways, that just seemed like the lowest effort way to do it while preserving their bounce synergies. I just think they'll ultimately decide on a mechanical change of some kind to the keyword as a permanent solution.

4 mana FoB I'd only refund 3.

Demo change would hurt self-harm a lot but that archetype is already like C-tier at best. If they want to push it it's going to need changes to multiple things, which can be from other cards in the list (like making Vlad a better choice for the deck than Swain lol).

Runeterra has a lot of chip damage and limited lifegain and removal options, it's not really possible to have games as long as Hearthstone. Control mirrors in Hearthstone frequently involve people drawing their entire deck and then some. We've even had matchups so slow that games would draw by hitting the 90 turn limit after about an hour of play. Aggro is good for preventing the meta from getting too greedy, but I wouldn't stress about game length.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    The game length thing is also just that I'm not sure it's possible to meaningfully change it without restructuring the game. If aggro goes longer, it just becomes midrange and if midrange goes longer it just becomes control. There's kind of a ceiling on how long the games can go because cards rapidly get more powerful with mana cost which is an incentive to close games out. Stuff like Harrowing or Riptide Rex or Dreadway will end games rapidly.

I think that's the end thing that will kind of always make certain archetypes in this game feel unfair or cheap. Aggro has to end the game very quickly or it just doesn't exist at all. There's way less draw in this game compared to Magic, so you can't refuel your hand as well. Similarly, late game decks are always going to abruptly win in a hurry. Ledros, multiple champs with Rekindler, Atrocity + big boy, or Ezreal going off is totally by design. That's also probably why so many late game things are uncounterable or not interactive. You deal with ledros? He's coming back. Have an answer for ezreal? He can kill you at burst speed.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    I found this video to be super helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QknT5vfp5s

Ended up building the budget Endure Spiders deck listed here and it feels pretty alright.

Steam
  • Options
    Looks like we might have paid battle passes soon for that upcoming event: https://www.reddit.com/r/LegendsOfRuneterra/comments/hnct4z/datamined_premium_is_coming_soon/

Not sure I can support Tencent financially and be ok with it, when they bought out GGG I stopped paying for stuff in PoE.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Played a Lab. Seems pointless for zero rewards.

I do kind of wish the singleton gauntlet was this instead.

Hey and my level 19 PnZ chest upgraded to a champ, so I now have all champs. Yaaaay.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    Have they said what tomorrow's gauntlet will be?

• Options
    For a mode called ARAM this sure is calm and boring.

• Options
    I tried it. It was fun for like a game or two. But it's just really kinda random and has quickly gotten boring. The games are super slow and people take for-goddamn-ever to make their plays.

Lots of art assets went into this thing though.

Still better then Gauntlet at least.

• Options
    Uhhhhh, I just opened up my vault again? I was under the impression that this week was an extra long week for vault opening to change it to Thursdays, but evidently it's a super short one.

• Options
    It's probably unintended, the patch notes were pretty explicit.
    Starting with this patch, we’re updating Vault unlock timing to put it more safely after our patch timing.

Vault unlock time moved from Tuesday to Thursday at 8 AM (local time based on shard).
    This week’s Vault duration extended to nine days to make the transition.

• Options
    I guess it doesn't hurt anything since it's basically just a bonus vault anyways.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Uhhhhh, I just opened up my vault again? I was under the impression that this week was an extra long week for vault opening to change it to Thursdays, but evidently it's a super short one.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Mirror zombnivia is as cursed as old mirror control warrior

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

I would have complained, but I had enough banked quests to reach the random champion and it randomly upgraded to a champion wildcard, so you win this round I guess.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    m7sxs1ivltpe.png

Wow, it actually happened. I acquired all of the Champions in the game before getting a single Yasuo. In honor of the event, I made a short video.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Yeah, I got 3 gold chests and a Vlad. Which is fine.

I am like 4k XP away from having every region track leveled. Between cards and wildcards I can own every non-champion card in the game and a decent chunk extra. And technically I've got more then enough shards to buy all the champs too. I feel pretty set for the next card drop.