As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Legends of Runeterra]: Enjoy Early and Evening Engagements in this Excellent Expansion

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Is there gonna be a reset before launch?

• Options
    JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Nope, all progress now is kept

404 not found
  • Options
    Jimbo wrote: »

Nope, all progress now is kept

Nice.

I'm assuming region progress doesn't reset every week? You just keep doing it and then you are done and move on to another region?

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The only progress that resets is the vault, but you get to open said vault and keep the sweet, sweet cards within!

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I came about 1500 exp short of vault max out, which is a bit disappointing but on the other hand I don't feel like I played a ridiculous amount and we're going into a full week and it should be no problem at all.

Oh also you should start or end your sessions every day with immediately surrendering to the AI 5 times for 250 exp, it takes five minutes. If you end your day at a good winrate, you can also instant concede a couple games in the unranked queue to get that pvp loss exp.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I didn't even know that was a thing. Explains why someone might have insta-conceded last night vs me.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Here is a thing that could maybe go in the OP.

f6j1a0xootc41.png?width=1308&format=png&auto=webp&s=37aa5ccd14ab3c8e7dd4725d5a2ca83c0285554e

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    trying to complete a "target enemies" quest but literally every deck i play against is a shadow isles deck that just blows up their own dudes as soon as i target them with something

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I guess it maximizes time and minimizes costs, but I don't think I could ever just give out a win like that.

I ended up playing a ton with this Fjelord and Demacia deck and folks just couldn't outpace it. I was consistently getting my Braum leveled up with pre-buffs and (+3/+3 on a damaged unit if he wasn't already buffed with Omen Hawk or Starlit Seer) then slamming Redoubled Valor on him. Radiant Guardians are also a bomb with Redoubled Valor and I often had them out with Braum forcing the player (if they had removal) to focus on one or the other. Rimetusk Shaman was there to completely shut down their big threats to have a chance at breaking through the line and Purify just absolutely frustrated a lot of decks (I sniped a lot of people running Undying and that Shark ephemeral that keeps coming back).

All in all fun deck to close out the first week. I'm curious what my fault rewards will be.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ED! wrote: »
    I guess it maximizes time and minimizes costs, but I don't think I could ever just give out a win like that.

I ended up playing a ton with this Fjelord and Demacia deck and folks just couldn't outpace it. I was consistently getting my Braum leveled up with pre-buffs and (+3/+3 on a damaged unit if he wasn't already buffed with Omen Hawk or Starlit Seer) then slamming Redoubled Valor on him. Radiant Guardians are also a bomb with Redoubled Valor and I often had them out with Braum forcing the player (if they had removal) to focus on one or the other. Rimetusk Shaman was there to completely shut down their big threats to have a chance at breaking through the line and Purify just absolutely frustrated a lot of decks (I sniped a lot of people running Undying and that Shark ephemeral that keeps coming back).

All in all fun deck to close out the first week. I'm curious what my fault rewards will be.

I mean most of us will lose a few games even at a good win rate but if you log on for a half hour, win three games and that's it for the day, maybe just do some unranked and hit the surrender a couple times and it's basically just free exp. I imagine most people will come by their losses the honest way though, but it's something to keep in mind if you have a wildly successful run.

• Options
    trying to complete a "target enemies" quest but literally every deck i play against is a shadow isles deck that just blows up their own dudes as soon as i target them with something

This is also why I've struggled to make Ezreal work (though I'm sure I'm using her wrong). Just feels like it's easier to slam down followers and fitting in enough spells that target enemies seems like a lot of work.

• Options
    Yeah, Radiant Guardians are stupid strong imo. Maybe too strong for their cost. I had one played against me and it basically won the other guy the game. I immediately edited my deck and put them in.

• Options
    Tough seems crazy good since it's every source. Like maybe the first source so it's a regenerating 1 health or something. I dunno, maybe I'm salty because I've had a bunch of spiderlings who are powerless to affect it.

• Options
    I think a 5 mana 5/5 that's basically vanilla unless you had a unit die is fair. . .ish. It is backbreaking though if it comes down at all buffed, which it usually does if you can get Hawk and Seer procs or (even better) Avarosan Hearthguard (all allies in deck get +1/+1) out before hand. It just soaks up removal.

. . .I will say it sucks to have to play around but I feel like every deck out there now has that one or two card that you need to basically plan against.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I may have Dusk and Dawn'd a Radiant Guardian who's been buffed the other day.

Was sitting at 5 before the attack, and was back to full health afterwards.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    My main thought so far, at least with mostly just the cards they give you for free at the start, is that Demacia (spelling?) is really strong.

• Options
    Demacia seems the most straightforward powerful, yeah. The others require trickery / strategy.

That being said, the game requires WAY more thought than Hearthstone, so I worry for it.

• Options
    i'm gonna say that the company that made the most successful MOBA in the world is not worried about players needing to think

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Also a very important mechanic:

If you grab a unit to attack, you can scoop up other units with it and slam them all into the attack zone.

v satisfying

• Options
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Also a very important mechanic:

If you grab a unit to attack, you can scoop up other units with it and slam them all into the attack zone.

v satisfying

I read this totally wrong: I thought you were talking about Challenger and was Googling furiously to see this in action.
    i'm gonna say that the company that made the most successful MOBA in the world is not worried about players needing to think

Having never played LOL or any moba for that matter, I'm not sure if this is a dig or a pat on the back to RIOT games.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    After unlocking my first vault and a whole.bunch of quests popping, this games freemium model seems fair. Got a draft token, and enough shards to enter 2 drafts. I believe you're maxed at 3 a week then they're free. Seems pretty generous so far.

Also, found this article that has some decks that are recommended

https://mobalytics.gg/blog/12-meta-decks-budget-decks-legends-of-runeterra-launch/

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I came about 1500 exp short of vault max out, which is a bit disappointing but on the other hand I don't feel like I played a ridiculous amount and we're going into a full week and it should be no problem at all.

Oh also you should start or end your sessions every day with immediately surrendering to the AI 5 times for 250 exp, it takes five minutes. If you end your day at a good winrate, you can also instant concede a couple games in the unranked queue to get that pvp loss exp.

I'm confused by what you're saying to do. I conceded 5 games vs the so, and at game 5 i was only getting 25 xp for conceding.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Well, I'm playing this too. I've settled on a Shadow Isle with minor Ionia deck with Thresh and Zed based on last breath mechanics. Feels like I'm doing pretty well so far. Name same as here if anyone wants to fite me ;)

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    Well that didn't take long. The netdecks are running wild all over the game now.

• Options
    tbqh many of the deck archetypes are extremely obvious so i can't even say i'd be able to tell the difference between netdecks and just jamming together the obvious synergies

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Added the experience chart to the OP.

Also started adding a friends list section.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    After going 2-2 in both of my drafts, I start another one with shards.

nbxc7bythptb.png

It's not my lucky day.

(That's supposed to be a freeze deck but I got nothing but shrooms. They also went 3 or 4 draws while at 1.)

• Options
    Two irritating losses in a row because I wasn't quite sure what certain effects would do or when certain rounds would be skipped.

On the plus side, Brightsteel Formation is hilarious for closing a game out. This guy literally had a huge juggernaut of units building up and it just completely shut him down. And without some quick removal it seems fairly hard to stop as a late-game closer.

• Options
    I was seeing the same Ephemeral deck, which isn't low on Epics. Totally could have been bad luck, but after playing for a few more hours tonight I don't think so.

• Options
    Suddenly tonight I started seeing a TON of "elite" decks using that fucking battlesmith. I didn't even know that was a unit type before and suddenly I was seeing the same-ish deck almost every game. One guy literally surrendered the second I used 2 challenger units to kill his 2 battlesmiths before he got rolling. I laughed a bit.

The other one I'm seeing constantly is some sort of Zed/Ephemeral based deck. Personally I can never get Zed to work for me. He just dies too damn fast if the enemy has any blockers available.

• Options
    Weird, I also coincidentally tried going elites today for no reason other than I had a first pick Battlesmith. It went really well the first two games and then completely fizzled the next two. Then I tried going Fiora and got two very fast wins and got completely wrecked in the next two games.

Then I went 0-2 with the Ashe deck that turned out to be a Teemo deck, and then 2-2 with a Kalista deck that seemed okay but my computer crashed at the start of the 3rd game.

All in all, a really bad night of drafting and now I don't get to draft anymore this week. That feels pretty bad, considering drafting is the best.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    You know what's stupid fun? Play a 7+ evasive on opponent's attack turn. Triple it on your turn (the one spell that makes two ephemeral copies).

Instant kill :rotate:. Pulled a game out of the fire that way earlier tonight. This Jinx/Zed deck is proving fun. I never seem to draw Jinx, but all those point removals are nice (and the fact that Mystic Shot and Get Excited can go to the dome to finish someone off is very helpful).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »

I'm confused by what you're saying to do. I conceded 5 games vs the so, and at game 5 i was only getting 25 xp for conceding.

Sorry, you only get 50 exp for the first four, 25 after that. I misread what someone told me on the internet.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I had a lot of fun with the drafting part. Went 4 wins on the first trial, then got all kinds of cards to build a barrier deck. Then got utterly wrecked by elusive. Regular constructed is rarely fun for me. It was my freljord / demacia starter deck vs like.. most of the hottest netdecks out there. Which is fine, but a bit demoralizing.

• Options
    Two irritating losses in a row because I wasn't quite sure what certain effects would do or when certain rounds would be skipped.

On the plus side, Brightsteel Formation is hilarious for closing a game out. This guy literally had a huge juggernaut of units building up and it just completely shut him down. And without some quick removal it seems fairly hard to stop as a late-game closer.

Brightsteel Formation has been my favorite card in the deck I'm running. Your guys are all bigger? Doesn't matter. My guys take no damage.

I managed to get a leveled up Garan and a Brightsteel out in a tight game and it just ended the game right there. Yes, I am attacking even on your turn and, yes, that gives my guys bubbles.

I even had a Judgment in hand I didn't have to use.

• Options
    Yeah I'm seeing mostly Ephemeral decks with The Undying and Shark Boy. Turn 2 Shark turn 3 Undying or Zed and you're swinging for 8 or 9 damage.

. . .and someone mentioned this upthread, there really isn't much card draw in this game, so if you're getting to turn 10 and an empty hand it's basically who top-decks the best.

• Options
    ED! wrote: »
    Yeah I'm seeing mostly Ephemeral decks with The Undying and Shark Boy. Turn 2 Shark turn 3 Undying or Zed and you're swinging for 8 or 9 damage.

. . .and someone mentioned this upthread, there really isn't much card draw in this game, so if you're getting to turn 10 and an empty hand it's basically who top-decks the best.

That was me! It seems insane because you draw twice the cards per game as you do in magic, but on the other hand you can play sorcery speed effects on your opponent's turn and all your "lands" untap each turn so that's just keeping pace at best. You also never miss land drops so you never spend turns stuck on a given mana cost (which, to be clear, is a good thing). I think this is one of the worst aspects of the game mechanically.

• Options
    Yeah, I've found that by late-game someone is almost always top-decking and once you are top decking it's not even really a game anymore.

• Options
    I'm curious as to how much the topdecking is a consequence of the actual game design, versus how much of it is still a very early meta, and most people having what is still a pretty small card pool, so there's still a significant amount of optimizations to be made.

Which isn't to dismiss anyone who's not currently having fun with it, but it's an interesting consequence of the way they've decided to structure their reward packages.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I'm curious as to how much the topdecking is a consequence of the actual game design, versus how much of it is still a very early meta, and most people having what is still a pretty small card pool, so there's still a significant amount of optimizations to be made.

Which isn't to dismiss anyone who's not currently having fun with it, but it's an interesting consequence of the way they've decided to structure their reward packages.

Nah, there's almost no cards that even replace themselves, so once you can throw out two cards a turn hands will rapidly trend to 0 if you have a decent number of 3/4 cost stuff.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy