As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movie] Thread brought to you by Ang Lee in 120 FPS

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    As much as I loved JLU Jeffrey Combs (and it is a LOT), he is basically a different character from classic 80s Denny O'Neil Question and I would prefer the latter in a movie

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I always forget that he did both Scarecrow and The Question

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Gotham still did Riddler the best

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    crispin glover as old vic sage with natalie morales as renee montoya taking on the mantle

She's of Cuban descent, though

Renee's parents are Dominican

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    So, hire ScarJo, just to play it safe?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    crispin glover as old vic sage with natalie morales as renee montoya taking on the mantle

ah shit i didn't know that about montoya

but that means i can slot in my back-up:

judy reyes

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Gotham still did Riddler the best

It takes him a full season of prep but once he snaps, he's perfect.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options

ah shit i didn't know that about montoya

but that means i can slot in my back-up:

judy reyes

I actually think I like this even more

• Options
    Judy Reyes is a bit old for Montoya if she is just taking over as Question

But I also don't really know any other Dominican actresses off the top of my head

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    i mean there is zoe saldanha

but i don't really like her for the role

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Dascha Polanco?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    i'll be real -- i got like ten minutes into oitnb and noped out hard, so i dunno how good she is

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    she was decent in Russian Doll, but her part wasn't very big

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    What's wrong with Zoe Saldana?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

I'm not a big fan. She always seems kind of wooden in her roles. At least the ones I've seen.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    i'll be real -- i got like ten minutes into oitnb and noped out hard, so i dunno how good she is

That's fair I hate the show but Adrienne likes it

Shes good in it tho

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I enjoyed the 3 season of OITNB I watched but do not care to watch anymore.

• Options

i got no problem with her, but she just doesn't play tough believeably to me

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    The latest /last season of Orange is the New Black is well worth watching

• Options
    Could Rosario Dawson play Dominican? She does have Puerto Rican and Cuban ancestry, who have a lot in common with Dominicans

• Options
    Could Rosario Dawson play Dominican? She does have Puerto Rican and Cuban ancestry, who have a lot in common with Dominicans
    I think the idea is avoiding "playing" an ethnicity an actor is not, regardless of similarity between cultures

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

this is a pretty ignorant and offensive question my guy

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Yeah, I'm pretty ignorant a lot of the time.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    <.<

>.>

batman & robin is a better movie than batman forever

Absolutely not.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    got out of my first screening of Chicago's film festival, which was Portrait of a Lady on Fire

I went in basically completely blind, only really knowing that it's David Sims' favorite movie of the year and an 18th century lesbian romance

for the first hour it was well done but not really grabbing me

and then almost instantly into the second hour I was completely transfixed and it did not let go of me until the end, at which point it had a bold final shot that I knew was saying something but I couldn't quite figure it out

after which after mulling it over it finally clicked for me and oh my god that movie RULES and if you are able to see it you really gotta, I promise it does not feel like the homework that "French movie about a painter in an 18th century lesbian romance" might imply

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I saw a trailer for that a while back and was completely sucked in, can’t wait.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Okay, so

The issue with Latinos, Latinas, Latinx, Hispanics, hispanohablantes or whatever the fuck we are calling ourselves or are being called these days is that it’s not really an ethnicity. As the term “hispanohablantes” states pretty explicitly, it is kind of a catchalll for people who come from a variety of ethnic backgrounds that live in cultures that rely on Spanish as a public language (which may not necessarily be your native language!).

The demographics in the Dominican Republic (and this is not legitimate research, this is out-my-ass, culturally adjacent gut feeling, so dig deeper, and correct me, by all means!) tend to be more rooted specifically in Africa, although like most Caribbean nations the people native to that region are very often ethnically diverse, with African, European, and Caribbean Native ancestry.

I don’t have any idea what ethnicity Rene Montoya is supposed to be, and I think trying to make it up would but very dumb and not helpful. As a person of mixed ancestry, I personally would like to see a Caribbean Latina of mixed ancestry play the part. I think a native Dominican actress would be ideal, and not one that looks like me, ie, basically a white kid. Beyond that I don’t know enough about genetics, the character of Rene Montoya, or working actors in Hollywood to say much.

sarukun on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    tomorrow I'm seeing Parasite and I just continue to vibrate at a higher and higher frequency at the thought

eventually I won't be able to get to the theater because I will just phase through my car from excitement

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Saw Sully tonight. The flight scenes are done really well and I appreciate that they didn’t feel the need to over dramatize it. From takeoff to the end of the rescue it’s all fairly well exactly what happened, and that is interesting enough.

Where the movie falls to pieces is basically any time the ntsb is on screen. The adversarial trial like nature they force into an investigation that even at its most early stages was understood that the airport returns were never a sure thing and made functionally impossible with any sort of realistic decision time by the NTSB themselves just feels bad. Having this dramatic court scene where Sullenberger my cousin vinny’s the NTSB is just ridiculous. Kinda ruins half of the movie for me. Idk if it’s just Clint Eastwood government bad oozing all over the movie but it’s a bummer.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    best version of the riddler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkzRZxKw6GY

edit: also say what you will about Batman Forever's Riddler but he did have good taste in music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTv3XKiEfxs

This sent me down a Batman Forever Youtube hole which reminded me that the Riddler was a pretty fun villain, creepy and bizarre. I also appreciated one of the top comments that the Riddler's evil plan of collating bank details and white lies is basically Facebook's modern day business strategy.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    We have always been on MoviePass's Wild Ride and always will be

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Grabbed the Godzilla criterion collection, still on sale for preorder if anyone interested.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Cemetery Man (Dellamorte Dellamore) was last night's movie, first time in like 20 years and gosh, why did it take me so long to revisit it because it's so fun. For sure won't wait 20 more to watch it again.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I feel like I cancelled my MoviePass at the exact moment where it was just about to become onerous to use, so they didn't have people abandoning the service in droves yet and this didn't have to start doing shady shit with charging accounts after cancellation.

Basically the day they sent out the notice about black outs for certain movies, but before they had implemented anything, I cancelled immediately and it was evidently the perfect timing.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Also I got a 4K Fire TV Stick because they were $25 on Amazon for about five seconds, and holy shit this is so much faster than my original launch Fire TV Stick

• Options

Sam Raimi’s back y’all, the first movie he’ll direct since Oz in 2013

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Sam Raimi’s back y’all, the first movie he’ll direct since Oz in 2013
    Drag Me to Hell was fun as shit so sure I'll watch another modern Raimi horror thing

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I'll always root for Sam Raimi, even if I'm a big baby and will never watch a horror movie

This discussion has been closed.