As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Game Pass - 10 million subscribers and counting

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Yeah, the grunting was more amusing. Voiceover makes it less engaging to me, though it obviously appeals to more people that way.

I've really gotten back into Fallout Shelter again. Losing my first colony really irked me (had it going for years)... but I'm taken a liking to my third one. Though, if there were a way to have transferred the second one I started on IOS to my Play Anywhere version I'd have done so. But now I'm into a groove again, even has its own narrative now.

edit: the interface on console is kind of wonky, but on the tablet, I've accidentally levelled people way too many times and it's so annoying how imprecise the icons are, but other than that it's a fairly good port.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I originally played Fallout Shelter via Bluestacks Android emulation on my Surface Pro (quite the power drainer, especially on a first generation device with an i3), though I'm sure I tried it again when it came to the Windows Store, if only to farm for achievements. Not sure how much progress it made, but in either case, it was a short, quick period of "Hey, this is pretty darn neat! I can organize my levels this way, and do that, and name some people...." followed by a long period of self-loathing.

Now I just play Azur Lane. They need to bring that over to the Windows Store so I can watch my warship-waifus duke it out in near-UHD on my Surface Pro 7.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Question on game pass. If I go the PC route for Outer Worlds, I was looking into it. Do you have to download the app? Seems it has terrible reviews in the Microsoft store.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Question on game pass. If I go the PC route for Outer Worlds, I was looking into it. Do you have to download the app? Seems it has terrible reviews in the Microsoft store.

No--as noted previously, you can just find it in the Windows 10 store (same place as the Xbox app), and install it there, along with any game on PC Game Pass (just double check and make sure the Store is noting you have a Game Pass license on your account, especially if you don't sign into Windows 10 with said account).

Right now, the Xbox app (which is still in beta, to MS' credit), mostly seems to do...what? General information and updates, and act as an alternative if you really hate Windows 10's built-in store (which, honestly, can either work like crap, or really, really well, and everywhere in between)? It practically sounds like Microsoft listened to enough bitching about the Store and thought, "Oh, geeze, we better set up an alternative aside from using your browser to install stuff on PC." So they rebranded the original Xbox app into the "console companion" (you know, the one that lets you do console streaming, messaging, capture sharing and downloading, and a fuck-load of other things), introduced this new, much simpler, much more limited app, which basically does two things (install Windows 10 Xbox games), which the old app used to sort-of do (link directly to store pages).

Unless it was some genius four-dimensional-chess plan to make everyone decide they really liked the console companion app. I genuinely suspect 90% of the negative reviews for the Xbox app are from people saying "Yeah, this sucks compared to what is now the console companion app." I know that's what I'd say. It's not that bad, assuming it works, it just doesn't do anything you couldn't do through a website and using the store itself.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Yeah, having the characters just miming was super charming. It definitely lost that by voicing them.

IIRC, it turned it that the legos not talking was just confusing for kids, as they had no reason to think that legos wouldn't talk.

• Options
    Yeah, having the characters just miming was super charming. It definitely lost that by voicing them.

IIRC, it turned it that the legos not talking was just confusing for kids, as they had no reason to think that legos wouldn't talk.

Thanks, Lego Movie.

• Options
    edited October 2019

Thanks, Lego Movie.

They've been doing that since Lego Batman 2 in 2012.

EDIT: Just did the math; the time between Lego Batman 2 and now is longer than the time between the first Lego Star Wars and Lego Batman 2.

Legos have been talking longer than they haven't been.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

Thanks, Lego Movie.

EDIT: Just did the math; the time between Lego Batman 2 and now is longer than the time between the first Lego Star Wars and Lego Batman 2.

I wondered who would dissect the joke first.

• Options

Thanks, Lego Movie.

I wondered who would dissect the joke first.

Did you honestly have any doubt that it would be me?

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3nQYHdtw9w

A kind of weak offering for Xbox Live Games with Gold. Oh well. In retrospect, I really wish I'd organized a group to try out Friday the 13th.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Jedi Starfighter is Fine, and Final Station is pretty neat, at least.
    The Sherlock Holmes games are always janky and bad but also at least have some neat stories and some really out-there concepts and twists.

• Options
    I tried pretty hard to get through The Final Station after picking it up on sale. It's.....a game.

If I recall, Jedi Starfighter is basically the worse version of Rogue Squadron that you can play somewhere besides Nintendo, after they really turned the screws on exclusivity (the first title had a good PC port, Rogue Squadron 3D, but nothing after that).

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I already have The Final Station off a Mixer mixpot, I think.

I don't mind adding another Sherlock to the collection, and Jedi Starfighter to the weirdly expansive OG Xbox Star Wars BC collection (is Obi-Wan BC? I actually finished that!), but yeah, overall not a strong month.

Jazz on
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I can't remember the last time I played a games with gold game. I don't even redeem them anymore. There's just so much better stuff on Game Pass.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I finished 'Afterparty'. Whoa boy does that game need some patches. Lots of hitching and crashes.
    It might just be me but I had to come up with a work-around to even start the game (profile sign-in silently fails).

If you liked 'Oxenfree', and like Ashley Burch, it's definitely worth it, though. Even though it's on GP I bought it outright. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I can't remember the last time I played a games with gold game. I don't even redeem them anymore. There's just so much better stuff on Game Pass.

Yeah I use gamepass, so I totally forget about games with gold.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I finished 'Afterparty'. Whoa boy does that game need some patches. Lots of hitching and crashes.
    It might just be me but I had to come up with a work-around to even start the game (profile sign-in silently fails).

If you liked 'Oxenfree', and like Ashley Burch, it's definitely worth it, though. Even though it's on GP I bought it outright. :)

I played about an hour of it, and oh boy do I love how this game looks and feels. It feels like a huge step up from Oxenfree in production quality. Also notable voice actress Janine Ghavankar is the one of the main characters, and overall the voice acting is top notch stuff.

Performance is spotty for sure already though. One screen transition was worse than a slide show, and the dialogue kinda cuts off a split second early sometimes, or something weird is going on sometimes that I can't quite put my finger on with the audio.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I tried pretty hard to get through The Final Station after picking it up on sale. It's.....a game.

If I recall, Jedi Starfighter is basically the worse version of Rogue Squadron that you can play somewhere besides Nintendo, after they really turned the screws on exclusivity (the first title had a good PC port, Rogue Squadron 3D, but nothing after that).

I liked Jedi Starfighter a lot. I thought the co-op was much better integrated than whichever Rogue Squadron game had it, and it was neat that the ships were quite different. I'd really like it to come to Steam, and give it a try with Remote Play Together.

I did think the previous game, regular non-Jedi Starfighter, was pretty weak.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3nQYHdtw9w

A kind of weak offering for Xbox Live Games with Gold. Oh well. In retrospect, I really wish I'd organized a group to try out Friday the 13th.

Friday the 13th is good fun with friends

• Options
    edited October 2019

I mean, most stuff on Game Pass is extremely forgettable. More so than Games with Gold, I'd argue, but maybe this is just betraying my taste in games.

I had heard about this...for some reason I didn't think it was coming to Xbox One. Neat, thanks for sharing.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Weird Xbox question.

Say I'm playing Monster Hunter with an online buddy. We are in party chat. I have my headset on and everything works great.
    My son sits next to me on the couch and wants to talk to his "uncle" while I play. I have an additional headset, controller, and I already set up a child account for him. Is there any way for me to add him to this chat so he can talk with us even if he isn't playing the game?

We tried briefly the other day and ended up giving up on it.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Ken O wrote: »
    Weird Xbox question.

Say I'm playing Monster Hunter with an online buddy. We are in party chat. I have my headset on and everything works great.
    My son sits next to me on the couch and wants to talk to his "uncle" while I play. I have an additional headset, controller, and I already set up a child account for him. Is there any way for me to add him to this chat so he can talk with us even if he isn't playing the game?

He's signed on in the console in his own account, right? You made sure to invite him into Party chat (since he couldn't participate in the in-game chat within Monster Hunter) and everyone was switched to that?

• Options
    Him and I are on the same Xbox. I signed his profile in on the second controller, but I was unable to send him a party invite.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Him and I are on the same Xbox. I signed his profile in on the second controller, but I was unable to send him a party invite.

I think Party support might only work for Xbox Live-compatible accounts (in other words, yours) and your guests. I don't think child or offline accounts (which child accounts might be like--I've never used one) will necessarily work. That would explain why you couldn't invite him.

• Options
    Weird Xbox question.

As Monster Hunter doesn't support local co-op, it wouldn't be possible for him to join a party for the game from the same console... only one can be active during play? If he signed onto like, another windows device and was added to the party, it probably could have worked?

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2019

I mean, most stuff on Game Pass is extremely forgettable. More so than Games with Gold, I'd argue, but maybe this is just betraying my taste in games.

I'm sure this is hyperbole since I don't think you'd call DMC 5, Halo, Dead Cells, Metal Slug, and a ton of other games Forgettable. Shoot, a lot of games you've straight up praised are on there.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'll play around with some of the child settings and stuff like that this weekend.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Nitsua wrote: »

I'm sure this is hyperbole since I don't think you'd call DMC 5, Halo, Dead Cells, Metal Slug, and a ton of other games Forgettable. Shoot, a lot of games you've straight up praised are on there.

I repeat: "most stuff on Game Pass is extremely forgettable".

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Weird Xbox question.

As Monster Hunter doesn't support local co-op, it wouldn't be possible for him to join a party for the game from the same console... only one can be active during play? If he signed onto like, another windows device and was added to the party, it probably could have worked?

Different kind of party. My understanding of the situation was that the intent was to join Party Voice chat (game agnostic) and not the Monster Hunter party.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Weird Xbox question.

Different kind of party. My understanding of the situation was that the intent was to join Party Voice chat (game agnostic) and not the Monster Hunter party.

Yeah, I suspect Child Accounts might be similar to Offline Accounts in that they have certain features disabled, including Party accessibility?

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Weird Xbox question.

Controllers and accounts can only be logged into one thing on the same console. Two people cannot log into a single player game at the same time.

edit: Parental access is a different thing with relation to this problem.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Weird Xbox question.

Yeah, I suspect Child Accounts might be similar to Offline Accounts in that they have certain features disabled, including Party accessibility?

That sounds like that'd be something prominently displayed as a 'feature' of a child account. I mean, heaven forbid if a child gets into my voice chat channel...they're gonna be learning some new words (including several that aren't actual real words).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I am so annoyed that you can't get the stupid barbershop in Fallout Shelter until you get 50+ dwellers. While others on the reddit seem to battle with the ethics of free lunchboxes or scumming lunchboxes via the save editor, I just want to put makeup on my imaginary followers many hours sooner. Also debating adjusting the HP they have to actually retro endurance because it's so dumb that it doesn't do that for base endurance*. but eh... neither of these impacts achievements or their monetization, so... I'm leaning toward fair game.

Despite playing for many hours, the level of my dwellers has been stagnant as I tried to avoid level ups until I got the stupid endurance training facility at 35 dwellers...

Which segues into the part of the post I forgot to add: Frost Punk has anybody played it? Debating buying it to play next on Win10. Really wish more of these titles were play anywhere.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I played a bit of Frost Punk on PC and it seems good? I couldn't really say more than that as it turns out I suck at modern RTS games.
    I think everyone in my tribe died of Gangrene, Scurvy and Hypothermia (in a combined 'omni-fuck-you' from the Grim Reaper), and that was in what turned out to be the tutorial level. :bigfrown:

It's very well made though, presentation is top notch and if you are patient enough for FO:S this chugs along at about the same pace game-play wise. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    I played a bit of Frost Punk on PC and it seems good? I couldn't really say more than that as it turns out I suck at modern RTS games.
    I think everyone in my tribe died of Gangrene, Scurvy and Hypothermia (in a combined 'omni-fuck-you' from the Grim Reaper), and that was in what turned out to be the tutorial level. :bigfrown:

It's very well made though, presentation is top notch and if you are patient enough for FO:S this chugs along at about the same pace game-play wise. :)

Well, you were doing something right if they survived their gangrene long enough to develop scurvy and ultimately freeze to death... or you were just an evil overseer, lol.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Dead By Daylight is on PC Game Pass now, hooray!

Oh, it doesn't have crossplay with the Steam version for a few more weeks. Aw man.

• Options
    I mentioned it previously, but here's a bit more about the next Xbox Access program that's going to go in effect with an upgrade path to Project Scarlett when it's, you know, officially announced.
    Which segues into the part of the post I forgot to add: Frost Punk has anybody played it? Debating buying it to play next on Win10. Really wish more of these titles were play anywhere.

I played Frost Punk on PC, though not on console. A very immersing disaster-based city building game, but quite hard (at least for me--I made the mistake of treating it like a conventional city building game I think). I'd definitely try it again on game pass, though I'm not sure how well it works on console.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'll play around with some of the child settings and stuff like that this weekend.

Long shot, but do you have Kinect? I remember being told a while back that was the only way to have multiple people able to be heard while streaming together from one machine, as individual controller/mic setups wouldn't work.

Maybe this is similar?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

Long shot, but do you have Kinect? I remember being told a while back that was the only way to have multiple people able to be heard while streaming together from one machine, as individual controller/mic setups wouldn't work.

Maybe this is similar?

My kinect gave up the ghost about a year ago. I think I'll just have him sign into my phone or pc and let him do it that way. He doesn't want to play Monster Hunter with us, but he wants to talk about the game as we're playing. He'll grab my headset and tell my old roommate stuff about the monster we're about to fight, what kind of gear to grab, etc... We'll have to figure something else out to get all 3 of us playing together when Minecraft Dungeons comes out. My son is dying to play that one.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I probably missed any Mixer talk but I tried streaming from my Xbox for a while last night and it's dead easy and the VOD looks great. If you've ever thought about streaming, even just to record yourself for your own reference later, it's worth trying.