[Xbox] Game Pass - 10 million subscribers and counting

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    well MS have still been making sure to dominate headlines with a steady stream of info and news while Sony have been pretty tight lipped. its really all down to when Sony does their reveal at this point. it was a safe bet that they wouldn't have it clash with E3 if they weren't attending, but now that its been cancelled it opens up an opportunity for Sony to try and counter MS. will just need to wait and see that they both end up doing.

Sony has a mixed history with surprise reveals--both highly successful and train-wrecks over the years. Hell, you can compare the extremely successful Playstation 4 reveal to the "Yeah, we already knew what this thing looked like even when you claimed it didn't exist, and we're still surprised by how loud it is," Playstation 4 Pro reveal. The big difference is that Sony has gotten much, much better at controlling leaks, at least lately (though admittedly aren't 100% successful). So if they want to surprise, this is as good a chance as any.

BitSummit, Japan's "leading Indie game expo", was also canceled. You can bet money that after they pulled out of E3, Sony had every intention to go all-in on TGS 2020 in September--it would be the perfect venue to dominate, especially since Microsoft would be obligated to have some sort of presence there (unless they did the whole, "We don't think this worth our time and energy blah blah..." thing, which I guess they could).

If this continues, TGS 2020 will be next up on the cancellation block (and frankly, Japan is in a far more serious position than the US West Coast). Sony must be praying that doesn't happen, considering what a fixture they've been at TGS.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    well MS have still been making sure to dominate headlines with a steady stream of info and news while Sony have been pretty tight lipped. its really all down to when Sony does their reveal at this point. it was a safe bet that they wouldn't have it clash with E3 if they weren't attending, but now that its been cancelled it opens up an opportunity for Sony to try and counter MS. will just need to wait and see that they both end up doing.

Sony has a mixed history with surprise reveals--both highly successful and train-wrecks over the years. Hell, you can compare the extremely successful Playstation 4 reveal to the "Yeah, we already knew what this thing looked like even when you claimed it didn't exist, and we're still surprised by how loud it is," Playstation 4 Pro reveal. The big difference is that Sony has gotten much, much better at controlling leaks, at least lately (though admittedly aren't 100% successful). So if they want to surprise, this is as good a chance as any.

BitSummit, Japan's "leading Indie game expo", was also canceled. You can bet money that after they pulled out of E3, Sony had every intention to go all-in on TGS 2020 in September--it would be the perfect venue to dominate, especially since Microsoft would be obligated to have some sort of presence there (unless they did the whole, "We don't think this worth our time and energy blah blah..." thing, which I guess they could).

If this continues, TGS 2020 will be next up on the cancellation block (and frankly, Japan is in a far more serious position than the US West Coast). Sony must be praying that doesn't happen, considering what a fixture they've been at TGS.

If stuff as far out as September starts getting canceled, we'll all have much, much larger concerns. Shit will have to go VERY bad to get that point.

edited March 2020

If stuff as far out as September starts getting canceled, we'll all have much, much larger concerns. Shit will have to go VERY bad to get that point.

If TGS happened in July, it would've already been canceled already, with near-certainty. It's somewhat premature to announce the cancellations a half-year in advance, as you noted. So if things are substantially worse, of course it will be canceled. But even if we're already still in the decline state as we saw with SARS in the second half of 2003, and with a clearly winding down...TGS would probably still be canceled because of how obviously more at risk Japan is than any part of the United States. It'll just be canceled in a few months.

Honestly, the more I read about it, the more likely it sounds that TGS 2020 is going to be canceled by the end of spring, or at best reduced in scope. Sony may already be planning their contingency accordingly.

I feel bad describing it in such blase terms. As I mentioned, I was in Taiwan for the 2002/2003 SARS outbreak, with the most numerous cases outside of China (and a much higher mortality rate, but that is reflected in much lower numbers). This is obviously more serious, but I sort of feel like I've already been through it before personally.

Synthesis on
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

i expect we'll get something from Sony before September. they just confirmed the PC release of Horizon: Zero Dawn for a 'Summer' release and i'd be surprised if we don't get a firm date alongside a sequel announcement which would likely be shown off as the big launch exclusive.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Finished the two Batman season . They were fun if not traditional Batman . I can appreciate that they were trying to do new takes on some characters even if I didn’t like some of the choices. It also reminded me that I never played the last season of the walking dead. I should get on that , poor clementine i don’t really have any hope that she will get anything other then a sad ending .

I need to finish the last season of TWD too. I honestly really like teen Clementine, even if the first two episodes were kind of...off.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Ugh. I'm running out of degrees for exposure risk.

If TGS happened in July, it would've already been canceled already, with near-certainty. It's somewhat premature to announce the cancellations a half-year in advance, as you noted. So if things are substantially worse, of course it will be canceled. But even if we're already still in the decline state as we saw with SARS in the second half of 2003, and with a clearly winding down...TGS would probably still be canceled because of how obviously more at risk Japan is than any part of the United States. It'll just be canceled in a few months.

Honestly, the more I read about it, the more likely it sounds that TGS 2020 is going to be canceled by the end of spring, or at best reduced in scope. Sony may already be planning their contingency accordingly.

I feel bad describing it in such blase terms. As I mentioned, I was in Taiwan for the 2002/2003 SARS outbreak, with the most numerous cases outside of China (and a much higher mortality rate, but that is reflected in much lower numbers). This is obviously more serious, but I sort of feel like I've already been through it before personally.

Uh. We're not in the decline state in the US by any means. That's in China.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    Ugh. I'm running out of degrees for exposure risk.

Uh. We're not in the decline state in the US by any means. That's in China.

And I didn't say that we were? It was purely as speculative if, and a skeptical one that, as applied to Japan and the world more generally.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    At the stroke of midnight last night, I fired up the new Ori. While I haven't gotten far, I'm enjoying the enhancements/changes they've made so it isn't just the same old game. The only thing I can gripe about right now is the near 15 minutes of intro it took before actually getting into the game. Maybe I've just become jaded, but I didn't really give a damn about the attempted heart wrenching it did in the beginning. Just give me my magical sentient ghost/spirit squirrel and let me beat shit up. Still a lot of fun, though I wish I could skip through the cut scenes, because I've completely lost interest in the "story" with that intro.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    At the stroke of midnight last night, I fired up the new Ori. While I haven't gotten far, I'm enjoying the enhancements/changes they've made so it isn't just the same old game. The only thing I can gripe about right now is the near 15 minutes of intro it took before actually getting into the game. Maybe I've just become jaded, but I didn't really give a damn about the attempted heart wrenching it did in the beginning. Just give me my magical sentient ghost/spirit squirrel and let me beat shit up. Still a lot of fun, though I wish I could skip through the cut scenes, because I've completely lost interest in the "story" with that intro.

I couldn't disagree more about that intro. I watched it twice, and I look forward to watching it a third time when I show it to my wife and kids tonight. I thought it was a remarkable work of art at that would be at home among some of Pixar's best shorts.

I played some myself, and didn't think the intro was too long at all--but that might just be subterfuge by allowing you to control Ori almost immediately for small segments.

Mind you, I never played the original Ori for more than a few minutes because I really don't like platformers anymore. I guess I should give the first game another try before quitting in frustration again.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Skippable cutscenes should have become a mandatory inclusion during the early 2000’s.

edited March 2020
    Good news, Preacher - if the whining in the global chat from the PKers that kept telling people to "suck it up" are any indication, the adjustments they made to punish their PVE activity for PKing are super effective. Their system actually works.

edit: so much salt. so... so much salt.

"I can't even kill one fing person now"
    -PKer that can kill one fing person, they just have to pay for the crime.

"How many times are the guards going to kill me before my notoriety actually goes down? it's been over 30 minutes and gone from 68% to 65%. I can't turn in any of my story missions."
    - Another PKer

edit2:

"I killed 115 people today, if math is right, i cant use upgrade or do prestige quest for 3 days? Lol, sounds legit"
    - Yet another PKer, who also yelled at the GM he paid $400 to not be able to do stuff.

tastydonuts on
    So gotten a bit into the final walking dead season and all I know is I’m going to kill that bitch. I’m going to kill that bitch so fucking hard the walkers will think I went too far.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Any Xboners still interested in Phantasy Star Online 2, Open Beta goes live on Tuesday. If you still have it installed from the closed beta you'll just have to download a patch and be good to go.

While no official live date has been released, all signs point to a fairly short gap between Open beta and actual launch, get your MAGs fed and ready for war.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Ori and the Will of the Wisps is practically a low-key 2D character action game at this point, the combat system is a million times more dense as fuck

The art is even more gorgeous and I love the intro - but that said, the stakes aren't especially high or urgent up-front compared to the beginning of the first game, which ends with the protagonist and their surrogate mother fucking dying

Also holy fuck. Gareth Coker calm the fuck down. holy piss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGZcGFXVzXk

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, considering the sheer spectacle Microsoft has put into their E3 events at the Microsoft Theater--I bet their bummed they can't use their own venue, but no way they throw all that work away. Not when they've arguably dominated the last two E3s.

Is there any reason they couldn't, if they still wanted to?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, considering the sheer spectacle Microsoft has put into their E3 events at the Microsoft Theater--I bet their bummed they can't use their own venue, but no way they throw all that work away. Not when they've arguably dominated the last two E3s.

They totally could, though there's not much of a compelling reason to do that over an online presentation.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293

Well, it'd be seen as very crass and cavalier, considering E3's formal reason for cancelling this year. Microsoft can have their own event, just like they did with X019 fanfest in Mexico City, but concerns about contagion are probably going to squash anything new.

This is going to be a serious consideration for months now. Hence why I'm thinking more and more TGS 2020 is going to get axed, unfortunately.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

Well, it'd be seen as very crass and cavalier, considering E3's formal reason for cancelling this year. Microsoft can have their own event, just like they did with X019 fanfest in Mexico City, but concerns about contagion are probably going to squash anything new.

This is going to be a serious consideration for months now. Hence why I'm thinking more and more TGS 2020 is going to get axed, unfortunately.

technically that's what MS have been doing the last few years. they don't actually have any official presence at E3. they only hold their event at the same time because they know the games press will be there. same with EA. honestly its probably part of reason why E3 has been a slow bleed rather than a rapid decline. MS and EA still technically being there keeps relevance up, but them not paying for space on the show floor makes it a more precarious prospect for the ESA.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Microsoft was still a part of E3, they just had most of their stuff across the street in their own building. You still needed an E3 badge to get in.

Microsoft was still a part of E3, they just had most of their stuff across the street in their own building. You still needed an E3 badge to get in.

Yeah, the whole Microsoft Theater was a major venue of E3, even if they managed it instead.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Hey guys, random question: if I bought an Xbox One and wanted to play Left 4 Dead 2 with my friend who has a 360, will that work? From what I can find online, it sounds like it will. But I wanted to make sure before buying it. My wife is recovering from surgery and dying to play L4D2 again, but my friend who we played with has my 360 at the moment (I leave it at his place for Rock Band at parties, since I never played it otherwise).

Fawst wrote: »
    Hey guys, random question: if I bought an Xbox One and wanted to play Left 4 Dead 2 with my friend who has a 360, will that work? From what I can find online, it sounds like it will. But I wanted to make sure before buying it. My wife is recovering from surgery and dying to play L4D2 again, but my friend who we played with has my 360 at the moment (I leave it at his place for Rock Band at parties, since I never played it otherwise).

If L4D2's servers are still operating, yes, it will--I have no idea, I haven't played it in literal years.

On the local side, booting L4D2 on an Xbox One opens up a complete Xbox 360 guide interface, complete with the old friends list, etc., that would match what you'd see on the Xbox 360. The MM and so forth should all work across both platforms.

As far as I know, no Xbox 360 games that were added to BC only work on Xbox One. There's no protocols that would segregate between the platforms. To your friends on Xbox 360, I'm pretty certain it looks like you're on an Xbox 360, except you've got a weird player icon that doesn't show up properly.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    That ... is fantastic. Thanks!

Fawst wrote: »
    That ... is fantastic. Thanks!

Let us know if it works.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I've played L4D2 with no issues on my Xbox One and Xbox One X. (Grab the DLC that adds all the campaigns from L4D1, plus the extras.) It's such a goddamn fantastic game.

Also thematically appropriate for this time in history. :+1:

Fridge thought: the "everything's fine" person needs to draw a comic where fire is replaced with giant viral cells.

edited March 2020
    Or he could make one making fun of the basketball player who kept touching things saying he wasn’t afraid and people were stupid and then tested positive a few hours later, got his teammate sick too .

EspantaPajaro on
    Yeah, our ability to handle this is so bad. But I whined about that before. We were done from the first "but it's old people that are at risk."

Somebody just asked me to help with something for 'contingency plans' and I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Finished the final walking dead season . Kinda sad now . Both for the story and telltales fate.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I’m playing ori and in the opening there’s several areas where the frame rate is really bad, I can’t tell if it’s intentional or not but it’s very distracting. I’m on Xbox one x and all updated

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I've been playing on the original Black Box and I've been getting 10-20 second freezes, mainly in open exploration areas (and not the combat/trial sequences themselves which is baffling)

It's a real bummer but I'm chalking that down to my old-ass hardware

edited March 2020
    Ok yeah there’s a lot of frame rate slow down so far, and it’s making some of the platforming super difficult. I have the patch so it’s concerning that it still isn’t smoother. Kind of bad for this to be happening on Xbox one x for a game designed for it.

I might leave it for a bit and come back in case they patch it more. It’s very distracting, it’s just like randomly slow motion 30% of the time

Edit: yeah I’m putting this away until this issue is fixed. It’s giving me a headache combined with the motion blur having the frame rate chug to like 10 or 20 during jumping puzzles makes it unplayable. Very frustrating

Prohass on
    Of note is that the original game was 100% hard-locked to 30 FPS on all platforms (it was a stable 30 without almost any performance dips though), while this one ups the visuals while shooting for 60.

Mayhaps a 30FPS option could offer a more stable option imo

edited March 2020
    It could be it going from 60 to 30 but honestly it feels worse than that, and it’s not occasional like random chugs, it sort of hits a moment and will chug for a solid 5 or 10 seconds then clear up. It feels less like the game naturally scaling and more like a bug. Either way I wasn’t enjoying tolerating it so I’m taking a break and hoping they improve it. Luckily I have lots of other games to play and doom eternal next week, but I hope they improve it soon

Prohass on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

It occurs to me that maybe the perception is that I'm suggesting holding the event as they normally would, but I was thinking more along the lines of if they've already sunk that much into the livestream presentation, why not just go ahead and shoot it there with no audience?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!

It occurs to me that maybe the perception is that I'm suggesting holding the event as they normally would, but I was thinking more along the lines of if they've already sunk that much into the livestream presentation, why not just go ahead and shoot it there with no audience?

Well, the actual event is very clearly intended to done at the Microsoft Theater in front of a massive audience. Microsoft owns the venue, but not the audience, and even keeping the former you'd have to change it to account for the later. For example, the invited guest talent.

But I think you're right, in that they might try and re-use as much of it as possible (maybe even some of the invited guests). They'll probably just do it on a much smaller sound stage.

Just bulldozed my way through half the Halo CE campaign last night. Storytelling and combat is remarkably satisfying just as I remembered, but boy were people right in that the level design fluctuates wildly. The Silent Cartographer is a classic level, open ended and delightful in its labyrinthine space, but then the followup after that is a painful series of clunky vehicle sections and the same arena rooms, suspension bridges and elevators repeated verbatim almost literally five fucking times apiece

edited March 2020
    Just bulldozed my way through half the Halo CE campaign last night. Storytelling and combat is remarkably satisfying just as I remembered, but boy were people right in that the level design fluctuates wildly. The Silent Cartographer is a classic level, open ended and delightful in its labyrinthine space, but then the followup after that is a painful series of clunky vehicle sections and the same arena rooms, suspension bridges and elevators repeated verbatim almost literally five fucking times apiece

It's probably more of being a product of its time, but the last few times I've replayed CE I've found its character cast kind of weak compared to....pretty much any other game in the franchise.

It doesn't mean it's not a very strong game overall, but aside from Cortana (who's a bit rough around the edges too), and Sarge's comedy value, there isn't much to it on that front. The story arc itself is dead simple, though I know some people would view that as praise. I enjoy 2's story more personally.

The Silent Cartographer is still pretty great, with the exception of a few indoor moments. The issue of level gameplay repetition was a common one at the time (I think Half-Life 2 runs into it as well after you get the HEV suit and complete the boat sections).

Synthesis on