Options

[Xbox] Game Pass - 10 million subscribers and counting

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Just started playing Ori. What a gorgeous game. I didn't play Blind Forest for some unknown reason, but now I almost want to put Will of the Wisps down and go Blind Forest before I get too spoiled with all the new toys and graphics and such.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Just started playing Ori. What a gorgeous game. I didn't play Blind Forest for some unknown reason, but now I almost want to put Will of the Wisps down and go Blind Forest before I get too spoiled with all the new toys and graphics and such.

What system are you playing it on? I keep getting awful frame rate chugs which make the platforming really difficult and turn the game to slow motion. It’s concerning for me that either nobody else has this happening or it is happening for everyone else and nobody else notices it

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »

What system are you playing it on? I keep getting awful frame rate chugs which make the platforming really difficult and turn the game to slow motion. It’s concerning for me that either nobody else has this happening or it is happening for everyone else and nobody else notices it

PC, but I started on XBox One X earlier today and it wasn't that kind of choppy. Are you on an older XBox One maybe? Like an S or OG? The Digital Foundry review said that early XBox One's chug super bad.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

The first significant cutscene in Will of the Wisps is a ginormous spoiler anyway since it literally picks up instantly after the ending of the first game
    But that said I'd probably recommend getting around to Ori and the Blind Forest sooner rather than later as I think if you really get into Will of the Wisps' systems you're probably going to find Blind Forest a little comparatively barebones (though I think the story is rewarding in its own right!)

That said I personally appreciate Blind Forest's relative simplicity and elegance as the vast majority of its challenge is simply in skill-based platforming/exploration. Will of the Wisps has that too but the depth of the combat is expanded by several orders of magnitude to the point where it has combat-oriented boss battles. In Blind Forest the only "boss battles" that exist are platforming sequences that act as a specific challenge for your movement abilities that you've accumulated over the previous areas directly prior. They're a treat in their own right though - the entire Ginso Tree sequence still stands out to me as a masterclass in videogames about teaching a player to mechanical mastery and providing satisfying buildup and payoff with pacing and tone.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'm a little worried about WotW's seeming shift to more standard conventions, such as with attacks, that might take something away from the uniqueness the original possessed.

On the other hand, my wife wasn't fond of the original's gameplay, but she's loving the sequel, so...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

The first significant cutscene in Will of the Wisps is a ginormous spoiler anyway since it literally picks up instantly after the ending of the first game
    But that said I'd probably recommend getting around to Ori and the Blind Forest sooner rather than later as I think if you really get into Will of the Wisps' systems you're probably going to find Blind Forest a little comparatively barebones (though I think the story is rewarding in its own right!)

That said I personally appreciate Blind Forest's relative simplicity and elegance as the vast majority of its challenge is simply in skill-based platforming/exploration. Will of the Wisps has that too but the depth of the combat is expanded by several orders of magnitude to the point where it has combat-oriented boss battles. In Blind Forest the only "boss battles" that exist are platforming sequences that act as a specific challenge for your movement abilities that you've accumulated over the previous areas directly prior. They're a treat in their own right though - the entire Ginso Tree sequence still stands out to me as a masterclass in videogames about teaching a player to mechanical mastery and providing satisfying buildup and payoff with pacing and tone.

I already started Blind Forest and stopped progress in Will of the Wisps. Not so worried about the story spoilers.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I'm a little worried about WotW's seeming shift to more standard conventions, such as with attacks, that might take something away from the uniqueness the original possessed.

On the other hand, my wife wasn't fond of the original's gameplay, but she's loving the sequel, so...

I suspect we're going to see a similar approach to the sequel to Hellblade, as they move towards seemingly a much larger game.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    re: Ori, lmao I guessed the music puzzle on the first try
    My musically-minded ass picked up that to the right of the room there was a spirit tree behind a locked door, and the notes of the bells are a close match for the little musical cue that plays whenever Ori unlocks a skill - so instead of reading "stone notation" like the NPC hinted about afterwards I matched the note sequences and played the keys again from right to left lol

I kept trying to follow the background music but couldn't catch any hint in the track though. Some real good Rayman type shit haha

• Options
    s0qtrtt2noeu.jpg

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Anyone else not able to connect to live?

• Options

I am. I heard there was an outage a couple days ago that I missed, however.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

I just got knocked out of COD and couldn't connect back to live after I restarted I took it as a sign from the gods "take a break."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Yeah, just fired my box up and can't sign in.

Had to go to Go Offline in Settings to even get my profile signed in.

https://downdetector.co.uk/status/xbox-live/

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    So I decided to take a chance on bleeding edge , it’s really fun ! I’ve heard people say it’s similar to Monday night combat and gigantic ( I haven’t played those) so if those float your boat look into it . The beta ends tomorrow but the game comes out soon , one disclaimer this game is NOT a shooter , it’s a third person moba if you wanted an actual first or third person shooter unfortunately this isn’t it.

Edit - since it’s a beta and we are all bad choosing a healer and helping seems to almost guarantee a win. Personal favorite is kusev.

And since I know that finding someone you think is cool is make or break for some people

https://www.bleedingedge.com/en/fighters

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I finished Ori last night via PC gamepass and didn't get the ending-related achievement(s) so they might be busted at the moment if anyone cares about that.

Really good game though and easily easily easily worth the $5 for gamepass to try.

• Options
    So I finally reached the owl graveyard as was advertised in the trailers and I guess I should have expected this tonal whiplash given what they pulled in the first game, but that area and its sidequests are even more horrifically tragic than I thought it'd be

Never thought "that caustic salt lake from Tanzania that calcifies animals into stone" could be an aesthetic but here we are I guess

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Any idea what's up with XBL recently? It's had friends list and party chat issues both Thursday and today.

• Options
    I'm still connected. I just switched back from my Xbox 360 going through the aggravation of unlocking costumes in Dead or Alive 2.

So, if there are outages, they're localized.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    XBL started going down at 3pm EST looks like, I can't even sign in on my PC. Sounds like service is all over the place right now according to The Verge.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    Any idea what's up with XBL recently? It's had friends list and party chat issues both Thursday and today.

Steam was having record logins. Probably similar issues with XBL.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So I finally reached the owl graveyard as was advertised in the trailers and I guess I should have expected this tonal whiplash given what they pulled in the first game, but that area and its sidequests are even more horrifically tragic than I thought it'd be

Never thought "that caustic salt lake from Tanzania that calcifies animals into stone" could be an aesthetic but here we are I guess

Oh you ain't seen nothin yet.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Yeah, just fired my box up and can't sign in.

Had to go to Go Offline in Settings to even get my profile signed in.

https://downdetector.co.uk/status/xbox-live/

Nothing makes more sense than to struggle with the profile sign-in whilst offline.

• Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    XBL started going down at 3pm EST looks like, I can't even sign in on my PC. Sounds like service is all over the place right now according to The Verge.

Still signed in for me (permanently signed in on my PC, so I checked my console again after the Westworld premiere).

Maybe everyone I've ever worked for is wrong, and I am special!

On the other hand, a decent number of people are signed onto my friends list. The Status website isn't reporting anything.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    The official status site wouldn't even load for me when I couldn't get on last night. Everything else in my browser and on Steam was fine.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I hope Xbox Live will be ready to go when the PSO2 open beta starts on Tuesday.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Utterly Bizarre that Microsoft is letting DF premiere all these Series X details but here you go.

https://youtu.be/4cmclCjS5jg

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Base storage seems too small with the way game installs are going.

If you'd rather read coverage: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-inside-xbox-series-x-full-specs

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

That's got to be a cost-saving measure. SSD's too important to leave out (since it'll provide the strongest improvements most normal humans will notice), but it's still relatively pricey.

Though it's likely the amount of storage will go up over the years.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I just bought a 2TB Seagate Game Drive last month and it's been a revelation for my Xbox One experience. I'm going to migrate it to the Series X if I decide to pull the trigger on one this holiday season.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Utterly Bizarre that Microsoft is letting DF premiere all these Series X details but here you go.

https://youtu.be/4cmclCjS5jg

its not that bizarre, they did the same thing with the One X so its not a huge surprise that they've gone the same route again.

and there this video too,

https://youtu.be/qcY4nRHapmE

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I just bought a 2TB Seagate Game Drive last month and it's been a revelation for my Xbox One experience. I'm going to migrate it to the Series X if I decide to pull the trigger on one this holiday season.

You aren't playing Series X games on that because the interface is too slow. They showed off their external SSD solution in the video and it is indeed that very long unknown port seen on the back in previous photos. Not clear if they might let you play XB1 versions of games via external USB, but there's zero hint of that in the video.

Edit: what's even better is that only a 1TB expansion is announced for now. So enjoy a whopping 2TB max for your Series X.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    its not that bizarre, they did the same thing with the One X so its not a huge surprise that they've gone the same route again.

XB1X is purely for geeks. I mean so are the Series X specs, but this is also our first look at console raytracing in the incredibly obvious form of Minecraft, multi-game quick resume, loading time in XB1 games, and the shape of the external SSD drive. Things that customers besides DF nerds can actually notice. These are great selling points that I wouldn't bury in a half-hour long technobabble treatise that the majority of their consumers do not in fact have the patience for.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2020

XB1X is purely for geeks. I mean so are the Series X specs, but this is also our first look at console raytracing in the incredibly obvious form of Minecraft, multi-game quick resume, loading time in XB1 games, and the shape of the external SSD drive. Things that customers besides DF nerds can actually notice. These are great selling points that I wouldn't bury in a half-hour long technobabble treatise that the majority of their consumers do not in fact have the patience for.

Yeah, because the "average" consumer totally cares about raytracing solutions. Sure. A technical treatise is Microsoft's way of getting publicity via Digital Foundry because they already talked about "ray tracing, multi-game quick resumes"--things that "normal" customers care about, apparently. They've been talking about it for months. They talked about it at the VGA and everywhere else.

Also, no, the Xbox One X was for anyone who was willing to pay a premium for an Xbox One console. Not "only geeks". Lots of geeks couldn't afford it, and conversely, lots of people who aren't geeks don't see a $500-at-launch (or $400 later) console as a huge expense compared to a $1000 smart phone.
    cloudeagle wrote: »

That's got to be a cost-saving measure. SSD's too important to leave out (since it'll provide the strongest improvements most normal humans will notice), but it's still relatively pricey.

Like in tank design, it's a fundamental matter of compromise: cost, capability, size. Users have complained about loading times long enough that Microsoft (and Sony, by the looks of it) have settled on two of the three: performance and cost. It's going to be more expensive storage than the previous standard (5400 RPM mechanical drives) no matter what. And if you want a lot of fast storage, you could easily double the price of the console (just look at high-performance Nvme prices).

Those people who were saying: "4 TB storage, minimum!" Sorry, thems the breaks. You want 3 more terabytes of storage? Wait till expandable storage reaches your budget point. You'll probably be happier than being forced to pay a substantial price hike, and if you're not, lots of other people will be.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    and while DF handled the technical breakdown, the official Xbox Youtube channel has a simpler, more direct look at a couple of the features the Seies X will deliver.

Reduced loading times:

https://youtu.be/0eBaPS3uj-A

Quick Resume:

https://youtu.be/S82YvCtwfHY

• Options
    edited March 2020
    That being said, none of that matters because...

c2taf9huv6wl.png

The battery in the controller is removable! Praise be to Yahweh!

It actually looks exactly like the battery compartment on the current controllers (accounting for the controller being slightly smaller), so it'll probably support AA batteries as well.

EDIT: Thanks @Wraith260 to the OP they go.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    there's also a number of articles of on Xbox Wire going over the specs, explaining tech terms, looking at the new controller and discussing latency.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Yeah, because the "average" consumer totally cares about raytracing solutions. Sure. A technical treatise is Microsoft's way of getting publicity via Digital Foundry because they already talked about "ray tracing, multi-game quick resumes"--things that "normal" customers care about, apparently. They've been talking about it for months. They talked about it at the VGA and everywhere else.

Also, no, the Xbox One X was for anyone who was willing to pay a premium for an Xbox One console. Not "only geeks". Lots of geeks couldn't afford it, and conversely, lots of people who aren't geeks don't see a $500-at-launch (or $400 later) console as a huge expense compared to a $1000 smart phone.

Like in tank design, it's a fundamental matter of compromise: cost, capability, size. Users have complained about loading times long enough that Microsoft (and Sony, by the looks of it) have settled on two of the three: performance and cost. It's going to be more expensive storage than the previous standard (5400 RPM mechanical drives) no matter what. And if you want a lot of fast storage, you could easily double the price of the console (just look at high-performance Nvme prices).

Those people who were saying: "4 TB storage, minimum!" Sorry, thems the breaks. You want 3 more terabytes of storage? Wait till expandable storage reaches your budget point. You'll probably be happier than being forced to pay a substantial price hike, and if you're not, lots of other people will be.

If I we can't store everything all at once then we riot!

• Options

https://youtu.be/lB6Gk5EtunI?t=116

Jokes aside, people with download caps and/or slow internet have seen this coming for a long time, and yes, it's going to suck. There's an (inconvenient) solution apparently: buy a record-cheap 8 terabyte USB 3.0 storage device, and migrate your game installs on and off of it as you play them.

Does that seem terrible ironic that you'll have to wait to transfer a game out of storage before you can play it (and move it back when you're done), considering all of this is being done in the name of faster load times? Yes, yes it does.

But the other solution--spend an ass-load of money on more of this high-speed memory storage option--is exponentially worse.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited March 2020

https://youtu.be/lB6Gk5EtunI?t=116

Jokes aside, people with download caps and/or slow internet have seen this coming for a long time, and yes, it's going to suck. There's an (inconvenient) solution apparently: buy a record-cheap 8 terabyte USB 3.0 storage device, and migrate your game installs on and off of it as you play them.

Does that seem terrible ironic that you'll have to wait to transfer a game out of storage before you can play it (and move it back when you're done), considering all of this is being done in the name of faster load times? Yes, yes it does.

But the other solution--spend an ass-load of money on more of this high-speed memory storage option--is exponentially worse.

ehhhhhhh.

I see this as a problem that I am glad they are making at the onset so that games can rely on having the speed available for the sum of the generation.

If they (or sony, or whoever) decide to allow for platter devices or slower flash memory for game installs at the onset, we have hobbled the device for future generations.

In 2024 when they come with 4TB out of box baseline, and 8TB elite models, we will be happy that all games can trust that the fast storage is there.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    I entirely embraced the off-disc storage model. Waiting the few minutes to copy as opposed to the multiple hours, if not days, to download something is fucking heaven.