[Xbox] Game Pass - 10 million subscribers and counting

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I still want an optical drive, though. Not interested in another SAD edition, really.
    but why

also it's not like you'll ever be able to go get physical media again anyways

edit - with that said i do use my xbone for blu ray movies

Primarily movies. I love that my Xbone X plays CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, and 4K Blu-rays. One drive to rule them all. (My PS4 Pro can't even recognise CDs, and of course doesn't play 4K either.)

But I do have a library of physical games I otherwise wouldn't be able to play BC. I pick up physical games because a lot of the time they're a hell of a lot cheaper than digital on the Xbox here. £10 cheaper typically for a big new release, and often easily that much for some older, cheaper game I skipped or missed first time round, even often cheaper than sale prices for digital. It's saved me hundreds, literally. (Now I think about it, it's probably paid for my X.)

I pick up digital too, though. If I'm not getting ripped off to do it.

cloudeagle wrote: »
    The whole not being able to go outside thing and the difficulty in finding some physical media games (here I'm thinking the FF7 remake) will probably cause even more people to shift to digital. Granted physical will probably still have some life in it yet.

With all the discussion of it lately, it turns out that physical accounts for around 50% of big new release sales. Some of those sales may switch to digital if that's the only option, but many won't (or can't), and publishers won't want to take that hit to sales (or piss off customers). Hence games getting delayed that might otherwise have to skip physical releases in the pandemic. Physical isn't going anywhere yet.

Ask me how interested I am in all-digital when that 50GB game takes ~150 hours to download.

You're muckin' with a G!

Do not engage the Watermelons.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I miss the original Xbox font.

You're going to have to settle for the very nondescript Xbox 360 font, which this basically is (but with more kearning).

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I still want an optical drive, though. Not interested in another SAD edition, really.
    but why

Primarily movies. I love that my Xbone X plays CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, and 4K Blu-rays. One drive to rule them all. (My PS4 Pro can't even recognise CDs, and of course doesn't play 4K either.)

But I do have a library of physical games I otherwise wouldn't be able to play BC. I pick up physical games because a lot of the time they're a hell of a lot cheaper than digital on the Xbox here. £10 cheaper typically for a big new release, and often easily that much for some older, cheaper game I skipped or missed first time round, even often cheaper than sale prices for digital. It's saved me hundreds, literally. (Now I think about it, it's probably paid for my X.)

The whole not being able to go outside thing and the difficulty in finding some physical media games (here I'm thinking the FF7 remake) will probably cause even more people to shift to digital. Granted physical will probably still have some life in it yet.

With all the discussion of it lately, it turns out that physical accounts for around 50% of big new release sales. Some of those sales may switch to digital if that's the only option, but many won't (or can't), and publishers won't want to take that hit to sales (or piss off customers). Hence games getting delayed that might otherwise have to skip physical releases in the pandemic. Physical isn't going anywhere yet.

Ask me how interested I am in all-digital when that 50GB game takes ~150 hours to download.

You're usually the first one who comes to mind. :bro:

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    but why

so people keep saying this, and I get it, except patches now are so big now, hell the switch lately has games that still make you download half the god damned game if not more. like at this point, the disc is barely saving you any downloading when you have to redownload all of call of duty to patch it. freaking brutal

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    So, I know it's not from Gaming's Walter Cronkite, but Windows Central does have a short piece on what a few developers think of the Series X hardware thusfar.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Who would be gaming's Walter Cronkite?

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    So, I know it's not from Gaming's Walter Cronkite, but Windows Central does have a short piece on what a few developers think of the Series X hardware thusfar.

I for one look forward to long range ballistic castration at 4K and 60fps.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Jason Schreier

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Not mentioned in the tweet, but is in the news article at the end: GTA V is leaving Game Pass on the same day.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Man am i missing being able to snap an app while playing a game. Watching the NFL draft and I'd love to be playing some pinball at the same time.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Gears of War Tactics is up for pre-download on the PC version of Gamepass.

Unlocks on the 28th.

This is a good week for squad and turn based games, with Xcom Chimera Squad out today.

Oh speaking of pinball, I went to buy the Adams family table for pinball arcade. Guess it's been delisted :( wish I had bought it before.

However I were pinball fx3 is doing midway / bally tables. I bought creature of the black lagoon (and two other games) the monster pack that's on sale that has the universal monster's. I'm hoping maybe they get the rights somehow to Adams family. I guess last time it cost $101,000 all together . Tjat included Raul Julia's voice. This time I'm buying it right away. I don't care if it's $20. A real machine would cost me thousands. My favorite pinball game of all time.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Jason Schreier

Adam Sessler

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Oh speaking of pinball, I went to buy the Adams family table for pinball arcade. Guess it's been delisted :( wish I had bought it before.

However I were pinball fx3 is doing midway / bally tables. I bought creature of the black lagoon (and two other games) the monster pack that's on sale that has the universal monster's. I'm hoping maybe they get the rights somehow to Adams family. I guess last time it cost $101,000 all together . Tjat included Raul Julia's voice. This time I'm buying it right away. I don't care if it's $20. A real machine would cost me thousands. My favorite pinball game of all time.

Don't know the full story, but a couple years ago, Farsight/Pinball Arcade lost the licenses to Bally/Midway and Williams and Pinball FX announced they had them.

I don't know if FX has done anything with them, but then again I don't care. I spent ~$600 to buy all the tables for Pinball Arcade on Steam and Xbox One. I only lament they never released Fire! or Tales of Old Chicago.

You're muckin' with a G!

Man am i missing being able to snap an app while playing a game. Watching the NFL draft and I'd love to be playing some pinball at the same time.

I end up using my Surface Pro on a surface next to me, like a coffee table.

Not as convenient, but at least I get a bigger screen I guess.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Yeah everyone having smart phones or tablet devices kind of killed the snap feature. Also the fact that it used up processing power even when not active meant it was always going to be first on the chopping block

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The first thing on the chopping block was Kinect, where they removed it from the dashboard so they could give back the CPU core that was dedicated to running it at all times back to games. The second thing cut was Snap, and the third thing was Cortana.

I thought about using my laptop but ended up playing games on that while watching the draft.

Don't know the full story, but a couple years ago, Farsight/Pinball Arcade lost the licenses to Bally/Midway and Williams and Pinball FX announced they had them.

I don't know if FX has done anything with them, but then again I don't care. I spent ~$600 to buy all the tables for Pinball Arcade on Steam and Xbox One. I only lament they never released Fire! or Tales of Old Chicago.

Wish I had known this when it happened. I kept putting off Adams family waiting for a sale. Then jist forgot about it.

Pinball fx3 does have a lot of midway tables. I just bought the monster bash and creature from the black lagoon ones, along with medevil madness. Loved that table in real life.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Would you say you're using your Surface Pro on a surface, like a pro?

Heffling wrote: »

Would you say you're using your Surface Pro on a surface, like a pro?

giphy.gif

On an equally unimportant note, sometime earlier this week, the Game Pass emblem (the one that appears on the splash screen of a game) changed to match the console branding more generally. I kind of like the old one. Oh well.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    The first thing on the chopping block was Kinect, where they removed it from the dashboard so they could give back the CPU core that was dedicated to running it at all times back to games. The second thing cut was Snap, and the third thing was Cortana.

Wait, they cut Cortana, too?

Kinect, I get, but why the rest?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    All of those things had system level carve outs that meant they were guaranteed a certain amount of the console's power at all times so they could be activated whenever. By removing those features, they removed those carve outs and thus allowed games access to more of the system's resources.

edited April 2020

@Santa Claustrophobia were many of these available in pinball arcade? These are the tables for fx3 right bow
    Monster bash
    Creature from the black lagoon
    Fish tails
    Get away
    Junk yard
    medieval madness
    Cirque Voltaire
    Gofers (I think I've played this in real life need to look it up)
    Arabian nights
    White water
    Road show
    Hurricane
    There's of magic
    The champion pub
    Safe cracker
    Black rose
    Stack from mars
    The party zone.

They have quite a few but apart from the universal stuff, no big licenses. Wish I had a way to buy Adams family pinball for pinball arcade still. Really regretting not buying it way back when.

Edit they payed for the rights for zz top for the getaway table so maybe there's hope for Adams family.

RickRude on
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    XCOM 2 is free to play until the 30th, to get people hype for chimera squad I'm guessing. Just the base game though.

Is there word of when (or if, officially, but we all know it's when) Chimera Squad is hitting consoles?

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Is there word of when (or if, officially, but we all know it's when) Chimera Squad is hitting consoles?

nothing yet and i expect it will be a while. Firaxis have been really good about porting their games to console and mobile, but i don't think we'll see it till next year.

Santa Claustrophobia were many of these available in pinball arcade? These are the tables for fx3 right bow
    Monster bash
    Creature from the black lagoon
    Fish tails
    Get away
    Junk yard
    medieval madness
    Cirque Voltaire
    Gofers (I think I've played this in real life need to look it up)
    Arabian nights
    White water
    Road show
    Hurricane
    There's of magic
    The champion pub
    Safe cracker
    Black rose
    Stack from mars
    The party zone.

They have quite a few but apart from the universal stuff, no big licenses. Wish I had a way to buy Adams family pinball for pinball arcade still. Really regretting not buying it way back when.

Edit they payed for the rights for zz top for the getaway table so maybe there's hope for Adams family.

Presuming you mean a)The Getaway: High Speed II, b) No Good Gophers, c)Red & Ted's Road Show, d)Theatre of Magic, and e) Attack from Mars, then yes. All of those were once available in Pinball Arcade.

Addams Family could be tricky. Farsight had to alter the art because Christopher Lloyd couldn't or wouldn't allow his likeness to be used.

You're muckin' with a G!

Anyone play Epic Pinball or Silverball back in the DOS days? Man, those were the days.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Only one table I need

pkjtmeskh8cn.png

I wonder if anyone's ever made a real life version of this...

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Never been able to get into pinball , just never did anything for me . Then I see people Super into it and this massive feeling of confusion overwhelms me .

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Never been able to get into pinball , just never did anything for me . Then I see people Super into it and this massive feeling of confusion overwhelms me .

So...you don't play a mean pin ball?

Wraith260 wrote: »

nothing yet and i expect it will be a while. Firaxis have been really good about porting their games to console and mobile, but i don't think we'll see it till next year.

That's what I thought.

It's been weird adjusting to playing it with a mouse - no controller support on the PC version yet.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Completed Halo 5 Legendary 2 player Co-op run today. Reports from the field on this very timely playthrough:
    -Legendary is bad difficulty and should feel bad. Elites and Grunts will often BEGIN a combat encounter (the first time they see that you exist) by hucking sticky grenades to your EXACT position. In the later levels, plasma pistol overcharge only does MOST of an Elite's shield worth of damage. Not the entire thing. Sticky grenades on Elites aren't kills either. Knights actually come out better, their weak point gimmick is still pretty fair play on Legendary. Turrets are pretty much boss fights, depending on what weapons you happen to be carrying and where they happen to be placed in the environment. One late game turret took 6-7 consecutive fuel rod cannon shots to explode, for an example of what I'm talking about here. Jackal snipes kill you in one shot, a la Halo 2 Legendary. The nicest thing I will say about Legendary in this game is that MOST weapons seem to have at least a little purpose in this mode. Assault rifle and SMG are completely unusable trash, but Magnum is actually still good. Rockets and fuel rod do better for damage than in some terrible Legendary modes (I am looking at you, REACH). Warthogs go pretty terribly for you (whoever thought that Warthog gun should overheat is an impressive moron), but most of the other vehicles retain their usefulness to steamroll groups if you play carefully.
    -The friendly AI seemingly has improved not at all from Reach. This is quite bad, since the enemy numbers/spawns/toughness are all premised on you working as a team. In many player co-op, this is fair and would be fun. In single or 2 player, it means you're facing more tough enemies than any other game in the series, with the assistance of two people who will maybe try to kill ONE target at a time that you ask them to, or revive you... if they can figure out how to get past a chest high wall. Speaking of revives, in a 2 player run, one player calling for revival sends both AIs running over. One to revive, and one to stand nearby and do nothing in the hopes that everyone will get killed and be sent back to checkpoint. They REFUSE to split up and each revive one player, this behavior literally does not exist. The AI also has a somewhat hilarious preference for driving a vehicle over riding in a partner/support seat, unless you are the driver or you ORDER them to do something. This means you'll have sections with you driving a warthog, your real life buddy in the warthog turret, one AI in a mongoose just tooling around, and one AI driving an otherwise empty Warthog. The AI seems to have lost its touch for friendly fire roadkill incidents on you, but is better than EVER before at being roadkilled BY you. No self preservation in that respect at all.
    -The audio diaries (called Intel in this game) are the worst of any game I have ever played. Not because of the content, that's middling. It's the presentation. When you find one, it plays audio locally from the source of the find. If you stand near the thing, you can hear it, and if you walk away, you stop hearing it. Which is pretty ridiculous, since one would assume your Spartan downloads audio that they would then hear in their helmet. The audio is not subtitled in game. If one player finds an intel on a high ledge (intel LOVES being on high ledges in this game), only they will hear it, unless the other players come and visit random high ledge-town too. But that's theoretically okay, it saves all the intel you find to an option on the main menu. When you play it from there, it's just... the same audio clip, played at the original volume from in-game. The menu music never stops playing, I had to mute it to hear the intel clearly. Because the menu music is bombastically loud and dramatic and the intel is pretty much the opposite of that. There's no tracking through the clip (media player style) and STILL no subtitles or transcript available. From an accessibility perspective, 343 should be hit with large stones until dead. Oh and many of the intel are parts of a continuing series of entries. The series entries are not necessarily arranged in numerical order on the collection screen. I think it might not re-sort them, if you find them out of order (?!).
    -The Legendary post credits scene is basically nothing, but I do prefer it to the no scene that happens in some games.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    All of those things had system level carve outs that meant they were guaranteed a certain amount of the console's power at all times so they could be activated whenever. By removing those features, they removed those carve outs and thus allowed games access to more of the system's resources.

Sounds like poor planning. I hope the Series X doesn't have to start carving out features for games to run.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited April 2020

Sounds like poor planning. I hope the Series X doesn't have to start carving out features for games to run.

The poor planning was in not inflating the hardware specs so they had space for those features while also providing PS4 level specs to games at launch. If the Series X plans on bringing back Snap, for example, then I don't think their specs are set up to allow for that and still provide PS5 level specs to games.

Opty on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »

So...you don't play a mean pin ball?

I can play a mean version of Townsend's shuffle pattern from Pinball Wizard.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai