NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I was just about to post that.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    That says 3 months for me.

Edit: nevermind, I didn't notice it was a buy one get 3 more months free situation.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I feel like I may have bought enough Game Pass now. They're not going to bill me until 2022... I've only paid them for 7 months total since last July.

dporowski on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    It only gave me the bonus 3 months for the first 3 month sub. Was planning on stocking up for both our xbox's but still a good deal getting 3 free.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Anyone from Canada give it a try? It's a digital code, but curious if it's janky and region locked.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    My Shadow Black controller is randomly disconnecting, I could get a replacement at Best Buy but not doing that in this madness. I ordered a new one from GameStop and it got here super fast, I was surprised.

srzbs3bjadh1.jpg

Shadow Magenta!

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Picked up Nier again and I'm enjoying it a lot more. Just got to the amusement park and it's been a nice bizarre WTF. Took a bit to figure out a custom control scheme that feels good
    RT: evade
    RB: pod program
    LT: fire
    LB: lock on

Is there a rule of thumb for what counts as a low slot count for chips? I'm guessing I only want to fuse low slot chips but I'm not seeing any indicator of a range for a particular chip.

Edit: i guess I should be putting this in the Nier thread.

Carpy on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Picked up Nier again and I'm enjoying it a lot more. Just got to the amusement park and it's been a nice bizarre WTF. Took a bit to figure out a custom control scheme that feels good

Is there a rule of thumb for what counts as a low slot count for chips? I'm guessing I only want to fuse low slot chips but I'm not seeing any indicator of a range for a particular chip.

Really, it's procedurally generated as far as I know, so it comes down to having a bunch of the same chip (which you will have, the game is very much based on repetition) and noting the lowest slot cost (marked by a diamond).

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »

Really, it's procedurally generated as far as I know, so it comes down to having a bunch of the same chip (which you will have, the game is very much based on repetition) and noting the lowest slot cost (marked by a diamond).

I was wondering what that diamond meant. Good to know, thanks.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    I feel like I may have bought enough Game Pass now. They're not going to bill me until 2022... I've only paid them for 7 months total since last July.

I'm in the same boat.

I'm good on game pass ultimate through November of 2022 and I think I've paid like full price for 3 months and the rest have been deep discounts or BOGO stuff.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    dporowski wrote: »

I'm in the same boat.

I'm good on game pass ultimate through November of 2022 and I think I've paid like full price for 3 months and the rest have been deep discounts or BOGO stuff.

I picked up 3 months via Microsoft Rewards (I'm about halfway to that again, a bit past, but I don't think I will again, haha).

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Damn it’s saying a game I want is on special, but when I click and go to the games store page it’s just showing the full price. It’s not a gamepass or gold thing, I have both of those. I don’t really want to click through to the buy page to check because the sale is a big difference (from 150 to 45)

Never mind hard reset and reloaded the store and sales over. Pretty ridiculous that it takes a hard reset to update the store. I hope this kind of shit is fixed for the series x.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I just found out that Too Human is not only backwards compatible, but it's also free! I know the general gaming community hated the game due to the lead dev being a dick and blatantly stealing the Unreal Engine while refusing to pay, but I loved the hell out of that game. Now that it's free, I may actually be able to play with people.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Damn it’s saying a game I want is on special, but when I click and go to the games store page it’s just showing the full price. It’s not a gamepass or gold thing, I have both of those. I don’t really want to click through to the buy page to check because the sale is a big difference (from 150 to 45)

Never mind hard reset and reloaded the store and sales over. Pretty ridiculous that it takes a hard reset to update the store. I hope this kind of shit is fixed for the series x.

This is where I tell people to stop using Always on once again, and then somebody chimes in to tell me to shut up, despite things like this being a constant companion to using it.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I just found out that Too Human is not only backwards compatible, but it's also free! I know the general gaming community hated the game due to the lead dev being a dick and blatantly stealing the Unreal Engine while refusing to pay, but I loved the hell out of that game. Now that it's free, I may actually be able to play with people.

I wanted to love Too Human so bad. I played a lot at the endgame trying to get a full set of Red armor. I got a Red rarity helmet early on, and then 10 hours in got another Red helmet.. I quit then. Too much heartbreak.

Keep in mind people only farmed the last missions because it dropped the best loot, so it got old very quickly.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Le_Goat wrote: »

I wanted to love Too Human so bad. I played a lot at the endgame trying to get a full set of Red armor. I got a Red rarity helmet early on, and then 10 hours in got another Red helmet.. I quit then. Too much heartbreak.

Keep in mind people only farmed the last missions because it dropped the best loot, so it got old very quickly.
    The red loot was maddening. From what I was told, you had to play with a full party to start getting those drops. I tend to not PUG games like that, partly because I have dealt with too many asshats.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Was the story in Too Human finished or does the game end in a cliffhanger? I heard Dyack was planning a trilogy.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    For a sport with a tradition of unsurprisingly harsh penalties for bad behavior on the track, the AI in F1 2018 is way too tempted to just slam into you and fuck you over for a whole race, penalties be damned.

20 laps in that game to get the Game Pass quest, and I realize that driveatars are absolutely restrained by comparison.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Was the story in Too Human finished or does the game end in a cliffhanger? I heard Dyack was planning a trilogy.

It was supposed to be a trilogy. I don’t think it eggs with a cliffhanger but the story was not complete in any way.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Interesting news: a remaster of Saints Row: The Third will be coming to Xbox One and PS4 later in May. No news on a Switch release (the conversion of the original game to Switch was limited somewhat by hardware, apparently), but as I understand it, The Third is generally held as being the best game in the franchise? It was the one I played the most.

Depends on who you ask. A lot of people think that 2 is the best one and that 3 jumps the shark.

I've heard that two too, with the caveat that SR3 is substantially better optimized on PC (and even console) than its predecessor (and SR4 re-uses that same engine).

I'm not really a fan of the whole franchise across the board, but since I don't really like GTA that much, a different take/parody of it isn't so attractive.

Saint's Row 1 was a knock-off of the GTA franchise at the time.
    Saint's Row 2 was a knock-off of the GTA with some fun over the top things, like a side mission where you drive a septic tank truck and spray high dollar value properties to lower the value for a scummy realator to buy on the cheap.
    Saint's Row 3 realized that the fun over the top things were better than the GTA clone and ditched them. Your first mission has you fighting in a cargo plane, then bailing out and fighting in mid air, then landing on a law enforcement building and fighting some more so you can save your homie. Later on, one of the islands is infected by a strange chemical that turns the inhabitants to zombies. It's over the top in all the right ways, with enough grounding to help you appreciate how over the top it is.
    Saint's Row 4 buys in totally on the over the top stuff, and turns you into a superhero fighting evil aliens in a virtual matrix style copy of the earth that the aliens made.
    Gat Out of Hell is a sequel to SR4 in which you go to hell to rescue the same homie from SR3. It plays a lot like SR4 in a new world with demonic skins instead of sci-fi.
    Agents of Mayhem takes the mediocre shooting of GTA and SR games and dials it up to 11, with a minor bit of superhero abilities thrown in. Unfortunately mediocre stuff dialed up to 11 is still mediocre, just flashy. Crackdown 3 and AoM have a lot in common.

• Options
    SR2 doesn't get enough credit, it had a lot of wacky stuff. Games where you Chuck people into chainsaws, the 4 player zombie survival mode, all sorts of stuff. The cheats were crazy too. If anything SR took the mantle of zany cheats from the original GTA games and carried that torch forward. These days that's a lost art.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I like both, but prefer GTA. If you don't like open sandbox gaming, then all the wacky shit in the world isn't going to change that.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    GTA drove me bananas because it tried to tell a super-serious story in a world filled with "satire" seemingly produced by a disappointing 8th grader. I spent an hour diving into 4's version of the internet trying to find the funny only to develop a burning hatred for the game's writers. Though even if you avoided that, you still had to endure the radio ads and crap like the internet cafe being named "Tw@t." Har! The @ means it is internet!

Saint's Row did a much better job of blending the wackiness of the world into the plot. You could argue it still wasn't exactly something that would excite lit professors, but at least it was mostly goofiness and not "satire." (And the jokes never got as bad as Tw@t.)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SR2 doesn't get enough credit, it had a lot of wacky stuff. Games where you Chuck people into chainsaws, the 4 player zombie survival mode, all sorts of stuff. The cheats were crazy too. If anything SR took the mantle of zany cheats from the original GTA games and carried that torch forward. These days that's a lost art.

Yes, but did it have Whored Mode? Hmmmm?

• Options
    edited April 2020
    GTAs satirical bullshit writing is such a waste of a detailed world and game. I’m so glad red dead actually goes for it and tries to tell a serious story and doesn’t hedge it’s bets and go “oh none of this matters look how silly this is! Oh the story is nonsense and the characters pointless? That’s intentional! It’s satire! Any of the parts you get bored by, or don’t make sense, or any time we try to be serious and it lands like a thud, that’s because it’s satire!”

Prohass on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    GTAs satirical bullshit writing is such a waste of a detailed world and game. I’m so glad red dead actually goes for it and tries to tell a serious story and doesn’t hedge it’s bets and go “oh none of this matters look how silly this is! Oh the story is nonsense and the characters pointless? That’s intentional! It’s satire! Any of the parts you get bored by, or don’t make sense, or any time we try to be serious and it lands like a thud, that’s because it’s satire!”

There was a bit of satire in RDR2 if you read the descriptions in the catalogs. Though that worked perfectly because it took the stilted language of early 20th-century ad copy and just dialed it up a few notches with an eye toward how America was actually like at the time. And there was some story goofiness (here I'm thinking of the mission that was 100% "Arthur and Lenny get plastered"), but they fit into the plot, build characters, and set up future plot developments.

It's kind of amazing how much I hate GTA's world and love RDR's, yet they're from the same company.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The story/meta-story in GTA has always been divergent. It only grew even more after IV. It is, admittedly, off-putting. But I dislike SR's in-your-face-and-up-your-ass way of doing it.

I prefer GTA because the world design feels more real. Wandering around Liberty City in IV and Los Santos in V feels more 'immersive'. There is a reason I didn't care for SR3 compared to the first two.

• Options
    I never had any interest in the SR series, so I can't say much. But with GTA, I've played the original top-down on PS1 through V and I can say that after San Andreas, they basically just turned into a Madden game: once you play one, you've played them all. I have not enjoyed a GTA since San Andreas.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    New Game Pass games:
    Console:
    The Long Dark (ID@Xbox) – April 16
    Gato Roboto (ID@Xbox – Day One with Xbox Game Pass) – April 21
    Deliver Us The Moon (ID@Xbox – Day One with Xbox Game Pass) – April 23
    HyperDot (ID@Xbox) – April 30
    Levelhead (ID@Xbox – Day One with Xbox Game Pass) – April 30
    PC: (No dates given):
    Deliver Us The Moon (ID@Xbox – Day One with Xbox Game Pass)
    Gato Roboto (ID@Xbox – Day One with Xbox Game Pass)
    Gears Tactics (Day One with Xbox Game Pass)
    HyperDot (ID@Xbox)
    Levelhead (ID@Xbox – Day One with Xbox Game Pass)
    The Long Dark (ID@Xbox)
    Machinarium (ID@Xbox)
    Games leaving on April 30th:
    Console:
    The Banner Saga 2
    Bomber Crew
    Braid
    Fallout 4
    Full Metal Furies
    Metal Slug 3
    Ruiner
    Silence: The Whispered World 2
    Smoke and Sacrifice
    Wolfenstein: The New Order
    PC:
    The Banner Saga 2
    Bomber Crew
    Full Metal Furies
    Ruiner
    Silence: The Whispered World 2
    Smoke and Sacrifice

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Saints Row 2 was my happy place. It was absurd, but not to the levels that it went after that.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Saint's Row 2 was the series high point; the main story was serious business and the side missions were wacky fun. It was a really great balance and in the end, they really embraced that you're a prick villain.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    A bunch of classic games were added to the XBox One tonight: Double Dragon 1-3, River City Ransom, Crash 'n the Boys Street Challenge, Super Dodge Ball, and Renegade.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Saint's Row 2 was the series high point; the main story was serious business and the side missions were wacky fun. It was a really great balance and in the end, they really embraced that you're a prick villain.

More of a puckish rogue, really...

• Options
    Im really hoping next gen is when the total war guys realise they have a game that would work perfectly fine on consoles, because it’s not really twitch based, and just try to get a version running. They would corner the market as there’s really nothing else like it, and there’s a lot of people like me who grew up on total war but can no longer justify having a gaming pc

• Options
    They need to hurry up and release ff7 on gamepass. All these ff7r spoilers have me jonesing to play it again.

• Options
    Im really hoping next gen is when the total war guys realise they have a game that would work perfectly fine on consoles, because it’s not really twitch based, and just try to get a version running. They would corner the market as there’s really nothing else like it, and there’s a lot of people like me who grew up on total war but can no longer justify having a gaming pc

As much as I enjoy the franchise (in the past and present) I doubt they'd see much sales on consoles.

• Options
    edited April 2020

As much as I enjoy the franchise (in the past and present) I doubt they'd see much sales on consoles.

I dunno it’s just always seemed odd for me, I mean xcom comes to consoles, and their studio is much smaller. And there’s games like civilisation etc, it’s just weird. Lots of strategy games and indies come to consoles, hell cities skylines is there and doing well. If they’re looking at like internal data they’ve done to gauge its success fair enough, but it seems like a no brainer for me

It just seems weird they’ve never tried once in the history of the franchise to bring any one of their games to a console

Prohass on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    wj5r74rv82id.png
    @Synthesis you son of a bitch, how dare you try to spread your dirty terms at other outlets

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    wj5r74rv82id.png
    @Synthesis you son of a bitch, how dare you try to spread your dirty terms at other outlets

It's hard to describe how happy this makes me.

But I'm going to put that aside and get down to business: first, you know who to come to if you want to find actual good prices on Playstation 4 consoles.

(Me. Come to me.)

Second, @Hardtarget stop stalking me. I know it's hard, but stop.

EDIT: Also, you know "PSFro" came from Kotaku, right? Their podcast no less. :lol:

Synthesis on