As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Take care. Listen to health authorities.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I'm going to be in and out.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It's been a good response, but this definitely isn't patching over how I've felt about him and the party for the last 5+ years. Watching the bottom fall out on the world oil market isn't making a compelling case for the pipeline expansion they bought either. Doing one thing right doesn't fix the many wrongs along the way.

Still disappointed not to see any support for renters. I know it's not the same level of problem across the country, but if we've reached the level of housing crisis we have in some places, I don't know why anyone would expect the landlords who put us here to suddenly open their hearts and wallets. People are going to suffer.

The bottom falling out of the oil market this way was not really predictable. This fight, especially in the middle of a pandemic, is NUTS.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    You expect up and down in oil prices because of the nature of the industry, the shift towards greener energy and how producers react but I don't think people expected OPEC to go mental as well as a global pandemic that makes everyone stay inside.

I'd be down for sure for a Canada discord server.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Western Canadian Select went below $10 a barrel.

That's insane. Alberta is going into a full blown depression.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    We can only hope for Alberta's sake that oil prices rebound after Saudi Arabia and Russia end their fight and the world starts to get over this pandemic. Hopefully this crisis gets them to diversify away from oil as much as they can.

• Options
    I will say this is certainly an opportunity to push a new energy economy as rock bottom when everyone's already fucked is a better place to start than normal times.
    I don't think we're nimble or brave enough to do this though.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    It's been a good response, but this definitely isn't patching over how I've felt about him and the party for the last 5+ years. Watching the bottom fall out on the world oil market isn't making a compelling case for the pipeline expansion they bought either. Doing one thing right doesn't fix the many wrongs along the way.

Still disappointed not to see any support for renters. I know it's not the same level of problem across the country, but if we've reached the level of housing crisis we have in some places, I don't know why anyone would expect the landlords who put us here to suddenly open their hearts and wallets. People are going to suffer.

The bottom falling out of the oil market this way was not really predictable. This fight, especially in the middle of a pandemic, is NUTS.
    Sure, but it's underlining that the market for our oil was never that big. How long does that pipeline need to run at a relatively stable price to theoretically pay for itself?

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    talk about insanity, I saw gas for 106 in Vancouver this morning!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    We're actually down to 78.9 everywhere in Saskatoon (Costco would be cheaper yet, I'm sure). It's kind of crazy to be down there again. I remember thinking it was getting high when it was in the 60s back when I was younger and just starting to drive (I think, anyway). I remember it being in the 40s-50s when I was real young in the backseat of my parents' car driving through the city.

• Options
    LaOs wrote: »
    We're actually down to 78.9 everywhere in Saskatoon (Costco would be cheaper yet, I'm sure). It's kind of crazy to be down there again. I remember thinking it was getting high when it was in the 60s back when I was younger and just starting to drive (I think, anyway). I remember it being in the 40s-50s when I was real young in the backseat of my parents' car driving through the city.

When I was 17 and had an old Firebird V8, gas was 0.45/l in Cochrane, Alberta. That was 1997.

• Options
    Okay, yeah, that's probably close then. I was 16 in 2000, so probably really cared about gas prices around then or 2001 and recall it getting to the 60s (and seeming high).

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

When I was 17 and had an old Firebird V8, gas was 0.45/l in Cochrane, Alberta. That was 1997.

Yeah, I remember gas at 49.9 in BC in the mid-90s, which at one point I was driving a 1971 v8 chevy malibu.

:so_raven:
  • Options

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

It was a garbage car, but looked nice. I've been trying to get back into a coupe ever since and finally am with my current car.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    omg at a team meeting just now after the meeting we were shooting the shit and one of the guys told us that this morning his wife was told by some lady to leave the dog park because their dog coughed.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Joining the working from home crew. Having been here not quite three months in a furnished unit, I moved into a new place last week, and yesterday went out and basically bought the entire contents of someones apartment, as they were going to Europe to get away from Coronavirus. Before that I was genuinely terrified I might end up self isolating in an unfurnished, empty unit, sleeping under a pile of work shirts. Seriously.

My work has now gone entirely remote; software people, sales, accountants, the lot. For the foreseeable.

On a personal note, absolutely terrified. As some of you may remember, all the way back in, oh, January, I came over here as a PR. My wife is also a PR, but decided to stay in the UK to finish out a work contract, and then take a cruise to the US and then Amtrak up to TO, because it sounded like a once in a lifetime experience, and she's deathly afraid of flying.

So that sounded like a great plan in December, now not so much.

Cruises through April have been cancelled, but not the May ones; we won't know if we could get a refund on that until mid-April. We're still moving out of the UK house, and the movers are...also scheduled for mid-April. We're selling the house, and although we can manage that remotely, some of you may have noticed the nosedive in the £-$ rate today; depending on how that goes, we may take a bath there too. But mostly, we're worried that while the Mrs is still in the UK getting the last of our lives extricated, they'll shut down travel entirely. We were just bout ready to be apart three months, given I came out because of a job. Four months to allow for a trip of a lifetime, even. But this could be going on a while.

Anyway, scary stuff, nobody knows what's going on. I'd offer to buy you all a pint, but obviously none of us are going out much right now.

Stay safe, folks.

Buddy, I feel you. My wife is hiking the Te Araroa in NZ right now, and she's basically not able to come home now. The timing of this feels even more savage, because her flight is about 2 weeks outside of what the NZ government would allow for an international flight. I guess thank god we live in an age with the internet, hopefully she can still come home in a time frame measured in weeks, not months.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Who's interested in a Discord server for the Canada thread? If people are up for it I'll try to set one up.

EDIT: Here's the server: https://discord.gg/fWdqKU

A bunch of us have jumped in, we're a good bunch, come join us.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Sure, but it's underlining that the market for our oil was never that big. How long does that pipeline need to run at a relatively stable price to theoretically pay for itself?

I don't really see how it underlines that. The price of oil is, long run, very likely going up not down. Hence why this entire situation is nuts. The Saudis are basically massively driving the price of oil down to get at Russia and that's all that's really causing the price to crater afaik.

• Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    omg at a team meeting just now after the meeting we were shooting the shit and one of the guys told us that this morning his wife was told by some lady to leave the dog park because their dog coughed.

They need to train their dog to cough on people on command.
    "Give that other dog corona!"

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    So this isn't official or confirmed yet, but my company does work with the Alberta liquor and gaming commission & GOA and one of our contacts told us liquor stores will be closed after tomorrow. Albertans will not be happy without liquor if that happens

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular

I don't really see how it underlines that. The price of oil is, long run, very likely going up not down. Hence why this entire situation is nuts. The Saudis are basically massively driving the price of oil down to get at Russia and that's all that's really causing the price to crater afaik.

The Saudis are putting massive supply pressure on the price by flooding the markets, but oil demand is cratering too. Airlines are on track to cut fuel demand by 75% over last year for the next month or two and personal travel is becoming increasingly curtailed due to travel and work closures. The combination of the two is why oil prices have fallen through the floor. The Saudis aren't just going after Russia, though. They know North American oil is much more expensive to produce and already running on narrow margins, so they're probably seeing this as an opportunity to cripple many producers while they ride it out.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So this isn't official or confirmed yet, but my company does work with the Alberta liquor and gaming commission and one of our contracts told us liquor stores will be closed after tomorrow. Albertans will not be happy without liquor if that happens

Probably for the best. Nobody needs a bunch of liquored up unemployed oil workers.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    So this isn't official or confirmed yet, but my company does work with the Alberta liquor and gaming commission and one of our contracts told us liquor stores will be closed after tomorrow. Albertans will not be happy without liquor if that happens

Probably for the best. Nobody needs a bunch of liquored up unemployed oil workers.

Holy shit, thanks for the tip-off.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

Me and my wife are self quarantine right now. She had some colleagues at the clinic she works at come down with flu like symptoms, one had been travelling and got back the a couple days before the mandatory 14 day isolation thing came down. So my wife called the line for physicians and we were told to isolate until she gets tested. Test happened yesterday and it will be another 4-5 days before we get results. Luckily for me a friend did a beer run and dropped us off beverages on the porch. While I have plenty of spirits sometime you need beer. Didnt get wine sadly.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    If they close the liquor stores they better open up some kind of delivery / pick up system.

I needs my beer in these trying times.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    New Brunswick has done the whole "State of Emergency" thing now. Basically most retail is closed, except for the following, which I'll just copy and paste.
    All businesses in retail sales will stop admitting patrons, except: grocery stores; pharmacies; repair garages; post offices; financial and lending institutions; retailers of fuel, hardware and automotive parts; convenience stores; animal and fish feed providers; and corporate and agency stores of NB Liquor and Cannabis NB.

So at least we know what's up. ANBL is also requiring you to pay via credit/debit. No cash allowed.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    NS has been dancing around closing the liquor stores too, with a vague implication that they're worried there'll be a huge contagion-spreading panic run on all the NSLC outlets if there's any amount of notice longer than "none" for doing so.

• Options
    I imagine there would be a huge run on the stores if there was notice of a closure. But, I really think they should just go to a call-and-pay with curbside pickup sort of system instead of closing totally. Keeps people employed, safe(r) from contact with the random public, and keeps from having random people handling all the product spreading whatever.

• Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    My workplace is pretty crazy here in Vancouver. Confirmed case amongst the staff. No closure, not even temporary. Everyone still to come in. These guys sure do love their money.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So, good news bad news from Facebook.

If you guys remember back in January when we talked about comedy shows, I talked about one of my favourites, "Like-Moi". They just did a sketch, released on Facebook, with one of their characters, a well-meaning doofus cosmetic expert, gives covid-19 advice. The advice is all medically correct, just presented in a hilarious way (e.g. "cough in your elbow, if you're fortunate enough to have one or two of those.") François Legault actually shared her sketch on his Facebook as well, thanking her for it, and she (the doofus character) replied "you're welcome mr. president!". This was the laugh I needed today.

Bad news, I also saw a report on one of the news stations, interviewing a bunch of 70- and 80-year olds out on the street saying "why would I isolate? I'm perfectly healthy!" This makes me absolutely furious. Right now we should be locking these people in prison for two weeks.

sig.gif
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    My office is telling everyone to work from home. I decided to briefly drop in earlier today to pick up some documentation, and of course the borderline elderly person who everyone is amazed hasn't retired yet is still at her desk. She seemed confused when I suggested that she should stay home.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    My workplace is pretty crazy here in Vancouver. Confirmed case amongst the staff. No closure, not even temporary. Everyone still to come in. These guys sure do love their money.

Report them to the medical authorities. I’m not even joking. I have a family member in Vancouver area who is an ER doc and they are running low on PPE. We can’t be fucking around with this.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I would also like to remind fellow BCers (and I hope other provinces have this too in their Labour Acts):

You have the right to refuse unsafe work.

https://www.worksafebc.com/en/health-safety/create-manage/rights-responsibilities/refusing-unsafe-work

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »

Report them to the medical authorities. I’m not even joking. I have a family member in Vancouver area who is an ER doc and they are running low on PPE. We can’t be fucking around with this.

Is it reportable? Still deciding if I should go on as told tomorrow or no. One of those jobs I reallllly can’t lose but fuck, I wish they’d just close it down for 2 weeks instead. Not like there’s business anyways

• Options
    FrostwoodFrostwood Registered User regular

We are running low on PPE as well.

I’m also seeing food shortages as our supplier is shorting us more and more things.

It’s only five food items right now, but it’s a concerning trend.

We are also running low on workers, as more and more people drop. One person is getting tested for COVID-19, and if they test positive I don’t ehat we will do.

I suppose we will have to work infected as the residents will starve to death otherwise.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    A very Canadian way of spreading COVID
    Three Manitoba doctors are self-isolating after attending a curling bonspiel with another doctor who later tested positive for COVID-19

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

If you guys remember back in January when we talked about comedy shows, I talked about one of my favourites, "Like-Moi". They just did a sketch, released on Facebook, with one of their characters, a well-meaning doofus cosmetic expert, gives covid-19 advice. The advice is all medically correct, just presented in a hilarious way (e.g. "cough in your elbow, if you're fortunate enough to have one or two of those.") François Legault actually shared her sketch on his Facebook as well, thanking her for it, and she (the doofus character) replied "you're welcome mr. president!". This was the laugh I needed today.

Bad news, I also saw a report on one of the news stations, interviewing a bunch of 70- and 80-year olds out on the street saying "why would I isolate? I'm perfectly healthy!" This makes me absolutely furious. Right now we should be locking these people in prison for two weeks.

Let the slow gazelles roam. Nature will fix it.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

Maybe but we don’t need folks out there willin fb spreading it, even if these dumbasses do catch it and die, that won’t happen before they infect many others.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Yes, and...Yes, and... Registered User regular

Is it reportable? Still deciding if I should go on as told tomorrow or no. One of those jobs I reallllly can’t lose but fuck, I wish they’d just close it down for 2 weeks instead. Not like there’s business anyways

https://www.worksafebc.com/en/about-us/covid-19-updates/what-workers-should-do
    Know when not to come to work
    The following workers must not go to work:

Workers who are ill, whether or not the illness has been confirmed as COVID-19.
    Workers who have travelled internationally. In these cases, they must remain away from the workplace for at least 14 days.
    They have an ill person in their home.
    They share a residence with a person that has been exposed to COVID-19.
    Workers who have been exposed to anyone confirmed to have COVID-19, or to anyone with possible symptoms of COVID-19, should call HealthLink BC at 8-1-1 for an assessment and to determine any necessary next steps.

• Options
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »

Maybe but we don’t need folks out there willin fb spreading it, even if these dumbasses do catch it and die, that won’t happen before they infect many others.

Or consume medical resources that are finite.