As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Steam Holiday Sale on now!

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

esports leagues are pretty much always a negative for people who just play the games. as someone who really liked playing mercy and then stopped playing overwatch, i def feel that post.

Mercy wasn't changed because of pros. She was changed because watching the entire enemy team get resurrected feels like shit.

shrug, it was all i could do in the video game. literally the only time i ever felt powerful in overwatch.

i'm terrible at shooters in my old age so it was my only thing.

the move away from abilities that didn't require twitch skill but were still helpful were absolutely the reason I ultimately stopped playing

The thing is, I can only think of one instance of heroes being moved to be more dependent on aim and that's Symmetra. Mercy still plays basically the same. There are other heroes who don't require much aim, as well. Reinhardt, Winston, Brigitte, and Moira (though, to a lesser extent) spring immediately to mind.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    I am quite surprised someone decided to prop up OG Mercy as an example of good game design.

it probably wasn't but it was a way to meaningfully contribute in a fps without having to have a high level of skill. that was a big bonus for me! i got stupid fingers and haven't been able to aim since i was 20.

I get that. For me, as someone who's played an asslot of Overwatch and a lot of Mercy, OG Mercy actually required you to deliberately contribute less because of the ult. Once you had ult, your primary responsibility was to hide. That left your team much more likely to die. Maybe you got the big rez off after the teamwipe, but to reach that point it was expected that you not play the game.

I find today's Mercy much more engaging with more interesting decisions concerning things like positioning. I'm at work so I can't cut it down to just the relevant piece, but hit 6:23 of the below Youtube video. Its a recording of play with the PA crew where I'm a key part of keeping the team alive and required no twitch play. I do end up shooting the Widow during the ult, but that's a very rare thing for me and only happened because 1) Widow was right there 2) no one else could contest the Widow 3) it was a lull in the teamfight. Shooting people while ulting is almost always worse than healing/damage boosting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfeSIlxjB6E

The core Mercy play is the same (hold left-click to win), but I play all the time instead of some of the time.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Wait.

There actually isn't iron here. This stuff is copper.

... well at least I got a shitload of research out of the place.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    You track some iron down, mix it up with that copper, shape it into a giant lady with a torch, you got yourself a statue of liberty going there.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

esports leagues are pretty much always a negative for people who just play the games. as someone who really liked playing mercy and then stopped playing overwatch, i def feel that post.

Mercy wasn't changed because of pros. She was changed because watching the entire enemy team get resurrected feels like shit.

shrug, it was all i could do in the video game. literally the only time i ever felt powerful in overwatch.

the move away from abilities that didn't require twitch skill but were still helpful were absolutely the reason I ultimately stopped playing

The thing is, I can only think of one instance of heroes being moved to be more dependent on aim and that's Symmetra. Mercy still plays basically the same. There are other heroes who don't require much aim, as well. Reinhardt, Winston, Brigitte, and Moira (though, to a lesser extent) spring immediately to mind.

Okay. I just got around to reading that article and it's hilariously off the mark. They complain that D.Va was nerfed to make DPS players feel better. Nevermind that she was consistently among the most overpowered and oppressive heroes in the game for at least a year and a half (and the author's second most played...). And the thing that seems to have prompted the article is the upcoming patch that reduces the uptime of barriers. Currently, everyone and their mother spends 80% of the match shooting the big red rectangle/semicircle so they can damage the enemy team. What fun! This is literally the first negative thing I've seen about this change.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    overwatch has problems but nearly all of them are derived from the community; the mechanics and balance have been on a largely upward trend since it launched

OG mercy ult, specifically, fucking sucked

I say that as someone who played Mercy more than any other support

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I really need to lose weight

I won a second slayers club tee shirt that won't fit me.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Uriel wrote: »
    Esports are bad and usually make the games worse

Well we have folks designing games specifically for esports versus an esports community growing organically around a good, competitive game. Classic case of putting the cart before the horse and then wondering why you ain't goin anywhere.

Edit: I was gonna jokingly recommend you cut each shirt along the seams and then sew them together to make a bigger shirt and then I realized that's just making a new worse shirt in the same size.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Don't take this the wrong way, but that was very much a part of the problem. Her ultimate was so impactful that you could merely instruct the Mercy player to hide until it was time to resurrect the entire team, and this in an of itself was typically enough to lock games even at high MMRs. So very frequently you didn't often need a good Mercy so much as you could get away with just having a Mercy. This led to a very common issue/complaint with Mercy players being boosted to significantly higher MMR levels than they really should have been at, leading to all sorts of other ripple issues including what kind of impact you can imagine this having on the team experience when players conditioned only to this type of play suddenly found themselves at a very high MMR and playing another character that required more traditional gameplay. (e.g. two Mercy players ending up in the same team)

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I do think there's something to be said about aiming changes at a limited pool of high-SR players that drastically affect the game for the other twenty thousand but the Mercy thing is prolly not the best example of that.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    I went to a new planet in Astroneer to find iron. There's no iron here. Tons of research though so i've set up a little science base that runs while i'm off looking for the iron that isn't here.

The in-game encyclopedia can tell you what planet has what resource.

Yeah the one i'm on has Hematite as the primary resource.

There's none here though.

Dig down.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Donnicton wrote: »

Don't take this the wrong way, but that was very much a part of the problem. Her ultimate was so impactful that you could merely instruct the Mercy player to hide until it was time to resurrect the entire team, and this in an of itself was typically enough to lock games even at high MMRs. So very frequently you didn't often need a good Mercy so much as you could get away with just having a Mercy. This led to a very common issue/complaint with Mercy players being boosted to significantly higher MMR levels than they really should have been at, leading to all sorts of other ripple issues including what kind of impact you can imagine this having on the team experience when players conditioned only to this type of play suddenly found themselves at a very high MMR and playing another character that required more traditional gameplay. (e.g. two Mercy players ending up in the same team)

sure, i get it. among many reasons why i stopped playing their game though. i'm glad other people enjoy overwatch but it's mechanics and design aren't for me anymore.

edit: though the thought of playing any blizzard game these days fills me with dread, which is crazy because like 3 years ago that was probably 90% of my gaming time.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Junkrat was pretty much my main, but I don't really remember why I fell off playing.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    og mercy ult went off the Dota ult rules and they cowarded out by not making more of the ults like that or making weaker skills/dumb ult

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OosC1E8TVM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2VRRSVgCL4

Path of Exile's major 4.0 expansion is Path of Exile 2, just announced at the game's first convention Exilecon.
    Overwatch 2 style sequel (but free), in that it's the same game, not a separate game or anything. It's a whole new 7-act campaign set 20 years after the events of PoE (although the original campaign will still be available to play if you want) with tons of new skills, a completely redone skill system, the addition of shapeshifting, a redone animation and graphics engine, and more. Since it's still the same game, you keep all your cosmetics and microtransactions.
    Coming sometime next year most likely. Next month's update, 3.9, will be followed by 3.10, 3.11, and 3.12 next year, with PoE 2 (FKA 4.0) going into beta after those.

Next month, December 13th, we get the 3.9 update, Conquerors of the Atlas, which redoes the endgame map system where our characters were the baddies the whole time lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSwqFwH0SiI

plus a new temporary challenge league, Metamorph, where you take parts of enemies and bosses and goop them together to make new Metamorph bosses
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f5Zbu4hXI4

Also PoE Mobile is in the works, though it's still pretty highly experimental. It, along with 3.9 and PoE 2, are playable at Exilecon right now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_YjBTYHhug

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    That's weird. The Xbox app only recognizes that I have PC Game Pass, not the Xbox Ultimate Pass deal. The Mícrosoft Store recognizes that I have Ultimate Pass.

Or maybe it's lying to me. On the MS Store, I can download Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate, on the Xbox app I can buy it for 50% off and only download the standard edition.

Eh, what do you expect for a buck?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Finished Yakuza 0. That game is so awesome, goddamn

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    That's weird. The Xbox app only recognizes that I have PC Game Pass, not the Xbox Ultimate Pass deal. The Mícrosoft Store recognizes that I have Ultimate Pass.

Or maybe it's lying to me. On the MS Store, I can download Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate, on the Xbox app I can buy it for 50% off and only download the standard edition.

Eh, what do you expect for a buck?

Game Pass Ultimate does not give you a better selection of PC games, it just also includes Xbox One games.

I'm pretty sure the install option in the MS store is also just for the standard edition.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah "Xbox Game Pass" and "Xbox PC Game Pass" are two separate things, and "Game Pass Ultimate" means you get both plus Xbox Live Gold.

It's confusing.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    One of the reasons I've stayed away from PoE is because it looks like there's a tremendous amount of interlocked systems going on in there, just a lot of stuff to learn, and I'm hesitant to commit to that.

Now I'm watching that gameplay trailer and they're like "But what if you want more gems? Then you socket a meta-gem, which has more gem slots", and I can't help but laugh and admire how they're just unreservedly going all-in on the baroque systems.

(Making the gems not be something that you need to socket into the items is really smart, though, so you can just pick up a new helm and put it right on without having to first do the song-and-dance of re-socketing the gems.)

• Options
    my experience with PoE was essentially getting far enough to open the skill tree, seeing that it was dozens of skills that said stuff like "boost your offhand polearm efficiency against insectoids by three percent", then uninstalling

• Options
    PoE seems like a game I'd really enjoy if I could get into it

but man is it difficult to

I have the same issue with it that I do with so many other games like it - the large amount of discussion over it I see is about builds and meta shit and it just turns me off immensely

it's not even anyone's fault! I just always feel like oh I'm not playing this game optimally

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Now, the author has in fact played way more Overwatch than I have, but I'm baffled that he's an Ana main

You know, the aiming main support they added so people would actually be willing to play support? I don't know who the "we" is, but it's definitely not the people who are playing Overwatch because the tank queue is always the shortest.

That's actually hilarious. "Overwatch is trending back towards twitch FPS, and that's bad!" <mostly plays the most twitch FPS healer in the game>

in fairness, those aren't technically incongruent views, and i would hope that a games journalist would be able to represent viewpoints other than their own in an article like this!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    one of the things that Diablo 3 gets right and every other ARPG I've played doesn't is that it is cool and fun within ten minutes of starting the game whereas the rest don't let you do rad shit until you've been playing for like six hours, or more

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    one of the things that Diablo 3 gets right and every other ARPG I've played doesn't is that it is cool and fun within ten minutes of starting the game whereas the rest don't let you do rad shit until you've been playing for like six hours, or more

I think Grim Dawn gets you to doing dope shit pretty quickly, but even then it's not quite as... tactile feeling as Diablo 3 is?

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    PoE subscribes to the ivory tower of character building

It is intentionally designed so that if you spend your points wrong, you make a bad character

It's the kind of game design that your asshole friend who wanted to play a beholder in dnd would design

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

It is intentionally designed so that if you spend your points wrong, you make a bad character

It's the kind of game design that your asshole friend who wanted to play a beholder in dnd would design

Play a beholder? As in as a player character?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »

Play a beholder? As in as a player character?

Yea, I'm saying its specifically built to cater to people who enjoy minmaxing and being better than people who dont take the time to plan a build

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    If there's one thing I like the most about Diablo 3

is that it made it REALLY EASY to switch your skills around if it wasn't working for you

Let me respec, god damn it

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Diablo III's combination of easy starting, flashiness, and just piles and piles of trash mobs makes it satisfying to just jam out for a session.

Action games that never let you just turbosmoke 20 dudes at once are doing it wrong.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Sure, I get that. I just never encountered someone who wanted to be a beholder. Or at least anyone who vocalized the desire, I guess. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Sure, I get that. I just never encountered someone who wanted to be a beholder. Or at least anyone who vocalized the desire, I guess. :)

I quit playing ttrpgs for a full decade because my local scene was full of rules lawyering dickwads

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

I quit playing ttrpgs for a full decade because my local scene was full of rules lawyering dickwads

You can play a beholder, but all but one of its eyestalks have been cut off. The remaining eye can only cast Wand of Wonder.
    The DM chooses the roll.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also Diablo 3’s skeleton murder is way up there in the rankings of games that let you murder skeletons.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Moriveth wrote: »

is that it made it REALLY EASY to switch your skills around if it wasn't working for you

I swear at some point in the development process for that game one person was just like "hang on why don't we just let people change their skills whenever they want" and everyone else in the room just looked at each other before scrambling out of their chairs to implement this obviously good idea

Shorty on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »

I swear at some point in the development process for that game one person was just like "hang on why don't we just let people change their skills whenever they want" and everyone else in the room just looked at each other before everyone just scrambled out of their chairs to implement this obviously good idea

The initial thrust of D4 going backwards on the skills front is just baffling to me

As is a lot of Blizzard at the moment, of course

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Man are they actually going back to skill points for D4

that is massively disappointing

• Options
    More like Diablo... Dour

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    If Diablo 3 had like, half of the Obviously Good polish changes it got in the first year at launch, it would be thought of as an all time great instead of just kinda still hanging around.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I dunno

The story is still really bad

This discussion has been closed.