As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Steam Holiday Sale on now!

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I am currently playing Witcher Enhanced Editon

I am only a few hours in. I am enjoying it.

But good lord are controls janky and there is not much in the way of tutorials. Just a pop up then "fuck you figure it out".

No regrets for playing this on easy. I cannot be arsed to fuck about with Alchemy.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I finished a run in the Kingmaker roguelite dlc.

It's a fun thing. But the dungeon design is pretty simple, and it is too nice with the amount of rests.

To finish it you need 5 runs. My first run was dungeon level 20, charlevel 12. I'm going to do another run, but I'm not sure I've got patience for 5. (I took about 7h for 20 floors, the final run to to the final floor is 50 pevels)

It is a significantly easier game when you make your whole own party.

And animal companions are OP. Which is why I took 3 (sylvan sorc, animal domain cleric, and druid). My druid almost entirely existed to buff them.

You need multiple people with max perception and at least one max trickery with trapfinding.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think I need to upgrade the RAM in my PC. Currently have 2x 4gb, plus 2 empty slots. Am I remembering right that you should have the same amount in each slot? And does it make any difference if you have 4x 4gb or 2x 8gb?

I built this thing for Skyrim's release and have forgotten everything since then.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I think I need to upgrade the RAM in my PC. Currently have 2x 4gb, plus 2 empty slots. Am I remembering right that you should have the same amount in each slot? And does it make any difference if you have 4x 4gb or 2x 8gb?

I built this thing for Skyrim's release and have forgotten everything since then.

I'd swing over to the PC Build Thread with your budget cause if your rig is that old you could really get a serious upgrade in all parts for not a ton of money.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    RAM rules as I know them

- All your ram is the speed of the slowest ram. This matters more in current years.
    - -Games perform better up to 3200mhz nowadays. Old processors/mobo may not support high speeds. This can be quite significant (20% fps gains between 2400 and 3200 if the system is not limited by the gpu)
    - Having 2 slots of Ram is significantly (10%) faster than having 1.
    - Having 4 slots is theoretically slower than 2, but usually less then 1%

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Thanks. I just ordered two sticks of 8gb.

And yeah I need to upgrade the whole thing, but that's not affordable right now. It's on my list.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Thanks. I just ordered two sticks of 8gb.

And yeah I need to upgrade the whole thing, but that's not affordable right now. It's on my list.

Did you make sure to get DDR3? A motherboard from 2011 won't be compatible with DDR4.

• Options
    Yeah I took a look inside before I bought anything

• Options

Just making sure, since no one else mentioned it.

I got a beta invite for the Halo collection. I had assumed Halo was an aim-down-sights shooter and was surprised to find out that it isn't. Which is a little weird since I've actually played Halo 2, but clearly I don't remember it at all.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I will need to make a thread about this at some point but I just got AI War 2. Arcen Games has honestly not had a ton of hits for me, basically just the original AI War. But what a fucking hit! It's so neat, and the new one is already proving to be a real improvement.

It's a super-large-scale RTS, where the majority of what you're deciding to do is to commit Fleet 1 to a certain place for X goal, and it has a wonderful system of overall enemy aggro that means that just trying to steamroll 100% of the map will inevitably get you killed so you need to plan on the fly about how if you hack this thing and you take this planet and then you fight here but just to get this one objective before retreating then you can manage to have xyz force take out this and etc. Also you can pause whenever to take in your options, helpfully presented on an Intel screen ranging from "Win the game by defeating the AI" to like "Gather the remaining resources at Planet X".

Also the new one does a surprisingly decent job of lots of neat little 3D-rendered spaceships, and fights being thousands of brightly colored lasers.

You can also tell the dev just had a blast coming up with alternate paths to victory. You can ally with mysterious Dyson Sphere building aliens, or a sentient computer virus, or cause a Nanoplague!

Arcen makes these flawed games with ambitious design and fantastic gameplay systems. They regularly swing for the fences, so it's not uncommon that I try one and feel it's not for me.

Bionic Dues, though, was all the way dialed in. Under its homely, donkey exterior is the beating stallion heart of a turn-based mech roguelike with loot and configuration for days.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

I got a beta invite for the Halo collection. I had assumed Halo was an aim-down-sights shooter and was surprised to find out that it isn't. Which is a little weird since I've actually played Halo 2, but clearly I don't remember it at all.

Wait, what is an aim down sights shooter and how is Halo not one? I'm pretty sure I spend 90% of the game ADS because I am fundamentally incompatible with hip fire, even with auto rifles.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Wait, what is an aim down sights shooter and how is Halo not one? I'm pretty sure I spend 90% of the game ADS because I am fundamentally incompatible with hip fire, even with auto rifles.

Halo never had real ADS (aside from, and arguably, scoped weapons like the pistol or sniper rifle) until Halo 5. It was fairly old-school in that regard, with power-ups, weapon pickups, and stuff in MP, in an age when Call of Duty was blowing things up.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    yeah I remember the halo pistol being ADS, but the rifle and energy weapons all functioned more like quake/UT weapons

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Aim down sights is when you are generally highly inaccurate unless you aim down the sights of your weapon, and aiming down the sights decreases your movement speed. In Halo, every weapon is accurate within its effective range while firing from the hip, even with sustained fire. Most weapons don't even have scopes, and those that do don't hinder your movement while you use them, and the scopes are less about an increase to accuracy and more about the zoom and the increase to your red reticule range.

• Options
    Ah, maybe I'm conflating my memories of Halo with Destiny, where every gun has a an ADS mode.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ah, maybe I'm conflating my memories of Halo with Destiny, where every gun has a an ADS mode.
    Makes sense, you did mention auto rifles in your post, which is only a Destiny term.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Makes sense, you did mention auto rifles in your post, which is only a Destiny term.

Didn't Halo 1 or 2 have an AR? Though IIRC it played more like Destiny's SMGs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular

They do but you don't ADS on them.

I don't think ADS for all weapons came in until Halo 5?

• Options

Halo does have an AR, but it's short for Assault Rifle.

• Options

Halo does have an AR, but it's short for Assault Rifle.

Get out of here with your words, that have meaning.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    are there any standup comedians who do exclusively videogame humour

"so I was playing a little game from BUNGIE the other day..."

[wait for audience applause, cheering]

"and how about that... destiny 2, amirite folks? patch much?"

[audience laughter]

"... So I'm playing with my bros, and some of them are old school and i'm like 'got a new AR' and they're like 'assault rifle...?' and then I say..."

[pause to let audience build anticipation]

"Nope! AUTORIFLE, NOOB!"

[audience roars in laughter, standing ovation, close up to man weeping because I have taught him to understand joy for the first time]

"Thanks you guys were great! My next set is from 9:40 to 9:45 on BYOB Tuesday! And remember: PWN THAT ASS! "

man I really want to take this vile shit on the road and ruin some open mic nights for everybody

Brolo on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    You ever grind in a game and your wife is like, hey, come have sex with me, but you're like, I find more fulfillment in a hollow loop of gameplay than I do the physical touch of another human?!?

• Options
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah, RE4 is the best game ever, that is true.

• Options
    Having played RE4 semi recently - that game holds up pretty well! It drags a little bit in some parts (namely the castle goes on FOREVER) but overall I had a really good time with it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Your right hand comes off?!?

• Options
    There's at least this old thing:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZsDUSxK5Fs

oh wow this is awful

also this guy kinda sounds like cartman?

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Ah, MC Chris. Was a big fan of his for a bit.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Your right hand comes off?!?

Leon's terrible comebacks are some of the best parts of that game

he's so fucking lame

Saddler, you're small time!

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

Until Alex Trebek killed nerdcore fucking dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38H1teUMOSw

• Options
    Zxerol wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »

Until Alex Trebek killed nerdcore fucking dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38H1teUMOSw

damn, trebek doesn't give a shit in his old age

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I've been seeing some Wheel of Fortune lately

Pat Sajak has also completely stopped giving a shit, with his bad jokes and pestering/kind of insulting the contestants

"I got this job for life, what are you gonna do?"

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    nerdcore has always been irretrievably corny

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The first mistake was calling it nerdcore and trying to silo it off into its own thing

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    The first mistake was calling it nerdcore and trying to silo it off into its own thing

no no, please keep it siloed off so we can all safely identify it for shunning

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    It also is kinda inherently racist

Rap is nerdy as shit a lot of the time!

The Wu-Tang Clan are a bunch of kung-fu movie nerds who rap about movies they like and throw in shit like Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man in their songs!

But they aren't white and also don't rap exclusively about nerd bullshit so it doesn't count

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    I will need to make a thread about this at some point but I just got AI War 2. Arcen Games has honestly not had a ton of hits for me, basically just the original AI War. But what a fucking hit! It's so neat, and the new one is already proving to be a real improvement.

It's a super-large-scale RTS, where the majority of what you're deciding to do is to commit Fleet 1 to a certain place for X goal, and it has a wonderful system of overall enemy aggro that means that just trying to steamroll 100% of the map will inevitably get you killed so you need to plan on the fly about how if you hack this thing and you take this planet and then you fight here but just to get this one objective before retreating then you can manage to have xyz force take out this and etc. Also you can pause whenever to take in your options, helpfully presented on an Intel screen ranging from "Win the game by defeating the AI" to like "Gather the remaining resources at Planet X".

Also the new one does a surprisingly decent job of lots of neat little 3D-rendered spaceships, and fights being thousands of brightly colored lasers.

You can also tell the dev just had a blast coming up with alternate paths to victory. You can ally with mysterious Dyson Sphere building aliens, or a sentient computer virus, or cause a Nanoplague!

Arcen makes these flawed games with ambitious design and fantastic gameplay systems. They regularly swing for the fences, so it's not uncommon that I try one and feel it's not for me.

Bionic Dues, though, was all the way dialed in. Under its homely, donkey exterior is the beating stallion heart of a turn-based mech roguelike with loot and configuration for days.

Bionic Dues was good as hell but pretty much totally inscrutable to me, systems-wise.

I bought AI War 2 on the first day of early access and still haven't fired it up. Guess I should do that this week.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    It also is kinda inherently racist

Rap is nerdy as shit a lot of the time!

The Wu-Tang Clan are a bunch of kung-fu movie nerds who rap about movies they like and throw in shit like Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man in their songs!

But they aren't white and also don't rap exclusively about nerd bullshit so it doesn't count

Shit, even Biggie knew he made it because he can afford both Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis.

• Options
    Nerdcore and chap hop can both go into the dumpster

• Options
    4EZLOG4.png

Everspace 2 is funded! Still a little bit of time left so they might get to one stretch goal, but that seems like it.

This discussion has been closed.