As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Posts Pertaining [Podcasts]

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Valve eats good talent as reliably as EA

Or Nintendo, but we don't talk about that

I honestly dont know enough about how nintendo works internally to know that

They're a fuckin dogshit company though

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    dota lore still out there trying to explain why a MOBA fight happens, league lore out there saying "you're playing a video game who gives a shit, you don't ask why ryu fights against fifty different chun lis"

This is essentially it. Dota's lore is concerned about the game with the lanes and the 5v5 and all of that. League's lore is more about Riot trying to create a multimedia IP.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it's extremely common in the gaming industry still to sign agreements where you have to run every personal project you do outside of work by the people in charge of the company. want to write a book? host a podcast? go fuck yourself, you do that only if we agree to it.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Valve wishes it could have laundered as much talent as EA has. Bullfrog, Origin, Lionhead, Maxis, Visceral, Westwood...

EA is a god damned studio serial killer.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Also, depending on how much you believe Jake Rodkin (and the overall Valve "Flat management" hype), they didn't "get stuck" onto these projects; they chose to work on them over working on ITVOTG.

I believe he's being charitable when he talks about deciding to work with the rest of Valve rather than on their own project and be a part of the studio at large

there was no way In the Valley of Gods was going to happen at Valve with their structure, there's too much internal pressure to be a team player and help out on what "we're" making instead of staying Campo Santo

I will not be surprised when this is the last time we ever heard In the Valley of Gods or Campo Santo mentioned

There's a reason I couched that sentence with "if you believe" as there's been a lot of talk that Valve's "work on what you want" isn't what it's cracked up to be. You still need to accept that Rodkin is lying to protect his job/employer in that case though.
    I would say it is less lying and more couching everything in vague non-committals that doesn't throw Valve under the bus

Which is

Extremely common in the game industry

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    it's extremely common in the gaming industry still to sign agreements where you have to run every personal project you do outside of work by the people in charge of the company. want to write a book? host a podcast? go fuck yourself, you do that only if we agree to it.

Yep

I have a friend who is developing a board game and works at a major studio and he had to go through a 3 months process to ensure he owned it and they didnt care

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Part of what I hate about Valve's libertarian bullshit is nothing is ever done

they can't say they're never gonna make In the Valley of Gods or Half-Life 3, because there's always potential they will, even though they won't

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    What is done is pitchforking money into a, I dunno, pit? Silo?

• Options
    edited December 2019

they can't say they're never gonna make In the Valley of Gods or Half-Life 3, because there's always potential they will, even though they won't

Honestly, that's the most damning thing about this announcement. It wasn't a "Hey, we're all hands on deck while get this new Half-Life game shipped, then we're back onto ITVOTG" like what happens at many game companies, it's "we might go back to it some day." which definitely doesn't sound like it's next on the menu.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    This'd sting a bit less if I could ACTUALLY PLAY THE FUCKIN HALF-LIFE GAME THEY'RE STUCK ON

Fuckin bougie ass peice of shit platform.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »
    This'd sting a bit less if I could ACTUALLY PLAY THE FUCKIN HALF-LIFE GAME THEY'RE STUCK ON

I would be very interested in a Campo Santo-developed Half Life game if it didn't cost a minimum of 1000 dollars to play it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Honestly, that's the most damning thing about this announcement. It wasn't a "Hey, we're all hands on deck while get this new Half-Life game shipped, then we're back onto ITVOTG" like what happens at many game companies, it's "we might go back to it some day." which definitely doesn't sound like it's next on the menu.

"we’ll find an exciting way to let fans know." is the most "oh that's dead" statement

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »

I would be very interested in a Campo Santo-developed Half Life game if it didn't cost a minimum of 1000 dollars to play it

Technically $400 for the Oculus Quest, which is still a fucking lot. (Assuming you already have a PC that would have run a non-VR modern half-life game)

• Options
    assuming doing a lot of work there

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The people who made the things I loved at Valve are all gone and the person who loved those things too

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

Valve wishes it could have laundered as much talent as EA has. Bullfrog, Origin, Lionhead, Maxis, Visceral, Westwood...

EA is a god damned studio serial killer.

we actually got games out of those studios after they were acquired.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    also Origin is one of those cases where you look at what some of the former heads are doing now in the era of crowdfunding and maybe kinda get why they got shitcanned.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    That was the best Bombcast in a long time

(The reason is because the Bombcast Aftermath is better than the Bombcast)

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Voice.mail.dumptrck.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Maddoc wrote: »
    That was the best Bombcast in a long time

(The reason is because the Bombcast Aftermath is better than the Bombcast)

It was fun watching the rest of the west crew find out what Ben and Jeff get up to when they're not there.
    Voice.mail.dumptrck.

Da na na na na na na

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCY0aeUx-Ns&feature=emb_title
    thinking about...how Blank Check is covering Stop Making Sense this weekend with Demi Adejuyigbe

I was already extremely excited for it and then Griffin saying on Punch up the Jam that all 4 of them had come to the conclusion of "is this the best movie...ever?" BEFORE they came to the recording shot my expectation into the atmosphere

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Stop Making Sense is a movie that I so abused as my "fall asleep" movie that my wife now only lets me put it on on my birthday, or on days of great personal triumph/failure

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    apparently austin walker is doing level synced extreme primals

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options

I feel like I've been activated.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Yep, I knew that Campo Santo news was coming the very moment they announced they were joining Valve.

What pisses me off is that Campo Santo expected their fans to believe that this wasn't going to happen when multiple interviewers asked them, "So, hey, is your game still gonna get released now?" and they told us not to worry about it. Either they were hopelessly naive (even at the time, Valve was notorious for hiring talented people and then doing shit-all with them), or they were lying through their teeth.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    It makes me wonder if Campo Santo wasn't in some sort of financial difficulty. Like, I think Firewatch sold well, but I guess I don't know for sure.

Looking it up, it sold 2.5 million copies by 2018, which is a lot, but also it was a $20 game. 2.5 x 20 x .7 (30% platform cut) around $35 million. It'd be less due to sales, but given they had around 12 employees, I would imagine it would be more than enough for their next game. Maybe they got in deep with the mob? :razz:

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    i don't doubt that the valve acquisition looks very good and promising to an indie dev from most any perspective, i don't know that you need a conspiracy theory

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    It makes me wonder if Campo Santo wasn't in some sort of financial difficulty. Like, I think Firewatch sold well, but I guess I don't know for sure.

Looking it up, it sold 2.5 million copies by 2018, which is a lot, but also it was a $20 game. 2.5 x 20 x .7 (30% platform cut) around $35 million. It'd be less due to sales, but given they had around 12 employees, I would imagine it would be more than enough for their next game. Maybe they got in deep with the mob? :razz:

Clearly they were given an offer they couldn't refuse.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Jon Gabrus is so good on this We Hate Movies
    He seems like he has good energy with literally everyone

• Options
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

I read that twitter discussion thinking he must have his terminology mixed up but I guess not? IDK the couple times I tried to do those with the DF it was a complete no go.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

He's coming to my town with his weed podcast High and Mighty. I kinda want to go even though I've never listened to it at all.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    in today's Shift F1, drew has the worst holiday trip and proves once again that he will definitely survive an apocalypse

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

He's coming to my town with his weed podcast High and Mighty. I kinda want to go even though I've never listened to it at all.

I've recently been working my way through it the back catalogue of it.
    It's decent. Hit and miss depending on the guest, but Gabrus is a really good host.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Noooo

Why do I have to fight this boss twice?

Also these voicemail things on the Bombcast are so awkward.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    A contract writer on In The Valley of the Gods (who was not hired by Valve for other projects) wrote about their time on the game and it makes its dissolution even more heartbreaking

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I just saw that thread and it murdered me.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    I just saw that thread and it murdered me.

That thread is very sad

But it ALSO has this very good Tweet

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    As someone who did a good chunk of research into Ozark folklore and history.

i can relate

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    The fact that they broke up that team to work on dota underlords, artifact, and a VR only half life prequel is absolutely fucking devastating

This discussion has been closed.