Options

Posts Pertaining [Podcasts]

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The context of the joke is a discussion of a shirt featuring two pigs fucking on it, Mr. Cabin says "are they under a sheet" Mr. Sajdak replies "they arent Jewish pigs"

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    My understanding is that the whole fucking through a hole in the sheet thing was a joke that started in the early days of Christianity and was making fun of trinitarianism and whatnot. "They fuck through a sheet," they said, "because it makes it easier for them to pretend they are fucking the Holy Ghost."

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Wasn't there an Upright Citizens Brigade sketch about a guy doing everything through the sheet

The joke was that doing things through a hole in a sheet makes anything okay, so he would eat pork through a hole in a sheet, smoke, etc

• Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    God damnit

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Gasp and shock

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    On hold within a coffin 6 feet underground

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Man

The Dota Underlords bit is what really makes that sting

Like Half-Life at least has some prestige and a narrative people like and some meat that Campo Santo could work with

But fucking Dota Autochess? Fuck you!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I just don't understand... like, business, I guess, or the game industry at all, but why... buy a studio like Campo Santo if you're gonna stick them on a Dota thing

Who do you think you're going to get to play Dota stuff by telling them Campo Santo worked on it, that wasn't going to play Dota already

Same question I guess for when smaller studios get bought and then completely shut down - what did the larger company get for that?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    labourers

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The thrill of violence the atavistic pleasure of destruction for its own sake

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Remember when Brad Muir used to be a frequent guest on Giantbomb and was always delightful and charming?

Then Valve ate him and he was never heard from again. RIP

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    as mister jeff gerstmann said, valve is a good place to work if you want to have a reliable paycheque, and a bad place to work if you want to make video games

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    So, there's a podcast about video games, How Did This Get Played. They thought it would be a fun Thanksgiving-themed episode to invite an indigenous guest to come talk about Custer's Revenge. Which... Yeesh.

The person they invited is a friend of mine. Instead of deleting the email, as I probably would have, he showed up. He called them out, and had a conversation about tokenizing, and about how this whole enterprise is actually rather fucked up. It's a tense, but rather incredible, listen. He has a Twitter thread about the whole situation here:

tl;dr: It was indeed messed up, but the hosts listened, took the conversation seriously, let him have final edit on the episode, let him write the show notes, and have made sincere promises to do better in the future. Best case scenario of a bad situation.

Op Ed from Joey Clift about this

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    It sounds like they'd lost a decent amount of narrative style folks - I know none of the original Half-Life writers are still there - and so they probably bought them with Half-Life: Alyx in mind

But the Valve ecosystem is such that if you don't join on with one of the major feudal lords working on some pet project, you don't have a job anymore, based on the Glassdoor reviews

And I doubt any of the big existing guys was gonna flock to a Campo Santo project, so all of them have to sort of split off for survival

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    Man

The Dota Underlords bit is what really makes that sting

Like Half-Life at least has some prestige and a narrative people like and some meat that Campo Santo could work with

But fucking Dota Autochess? Fuck you!

Both of which are a wild under-use of the art direction on the team since Half Life is more of a tech demo thing (every half life is) and both are already following an existing style/direction.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I just don't understand... like, business, I guess, or the game industry at all, but why... buy a studio like Campo Santo if you're gonna stick them on a Dota thing

Who do you think you're going to get to play Dota stuff by telling them Campo Santo worked on it, that wasn't going to play Dota already

Same question I guess for when smaller studios get bought and then completely shut down - what did the larger company get for that?

"You get to write Dota lore" was probably like, 95% of what it took to get a couple of them on board. I remember a lot of Dota talk on the old Idle Thumbs casts.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

They didn't? They hired a bunch of talented employees, of which some of them are working on DOTA and others are working on the next Half-Life game or Steam. The disappointment over ITVOTG getting put on hold non-withstanding, this isn't really that different from when they hired a bunch of digipen students to turn their tech demo into portal. Here they hired a bunch of devs who are known for narrative focused games and one of the things they're working on is the next entry in their narrative driven shooter franchise.

Also, depending on how much you believe Jake Rodkin (and the overall Valve "Flat management" hype), they didn't "get stuck" onto these projects; they chose to work on them over working on ITVOTG.

Usually the exploitation of whatever IPs they own until they are no longer viable (i.e. don't make enough money), then they can shitcan the company to fudge over making less money than they wanted so they can keep the shareholders happy.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I knew it I knew it I knew it

you can't put Sean Vanaman in a room with Dota and expect him to still work on an original project

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Dota has lore?

Honest question

• Options
    Dota has lore?

Honest question

https://dota2.gamepedia.com/Lore

• Options
    I would argue there is a difference between hiring students fresh out of Digipen, and distributing them through the company versus buying a studio right after a critically acclaimed, artistically bold release and quietly dissolving them from any new original projects after several years of no actual releases.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    I would argue there is a difference between hiring students fresh out of Digipen, and distributing them through the company versus buying a studio right after a critically acclaimed, artistically bold release and quietly dissolving them from any new original projects after several years of no actual releases.

I was speaking more in regards to the "why," not the overall weight and consequence of the action.

• Options
    every video game has Lore, nerds absolutely fucking eat up Lore, they consume Lore and scream howling at everything that seeks to change Lore

what dota does not have is Story

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What's worse dota lore or league lore

At least dota lore reminds me of data and his evil brother lore.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Also, depending on how much you believe Jake Rodkin (and the overall Valve "Flat management" hype), they didn't "get stuck" onto these projects; they chose to work on them over working on ITVOTG.

I believe he's being charitable when he talks about deciding to work with the rest of Valve rather than on their own project and be a part of the studio at large

there was no way In the Valley of Gods was going to happen at Valve with their structure, there's too much internal pressure to be a team player and help out on what "we're" making instead of staying Campo Santo

I will not be surprised when this is the last time we ever heard In the Valley of Gods or Campo Santo mentioned

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Yeah I absolutely buy Campo Santo being in a position where ItVotG was either not happening or going to become a Valve game rather than a Campo Santo game and they chose to pull the plug themselves

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Uriel wrote: »

i have the hot take that league lore is actually Good because they throw it out every 4 years once they're able to hire a better tier of writer who look at the mess the last group left and went "what the fuck is this, no, retcon everything"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

i have the hot take that league lore is actually Good because they throw it out every 4 years once they're able to hire a better tier of writer who look at the mess the last group left and went "what the fuck is this, no, retcon everything"

Yeah but it's still attached to a garbage video game

But the same can be said for all mobas

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    We can always hold out hope for Campo Santo pulling a Turtle Rock Studios and being allowed to leave after they did L4D1

But it sounds like it is probably too late for that

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Valve eats good talent as reliably as EA

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

I believe he's being charitable when he talks about deciding to work with the rest of Valve rather than on their own project and be a part of the studio at large

there was no way In the Valley of Gods was going to happen at Valve with their structure, there's too much internal pressure to be a team player and help out on what "we're" making instead of staying Campo Santo

I will not be surprised when this is the last time we ever heard In the Valley of Gods or Campo Santo mentioned

There's a reason I couched that sentence with "if you believe" as there's been a lot of talk that Valve's "work on what you want" isn't what it's cracked up to be. You still need to accept that Rodkin is lying to protect his job/employer in that case though.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    dota lore still out there trying to explain why a MOBA fight happens, league lore out there saying "you're playing a video game who gives a shit, you don't ask why ryu fights against fifty different chun lis"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Valve eats good talent as reliably as EA

Or Nintendo, but we don't talk about that

• Options
    I know Valve has done so much worse but this is the thing I hold most strongly against them

in one fell swoop they killed one of my favorite podcast networks and an extremely promising indie developer that made my favorite game of its year of release, and more or less silenced everyone that was a part of it, whose opinions and takes I really appreciated having

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    If ItVoGs ever comes back to the surface I'd not be surprised if it also got pushed into a VR only thing.

X22wmuF.jpg
This discussion has been closed.