As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Impeachment] Intel Cmte Report Released (OP-2) | Judiciary Hearings Begin (2019/12/04)

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Sounds like Nunes is trying to frame this as an HR issue, and they are trying to work around parlimentary procedures.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Seems we're now back?

Schiff wouldn't let Nunes yield his time for some reason?

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    The opening 45 minute portions are for ranking member + counsel only. Other reps are not recognized during this time.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Seems we're now back?

Schiff wouldn't let Nunes yield his time for some reason?

Nunes tried to yeild to the woman from New York from yesterday. But the specific rules set up for this investigation were 45 minute discussions with the ranking officer & their counsel only.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    People who call into C-Span can almost certainly be completely ignored. It'd be like going to Yahoo Answers for opinions on the impeachment.

"Now I'm not a fan of Trump" means they are very much a fan of Trump, I've noticed.

I wish I had a hearing aid that I could switch off immediately after I hear "I do wish he'd tweet less but..."

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    The 45 minutes is for Nunes or the council; he was trying to give the reins to the congresswoman from NY. Who btw, seems to be the one competent republican on this committee, so I don't know why Nunes just doesn't resign and put her in charge.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    The 45 minutes is for Nunes or the council; he was trying to give the reins to the congresswoman from NY. Who btw, seems to be the one competent republican on this committee, so I don't know why Nunes just doesn't resign and put her in charge.

Why wont a Republican man let a woman be in charge answers it's own question

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Slortex wrote: »
    Some clown called into C-Span's Democratic line regarding Marie Yovanovitch's career choice, insinuating she should be a financial advisor instead of an ambassador because she turned a 200,000 salary over 33 years into a net worth of over 6 million. Then said something about deep state operatives.

But... $200,000 x 33 = $6,600,000. Basic math is too much, I guess?

If she has over 6 mill in net worth with a lifetime earning of 6.6, then she lived like a monk or made some smart investments.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Vox Reporter with the Fox News clip

Wow. Fox News' Bret Baier says that Trump's tweets attacking Yovanovitch could be construed as witness intimidation and hence "adding essentially an article of impeachment in real time as this hearing is going on."

Nakedly partisan nutbag Ken Starr too.

Former independent counsel Ken Starr criticizes Trump's tweets attacking Yovanovitch: "I must say that the president was not advised by counsel in deciding to do this tweet. Extraordinarily poor judgment ... obviously I think this was quite injurious."

Even Fox realizes/understands that this is exactly what they didn't want. I also saw it noted by someone that yesterday, Trump retweeted a bunch of randos attacking Taylor and Kent, but didn't really say much (about them at least) himself, which is very different from today's attacks on Yovanovich.

The best part is that this is only going to get worse with Trump. They will bring in witnesses closer and closer to him and it will drive him more and more nuts and they will be trying to wrestle his phone from him after today but I don't see that lasting. Eventually he's gonna blow up on twitter again and we can repeat this whole scene.

• Options
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Some clown called into C-Span's Democratic line regarding Marie Yovanovitch's career choice, insinuating she should be a financial advisor instead of an ambassador because she turned a 200,000 salary over 33 years into a net worth of over 6 million. Then said something about deep state operatives.

If she has over 6 mill in net worth with a lifetime earning of 6.6, then she lived like a monk or made some smart investments.

It's so unbelievably immaterial as well.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    The republican Counsel seems unprepared and stumbles a lot. Is this my bias or is anyone else getting that feeling?

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Yahoo reporter

NEW: Mark Sandy will testify behind closed doors tomorrow.

He is a budget official pushed aside by Trump political appointees.

Still, he remained at intersection of domestic politics, foreign policy and foreign aid.

His testimony could prove critical.

This is a staffer for the OMB expected to testify specifically about how the Ukraine assistance was withheld and how/why it's normally done.

Cause this party don't stop even when it's the weekend, although I imagine it'll be pretty dry, all things considered.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    The republican Counsel seems unprepared and stumbles a lot. Is this my bias or is anyone else getting that feeling?

I got the impression from the opening that he was genuinely shook by her history and testimony so far... and further rattled by their game plan of going to the other rep was stopped.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »

I got the impression from the opening that he was genuinely shook by her history and testimony so far... and further rattled by their game plan of going to the other rep was stopped.

Nah. Nunes wanted Schiff to shut him down. You can already see it in the fever swamp. They're spreading BOTHSIDES, saying basically "Dems accuse Trump of bullying a female witness where she didn't even see it? Well here's Schiff refusing to let a female House member even talk at all!" Example from regular Fox News asshole.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular

Or just has a fairly standard 401k that she dutifully invested into. Maybe a house that appreciated and a small inheritance.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

Or a working spouse, or family money, or...

Also, Ambassadors only pay 3.5% of their salary as 'Official Residence Expenses' which is pretty cheap rent. They do have to pay a lot for most hosting and things, but she was mostly a working ambassador in active war zones rather than feting France

moniker on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Or she bought a house on DC decades ago that's paid off now

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Or her personal finances are completely irrelevant

• Options
    I greatly appreciate that the Ambassador is adding the context that the counsel is not providing, and thus undercuts the points he is trying to set up for.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    People who call into C-Span can almost certainly be completely ignored. It'd be like going to Yahoo Answers for opinions on the impeachment.

My boyfriend was watching Washington Journal one morning when Cher called in.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    At least Stone will be able to find work as a convict.

Campaign Manager Donald J. Trump for President 2016:

• Options
    I've been listening to the Republican counsel now for a long period of time, and I have no clue what they are trying to establish or state. Like, I get that he's trying to paint a picture and trap the Ambassador into saying certain things, but I just can't follow the thread.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I've been listening to the Republican counsel now for a long period of time, and I have no clue what they are trying to establish or state. Like, I get that he's trying to paint a picture and trap the Ambassador into saying certain things, but I just can't follow the thread.

It's basically gibberish. I don't know WTF they're trying to pull.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    PBS Correspondent:

I was wondering why he's leaning over in the camera. Is that allowed?

• Options
    PBS Correspondent:

THAT explains the weird pauses that I kept hearing! I was like.. what, is he getting fed questions?

• Options
    "A shock that social media would be the site of negative comments" -Republican Counsel, who laughed.

Oh yes, hilarious. What a laugh, social media, those rascals. You know, like the president

• Options

It's basically gibberish. I don't know WTF they're trying to pull.

They're trying to do a couple things. First, agree that corruption in Ukraine is a problem so that they can paint her dismissal as a reasonable action. Second, that Burisma is a valid avenue of investigation into corruption so that they can strengthen their calls to call Hunter Biden as a witness.

Basically, muddy the waters.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    He's implying that Manafort's being involved with the black ledger is somehow evidence of the Ukrainian government/media being unjustly biased against Trump. Basically "the lying corrupt media and the swamp" but for Ukraine.

And doing a very poor job of it, but it's not meant for people who can think critically.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    PBS Correspondent:

I mean, it's probably within the rules, but for anyone looking at full bit of recording for this will see how ridiculous it works.

I realize that the Pub's are mostly looking for real short sound bites, so maybe a wash?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular

Investing $3,000 per month for 33 years at 8% return yields $5.8 million.

The return for the S&P 500 for the last 30 years has been more like 10%, which would result in $9.2 million.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Wow the GOP lawyer has nothing

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Aiserou wrote: »
    He's implying that Manafort's being involved with the black ledger is somehow evidence of the Ukrainian government/media being unjustly biased against Trump. Basically "the lying corrupt media and the swamp" but for Ukraine.

And doing a very poor job of it's not meant for people who can think critically.

Fro what I gather a big part of their "Ukraine interfered in the election" story is Ukraine told people what a scumbag Manafort was

• Options
    Wow the GOP lawyer has nothing

He's trying to build the idea that Trump has been better for Ukrane than Obama.

Okay, opening is done. 5 minute rounds start.

• Options
    Pretty sure Nunes trying to give his time to Stefanik earlier was a deliberate scripted thing to try and make dems look bad. Nunes, in getting his 5 minutes said a few things and then asked Schiff all sarcastic like if he had permission to yield his time to Stefanik.

My eyes, they keep trying to roll out of my head.

• Options
    Nunes immediately yeilded to Rep. Stefanik (R-NY), who yelled over him to get started in her time with platitudes towards the ambassador before she goes for the throat.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Forgive my ignorance what’s with the huge poster boards behind the reps?

• Options
    Forgive my ignorance what’s with the huge poster boards behind the reps?

Trying to shape the conversation when the camera is on them.

One of them claims Schiff knows who the whistleblower is, and has known for 95 days.

On Wednesday, there was one claiming this was the start of a coup.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Beat me to it. That seems unprofessional as heck.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    My understanding is that Manafort was working for the pro-Russian side in the Ukraine, right?

So is it a stretch to say a lot of this comes back to Russia?

Does anyone know how Rudy’s buddies feel about Comrade Putin?

Doctor Detroit on
This discussion has been closed.