As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Impeachment] Intel Cmte Report Released (OP-2) | Judiciary Hearings Begin (2019/12/04)

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Forgive my ignorance what’s with the huge poster boards behind the reps?

It's a bunch of dumb stuff the republicans are trying to use to make this look like a sham.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Trying to shape the conversation when the camera is on them.

One of them claims Schiff knows who the whistleblower is, and has known for 95 days.

On Wednesday, there was one claiming this was the start of a coup.

Ok so why are they allowed there

• Options

Trying to shape the conversation when the camera is on them.

One of them claims Schiff knows who the whistleblower is, and has known for 95 days.

On Wednesday, there was one claiming this was the start of a coup.

Ok so why are they allowed there

I think it's one of those "there's no rule against this" kind of things.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    posterboard should be banned in the capitol building.

it's for the congress critters' own good.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Republican from Texas tries to show that no negative consequences have come to the Ambassador of this event.

He then yeilds to Rep. Tim Turner, who is reading in articles about the whistleblower agreeing to come in.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Wow the GOP lawyer has nothing

He's trying to build the idea that Trump has been better for Ukrane than Obama.

Okay, opening is done. 5 minute rounds start.

At the same time as Trump is trying to insist that Ukraine bent over backward to help Obama/Clinton.

gaslighting intensifies

• Options
    Oh my god that republican who just spent his entire time to put articles of Schiff saying the whistleblower would appear in the hearings.

I mean the republicans are certainly trying to live up to their statement of this being a drama, except it's them that are trying so hard to turn it into a shitshow.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

I've never seen a posterboard on either side that didn't lead to stupid places.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

Jesus man, the economy is looking bad enough and you want to cripple an entire industry?

• Options
    Ooh, good reply. The Democratic rep from Alabama is asking how this is affecting the Ambassador directly, and the attacks against her. Showing that while there hasn't been any hurt to her professionally, it's been very hard personally. Also, the Ambassador doesn't want to talk about how this is affecting her family.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    How did the R rep from NY do? From what I've heard from the last hearing, she was the only one who was semi-competent.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Republican from Texas tries to show that no negative consequences have come to the Ambassador of this event.

...aside from no longer being Ambassador to Ukraine?

• Options
    Heir wrote: »
    How did the R rep from NY do? From what I've heard from the last hearing, she was the only one who was semi-competent.

I don't think she has officially gone, she just used time yielded to her by Nunes to praise the ambassador and try to make Schiff look bad for interrupting her.

• Options
    Oh good Turner is talking again, who is a terrible jerk I have just learned.
    He asked a question, cut off the ambassador before she tried to explain in depth her answer. Got suspended by schiff so she could finish and he looked at her and said "Not on my time. You're done, right?"
    Schiff suspended him and let her finish but gah that's so infuriating to watch.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Mike Turner of Ohio tries to talk over the Ambassador to put words in her mouth. Schiff stopped him.

And now he's bringing up John Kerry and his campaign coming over in 2014 to meet with the ambassadors?
    I'm extremely confused?

Oooh. He tried to say Giuliani coming over was not unusual. What the fuck.

Athenor on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I've been listening to the Republican counsel now for a long period of time, and I have no clue what they are trying to establish or state. Like, I get that he's trying to paint a picture and trap the Ambassador into saying certain things, but I just can't follow the thread.

It's basically gibberish. I don't know WTF they're trying to pull.

Keep in mind that everyone on the GOP side is operating under strict instructions to never, at any point, imply Trump has made a mistake or done anything wrong.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    No, Rep. Turner....a private citizen working for another private citizen meeting with a foreign President is NOT the same thing as a private citizen working for a currently sitting United States President and doing foreign policy on his behalf.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Mike Turner of Ohio tries to talk over the Ambassador to put words in her mouth. Schiff stopped him.

And now he's bringing up John Kerry and his campaign coming over in 2014.
    I'm extremely confused?

He was trying to both sides that campaign aids talk to foreign nations or something like that. She was hesitant to give a response, particularly stating, paraphrased, "it would depend on the nature of the meeting"

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »

And now he's bringing up John Kerry and his campaign coming over in 2014.
    I'm extremely confused?

He was trying to both sides that campaign aids talk to foreign nations or something like that. She was hesitant to give a response, particularly stating, paraphrased, "it would depend on the nature of the meeting"

Like the difference between asking a bank teller to give you money after verifying your account with them versus drawing a gun. Both times you're just asking to make a withdrawal.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    My understanding is that Manafort was working for the pro-Russian side in the Ukraine, right?

So is it a stretch to say a lot of this comes back to Russia?

Does anyone know how Rudy’s buddies feel about Comrade Putin?

Not a stretch at all in fact!

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Oh my god John Kerry’s 2004 campaign is being asked about.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Why is Wenstrup rambling about his experience in Iraq?

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I want one of these witnesses to ask them "What the hell does Obama's Ukrainian policy have to do with Trump refusing to offer aid unless they investigated a political rival?"

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Why is Wenstrup rambling about his experience in Iraq?

He's setting himself up as an expert and military backer to show that Trump was doing the right thing in giving Javelins to Ukrane (or "the Ukrane" as he calls it).

Edit: He's also not letting her talk.

Athenor on
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    I'm reminded why I don't like listening to Republicans. Mr. Stewart is making my blood boil.

• Options
    Rep. Rick Stewart, Republican from Utah, again repeating that they are in year 4 of the impeachment. Saying that the Russian meddling is false.

Then asking her if she's aware of Trump taking bribes.

WTF?

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Fuck Christ Stewart. To snidely say "Welcome .. to year 4 of the impeachment proceedings, I'm sorry that you got dragged into this" to a woman who has just been explaining for hours that her reputation has been smeared for no good reason.

Edited for clarity, was typing quickly in anger.

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    And now Rep. Stewart is trying to justify investigating corruption in Burisma.

Edit: And he says he is yeilding to Jim Jordan!

Athenor on
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Pretty sure Nunes trying to give his time to Stefanik earlier was a deliberate scripted thing to try and make dems look bad. Nunes, in getting his 5 minutes said a few things and then asked Schiff all sarcastic like if he had permission to yield his time to Stefanik.

My eyes, they keep trying to roll out of my head.

That's exactly it - Fox's website is screaming about how awful the Democrats are for doing that right now.

• Options
    Am I missing something? They keep talking about yeilding to Jim Jordan, but the name tag says Mr. Turner?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Am I missing something? They keep talking about yeilding to Jim Jordan, but the name tag says Mr. Turner?

Haven't seen much of today's, but the camera angles can end up showing someone else's name plate in front of who's speaking.

• Options

If you mean the sign in front of him, they're sitting in a curved layout, so the cameras are catching nameplates of the person next to the one actually speaking.

• Options
    Fawst wrote: »

If you mean the sign in front of him, they're sitting in a curved layout, so the cameras are catching nameplates of the person next to the one actually speaking.

Okay. I was like.. I know Rep. Turner was talking earlier, but I wasn't sure. I'm just glancing at the screen every couple of minutes.

• Options
    Rep. Stefanik is now talking, and is now reading outloud all the things that were read into the record, pretty much blowing off the Ambassador.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    It was definitely Turner, I think procedure said go to Jordan then Jordan gave that time to Turner? But was def Turner.

Now the republicans are using Stefanik (R-NY) to enter 5 minutes of articles about Schiff+whistleblower bullshit.

• Options
    Oh great, here we go, Stefanik is up. Reading the quotes that Jordan was trying to get added to the record. Basically a bunch of quotes of Schiff saying that the whistleblower will be heard from soon. Guessing the point is that we haven't heard from them yet.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Yup. Definitely Turner, as Jordan looks very different and hasn't talked until now.. and wow is he using his time spectacularly.

Edit: ooh, and a planned rebuttal from Stalwell! Talking about executing the whistleblower.

Athenor on
  • Options
    Oh damn Swalwell bringing in his own unanimous consent articles about Trump calling for the whistleblower's execution.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    So is this more witness intimidation?

• Options
    So is this more witness intimidation?

I'm sure that's how they will spin it.

This discussion has been closed.