As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Noooooooooooooooo! :(

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I haven't watched the video yet, but I honestly don't know what comparison you can even possibly make between this and XIII

Like they might as well be two opposite points on the spectrum where on one end you have direct control of characters, and on the other end you essentially act as a combat "coach" and give them strategies to follow automatically.

As Brad mentioned, the general implementation of archetypes, and the stagger system which visually hews very closely to the same system and combat rhythms in XIII

Also if we're getting into minutiae, Masashi Hamauzu going apeshit in the background

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Okay, that makes more sense I guess

They're just so different from an actual gameplay perspective that it was a baffling thing to hear

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Jeff Gerstmann's Pro BMX XXX

PREMIUM EPISODE MAR 5

They're gonna show it!

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Jeff Gerstmann's Pro BMX XXX

PREMIUM EPISODE MAR 5

They're gonna show it!

I guess they found an age gate solution?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA8SoRsg2Lg

I gotta say, it's the most Brad thing ever to miss the tutorial tip that holding the attack button does something different than pressing it repeatedly (holding it does spinning AOE type attacks and pressing it does direct attacks). Anyway, excited to see how positive they were on it. It definitely looks great. Can't wait to play it <3

My opinion sits somewhere between Brad's and Jeff's enthusiasm - the combat looks like a refocused version of XIII's which I seriously dig and they seem to have done an incredible job of recontextualizing Final Fantasy VII, a favourite JRPG of mine, for a modern audience.

But the writing also seems much sillier spoken out loud by an English dub cast, and the looming question remains of how long people will have to wait to see the story to its completion.
    The last time we saw a major release split up into multiple parts like this, Starcraft II took the better part of a decade. :P

Solution: Play with the Japanese VO.
    Tho I gotta say, I was digging Barrett cutting a wrestling promo in the elevator. I love how over the top he is, lol. And Jessie is sweeter than ever <3

oh god please tell me playing with japanese VO and subtitles is an option, I thought for sure it wouldn't be

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA8SoRsg2Lg

I gotta say, it's the most Brad thing ever to miss the tutorial tip that holding the attack button does something different than pressing it repeatedly (holding it does spinning AOE type attacks and pressing it does direct attacks). Anyway, excited to see how positive they were on it. It definitely looks great. Can't wait to play it <3

My opinion sits somewhere between Brad's and Jeff's enthusiasm - the combat looks like a refocused version of XIII's which I seriously dig and they seem to have done an incredible job of recontextualizing Final Fantasy VII, a favourite JRPG of mine, for a modern audience.

But the writing also seems much sillier spoken out loud by an English dub cast, and the looming question remains of how long people will have to wait to see the story to its completion.
    The last time we saw a major release split up into multiple parts like this, Starcraft II took the better part of a decade. :P

Solution: Play with the Japanese VO.
    Tho I gotta say, I was digging Barrett cutting a wrestling promo in the elevator. I love how over the top he is, lol. And Jessie is sweeter than ever <3

oh god please tell me playing with japanese VO and subtitles is an option, I thought for sure it wouldn't be

Not in the demo, maybe in the full release?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Man, Jeff Gerstmann blowing up and calling people dumb motherfuckers for thinking there would be a PS5 announcement on March 3rd because they stopped Matt Rorie from saying a thing. Lol.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Man, Jeff Gerstmann blowing up and calling people dumb motherfuckers for thinking there would be a PS5 announcement on March 3rd because they stopped Matt Rorie from saying a thing. Lol.

Hahah yeah, I was confused why that set him off so much.

• Options
    Also, man, it's great to see how bullish they all are on FF7R. And Ben's confusion about what sort of character Cloud is was fun. Playing the demo reminded me of how fun he was as a kind of distant sarcastic dork who's a bit of an asshole. "Should've asked for more" "Get help" etc

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

this was the best thing on the pod, loved it

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Playdate: Warframe and Wine (03/06/2020)

PREMIUM LIVE SHOW TOMORROW

Guessing this is the Mahardy farewell stream.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Can't believe he's going to go out like that....trying to fight a bear and a wolf at the same time. What an exit interview.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

Fuck these always drop right at the beginning of my work days. I'm so salty

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

I have a really similar rant about warframe that most of GB has, but I'll shorten it to this:

It's a really fun game! I have no idea what to do or whats going on in the slightest! I have 137 hours in this game just in steam! Hundreds of hours total! It is the civilization 6 of shooters. You play for tons of hours and can win and you have no idea how any of the systems interact or work.

If you haven't been playing this game the whole time to keep track of whats going on, you just feel like a golden retriever hanging out on the court while a NBA game is going on. Bad example because of Air Bud, but lets just assume its an untrained dog with no attention span.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

I have a really similar rant about warframe that most of GB has, but I'll shorten it to this:

It's a really fun game! I have no idea what to do or whats going on in the slightest! I have 137 hours in this game just in steam! Hundreds of hours total! It is the civilization 6 of shooters. You play for tons of hours and can win and you have no idea how any of the systems interact or work.

If you haven't been playing this game the whole time to keep track of whats going on, you just feel like a golden retriever hanging out on the court while a NBA game is going on. Bad example because of Air Bud, but lets just assume its an untrained dog with no attention span.

Vinny had the best description of the game a during a playdate back in 03-13-2019 (49:20 into it) where he likened the game design philosophy to that of a child trying to explain their drawing. Made me laugh.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The entire time James Vega was on screen the chat was listing MST3K Space Mutiny nicknames.

• Options
    That dude should have just been named Beef.

• Options
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I'm surprised there have been no comments about Mike Mahardy's Baby Moon "impression" from last week's Beastcast. The reaction from everyone else was great.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    We all thought it couldn't get worse than Matt Rorie's fussy baby, we were wrong, let's never speak of it again.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I'm surprised there have been no comments about Mike Mahardy's Baby Moon "impression" from last week's Beastcast. The reaction from everyone else was great.

It was hilarious and awful

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

I like that the divisions are Sitcom, Drama,Cartoon and Game Show, but it feels like so many shows are missing.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    pairing Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul in the first round is some bullshit

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

If its going to happen eventually, why not force it early?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

If its going to happen eventually, why not force it early?

because the anticipation of the different matchups is half the fun! getting them out of the way in the first round feels kind of anti-climactic

i'm also not sure i love dividing them by genre until the very end either, but i guess that's down to personal taste

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    You can buy an item from the Funky Shop to shuffle the bracket.
    But only if you can guess the number Dan's thinking

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    You can buy an item from the Funky Shop to shuffle the bracket.
    But only if you can guess the number Dan's thinking

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Is it weird that I immediately noticed that most of those sitcoms match up are black people vs white people?

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Dan is on the New Day podcast to settle an incredibly stupid argument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVkOM8xefVw

Man, we're through the looking glass when Dan gets brought in for Corrections.

• Options
    Kelor wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Dan is on the New Day podcast to settle an incredibly stupid argument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVkOM8xefVw

Man, we're through the looking glass when Dan gets brought in for Corrections.

And then he's right

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Wait, was Mass Alex 1 and 2 a livestream feature, or pre-recorded? Because I just got to the bit in Episode 1 of Mass Alex 3 where he basically says "Should I autolevel my squad? I don't want to take too much time here", which makes me feel like he's falling into that trap of playing for the audience and not himself.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Mahardy has been my favorite GB or GB adjacent person since he first appeared, I'll miss him being on the show.

:'(

*pours out chianti*

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Wait, was Mass Alex 1 and 2 a livestream feature, or pre-recorded? Because I just got to the bit in Episode 1 of Mass Alex 3 where he basically says "Should I autolevel my squad? I don't want to take too much time here", which makes me feel like he's falling into that trap of playing for the audience and not himself.

Pre recorded edit: woops live! . It's just the usual problem of playing an RPG (kinda) in front of an audience.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Mass akex 1 and 2 were prerecorded. Mass Alex 3 ep1 was live.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

i always find this sentiment funny because like, no really dig into those menus that's one of the things i like about the game! i'd love to hear vinny and alex debate the merits of various skills for 5 minutes before picking them.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    alex doesn't give a fuck, he auto-leveled his buddies in 1 and 2 as well

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    i always find this sentiment funny because like, no really dig into those menus that's one of the things i like about the game! i'd love to hear vinny and alex debate the merits of various skills for 5 minutes before picking them.
    Same. On a similar note, it's why I'm not on board with the whole "well it's a Quick Look / Live Show, we can't afford to take 5 seconds to read a prompt".
    Like, no, please do, not only because it will make the next few minutes less awkward to watch, but also because I am curious how the game is supposed to be played, not how a game is played by a cat batting the controller around. I'd be listening to a podcast if I didn't care about the game.

This discussion has been closed.