As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ghostbusters: Negative Fear Response to Spectral Apparitions, Guarrenteed

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I want to imagine it was Biden asking for that song because he likes Ghostbusters 2.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    So a promo shot confirmed the existence of a new type of ghost trap in Ghostbusters Afterlife.
    A new toy shows how it will be deployed (photo in spoiler).
    My inner 10-year-old loves the fuck out of it.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    o9bhjijvosli.jpg
    Some kind of new Ghostbusters/Transformers announcement tomorrow (Friday 13th, spooooky)!

Will they announce a distressed EctoTron with Afterlife weathering? Another new mashup character? We don't know!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    o9bhjijvosli.jpg
    Some kind of new Ghostbusters/Transformers announcement tomorrow (Friday 13th, spooooky)!

Will they announce a distressed EctoTron with Afterlife weathering? Another new mashup character? We don't know!

Got it in one
    Hasbro announced a new Ecto-1 inspired Transformers figure based on the design of the iconic Ghostbusters vehicle in the upcoming Ghostbusters: Afterlife. The new Afterlife version of Ectotron, the ghost-busting Autobot, includes a Slimer and Masher ghost figures, as well as a "Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron" comic by IDW Publishing.

This isn't the first version of Ectotron released by Hasbro: an earlier version was based on the design from the 1984 original movie. The updated version for Afterlife features a new head-sculpt with "updated Ecto-Goggles" inspired by the movie. Ectotron's specs have also been updated for the new movie, to highlight his "strength, speed, and bust-abilty."

New headsculpt, wearing the goggles, an extra ghost figure and a comic, all for $50, exclusive to Target.

Hard pass.

• Options
    Well I never bought the original and at least it's not a Wal-Mart exclusive. I'll think about it.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRjMtKHvEKk

Here's something I've never seen before. It's a "promotional pilot" for The Real Ghostbusters that's basically a demo reel to try and sell the show to networks. It's interesting to see what elements carried over into the actual cartoon's intro sequence.

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    "Give each hero specific colours like the Ninja Turtles" is an obvious studio note.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    A fan named Robert "Bobby 80s" Barbieri found an actual promo reel with that test-pilot on it a few years back and they did a great restoration job on it.
    https://youtu.be/fQL4CFuz62I

edit: I had that Magic Window VHS of Knock Knock and it is still my very favorite episode. Michael J. Straczynski and the writing team that lead season one had an ethos that any story they came up with should be able to work as a potential sequel film to Ghostbusters. That episode in-particular is a strong example of that ethos.

7ONScic.jpg

Also the cover art they used is iconic as hell. I'm pretty sure I had a TV tray and a puzzle with the same image.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    A fan named Robert "Bobby 80s" Barbieri found an actual promo reel with that test-pilot on it a few years back and they did a great restoration job on it.
    https://youtu.be/fQL4CFuz62I

edit: I had that Magic Window VHS of Knock Knock and it is still my very favorite episode. Michael J. Straczynski and the writing team that lead season one had an ethos that any story they came up with should be able to work as a potential sequel film to Ghostbusters. That episode in-particular is a strong example of that ethos.

7ONScic.jpg

Also the cover art they used is iconic as hell. I'm pretty sure I had a TV tray and a puzzle with the same image.

I remember this picture!!! Holy shit, blast from the past right here.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Now I want to see what the quality on my TIME-LIFE boxset for the promotional video looks like compared to that...

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    "Give each hero specific colours like the Ninja Turtles" is an obvious studio note.

it's always been easy to assume that slimer's jump from antagonistic force to mascot was for toy reasons but it's still nice to see the pitch reel confirm it

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Any of you GB nerds want the complete Ghostbusters board game set, 1 and 2 with all the stretch goals and expansions?

It's pay what you want plus shipping.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Any of you GB nerds want the complete Ghostbusters board game set, 1 and 2 with all the stretch goals and expansions?

I have the Kickstarter sets of both, but the second one is still in plastic and I didn't get the expansions. Is this you selling yours or is Cryptozoic having some kind of fire sale?

• Options

I have the Kickstarter sets of both, but the second one is still in plastic and I didn't get the expansions. Is this you selling yours or is Cryptozoic having some kind of fire sale?

Nah just me selling mine.

• Options

Nah just me selling mine.

You could most-likely find a buyer quickly through this Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GhostbustersInc.GhostBSTersMarket

• Options
    i'm not going anywhere near a facebook anything

• Options
    i'm not going anywhere near a facebook anything

Could you PM me a screen shot of both orders as to what you got? I got my original copies second hand so no stretch goals.

• Options
    Word from Jason Reitman is that Ghostbusters Afterlife is complete. Music, effects, and editing are complete.

Hopefully we'll see it in June!

• Options
    Rewatching Ghostbusters and I have a few thoughts.

1. Good pick for the opening haunting being in a public library. The claustrophobic, maze like bookshelves help make that seen really tense.

2. Louis Tully, who becomes the Keymaster, spends the majority of his time before that in this movie being locked out of places, trying to get in.

3. I wonder if Louis also had a weird haunting where he was chosen as the host for Vince Clotho, and he just never told anyone about it.

4. Louis must be a really good accountant if he invited his clients (of which he definitely has a lot) to party and they actually showed up.

5. I wonder how the Terror Dog got down to the ground floor. Did he just ghost down there, or did he run all the way down the stairs. (Or maybe he waited for another elevator :razz:)

6. Pete Venkman spends the entire movie being unprofessional sleaze, until he finds Dana possessed, at which point he immediately declines all of her advances and uses his psychiatric training to try and treat Dana. Like he goes from Dirtbag to Professional in like an instant.

7. Though that does beg the age old question, why did he have 300cc's of Thorazine. (Which is a lot for a drug that has dosages measured in tens or hundreds of miligrams, probably super lethal to anyone not possessed by a ghost.)

7. During Vince Clortho's interview, Janine goes to make coffee.. apparently by lighting some kind of gas flame underneath a coffee pot suspended by thin metal frame. Was that common back in the 80's or is this supposed to be some kind of coffee pot cobbled together by a group of ramshackle scientists? They use a normal pot with a burner later in the movie.

• Options
    I always noted the thorazine line because 300 ccs (or 300 mLs) is just so much actual liquid to inject.

Then I went to nursing undergrad and anesthesia grad school and boy it's even more wrong.

Never noticed the Louis being locked out of stuff to become the Key master, that's a great catch!

• Options
    edited December 2020
    The latest comic arc (Ghostbusters Year One) answers the thorazine question by establishing that Dana had a prescription for her hiccups.

Obviously this was Erik Burnham looking for a less damming justification, but that is a ton of high potency tranquilizer to have in your medicine cabinet. Still, I applaud the research.

The original line was almost certainly an Aykroydism after looking up names of powerful tranquilizers and coming up with a big number for effect.

As for Venkman, it's believable to me that the guy is one of those dogs who loves the "chase" but once the woman he was trying to seduce started throwing herself at him it wasn't a game anymore because something was clearly wrong. The dynamic has changed and he's clearly uncomfortable. He's sleazy but he does really like Dana and there's notable chemistry which is the only thing that makes his character bearable.

The fact that he apparently gets bored with the relationship and the two break up by Ghostbusters 2 with enough time to have an infant with another man supports my theory that Peter likes the pursuit too much to be trusted in a committed relationship. He certainly tries to change in GB2 and has actual character development, but the video game and comics establish that he and Dana do not stay together afterwards.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Venkman is a disgusting creep.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Rewatching Ghostbusters and I have a few thoughts.

1. Good pick for the opening haunting being in a public library. The claustrophobic, maze like bookshelves help make that seen really tense.

2. Louis Tully, who becomes the Keymaster, spends the majority of his time before that in this movie being locked out of places, trying to get in.

3. I wonder if Louis also had a weird haunting where he was chosen as the host for Vince Clotho, and he just never told anyone about it.

4. Louis must be a really good accountant if he invited his clients (of which he definitely has a lot) to party and they actually showed up.

5. I wonder how the Terror Dog got down to the ground floor. Did he just ghost down there, or did he run all the way down the stairs. (Or maybe he waited for another elevator :razz:)

6. Pete Venkman spends the entire movie being unprofessional sleaze, until he finds Dana possessed, at which point he immediately declines all of her advances and uses his psychiatric training to try and treat Dana. Like he goes from Dirtbag to Professional in like an instant.

7. Though that does beg the age old question, why did he have 300cc's of Thorazine. (Which is a lot for a drug that has dosages measured in tens or hundreds of miligrams, probably super lethal to anyone not possessed by a ghost.)

7. During Vince Clortho's interview, Janine goes to make coffee.. apparently by lighting some kind of gas flame underneath a coffee pot suspended by thin metal frame. Was that common back in the 80's or is this supposed to be some kind of coffee pot cobbled together by a group of ramshackle scientists? They use a normal pot with a burner later in the movie.

I think the sedative was just "we need to have the character sedated" and they didn't think about the plot hole about how or why he would have it, and they didn't him to leave to get it and come back.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Ghostbusters definitely has a lot of weirdness stemming from being a standalone movie by improv comics that morphed into a sci-fantasy action franchise

• Options
    Ghostbusters definitely has a lot of weirdness stemming from being a standalone movie by improv comics that morphed into a sci-fantasy action franchise

Lots of that had to do with Aykroyd's high-concept writing, Ramis's successful ability to reel that into something coherent and filmable, and Murray's total refusal to do more than skim the script while giving away lines to other characters if he thought it felt better.

• Options
    The confluence of stuff that lead to Ghostbusters becoming the pop culture juggernaut that it is was be kinda improbable if it didn't stem from very talented people making very good decisions.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    The coffee pot thing is I believe supposed to be a coffee siphon setup using chemisry equipment which isn't too uncommon among nerds.

Another example of it is on breaking bad but that setup was more elaborate looking for the sake of aesthetics and maybe temperature management.
    wudswzrn2ood.jpg

• Options

Most people whose opinion I've asked of this were under the impression he absolutely had sex with her THEN drugged her into unconsciousness. It isn't really stated either way in the film. All you know is that his clothes are in disarray in the next scene which could have been caused by either raping her or just struggling to give her a massive amount of the drug.

• Options
    edited December 2020

Most people whose opinion I've asked of this were under the impression he absolutely had sex with her THEN drugged her into unconsciousness. It isn't really stated either way in the film. All you know is that his clothes are in disarray in the next scene which could have been caused by either raping her or just struggling to give her a massive amount of the drug.

I don't think that rape read tracks. If he was going to take advantage of her, he would have just done that; he wouldn't have immediately jumped to the "I want to talk to Dana, can I please speak with Dana" psychology stuff if he was just intending on boning her. That was what struck me about the scene, he immediately shuts off his dirtbagness instead of doing what you'd expect a dirtbag to do in that situation.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    That take sounds absolutely monstrous and I am glad I have not heard it until now.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    It... Isn't totally out of line with other comedies of the era? So I could see someone reading it like that even if I don't but I have a vast amount of affection for the movie so I'm not exactly unbiased.

• Options

I don't think that rape read tracks. If he was going to take advantage of her, he would have just done that; he wouldn't have immediately jumped to the "I want to talk to Dana, can I please speak with Dana" psychology stuff if he was just intending on boning her. That was what struck me about the scene, he immediately shuts off his dirtbagness instead of doing what you'd expect a dirtbag to do in that situation.

Sure it does; he tries talking to dana (i don't think "tries psychology stuff" works here at all), she's not there and Gatekeeper wants to fuck just like Venkman has the entire film. So he does.

• Options
    That take sounds absolutely monstrous and I am glad I have not heard it until now.

Wow, seriously? Dang I hope I'm wrong about it then. That's what immediately occurred to me when I saw it first.

• Options
    Venkman is a sleaze. I don't wanna make any apologies for the things he explicitly does in the movie. Taking advantage of Jennifer in his first scene in order for her (a student) to go on a date with him (a professor) is scumbag behavior and that's why it's funny when his chances get torpedoed when Ray interrupts their moment. I take solace in assuming that because they were fired the same day, that date never happened.

With Dana, he's trying to put on the charm from the start, even though she's not buying into his bullshit, but he doesn't lie to or mislead her. After bullshitting around with the sniffer in her apartment and actually looking into her claim he makes a declaration to "prove himself to her" and after that takes her case as seriously as possible (within his margins for what seriousness actually entails). Every time he tries to butter her up, like when he tries to compliment her music, she calls him out ("Oh you're good, most people wouldn't be able to hear me with a whole orchestra playing") but clearly still leaves the door cracked for him to keep trying. I also buy that he legitimately respects and cares about Dana, and is afraid for her when she's in trouble.

He's disheveled because a he got done restraining a floating/possessed woman and drugging her until she finally fell unconscious after an irresponsible amount of tranquilizer.

He risks his life to save her and the rest of New York when lesser would-be conmen would have bounced. The development there is subtextual at best and accidental at least but it's how I've come to see it. Feel free to accuse me of rationalizing.

The only characters who have any sexual contact in the whole movie are Ray and the ghost lady in the montage/dream and Vinz Clortho and Zuul in the bodies of Louis and Dana respectively.

• Options

He's disheveled because a he got done restraining a floating/possessed woman and drugging her until she finally fell unconscious after an irresponsible amount of tranquilizer.

The only characters who have any sexual contact in the whole movie are Ray and the ghost lady in the montage/dream and Vinz Clortho and Zuul in the bodies of Louis and Dana respectively.

That's not how the scene has ever read for me but I honestly hope it's exactly how you say. I mean there's just as much indication Louis and Dana had sex as there is that Venkman and Dana did. Everybody still has clothes on; they're just messy. When I was little I just figured Vinz and Zuul just had to do some smoochin' to get stuff started and then they took a nap.

• Options
    I've never ever read that scene as he rapes Dana.