As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Everything I'm hearing about Hunters is just eye rolling, taking a simple premise that you just lightly Tarantino around the edges for style and you're good to go, but it's slow and has too much self importance going on, like someone trying to copy The Boys only thinking they get more prestige because it's based on real events (and people already know about Operation Paperclip).

Makes me wish they would just flat out rip off Silver Sable and go full on hammy.

Yeah, I bounced of it hard. Doesn’t help that the actors are doing a terrible job - especially Oscar nominee Carol Kane.

It's a tonal mess, too. It's trying to do too much and be too relevant while still being fun and cool, and it's kind of windy narratively. So many shows like this could be much tighter 6 hour miniseries. It's a shame. With the exception of the "main" character who is a terrible block of soap, I really like everyone else in it, and I fully and completely support what they are trying to do, but it's just not Boys From Brazil at all. Heck, it's not even Foxy Brown meets Marathon Man.

I haven't finished it quite yet, so I don't want to be too negative, but I wish I liked it more. Jordan Peele has made some really great films, but his production work so far has been not so great (see the Twilight Zone revive on CBS).

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Fantastic, another row of shows to re-re-re-repeat the "what's popular", "what's new", "recently watched", and "suggested for you" headings. Dozens of thumbnails, but only ten different shows, forever.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Fantastic, another row of shows to re-re-re-repeat the "what's popular", "what's new", "recently watched", and "suggested for you" headings. Dozens of thumbnails, but only ten different shows, forever.

I wonder if I reset my profile if I'll finally get new stuff on these lists?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

I wonder if I reset my profile if I'll finally get new stuff on these lists?

They should have a top ten for stuff you can't watch but is available in a random different region. At least that would be some new info, even if it would just piss people off to see that Canada has Back to the Future part one and two while America only gets part three.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I liked season 1 of Fleabag well enough, but god damn season 2 was fantastic. Blew through the whole season in one sitting (not too hard with UK shows). Shame that it doesn't seem like there's going to be a season 3.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Somehow missed season 2 of Killing Eve going up on Hulu. We are liking it almost as much as the first season.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Just finished S1 of Dark and I really liked it. The build up is kind of slow, but the atmosphere is just there. Everything feels wrong in the right kind of way.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Prime separated out Prime vs Channels. Hooray for whoever figured that out and made it happen!

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/love-simon-series-hulu-disney-plus-1203513219/
    The planned “Love, Simon” TV series is on the move.

The show was originally set to air on Disney Plus but will now launch on Hulu instead. In addition, it will now be titled “Love, Victor.” It focuses on Victor (Michael Cimino), a new student at Creekwood High School — the same high school as the movie — on his own journey of self-discovery, facing challenges at home, adjusting to a new city, and struggling with his sexual orientation.

The 10-episode first season will debut on Hulu in June, which is Pride Month. According to an individual with knowledge of the situation, Hulu has opened a writers’ room to begin fleshing out a potential second season. Sources also note that Disney felt many issues explored on the show, including alcohol use and sexual exploration, would not fit in with the family-friendly content on Disney Plus. Hulu, meanwhile, is home to a number of young adult shows like “PEN15” and “Looking for Alaska.”
    Murder? A OK

The gay? No bueno

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Michael Cimino?

The director of The Deer Hunter and Heaven’s Gate?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Just finished S1 of Dark and I really liked it. The build up is kind of slow, but the atmosphere is just there. Everything feels wrong in the right kind of way.

Season 2 really kicks it into high gear

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

The show was originally set to air on Disney Plus but will now launch on Hulu instead. In addition, it will now be titled “Love, Victor.” It focuses on Victor (Michael Cimino), a new student at Creekwood High School — the same high school as the movie — on his own journey of self-discovery, facing challenges at home, adjusting to a new city, and struggling with his sexual orientation.

The 10-episode first season will debut on Hulu in June, which is Pride Month. According to an individual with knowledge of the situation, Hulu has opened a writers’ room to begin fleshing out a potential second season. Sources also note that Disney felt many issues explored on the show, including alcohol use and sexual exploration, would not fit in with the family-friendly content on Disney Plus. Hulu, meanwhile, is home to a number of young adult shows like “PEN15” and “Looking for Alaska.”
    Murder? A OK

The gay? No bueno

Disney.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    I liked season 1 of Fleabag well enough, but god damn season 2 was fantastic. Blew through the whole season in one sitting (not too hard with UK shows). Shame that it doesn't seem like there's going to be a season 3.

Right? Season 2 is one of those a seasons of TV that i wish i could forget just so i could experience it again.
    They did a much better job in that season of making each character feel interesting and unique, rather than just archetypes for her to bounce off of.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Starting S5 of The Wire and just have this to say: WTF, McNulty?

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »

Are you sure you didn't accidentally put on End of Evangelion?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

This will be a running theme.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Murder? A OK

The gay? No bueno

Disney also wants to sell shit to people who don't like gays.

There's still plenty of people who don't want to expose their children to "the gay", whereas violent media and various reactions to it are already just baked in to how all media is made at this point.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Disney + unsubbed for now until the slate of Marvel shows and Mando season 2 come out.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Disney+ has Runaways, which is...pretty queer.

Anyway, I got it for Clone Wars season 7. Watching Mandalorian and Resistance as I wait for new eps. Doubt I'll hold onto the sub after Clone Wars finishes.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Disney+ has Runaways, which is...pretty queer.

Anyway, I got it for Clone Wars season 7. Watching Mandalorian and Resistance as I wait for new eps. Doubt I'll hold onto the sub after Clone Wars finishes.

I’m grateful that Disney seems to be more hands off on the Marvel stuff frankly. I’m guessing that’s mostly cause Feige is making them so much money

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I don't even want to finish Another Life. It's that bad. It started intriguing and just kept getting worse. So much potential and they completely pissed it away.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Anyone else watching Beforeigners on HBO? Read a review recommending it so checked it out. Really liked it, one episode in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

I think I watched Seasons 1 and 2 in around three days, just couldn’t stop watching it.

Really looking forward to season 3 which I think is out this year sometime.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    My current thoughts on McNulty in S5 halfway through.

Really. Oh come on. wtf. WTF? What the fuck? What. The. Fuck. WHAT THE FUCK!

And Omar
    Just caught one from a kid. I knew he would die but like that?

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Final season McNulty, IMO,
    is exactly what you get when you give a morally questionable person who's certain he's in the right any amount of greater power.

His intentions are ostensibly good but he uses those intentions to justify going off the rails.

Edit: Oh, and Omar
    Yeah, just like that. Drives home that as well as we get to know him, and even though he was arguably one of the better humans in the show, he died arbitrarily. Same as a lot of young black men people have known.

Quid on
  • Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Anyone else watching Beforeigners on HBO? Read a review recommending it so checked it out. Really liked it, one episode in.

Yep, same story here. I was initially confused until I realized it was on HBO Europe. I really enjoyed the first episode. Not something I want to binge watch, but I will go back for more to see where the story leads.

• Options
    2 episodes left in Mrs Maisel for me.
    And i'm sad.

I'm sad because the show makes me happy (despite my great attempts at not wanting to watch it) and i love all the characters. There are no real villains just people that love each other even though they may not understand or agree with each other.

It feels like a warm and pleasant place that i look forward to spending a few hours with it every night. I'll be sad when it's gone, as that comfort has been very welcome lately.

And no one on TV makes me laugh like the two sets of "grandparents" on that show.

• Options
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    And i'm sad.

I'm sad because the show makes me happy (despite my great attempts at not wanting to watch it) and i love all the characters. There are no real villains just people that love each other even though they may not understand or agree with each other.

It feels like a warm and pleasant place that i look forward to spending a few hours with it every night. I'll be sad when it's gone, as that comfort has been very welcome lately.

And no one on TV makes me laugh like the two sets of "grandparents" on that show.

Abe is a national treasure.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    And i'm sad.

AbeTony Shaloub is a national treasure.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    And i'm sad.

If you want another warm, fuzzy show, you should give Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken a spin. Still mid-season, but it's just utterly delightful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwGakTUnxK8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj7sZlNQB7w

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    And i'm sad.

Rose is adorable too.
    Especially when she gets plastered at Midge's show and then goes full fan girl for Shy Baldwin

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Ughhhh can it just be mid-March already so I can watch the second half of Kingdom TIA

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    In the last season, Mrs. Maisel herself felt like a background character. I'm not complaining, my favourite part of the show is Abe and Rose. I'd watch a series of their antics in Paris for sure. Have the other parents show up in episode three, "We decided to join you!". I think the thing is...I know it's going to work out for Midge, she'll have ups and downs and eventually go on to great success. The rest though, who knows, they're not the focus so they could actually fail. Their success feels less of a sure thing.

• Options
    And i'm sad.

Rose is adorable too.
    Especially when she gets plastered at Midge's show and then goes full fan girl for Shy Baldwin

Doh! Haven't made it that far yet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I Am Not Okay With This is a really good series. It's smart and witty, the lead is great, it's got a story to tell and it doesnt meander.

Here's to hoping we get at least one more season.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular

And Omar

re: omar
    Given the power of his Legend on the streets, it's practically the only way he really could have died; to a very young kid who didn't know any better.

Also that older gentleman who died before Omar jumped out the window? That's the (or one of the, perhaps) real person Omar was based on, who actually jumped out a window like that, only it was the 6th floor not the 4th iirc.

Also yeah, McNulty was always a fuckup but season 5 was a bit much.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    More then being a fuckup, McNulty has always been the guy who thought he was the smartest guy in the room and acts like it. It's why he's good at his job and it's also part of the reason why so many of the people from his work can't stand him and why he fucks things up often.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »

And Omar

Given the power of his Legend on the streets, it's practically the only way he really could have died; to a very young kid who didn't know any better.

Also that older gentleman who died before Omar jumped out the window? That's the (or one of the, perhaps) real person Omar was based on, who actually jumped out a window like that, only it was the 6th floor not the 4th iirc.

Re: Omar and another character’s associated thematic elements, season 4-5
    The kid who shoots Omar, Kenard, first shows up in season 4 and notably has an eye for weakness; he realizes Namond is not strong enough to run a corner by himself and lacks the toughness necessary to be a leader. So Kenard steals the package Namond entrusts him with. It’s only when Michael figures out what happened that Kenard is held accountable.

So in season 5, when Kenard sees Omar limping, he realizes the larger than life street rep is mostly smoke and mirrors. Omar is just a man like any other, and he can be taken down. Which to a kid like Kenard is pretty an imperative; if can take down a stickup artist, you must.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I started watching Mandalorian and am I insane or does it feel like a kickstarted webisode/youtube series but very expensive?

The video is so shot-on-digital clean. The CG and matte paintings are extremely attractive but extremely obviously CG. It’s weirdly quiet up to the points where a totally mismatching soundtrack makes it too noisy.

It feels very cheap and home made in a bad way even though it most certainly isn’t.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Ranlin wrote: »

And Omar

Re: Omar and another character’s associated thematic elements, season 4-5
    The kid who shoots Omar, Kenard, first shows up in season 4 and notably has an eye for weakness; he realizes Namond is not strong enough to run a corner by himself and lacks the toughness necessary to be a leader. So Kenard steals the package Namond entrusts him with. It’s only when Michael figures out what happened that Kenard is held accountable.

So in season 5, when Kenard sees Omar limping, he realizes the larger than life street rep is mostly smoke and mirrors. Omar is just a man like any other, and he can be taken down. Which to a kid like Kenard is pretty an imperative; if can take down a stickup artist, you must.

Not quite accurate:
    Kenard's first appearance is actually in season 3. After the shootout at the stash house that leaves Tosha dead we see Bunk go to investigate. He sees a bunch of kids fighting over gets to be Omar in their reenactment of the shootout. Which leads to their memorable confrontation later in that season. The kid who most wants to be Omar? That's Kenard.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
This discussion has been closed.