As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    Ran around a little bit, controller mode is kinda cool?

Can you do a hybrid?

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Company of Heroes is worth it for Y'shtola's increasingly annoyed reactions to literally everything that is happening.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    zucchini wrote: »
    Ran around a little bit, controller mode is kinda cool?

Can you do a hybrid?

depends on what you mean by hybrid. the keyboard controls still work, but if you're using crossbars instead of a hotbar I think it'd get a little funky

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I use a lot of fantasias
    ph blake wrote: »
    Company of Heroes is worth it for Y'shtola's increasingly annoyed reactions to literally everything that is happening.

also the Tidus slayer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Even if you're not using the crossbars, the controller will still work for moving/jumping, looking around, and interacting with stuff. I use it sometimes for Gold Saucer stuff or gathering.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Viera
    I think you can have both keyboard and controller controls active while in either mode, you can make the non-active hotkey UI stuff show up if you toggle them visible in the UI layout options.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    I have both active myself. I have a twelve button mouse i use for movement and combat abilities on my left hand, and a Xbox controller on my right that I use the face buttons and the two triggers for other things. Works well enough for me.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    I only use keyboard, but I know that a lot of people use controller for general movement/combat and keyboard for all their chat/social stuff.

Seems to work pretty well for them.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    no spoilers but the company of heroes is the one bit of arr padding that I will always argue serves a purpose

(Post-Titan spoils)
    I’m sure nothing bad could possibly come of us being away from the Scions for a little longer than usual.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    The chain after company of heroes on the other hand, is much more offensive padding.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    These Company of Heroes quests are nakedly padding, but each is so trivial to complete that I don't find it all that obnoxious.

oh what the fuck i'm
    fucking scouring these ps3 era character model corpses for the incidental npcs I just now realized I liked, what the hell man

i'm sad over a flying brussels sprout

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Started leveling SCH in my quest to get everything to 80... I know I shouldn't care about comms, but after some of these roulettes, I am getting salty over the lack of them.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    These Company of Heroes quests are nakedly padding, but each is so trivial to complete that I don't find it all that obnoxious.

oh what the fuck i'm
    fucking scouring these ps3 era character model corpses for the incidental npcs I just now realized I liked, what the hell man

i'm sad over a flying brussels sprout
    The different length cast bar for the "picking up bodies" animation that depends on the size of the body was a nice touch.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Well, for the first time ever, I've finally unlocked everything on the Mentor dungeon list. Just haven't finished all of them yet.
    PETnA33.jpg
    On a Japanese data center, so I'm not specifically asking for instance run assistance from here, just pondering how long it normally takes to find PUG groups to go run all these unsynced.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    trivially easy for the HW trials and most of the SB. you'll need to know a few mechanics for suzaku, tsukuyomi and seiryu, even unsynced. the rest can be fuck throughed

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    I'd assume that a full group of eight 80s would make completing the duties a cakewalk, I'm just not offhand sure how many 80s out there care enough to join groups to go back and do these. And there's Great Hunt Extreme in there, which also seems to be more peculiar than usual, mechanics-wise.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    SabreMau wrote: »
    I'd assume that a full group of eight 80s would make completing the duties a cakewalk, I'm just not offhand sure how many 80s out there care enough to join groups to go back and do these. And there's Great Hunt Extreme in there, which also seems to be more peculiar than usual, mechanics-wise.

It was, but now you can unsync it.

It was awful synced because Rathalos has no aggro list (because Monster Hunter doesn't) and then in phase 2 your healing is disabled (because Monster Hunter), and so people would die and 3 deaths = fail (Monster Hunter). Worse still, 5.0 removed one of the few good healing tools for that run (Selene's AoE cleanse - because one of the mechanics forces stacking burn DoTs onto the party, and having an oGCD to rip all that off everyone was amazing).

Now you just take a bunch of level 80s and curbstomp it unsynced relatively easily.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    it was fun

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Lalafell
    Your healing in phase 2 is sharply limited, but also there are very few attacks that are required damage in that second phase. It's just the targeted fireballs, which are what your stock of Mega Potions is intended for. The rest of his attacks can largely be avoided by staying behind him as often as possible. Which, granted, is easier said than done if the party is spreading out a lot.

It's nice when the targeted fireballs are aimed at a Tank; they're meant to be shared, but a Tank can use all those defensive cooldowns he isn't using elsewhere to just tank all the fireballs and clear the mechanic with just one potion used.

Dodging is, funnily enough, harder in phase 1, where he has a variety of attacks that you can't avoid just by sticking to his butt.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Au'ra
    Enlong wrote: »
    Your healing in phase 2 is sharply limited, but also there are very few attacks that are required damage in that second phase. It's just the targeted fireballs, which are what your stock of Mega Potions is intended for. The rest of his attacks can largely be avoided by staying behind him as often as possible. Which, granted, is easier said than done if the party is spreading out a lot.

It's nice when the targeted fireballs are aimed at a Tank; they're meant to be shared, but a Tank can use all those defensive cooldowns he isn't using elsewhere to just tank all the fireballs and clear the mechanic with just one potion used.

Dodging is, funnily enough, harder in phase 1, where he has a variety of attacks that you can't avoid just by sticking to his butt.

Yeah... unsynced a tank doesn't even need to pop cooldowns, they just laugh it off. I need to go make some more runs some time at it, I got the armor done but not the mount.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the thing about Rathalos EX was there was no requirements on team comp, you could go in with four tanks if you wanted

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Au'ra
    the thing about Rathalos EX was there was no requirements on team comp, you could go in with four tanks if you wanted

People beat it that way because it let them ignore the fire puddle mechanic pretty much. Just have to handle the phase transition fast enough since the person riding Rathalos can't heal.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Roegadyn
    I am now a dragoon

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    no fly. jump good.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    This scientist sent me running all the way across thanalan to fetch a crystal I needed, then once I returned, he told me that that crystal would actually make my problem worse, that I needed a totally different crystal from a different region, and that it was on him for not asking what I needed the crystal for in the first place

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Clearly that's a top priority and perfect job for the Warrior of Light.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    This scientist sent me running all the way across thanalan to fetch a crystal I needed, then once I returned, he told me that that crystal would actually make my problem worse, that I needed a totally different crystal from a different region, and that it was on him for not asking what I needed the crystal for in the first place

lol have fun

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Septus wrote: »
    Are you a Warrior of Light at that point yet? I can't remember when people start considering you one and referring to you as such. Maybe some are just thinking of you as Adventurer #84 on their list.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    If you're a 1.0 player I think you're a Warrior of Light by default.

Otherwise you earn the title at level 50 when you finish the 2.0 storyline.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Au'ra
    I started Stormblood this week! I really dug Heavensward the whole way through, and had a great time with some of the level 60 content too. I added a second Relic Weapon to my collection, this one being the Dark Knight anima blade! I'm pretty pleased at having the ARR Relic for my Paladin as well, since now I have a fancy glam for both the job I tank on.

I really adored Alexander. All the fights are great fun, the music is full of incredible tracks, and the story was surprisingly good and cool.

also:

Anzekay on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Septus wrote: »
    Are you a Warrior of Light at that point yet? I can't remember when people start considering you one and referring to you as such. Maybe some are just thinking of you as Adventurer #84 on their list.

Pretty sure that falls under 'just an adventurer' territory

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Given how the first cutscene of the game starts, I guess you might be technically be a Warrior of Light from the word go, it's just when other people realize that is what varies. The Scions figure out pretty quickly that you're no ordinary adventurer, but you still have to do some certain heroic things before them or anyone else starts going, "Hail, Warrior of Light!"

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    The fetch quests certainly continue past the end of ARR.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Yeah it's less about whether you have divine power, and more about people recognizing what you've done

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Basically the same as how it went for our lord and saviour Jesus Christ.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ having the Echo would explain a lot of things.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Au'ra
    Given how the first cutscene of the game starts, I guess you might be technically be a Warrior of Light from the word go, it's just when other people realize that is what varies. The Scions figure out pretty quickly that you're no ordinary adventurer, but you still have to do some certain heroic things before them or anyone else starts going, "Hail, Warrior of Light!"

Warrior of light is just a title - having the Echo is what sets you apart, but it's not a unique gift (WoL is stronger than most in it).

The origin of the title is covered extremely early on I believe. Basically, it's a result of the pre-calamity adventurers being reduced to glowing silhouettes in people's memories as a result of Louiseoux (god I'll never spell his name right) casting them through time to save them from Bahamut's awakening. WoL reminds people of them, and so the moniker is applied to them. (I don't recall if anyone ever catches on if you're actually on a pre-calamity character, btw). I could be misrembering things. I'd have to really dig back into 2.0 cutscenes for specifics.

• Options
    Au'ra
    Lars wrote: »

I can't recall if anyone ever catches on for pre-calamity characters.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Lalafell
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »

I can't recall if anyone ever catches on for pre-calamity characters.

They do.
    at the end of 2.0, following the fight with the Ultima Weapon, the people remember who you were before Cartenau. Cid makes a mild joke about “oh, you just rmemebered? Yeah (s)he saved the world. Twice.”

Enlong on
This discussion has been closed.