As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Got my first mount!

Finally realized I love chocobos. They are giant yellow friend-shaped birds with the best theme in video games.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Got my first mount!

Finally realized I love chocobos. They are giant yellow friend-shaped birds with the best theme in video games.

Eventually, you can learn how to summon your mount to support you in overworld combat, making them your chocobro.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Is there no way to turn off mount themes? Sometimes I just want to keep hearing the zone music.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Roegadyn
    Septus wrote: »
    Is there no way to turn off mount themes? Sometimes I just want to keep hearing the zone music.

It's an option in the settings.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Septus wrote: »

System Config->Sound->Play Music when mounted

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Got my first mount!

Eventually, you can learn how to summon your mount to support you in overworld combat, making them your chocobro.

yup, be on the lookout for a sidequest called "my feisty little chocobo" and stock up on some greens

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    I often use Shiva's horse for the music.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Also don't put points into the tank tree first, it's bad.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Mount music can also be toggled by /mountbgm

Or you can make a macro like I did so you just click a button.

• Options
    Roegadyn
    turtleant wrote: »

it really sucks because, on paper, having a partner who can tank mobs in overworld content sounds extremely useful! but no matter how you spec it, your choco will be as flimsy as tissue paper, which won't even matter because it can't hold aggro for shit!

I've actually got mine to level 19, and at 20 I'll have all three trees maxed, but the only reason I bother putting points into the tank tree is that those stat buffs will still help when in free stance

• Options
    Roegadyn
    turtleant wrote: »

it really sucks because, on paper, having a partner who can tank mobs in overworld content sounds extremely useful! but no matter how you spec it, your choco will be as flimsy as tissue paper, which won't even matter because it can't hold aggro for shit!

I've actually got mine to level 19, and at 20 I'll have all three trees maxed, but the only reason I bother putting points into the tank tree is that those stat buffs will still help when in free stance

Start with healer, because a healbo will significantly increase your survivability - you'll be able to punch several levels above your weight.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Hyur
    The reason to put points in the tank tree is to unlock the Paladin barding when you max it out. Otherwise, if you're DPS have your Chocobo heal, if you're a Healer have your Chocobo DPS, and if you're a Tank choose one or the other as needed. At least that's what's always worked for me, when I don't forget and leave them just Freestyle, which is also fine most of the time.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Roegadyn
    healer first is definitely the correct move

especially since you need to invest in thavnairian onions to level them past one full tree anyway

• Options
    Hyur
    Oh yeah, for first tree to level, definitely Healer for everyone. My Chocobo just hit rank 18 (10 Healer, 10 Attacker, 7 Defender), and I forget that most players won't bother going past rank 10.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    So a friend got randomly invited to someone's ffxiv wedding today while in Limsa, and then myself and another friend got invited as well. We all got tuxedos to wear and the first friend and I spent an hour or so mucking around with dyes and then g-posing.

• Options
    Hyur
    This FF11 event is giving me that weird mixture of nostalgia and distress I only get when thinking about romantic relationships that ended badly, and MMORPGs I used to play.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    This FF11 event is giving me that weird mixture of nostalgia and distress I only get when thinking about romantic relationships that ended badly, and MMORPGs I used to play.

I started replaying FF11 a couple weeks ago. Game's still fun, and has so many QoL improvements to avoid the pain. It still gets monthly updates too.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Hyur
    Tcheldor wrote: »

I started replaying FF11 a couple weeks ago. Game's still fun, and has so many QoL improvements to avoid the pain. It still gets monthly updates too.

I've thought about checking back in just to take some screenshots or whatever, but I lost my account credentials ages ago, and the Square Enix account recovery process is beyond ludicrous. And even if stuff is streamlined now, the thought of dragging a class up with a new account to where I had Black Mage and Dragoon when I quit is stomach churning.

Desert Leviathan on
  • Options
    Au'ra
    I'm in Kugane now!

I would very much like to kill Hancock.

• Options
    Roegadyn
    sadly this game has yet to let us murder anyone involved in the east aldenard trading company

• Options
    Au'ra
    sadly this game has yet to let us murder anyone involved in the east aldenard trading company

yeah my friends said the same thing when I expressed the same sentiment to them

otherwise I really love Kugane so far? It kinda gives me Hokkaido/Osaka vibes, and it's refreshing to go to a video game place that is clearly based on Japan and not find it rife with shitty stereotypes everywhere.

• Options
    Roegadyn
    well it's made by a japanese company so naturally its depiction of not-japan is on the mark

the rest of not-asia is a bit more questionable

• Options
    Roegadyn
    sorry, other shit has me being negative today, so

counterpoint to all that: stormblood has my single favorite area in the whole game in it, it's the massive valley, you'll know it when you see it

• Options
    Au'ra
    well it's made by a japanese company so naturally its depiction of not-japan is on the mark

the rest of not-asia is a bit more questionable

yeah I mean, I can but only comment on the content I've seen so far. But yeah, it's a Japanese company so it's bound to be on the mark at its core, but I'm actually mostly impressed by the localisation. They've managed to keep well away from the typical stereotypes thus far, and that pleases me.

• Options
    Au'ra

counterpoint to all that: stormblood has my single favorite area in the whole game in it, it's the massive valley, you'll know it when you see it

is it in Ala Mhigo or Doma?

• Options
    Roegadyn
    on the subject of stereotypes, I honestly love how much they nailed the "shitty american tourist in japan" vibe with hancock, despite neither of those places existing in ffxiv's world

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    on the subject of stereotypes, I honestly love how much they nailed the "shitty american tourist in japan" vibe with hancock, despite neither of those places existing in ffxiv's world

That friggin' thing where he's explaining to you why the Blue Kojin are green, and then says something like "ah, but the word is so nuanced that I do it a disservice by even translating it". FFFFFF

• Options
    Au'ra

his voice actor nails it so far too, mad respect for this guy channelling the shitty white tourist vibe

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Roegadyn
    Anzekay wrote: »

is it in Ala Mhigo or Doma?

doma

lots of grass

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    s882b4sl0zip.png

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Lalafell
    Why is it that I want to punch him in the face, but almost the same joke in Monster Hunter has me laughing?

...well, probably the fact that the Argosy Captain is actually from NotJapan, and because I already wanted to punch Hancock in the face for various resaons.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Someone once described Hancock as "The villain of someone else's story, but smart enough to not be the villain in yours" and that seemed appropriate.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I've now completed the 101 pre-HW quests on a fifth character. Just five more to go.

• Options
    Lalafell
    Lars wrote: »
    Someone once described Hancock as "The villain of someone else's story, but smart enough to not be the villain in yours" and that seemed appropriate.

Pretty much describes his boss, too.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Hyur
    As high-ranking and trusted employee of Lord Lolorito, Hancock is an enemy my Warrior of Light plans to eventually remove from power, fatally if necessary. It's just there are so many other higher priorities. Ascians and Garleans and Primals and Demons and Sin Eaters and Space Dragons and Ancient Robots and... at the bottom of the priority list, but still very much on it, every ratfuck local politician, crime boss, or business leader who sees all of the above going on but decides that none of it should get in the way of whatever their own petty grift is.

Nah. Once my WoL finishes checking off all the other shit on his list, he's going to rampage through the halls of the East Aldenard Trading Company HQ like the knife machine from Labyrinth that the goblins use to clean the sewer tunnels.

Desert Leviathan on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    As high-ranking and trusted employee of Lord Lolorito, Hancock is an enemy my Warrior of Light plans to eventually remove from power, fatally if necessary. It's just there are so many other higher priorities. Ascians and Garleans and Beast Tribes and Primals and Demons and Sin Eaters and Space Dragons and Ancient Robots and... at the bottom of the priority list, but still very much on it, every ratfuck local politician, crime boss, or business leader who sees all of the above going on but decides that none of it should get in the way of whatever their own petty grift is.

Nah. Once my WoL finishes checking off all the other shit on his list, he's going to rampage through the halls of the East Aldenard Trading Company HQ like the knife machine from Labyrinth that the goblins use to clean the sewer tunnels.

A DRK main, I take it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Hancock fucking sucks ass and I love every single time he's on screen.

What a fucking dickhead, it's great.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    he's a very good piece of shit

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Hyur
    Polaritie wrote: »
    As high-ranking and trusted employee of Lord Lolorito, Hancock is an enemy my Warrior of Light plans to eventually remove from power, fatally if necessary. It's just there are so many other higher priorities. Ascians and Garleans and Beast Tribes and Primals and Demons and Sin Eaters and Space Dragons and Ancient Robots and... at the bottom of the priority list, but still very much on it, every ratfuck local politician, crime boss, or business leader who sees all of the above going on but decides that none of it should get in the way of whatever their own petty grift is.

A DRK main, I take it.

Dark Knight has been my main leveling project lately. My character's main 'canon' job is Dragoon though, so call it the lingering influence of Nidhogg instead.

Desert Leviathan on
This discussion has been closed.