As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wrestling] WWE roster receives "quiet demotion" to developmental performance center

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Let Becky say “fuck” without bleeping her!

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Shayna Baszler won the main event at Survivor Series.

Wrestling is weird now.

That was a really fun show. A few weird booking choices, but it moved at a good clip and had some great wrestle going on. And I'm really glad that the usual "hey, it's some new talent bearing up the regulars, let's job them out super hard on PPV" compulsion didn't manifest.

I'm hoping that this showcase is going to drive some eyeballs NXT's way. Wednesday night has too much good wrestling with too few viewers.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Funny thing about this match, if the crowd chants "NXT", the only one they technically aren't chanting for is Natalya.

This runs across most of the card at this point. Orton, Strowman (Rosebuds don't count), AJ, Rey, Brock, and Kofi are the only exceptions I've got off the top of my head. Bryan too, maybe? Depending on how you count the reality show incarnation of the brand? Oh and I guess Ali went straight to 205 like most of the CWC crew. But still, not a ton.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    It dawned on me that this might be WWE's way to "attack" AEW to drive that viewership to NXT so they can start getting better ratings.

Like, NXT is legitimately a great show, and theres already a good cross-section of people who watch Raw/SD/NXT, but I don't know if they can maintain the momentum to have NXT "beat" AEW without having Raw/SD talent coming on every once in a while.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Both Balor AND Owens got demoted to NXT? So much for up and coming talent, lets cram the cards with more old part timers.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Both Balor AND Owens got demoted to NXT? So much for up and coming talent, lets cram the cards with more old part timers.

Probably purely a move to try to pull some of the viewership from AEW away.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    They're pushing it as the third brand now it's on TV, so it's less of a demotion and more of a lateral move.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It dawned on me that this might be WWE's way to "attack" AEW to drive that viewership to NXT so they can start getting better ratings.

Like, NXT is legitimately a great show, and theres already a good cross-section of people who watch Raw/SD/NXT, but I don't know if they can maintain the momentum to have NXT "beat" AEW without having Raw/SD talent coming on every once in a while.

The simple idea of just making Raw and Smackdown well-booked, well-written, well scripted shows with great production values and funny and interesting commentary just whooshes right the fuck by WWE management every single time, doesn't it?

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

Roderick Strong won a match on a WWE PPV in the year of our lord 2019.

What a time to be alive.

Truly the darkest timeline.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Nirya wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

Roderick Strong won a match on a WWE PPV in the year of our lord 2019.

What a time to be alive.

Truly the darkest timeline.

Quiet you.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Finally watched SS

So the mens match

can we get Chad Gable back on NXT PLEASE

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Who?

Oh, do you mean Shorty?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Who?

Oh, do you mean Shorty?

pardon? That name doesnt ring a bell

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I got every inter-brand match wrong lmao

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus

i...don't think either of them are part-timers? who actually is, on the roster? cena, lesnar, taker?

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Motherfucker, so they actually had Bayley looking like a chump going into this not as a swerve but to have her eat the loss anyway.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Brock must be winning, he's not getting that early flight home.

EDIT: Ugh, they're all coming down to just their respective brand theme.

On the positive side, that means more Slipknot.

Funny thing about this match, if the crowd chants "NXT", the only one they technically aren't chanting for is Natalya.

I mean, she spent some time there, too.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Motherfucker, so they actually had Bayley looking like a chump going into this not as a swerve but to have her eat the loss anyway.

Look on the bright side, even WWE knows it's not any of their fans' fav match from last night

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »

i...don't think either of them are part-timers? who actually is, on the roster? cena, lesnar, taker?
    Its also not really a demotion at this point

NXT won Survivor Series, after all. Its on TV every week and they are getting matches on PPVs as well as Takeovers.

It's just a third brand now.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Look on the bright side, even WWE knows it's not any of their fans' fav match from last night

It sucks more because if they keep booking the women to have these wet fart main events, they'll start to use it as justification for not giving them the main event anymore.

• Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    Survivor Series was pretty fun. They actually put a concerted effort in building new stars. The men's and women's traditional survivor series matches were really good. Sasha standing against the superior NXT numbers was awesome and even though they used a referee distraction everyone looked great. Rhea is what they thought Lacey Evans would be: a great presence/character with in ring ability to match. The men's match did a lot, set up Seth as a heel, Keith Lee looked like a million bucks vs Roman and Chad Gable showed a lot of chemistry with Riddle. I even enjoyed Bryan vs the Fiend and Brock vs Mysterio.

My only complaint was the show went too long in my opinion.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular

It sucks more because if they keep booking the women to have these wet fart main events, they'll start to use it as justification for not giving them the main event anymore.
    Yeah, that main event was....not good. Ugh. I dunno who to blame for it. The rest of the card was pretty good, imo, even if it did feel slower overall than Wargames the night before.

Speaking of women and main events, though, was the all-woman PPV a one time thing?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Yeah, that main event was....not good. Ugh. I dunno who to blame for it. The rest of the card was pretty good, imo, even if it did feel slower overall than Wargames the night before.

Speaking of women and main events, though, was the all-woman PPV a one time thing?

Maybe. It was mostly a PR thing after none of them could wrestle on the first Saudi blood money show.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kuxSnuupZI&t=0s

This week on Being the Elite, Kenneth Omega continues to have a normal one. Also, the Inner Circle escalate things in a way that could wind up being incredibly gross!

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular

This is absolutely the reason for NXT's showing in the last two weeks and at Survivor Series. Don't get me wrong this was a great show (other than the Walter elimination) but it's only purpose is to drive viewers to NXT in order to drive AEW into the toilet in terms of ratings which is just garbage.

. . .also, I really didn't mind the main event. But then I REALLY like Bazler and think she's easily Asuka 2.0 except that Vince seems willing to actually get behind her.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

I love the continuing education of maki itoh

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

This is absolutely the reason for NXT's showing in the last two weeks and at Survivor Series. Don't get me wrong this was a great show (other than the Walter elimination) but it's only purpose is to drive viewers to NXT in order to drive AEW into the toilet in terms of ratings which is just garbage.

. . .also, I really didn't mind the main event. But then I REALLY like Bazler and think she's easily Asuka 2.0 except that Vince seems willing to actually get behind her.

Speaking of Asuka, that was easily a highlight moment for me last night.

A little tiff with Charlotte, a green mist attack and a giant fuck you to the rest of the match. Asuka makes great heel material.

Kairi with her backwards RAW cap walking up to the ring while still acting like a dark geisha was also great.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Survivor Series Results:
    Hey, I put "NXT Guy" and you didn't count it. Nice try, but WALTER is NXT UK, also take an actual chance for your 2 points next time.
    PwnanObrien 75
    Nirya 66
    411Randle 62
    Nothing 59
    crwth 56
    LBD_Nytetrayn 56
    bobAkirafett 54
    hailtothekale 53
    Whippy 50
    Legacy 48
    #FACEtious 47
    Bloodsheed 44
    MyNameIsWalrus 40
    Sprout 40
    AlphaRomero 39
    Bedlam 39
    Invectivus 39
    Magell 39
    crippl3 37
    Reynolds 35
    Dex Dynamo 33
    ChillyWilly 31
    Lost Canuck 31
    Never Die 30
    Azraith 28
    SanderJK 25
    Shadowen 17
    Sonelan 16

rshj84crhlx0.png
    Strap in, we're doing at least one AEW show this season.

Top 25
    Full Standings
    1 PwnanObrien 335 60.47%
    2 Nirya 334 60.29%
    3 Nothing 328 59.21%
    4 Legacy 319 57.58%
    5 Magell 311 56.14%
    6 LBD_Nytetrayn 309 55.78%
    7 SanderJK 300 54.15%
    8 MyNameIsWalrus 297 53.61%
    9 411Randle 293 52.89%
    10 Lost Canuck 288 51.99%
    10 Sprout 288 51.99%
    12 hailtothekale 283 51.08%
    13 AlphaRomero 278 50.18%
    14 crwth 277 50.00%
    15 Never Die 276 49.82%
    16 crippl3 275 49.64%
    17 Bloodsheed 257 46.39%
    18 #FACEtious 254 45.85%
    19 Reynolds 248 44.77%
    20 Whippy 247 44.58%
    21 Sonelan 241 43.50%
    22 Dex Dynamo 240 43.32%
    23 ChillyWilly 233 42.06%
    24 Invectivus 221 39.89%
    25 David_T 214 38.63%

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    It's hilarious that I'm doing better than ever while not watching at all and basing most of my choices on pictures and information on the submission form itself.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    It's hilarious that I'm doing better than ever while not watching at all and basing most of my choices on pictures and information on the submission form itself.

I'm just watching clips on Reddit and somehow I'm almost in the top 10 lmao

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    amazing, i’ve gotten exactly 50% of my picks right

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Lol I went with my heart and it said “Roddy wins”.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Well when you're right 50.18% of the time, you're wrong 49.82% of the time.

QktEkr1zoWs16bxoZJo_k3dOYPV0x7ghk0N8pqQHJdM.jpg?auto=webp&s=13d48c75f4aa4448f50bc50e9f64be050dcd698a

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I just saw on Rhea Ripley's Wiki page that she lists The Miz as a wrestling inspiration and that conjured up some thoughts: Ripley is crazy young, The Miz looks like a man coming around 30 and whenever I think of "The Miz" I always conjure RW: Back to New York.
    TLDR: I'm old and want some tea.
    EDIT: Still hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Gm0LXnJCk

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    I do wish AEW's big thing following two WWE PPVs wasn't this silly Diamong Ring thing, I can see this being another week NXT beats AEW, even if AEW keeps winning the right demos.

• Options
    I think AEW shouldn't be trying to react to WWE PPVs at all, really

They need to be their own thing and cultivate their own audience. Being obsessed with capitalizing off the competition is what has sunk other companies

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I do wish AEW's big thing following two WWE PPVs wasn't this silly Diamong Ring thing, I can see this being another week NXT beats AEW, even if AEW keeps winning the right demos.
    I don't think ratings really matter if they're both sub-1. I don't care who wins, I just want good wrestling and their ratings to improve. People getting amped over "YEAH 900K WOO" in a country of 300+ million just makes me tired.

Granted, this also goes back to whenever I go to RoH / Chikara / MLW / House of Hardcore / whatever locally on the East Coast, I can usually guarantee to see some of the same people in the crowd, even if it's many hours apart. Myself and friends, obviously, but others too. It's depressing.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    I mean 900k is still great ratings

For example, NBA games on TNT average to 1.9 million viewers

And that's for the NBA, the second largest (maybe first? I honestly don't know how the NFL and NBA compare nowadays) sports league in the nation and one of the most popular sports in the world.

Pro wrestling is a relatively niche product, so almost a million viewers is doing great in the year of our lord 2019

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    I mean 900k is still great ratings

For example, NBA games on TNT average to 1.9 million viewers

And that's for the NBA, the second largest (maybe first? I honestly don't know how the NFL and NBA compare nowadays) sports league in the nation and one of the most popular sports in the world.

Pro wrestling is a relatively niche product, so almost a million viewers is doing great in the year of our lord 2019

TNT's expectation for Dynamite was 500k viewers. So getting damn near a million week in and week out is a huge win for them. I imagine USA's projection for NXT was similar.

• Options
    Just to help you out Blank, NFL ratings still blows NBA out of the water.

And those ratings are especially good in this era of segmented TV viewing where there are a million options on TV and streaming.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
This discussion has been closed.