As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Half-Life] 25th Anniversary Update and Documentary

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I wonder if the SMG will be in Alyx.

I wonder if it will still be awful.

Of the compliments I pay to HL2, the arsenal isn't one of them. Most of the weapons feel kind of weak, I'd personally argue, especially alongside contemporaries (Halo:CE, Doom III, FEAR which came out later).

Except toilet by means of Gravity Gun. And the crowbar is satisfying, but limited. They're both punchy as hell.

Shotgun. The shotgun is the light. The revolver is also alright. Everything else feels clunky, weak or awkward. Like SMG grenades -- fun but awkward and the shortest arc for a firearm ever unless you aim into the sky.

I love the sound of the pistol.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention for those of your playing through HL2, there's a free mod called HL2: Update that has numerous minor graphical enhancements and bugfixes.
    Complete lighting overhaul including enhanced lighting, more detailed world shadows, and full High Dynamic Range Lighting (HDR).
    New particle effects and improved fog.
    Countless bug fixes, correcting both visual and game-based issues.
    An extensive Community Commentary Mode featuring the voices of well-known Youtubers, including Caddicarus, Brutalmoose, Ricepirate, Balrog the Master, ProJared, and Ross Scott from Freeman's Mind .
    Retains the iconic Half-Life 2 visual style and gameplay.
    All available in one free standalone download!

If you own HL2 you can get it at https://store.steampowered.com/app/290930/HalfLife_2_Update/

Nice! Does anyone know of any stable weapon replacement packs that reliable work in HL2? Like others have said, I loathe how the SMG feels in the game and wonder if anyone's managed to successfully shoehorn either an MP5 or M4 variant to take its place.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    This was brought up earlier in the thread so seems relevant. It ahh, does appear that the Firewatch devs have been subsumed into the greater Valve consciousness, and In the Valley of the Gods is now on hold while they work on Alyx and other stuff.

Interestingly enough it does go back to "well you can't force them to make what they don't want to", because the developer is saying they did it completely voluntarily, Valve style:

“You hear a lot about how at Valve you can work on what you want. It turns out that’s true, and there’s a lot of work available. As we integrated ourselves into Valve it became clear there was a lot of valuable work to be done on Half-Life: Alyx. Some of us starting lending a hand, and have since become full-time on the project as it approaches launch. Similarly, some ex-Campos are working on Dota Underlords, some are on Steam, and so on. So to answer your question as of today, In the Valley of Gods development is on hold — but it certainly feels like a project people can and may return to. And when that happens, we’ll find an exciting way to let fans know.”

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    There's been numerous reports that, even at the best of times, the "Work on what you want" method at Valve comes with a lot of caveats. Namely, even when you're allowed to work on what you want, you still need to attract the attention of other people to also work on what you're working on, leading to only the bigger projects lead by senior members to get the traction to actually proceed. And if you're one person working on a project alone, Valve starts going "Maybe you're time is better spent elsewhere HINT HINT"

Also, not everyone got to move on to other projects after Campo Santo got dissolved.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I used to fight the F’rrgak Hive Mind, but now that they’ve incorporated my world I believe in the F’rrgak cause and shall work to achieve total assimilation of all sentient life for the glory of the Collective!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

The rapid fire pop pop pop pop pop pop pop is great, moreso in a big area where you get an echo.

The pistol is weird, because it's basically your best long range weapon in the game until you get the crossbow.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    There's been numerous reports that, even at the best of times, the "Work on what you want" method at Valve comes with a lot of caveats. Namely, even when you're allowed to work on what you want, you still need to attract the attention of other people to also work on what you're working on, leading to only the bigger projects lead by senior members to get the traction to actually proceed. And if you're one person working on a project alone, Valve starts going "Maybe you're time is better spent elsewhere HINT HINT"

Also, not everyone got to move on to other projects after Campo Santo got dissolved.

I'm not trying to assert that it's super awesome or anything. I feel bad for that guy, as he seem super passionate about writing for that game and his contract was tied solely to writing it. It does seem inherent to the work environment though. If your project team has 30 people and 27 people bail and you're left with 3 writers and no one else....ahh I'm not really sure what their path forward is. At some point peer pressure and stuff is going to come into play because....humans. If your best friend at work decides to work on another game, you may be tempted to do the same thing regardless of them pressuring you or not. But that writer doesn't get to force everyone to stay on that project for his sake, nor they him to his.

It's a fascinating work environment, and I'm not surprised at all that it's incredibly polarizing. There is no fucking way I would get anything done at my job if it worked like that, and it would bother the hell out of me to always have 20 plates spinning in the air but nothing is ever finished. But if you're a certain type of driven creative it could be heaven, and seems to be for a pretty large number of people.

It's also just in my nature to take disgruntled ex-employees with a grain of salt. It's a self selecting sample of people who are going to write long diatribes on how much they hated working there, and there's going to be a really high correlation (not everyone) to people that didn't fit into the culture or were under performing or maybe were kind of assholes while they were there. I'll admit to not having dug through the archives, but I get the feeling there are tons of people who have left Valve amicably and said nice things about them afterwards.

Like, the jobs I have worked at have often sucked, and had stupid management. But the people freaking out about it after they leave are typically people who were kind of terrible and blame everyone else for their own failings. People don't really pay attention to and file away "Hey it was fine there, just found something different", or "Yeah I got laid off, but honestly I checked out about a year ago so I get it", but they certainly do for the more disgruntled people.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    There were a couple of Epistle 3 mods in development, but the only one I can remember is Project Borealis. Are there any others that are still alive?

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I mean, if my company was snagged up by Valve, and I heard a Half-Life game was in the works, and that my skillset could be useful enough to join the team... you can bet your ass I'd be getting my name in the credits whatever it took.

Not to say there aren't politics involved, or other pressures, or challenges, or any number of extra factors.

But I feel that'd have some draw as well.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I wonder if the new VR game will have the sign language research Valve said they were working on.

sig.gif
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Forar wrote: »
    I mean, if my company was snagged up by Valve, and I heard a Half-Life game was in the works, and that my skillset could be useful enough to join the team... you can bet your ass I'd be getting my name in the credits whatever it took.

Not to say there aren't politics involved, or other pressures, or challenges, or any number of extra factors.

But I feel that'd have some draw as well.

It is unfortunate that a new Half Life required the sacrifice of both Campo Santo and Idle Thumbs to bring it into existence. It does not feel like a good deal at this time.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I've come to accept this as the cycle of game development these days. Smaller dev shops that do good work are going to get gobbled up by someone. Then depending on who is doing the gobbling the team may still get a game or 2 out that they want, before completely falling into the corporate shtick. At which point, dev's will start leaving and we'll have all new small dev shops with talented folks to make games for us.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I wonder if the new VR game will have the sign language research Valve said they were working on.

That would be amazing, having to learn sign-language on the go from a sidekick when you need to communicate stuff to them, little by little you start to notice you've become more fluent in it.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Valve absorbing the Firewatch people is more than a little strange. I just can’t understand what Valve wanted them for. Unless it was also some kind of optics thing.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I need to still play through the Half Life 2 episodes.

• Options
    Valve absorbing the Firewatch people is more than a little strange. I just can’t understand what Valve wanted them for. Unless it was also some kind of optics thing.

Valve literally lost a good chunk of their writing staff, which is what the Campo Santo people are known for.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I need to still play through the Half Life 2 episodes.

On the one side, I want to tell you to do it because they're great, but on the other I don't want to set you up to wait for Episode 3/HL3.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Honestly I was a lot more excited for In the Valley of Gods than I was for more Half-Life, so that's a bit of a downer for me. It's just been so long since the last Half-Life game that my enthusiasm for it has sort of worn off.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Valve literally lost a good chunk of their writing staff, which is what the Campo Santo people are known for.

If this is the reason, then the above writer looking for work is a bit odd, unless he was an external contractor and not included in the merger.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

If this is the reason, then the above writer looking for work is a bit odd, unless he was an external contractor and not included in the merger.

He was an external contractor.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

The rapid fire pop pop pop pop pop pop pop is great, moreso in a big area where you get an echo.

The pistol is weird, because it's basically your best long range weapon in the game until you get the crossbow.

I'll always remember the pistol sound echoing off the walls and then that masked radio noise the Combine soldiers make when they die.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I think this ol' webcomic nailed the onomatopoeia as "paf"

http://www.screencuisine.net/hlcomic/

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Surprised to see the crossbow not getting much love. It shot glowing hot rebar! You could stick dudes to walls!

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    You had that gland thing that attracted the bug things.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    We don't go to Ravenholm.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I wonder if the SMG will be in Alyx.

I wonder if it will still be awful.

Of the compliments I pay to HL2, the arsenal isn't one of them. Most of the weapons feel kind of weak, I'd personally argue, especially alongside contemporaries (Halo:CE, Doom III, FEAR which came out later).

Except toilet by means of Gravity Gun. And the crowbar is satisfying, but limited. They're both punchy as hell.

Shotgun. The shotgun is the light. The revolver is also alright. Everything else feels clunky, weak or awkward. Like SMG grenades -- fun but awkward and the shortest arc for a firearm ever unless you aim into the sky.

You're right, I forgot the shotgun. And I barely used the revolver for whatever reason. But shotgun? Excellent.

I can't hear the pistol land not think I'm getting into airsoft shoot-outs with the Combine. "POP POP POP POP POP."

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Did you not have your hazard suit at the start of Half Life 2?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular

no, not until you get to eli's lab

• Options
    twmjr wrote: »

no, not until you get to eli's lab

It has been a while since I played. Might need to read a summary and watch a YouTube of the ending.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Xen is in public beta! They might actually beat HL: Alyx to launch!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    What was that website that told you all of the stuff that happened during the time Duke Nukem Forever was in development (stuff like 43 Megaman games were released, etc)?

I'd love to see something similar for Black Mesa.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    What was that website that told you all of the stuff that happened during the time Duke Nukem Forever was in development (stuff like 43 Megaman games were released, etc)?

I'd love to see something similar for Black Mesa.

Honestly, those lists as such fallacies. They’re comparable to totalling what everyone else in my town did before I got done with lunch.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Xen is in public beta! They might actually beat HL: Alyx to launch!

Pretty incredible it's still going. I beat the original free release in 2012 I think?

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    In the very least it seems Half-Life: Alyx's development will be well documented.

• Options

Whew. Was worried Valve finally had their shit together, and I didn't know how to live in that world.

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    edit: nvm

LaCabra on
  • Options
    Aw, I was all set to reply to that with a long exploration of my current feelings on Valve and the Half-Life series in general.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Valve Index now backordered to Feb 2020.

https://uploadvr.com/valve-index-alyx-february/
    Valve Index Full Kit Backorders Approach Half-Life: Alyx Release Window

Time may be running out to purchase a full Valve Index VR kit and have it arrive before the launch of highly anticipated game Half-Life: Alyx.

New orders of the $1,000 Valve Index VR kit "Will ship in February 2020," according to the Steam store, "Due to recent high demand" following the reveal of the full VR game in the iconic franchise set between the events of Half-Life 1 and Half-Life 2.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Yep, while I'm not super happy about the first Half-Life game in 12 years being a VR exclusive, I won't deny the reasoning behind it.

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Valve Index now backordered to Feb 2020.

https://uploadvr.com/valve-index-alyx-february/
    Valve Index Full Kit Backorders Approach Half-Life: Alyx Release Window

Time may be running out to purchase a full Valve Index VR kit and have it arrive before the launch of highly anticipated game Half-Life: Alyx.

New orders of the $1,000 Valve Index VR kit "Will ship in February 2020," according to the Steam store, "Due to recent high demand" following the reveal of the full VR game in the iconic franchise set between the events of Half-Life 1 and Half-Life 2.

I'm starting to suspect there won't be a sale on the Index for the holidays.

Though if the Winter sale is anything like the summer one you'll be able to get a small rebate by redeeming the points. I'm planning on buying the Index Controller set to use with my Vive then.