As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Love] and the gentle person

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Also I'll reiterate something I've said on here before - don't drink your own pee. Unless that is literally your only choice to avoid dying of dehydration, reintroducing all that waste into your body will just make you sick.

I believe you can set up a solar still and evaporate the water out of it though, and if you're sheltering in place, what better do you have to do?

Indeed! Wasn't sure how far down the rabbit hole I wanted to encourage folks to be thinking, but yeah, in such a situation distilling your pee can be helpful for supplementing your water.

Also a great boon if you, like me, have easy access to ocean water and brackish water but no ready source of fresh water.

Honestly, shelter at home is the perfect time to perfect these kinds of survival techniques, at least if you have access to a yard.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Also I'll reiterate something I've said on here before - don't drink your own pee. Unless that is literally your only choice to avoid dying of dehydration, reintroducing all that waste into your body will just make you sick.

Why do you need to tell people this?

Blake T on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    As like a general rule, don’t eat things that come out of your own body.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Ugh, my water supply is running low so I set up a solar urine still in my backyard but it's just sitting there, useless, because it's been cloudy and raining all week!!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Because people like Bear Grylls are out there saying "if you have no water, drink your own pee!" and it's terrible advice unless that is literally the only way to not die of dehydration.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Survival prep is so weird to me

If things are that bad Imma just lay down in the dirt and let the earth slowly reclaim me

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My wife and I don't prep at all, we just find this stuff really interesting to learn about, and I like talking about it.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Hello tooth thread
    I’ve had 4 teeth removed for braces and all 4 wisdom teeth out
    Got put under both times which was cool with me

Hm video dating

If I wasn’t with my parents and had access to all my booze I would be up for it for sure

Weird to do it from here though hm

Oh also, when I came here over 3 weeks ago I figure it would be for a few weeks because the world was different at the start of the month... so I barely have any clothes, a sweatsuit, a pair of pants, and a few t shirts is it.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    My friend in WA did do one of those cow share things and they have a freezer in the garage
    That seems like a nice thing to have

poo
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    You can get a cheap cistern to collect rain water at the Prepper Barrel, they also sell dehyadrated astronaut beans

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    made with real astronaut!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Loss of water supply in the US is only likely to happen if there's a total collapse of civilization. And if that happens a month's supply of food and water won't be enough.

But this is too depressing for the love thread.

How about this: tonight my wife told me I make the best [vegetarian] sushi she's ever tasted. That made me feel really good!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    A rainwater tank is a great thing to have, if you live in an area that allows them (wtf certain US states?!?), the better half and I are looking at getting an under-eaves unit once we've got these gutters fully replaced.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Astronaut beans.
    zhbbpujnb7en.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    A rainwater tank is a great thing to have, if you live in an area that allows them (wtf certain US states?!?), the better half and I are looking at getting an under-eaves unit once we've got these gutters fully replaced.

Water rights laws are very complex in the drier states. I grew up in Colorado, and boy howdy. The water savings things you just internalize because we're killing so much of the state by using water in terrible ways.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the advice, y'all

I just need to do something, between the oddness of the new normal and dealing with medical supply shortages at work, I am feeling extremely stressed

We did some shopping today, picked up a few longer shelf life items, we will rotate goods and keep an eye on best by dates

One of the DJs on the only radio station we can get at work is doing mutual aid for food delivery, which has frankly blown my goddamned mind, I'm going to give them a call this week and see if they need help

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I need to start running with this quarantine going. Might start spending a significant amount of time standing at the kitchen counter while working from home too. Gotta keep myself in better shape with this nonsense going on. Am eating better though cause I'm only eating at home.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I need to start running with this quarantine going. Might start spending a significant amount of time standing at the kitchen counter while working from home too. Gotta keep myself in better shape with this nonsense going on. Am eating better though cause I'm only eating at home.

Between reduced gas and not eating out I'm probably saving $100 a week easy.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »

Between reduced gas and not eating out I'm probably saving $100 a week easy.

I'm a grad student -- I eat out a lot unfortunately at campus. And my girlfriend and I like to order food, but we haven't been doing that for obvious reasons. I'm probably saving way more than that.

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Before the quarantine I was messaging three amazing people and went out with two! It was driving me nuts because I didn't know what I was doing to be honest.

Now that the quarantine is in full effect and we're all homebound... the dust seems to have settled, figuratively speaking, and I'm really liking this one person.

We're talking on the phone, video chatting, and sending voice messages to each other.
    It's been a thing lately where we sing songs for each other and send them off. I sang her a Beatles song and she countered with an Oasis song. Damn! :biggrin:

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Sounds like things are going good. So by now you should've somehow realized what you've gotta do.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Sounds like things are going good. So by now you should've somehow realized what you've gotta do.
    Cure Covid-19 using nothing but two pairs of latex gloves and a bucketful pool-water?

sarukun on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Cure Covid-19 using nothing but two pairs of latex gloves and a bucketful pool-water?

Gamer girl bathwater, not pool-water, you rube!

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

Maybe

Just maybe

You're gonna be the one that saves me

• Options
    Man, wndrwll is one of those videos I will always watch when it's posted. It's the internet version of channel surfing and coming across the last half of Con Air.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    So I posted in here a few days ago about my grandparents being ill. They are both still in the hospital, my grandad tested positive for covid, they're still waiting for my gran's results but they are sure she has it as well. Them both having it is nice in a messed up way because hospitals aren't allowing any visitors, but they can at least be together. My grandad keeps pulling out his IV and trying to leave (he has vascular dementia) so hopefully with my gran there he's maybe causing a bit less trouble for the nurses.

One of the nurses has been letting my family call her personal phone so they can speak to my grandad. Just now my brother spoke to him and after hanging up he got a text from the nurse saying she noticed he'd called from an iPhone and did he want to facetime. So my brother video called back so my grandad could see my nephews. That nurse is a legend.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Nurses are the fucking best.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Tinder has made passporting free

Someone tell me somewhere to put, this'll be a laugh

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    What's passporting?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    According to Urban Dictionary, it's an unspeakable sex act.

I assume, I haven't checked.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    you set your location as wherever in the world, basically

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Antarctica

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    the devil's triangle

• Options
    I have chosen Indianapolis due to having visited there

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Yeah, I set my Tinder to Nova Scotia as a joke when I saw that feature... then immediately got two hits, felt bad that I was leading on anyone lonely enough to swipe right on my quarantine beard that fast, and set it back to Utah.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    There wasn't a way to opt out of this feature so rather than seeing half of all profiles being someone 10,000 miles away I uninstalled it instead.

• Options
    Maybe you'll find someone hot and nice from the other side of the world!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I mean I never get matches from people who are nearby so adding a massive distance would make it even less likely.

• Options
    Foreigners are sexy

This discussion has been closed.