As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Adore EA & Corruption 2029 out today!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I love how every time I help someone out in a fight and they say "Oh thanks Witcher, I don't think I could have done it without you" Geralt always says something like "Yeah, probably not." and never "You're welcome."

He's such a grouch and I love him.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Heck yeah Brovid, I'd love to keep following your Witcher updates.
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    How do I make it so that whatever captaink is doing it stops notifying me that he's launching all his games in alphabetical order?

There's a setting in your profile to turn off notifications when friends login or start games. I had to do it myself because I have too many PA people in my friends list. Especially on games that use a lower resolution/ window size the notification eats a huge chunk of space.

captaink may be using a steam card idle program so yeah turning off notifications is a good way to protect yourself from spam.

Another good thing is the idler to turn themselves to invisible on the friends page so they don't spam in the first place.

Sorry, I was doing this. I'm invisible now. I turned off those notifications so long ago I forgot they were a thing.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Playing through Wolf2: The New Colossus.

I can see why certain people got mad at the game, and it's great! They do need to dial back BJ attempting anything near deep thoughts though. Like the last game, it doesn't really work.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Nah BJs poetic introspectives rule

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I thought they worked in the previous games, but, like many (mostly side) parts of the writing, weren't as good in TNC

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I played a couple of hours of Satisfactory last night, got up to basic iron and copper crafting. And then I proceeded to dream about it all night. So I guess this is my life now.

You have barely scratched the surface you poor soul.

I know! Even while I was asleep I was frustrated because I knew there were other mechanisms to unlock that would make for much more interesting dreams!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I should get back into Satisfactory. Last time I played I think I had oil refineries and power going.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I never got the trains up and running properly.

I think if I went back to it now I would start fresh, implement everything I had learned.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    One of the things I picked up this sale is Later, Alligator. It's very good! It's a super cute and very well-animated mild adventure game.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    To be fair, how would 2K know that the game WWE 2K20 would still be played in 2020?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Satisfactory often involves plunking down massive pieces of equipment from awkward viewing angles.

The designers have made it so that a green bar appears if, for example, your giant coal-powered generator blueprint is exactly aligned with the existing giant coal-powered generator next to it before you plunk it down.

I have never felt so seen.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Finished Assassins of Kings. Final game thoughts.

Things I disliked:

Controls are a bit janky. Geralt does everything just a bit too slowly. It's not awful but it is consistently annoying.

Menu controls are also bad. Even by the end of the game I still couldn't reliably do stuff in my inventory without futzing about or equipping/unequipping things accidentally.

The map and navigating around sucks balls. It really ruins the pacing when I'm meant to be getting somewhere urgently and I keep having to open the map every ten seconds to try and figure out a route.

Adjusting the music volume does nothing for some reason, and Geralt is a mumbly boy, so I regularly couldn't hear what he was saying.

Don't like how Geralt litters every time you drink a potion.

Lots of dogs around, game never lets me pet them.

Things I liked:

Geralt. He is a real cool guy and he makes me laugh.

Dialogue that often sounds like how actual people would speak, and consistently good voice acting.

Combat is fun, if a bit somersault heavy.

Fully upgraded quen is real useful.

Characters and the decisions you make are grey scale. Nobody's totally good or bad, and every choice you can make has good and bad points and isn't obvious. However without the Dragon Age problem of every choice feeling impossible and leaving you thinking "why can't I just do neither of these things?" They feel realistic.

Geralt's place in the world. He is not a superhero saviour and people don't defer to him on everything because he's the Chosen One. You can give people your opinion and sometimes they'll listen to you and sometimes they tell you to do one. People don't agree with you on everything just because they're on your side, and them disagreeing with you doesn't mean you're not mates any more.

Game looks real nice.

Music is good.

Pantsless bug never stopped being funny.

Spoilery choice stuff
    I let the dragon live, and felt very validated by Geralt telling Triss that dragons are awesome creatures when she questioned him on it. I agree. I really like the way he's a monster hunter but still clearly respects all these creatures most people hate (something I think they do a good job conveying in the show)

I let the sorceress explode in the malfunctioning portal.

I let Letho go. Figured he'd already done all that damage and killing him wouldn't fix anything. Also he was just a cool character and I'm hoping he'll show up again in 3 maybe.

Banging game. Can't wait to get into 3 now and see what all the hullabaloo was about.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    Heck yeah Brovid, I'd love to keep following your Witcher updates.
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    How do I make it so that whatever captaink is doing it stops notifying me that he's launching all his games in alphabetical order?

There's a setting in your profile to turn off notifications when friends login or start games. I had to do it myself because I have too many PA people in my friends list. Especially on games that use a lower resolution/ window size the notification eats a huge chunk of space.

captaink may be using a steam card idle program so yeah turning off notifications is a good way to protect yourself from spam.

Another good thing is the idler to turn themselves to invisible on the friends page so they don't spam in the first place.

Sorry, I was doing this. I'm invisible now. I turned off those notifications so long ago I forgot they were a thing.

No worries! Just did it myself recently so was on the receiving end of a few angry messages.

Sorry my post was not super kind in tone though.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular

Things I disliked:

Controls are a bit janky. Geralt does everything just a bit too slowly. It's not awful but it is consistently annoying.

Menu controls are also bad. Even by the end of the game I still couldn't reliably do stuff in my inventory without futzing about or equipping/unequipping things accidentally.

The map and navigating around sucks balls. It really ruins the pacing when I'm meant to be getting somewhere urgently and I keep having to open the map every ten seconds to try and figure out a route.

Adjusting the music volume does nothing for some reason, and Geralt is a mumbly boy, so I regularly couldn't hear what he was saying.

Things I liked:

Dialogue that often sounds like how actual people would speak, and consistently good voice acting.

Characters and the decisions you make are grey scale. Nobody's totally good or bad, and every choice you can make has good and bad points and isn't obvious. However without the Dragon Age problem of every choice feeling impossible and leaving you thinking "why can't I just do neither of these things?" They feel realistic.

Geralt's place in the world. He is not a superhero saviour and people don't defer to him on everything because he's the Chosen One. You can give people your opinion and sometimes they'll listen to you and sometimes they tell you to do one. People don't agree with you on everything just because they're on your side, and them disagreeing with you doesn't mean you're not mates any more.

Game looks real nice.

Music is good.

Spoilery choice stuff
    I let the dragon live, and felt very validated by Geralt telling Triss that dragons are awesome creatures when she questioned him on it. I agree. I really like the way he's a monster hunter but still clearly respects all these creatures most people hate (something I think they do a good job conveying in the show)

I let Letho go. Figured he'd already done all that damage and killing him wouldn't fix anything. Also he was just a cool character and I'm hoping he'll show up again in 3 maybe.

Banging game. Can't wait to get into 3 now and see what all the hullabaloo was about.

About one of the things in your spoilers
    One of the things I've always liked about Geralt is that, even though he is a monster hunter, he recognizes that some of the sentient creatures that the average layman considers a monster are just people trying to get by in a world that despises and fears them. It's why he's able to have friends like Dudu. One of the things I always appreciated about the dragon hunting short story was having Geralt basically saying "Dragons are sentient creatures and are fucked enough without me helping to kill them all off so I don't hunt them".

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I never played a Zachtronics game (beyond the demo), but I downloaded Infinifactory from Game Pass and it seems cool.

Perhaps I'll be back tomorrow, cursing my inability to comprehend the complexity. That seems to be how it tends to go with Zachtronics games.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about picking up Factorio while Satisfactory finishes cooking. I played Satisfactory for about 30-40 hours and loved it, but I want to wait to really sink my teeth into it until it's feature complete. Factorio should scratch that itch and it's much farther down the feature road. The even said they are finally going to hit 1.0 this year!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    There are too many games about factories.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Outer Wilds documentory.

https://youtu.be/LbY0mBXKKT0

• Options
    H0b0man wrote: »

Things I disliked:

Things I liked:

Game looks real nice.

Music is good.

Spoilery choice stuff

One of the things I've always liked about Geralt is that, even though he is a monster hunter, he recognizes that some of the sentient creatures that the average layman considers a monster are just people trying to get by in a world that despises and fears them. It's why he's able to have friends like Dudu. One of the things I always appreciated about the dragon hunting short story was having Geralt basically saying "Dragons are sentient creatures and are fucked enough without me helping to kill them all off so I don't hunt them".

I got the Friend of Trolls achievement and it made me really happy when it popped up. I think I would be the worst monster hunter because I like every other kind of creature better than humans.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

Things I disliked:

Things I liked:

Game looks real nice.

Music is good.

Spoilery choice stuff

I got the Friend of Trolls achievement and it made me really happy when it popped up. I think I would be the worst monster hunter because I like every other kind of creature better than humans.

I feel like that’s very thematically accurate for The Witcher

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    The Epic freebies continue. They previously said that free game giveaways would continue through 2019, but never mentioned if it would continue into 2020.
    Well, here's 3 games for this week only:
    Steep (Do not skip this game, it's really really underrated): https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/steep/home
    Darksiders Warmastered Edition (Bad subtitle, good game): https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/darksiders/home
    Darksiders 2 Deathinitive Edition (Good subtitle, ok game, includes all DLC): https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/darksiders2/home

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm curious what percentage of people who pick up the free games actually transition into buying games on the EGS.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    There's at least 3 exclusives on EGS that have come exceedingly close to moving me to purchase, but between wanting to focus on my backlog and simple inertia, I haven't done so yet.

The longer things stay on my wishlist before I move them to the backlog, the more their prices come down. I got tired of buying things at $60 and then by the time I actually got around to playing them seeing their price was now $14.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm curious what percentage of people who pick up the free games actually transition into buying games on the EGS.

I've picked up Untitled Goose Game and Satisfactory. So that's two out of 25 or so in my account paid for

But they're EGS exclusives so I probably would've bought them anyway?

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I picked up a few games in the sale.

Later Alligator, Risk Of Rain 2, Hypnospace Outlaw, Gloomhaven, and FFXV Windows Edition.

Risk Of Rain was always a game I wanted to play more of, but the sidescrolling aspect of it didn't work super well for me. In 3D it seems a lot more enjoyable!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Huh, FRONTIERS released today. It had been in early access for years, languishing in development hell. The last update from the dev was Jan. 2 2018, and then out of the blue he releases it now. By his own admission it's janky, buggy, and a lot of promised Kickstarter content had to be cut, but it's here.

I played for about an hour and the biggest thing I noticed immediately since playing it last is that the dev changed everything to low-poly models and crunchy low-res textures and it kinda reminds me of how Daggerfall or Morrowind looked. It's nice and relaxing so far and I'm enjoying just walking around and exploring.

https://youtu.be/oOcz4p27wOQ

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    The ending for The Witcher 2 is probably one of the best I've seen in an RPG.
    Instead of having an epic, final battle with the big bad, you sit down with the guy, tired, pop open some vodka, and talk about what his deal is. There's an obligatory fight scene if you choose that route, but that's just routine at that point. The big denouement to Letho's arc is literally just talking to the dude.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Despite my hatred for EGS UI and lack of features, I've bought seven games. Whenever possible I bypass the EGS exclusives and go to the source (e.g. Ubisoft games) or alternates (Gamepass).
    1. Borderlands 3
    2. Satisfactory
    3. John Wick Hex
    4. Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
    5. Outer Wilds
    6. Shakedown Hawaii
    7. Genesis Alpha One

• Options
    Zxerol wrote: »
    The ending for The Witcher 2 is probably one of the best I've seen in an RPG.
    Instead of having an epic, final battle with the big bad, you sit down with the guy, tired, pop open some vodka, and talk about what his deal is. There's an obligatory fight scene if you choose that route, but that's just routine at that point. The big denouement to Letho's arc is literally just talking to the dude.

I fucking loved this.
    Especially after coming from the dragon fight which took me like 5 attempts, so I wasn't really in the mood for rehashing the Letho fight from Act 1 which was haaaard. As soon as he offered me a drink I thought hmm, there's something different here. Definitely wasn't expecting it to play out like that.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I bought my first game on the Epic store during the sale, Hades.
    I have spent $10 on that store, total.
    I have 65 games. It's fucking crazy, the launcher can be shit and they can buy all the exclusives they want, I don't care, that's an insane amount of free games

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    @Brovid Hasselsmof just make sure you import your Witcher 2 save file into Witcher 3 when you start assuming you haven't already. Some of the decisions you make in 2 have some neat payoff in 3 if you carry your save file over.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I don't think I even have the EGS launcher downloaded. I've just been claiming a few of the freebies for a rainy day. But if they come to a bundle or get cheap enough I would rather just have them on Steam.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    @Brovid Hasselsmof just make sure you import your Witcher 2 save file into Witcher 3 when you start assuming you haven't already. Some of the decisions you make in 2 have some neat payoff in 3 if you carry your save file over.

Will do. It's downloading now. Currently trying to choose a new graphics card to go with it.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Just finished Starcom:Nexus. What a delightful game. I would highly recommend it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Brovid Hasselsmof just make sure you import your Witcher 2 save file into Witcher 3 when you start assuming you haven't already. Some of the decisions you make in 2 have some neat payoff in 3 if you carry your save file over.

Will do. It's downloading now. Currently trying to choose a new graphics card to go with it.

Did you get drunk and get the tattoo?

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Yes. And opted not to remove it. And have spent the second half of the game regretting it. But I suppose that's appropriate.

• Options
    Excellent.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Just ordered myself a new graphics card. So this game is going to have cost me £180. It better be fucking good!

Although I'll be using the game through steam sharing from my brother's account, rather than owning it myself, so that saves me... *checks current sale price*... £7.50. So. That's good.

Maybe I should send an invoice to Henry Cavill because really this is all his fault.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    The only EGS game I've picked up so far is Afterparty.

I have 62 games in my library.

Mwx884o.jpg
This discussion has been closed.