As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Adore EA & Corruption 2029 out today!

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Fuck I think I'm gonna start up a new game of the Witcher 3

An endeavor I in absolutely no uncertain terms have no time for

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Why have a murder barn if youre going to murder people outside of it

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I also like the one from I think the first game where he's hiding in a stone coffin until nothing because he's facing a cursed person who transforms

Madican on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

You're a gentleman and a scholar

I have yet to encounter anything like her in the game and now I'm afeared

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I also like the one from I think the first game where he's hiding in a stone coffin until nothing because he's facing a cursed person who transforms

This had the dual purpose of keeping him alive and breaking the curse.

Very rad though.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Witcher 2 opening cinematic was also very cool. CDPR are quite good at those.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Zombie Army 4: Dead War – 101 Trailer | PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7U0nVMGD1w

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    It certainly does not look as though this would be the case but I like to imagine that the Zombie Army series is wildly crushingly popular in some sector of humanity I have been utterly unaware of

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    One of the Nancy Drew games has what I genuinely consider to be the most well executed jumpscare of all time.

Please elaborate!

Shadow at the Water's Edge (spoiled just on the off chance anyone ever chooses to play the game):
    The game as a whole has some pretty purposefully creepy segments, particularly the parts where you explore the hotel at night, but no outright spooks. Towards the end as you're piecing things together, you find a safe in the basement containing a long puzzle which, when solved, lets you pick up some crucial plot items. As you turn around from the safe, an extremely creepy looking doll lurches into the frame out of nowhere, with no musical sting or warning that anything besides you was in room (when you enter the room, it's empty). It works because it's so unexpected and the game hasn't done anything like it up to that point.

Here's a video of it happening on Day[9]'s stream when he was playing it on his show Mostly Walking.
    Jesus, what in the hell.

Okay I think I know what Nancy Drew game Abby Russell needs to play next

@moriveth Unless I misheard the title I think you got your wish.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    What non-mouse, non-keyboard, non-console-style-controller input devices do you folks use for your PC gaming, if any?

I have a Logitech G13 gamepad that's pretty good, but it's starting to get a little old and the rubberized plastic on the thumbstick is getting sticky. I'd like to get a replacement of some kind, but Logitech no longer makes the G13. When I search online, I mostly come across two alternatives: Razer Tartarus/Orbweaver, and some truly garish gamepads from no-name manufacturers.

The Razer products are kinda OK (they're the descendants of the Nostromo n52, which, RIP, was my first gamepad), I think they'll fit my needs, but I'd rather not buy Razer if possible - partially because I'm not a fan of the aesthetic, partially because their CEO sounds like a huge prick.

The products from no-name manufacturers are interesting to look at, but a lot of them seem like they'll take up too much space on the desk, and I'd be wary of quality control issues. Also, I don't think I've seen one that has a thumbstick, which I'd really like to have.

There is a really cool thing I've come across: the Azeron, a device that's (as far as I can tell) hand-assembled, and housed in a 3D-printed shell, originally brought to you by an inventor from Latvia. This is the most intriguing gamepad I've found, as it does the most novel stuff with the input. I also appreciate the mom-and-pop spirit of it. However, it's too expensive to just get on a whim, and I don't know how much I'll like it/will get used to it. Also, are 3D printed shells OK? I guess it's not too different from molded plastic, other than a rougher surface, right? I don't have any experience with 3D printing.

Parallel to this, I'm also interested in the possibility of something that can be held in one hand, has a thumbstick, and can work alongside a mouse. There's the SplitFish FragFX, which has been around for a while, but it also looks a tad janky. Apparently, folks have used PlayStation Move Navigation controllers with success, which looks like a pretty interesting approach. I also just now saw a small controller that's basically like a ring with a thumbstick and a few buttons, but looks like it's intended for slideshow presentations and has lag that's too high for gaming.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    One of the Nancy Drew games has what I genuinely consider to be the most well executed jumpscare of all time.

Please elaborate!

Shadow at the Water's Edge (spoiled just on the off chance anyone ever chooses to play the game):
    The game as a whole has some pretty purposefully creepy segments, particularly the parts where you explore the hotel at night, but no outright spooks. Towards the end as you're piecing things together, you find a safe in the basement containing a long puzzle which, when solved, lets you pick up some crucial plot items. As you turn around from the safe, an extremely creepy looking doll lurches into the frame out of nowhere, with no musical sting or warning that anything besides you was in room (when you enter the room, it's empty). It works because it's so unexpected and the game hasn't done anything like it up to that point.

Here's a video of it happening on Day[9]'s stream when he was playing it on his show Mostly Walking.
    Jesus, what in the hell.

Okay I think I know what Nancy Drew game Abby Russell needs to play next

moriveth Unless I misheard the title I think you got your wish.

it's the one, yeah

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I'm wondering when is the best time to go to Skellige, story wise?

I'm just doing
    Get Junior. I feel like I should stick in Novigrad at least long enough to rescue Dandelion, but I don't want to leave it so late before going to Skellige that I won't have anything left to come back to Novigrad for. But I also don't want to go there too early if it's going to make the story weird.

I don't really care about under or over levelling because I have a mod that lets me adjust the difficulty however I want.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Get Junior sucks

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I'm also gonna do a Witcher 3 playthrough

We need to all make a pact to finish it

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Thing is you can go anywhere at almost any time in Witcher 3 and at least the final checkpoint is very obvious on which quests you are going to fail by progressing.

I would look up more specific info but I am at skool on my phone so not worth the effort.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I'm wondering when is the best time to go to Skellige, story wise?

I'm just doing
    Get Junior. I feel like I should stick in Novigrad at least long enough to rescue Dandelion, but I don't want to leave it so late before going to Skellige that I won't have anything left to come back to Novigrad for. But I also don't want to go there too early if it's going to make the story weird.

I don't really care about under or over levelling because I have a mod that lets me adjust the difficulty however I want.

pretty much finish that quest and you can go

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    My husband downloaded a nude Geralt mod as a goof and forgot to uninstall it before I played, and I accidentally disrobed and BOY WAS I SURPRISED

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    bud geralt?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    No idea what you're talking about, definitely didn't make a typo on literally the most important word in the post

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Geralt is my buddy

• Options
    Geralt is my buddy

Geralt gets in all sorts of whacky adventures this spring on Nickelodeon as he's joined by his new apprentice Witcher Billy.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Hmm, this quest to find Griffin armour is rated level 11. I'm level 12 so let's go do that.

Okay, a bunch of level 7 wraiths, that's no problem. Oh hello what is this, a level 20 leshen? What the fuck is a leshen and why is it level 20 in a level 11 quest.

Time to heroically run away again.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    That probably wasn't actually a part of your quest, they just show up sometimes

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    get the cat school armor

Take the monsters to the gun show.

• Options
    I have the basic cat armour but I can't wear it for another 5 levels

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I remember I stopped in SKellige.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I love the design of the Leshen. Fucking ghost trees ruining everything

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I also had a Leshen show up at that griffin place.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I have definitely taken shortcuts through the woods early on and WHOOPS THERE'S A LESHEN

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I have definitely taken shortcuts through the woods early on and WHOOPS THERE'S A LESHEN

Leshen learned.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    There's a neat incidental dialogue where a child is telling its mother it saw a funny man in the woods, she humors him for a bit until he says it was a tree man, and then she starts freaking out and yelling, "You are never to go into those woods again! Never! Do you understand?"

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I didn't meet my first Leshen until I was well into the game in late Skellige, more or less at a point where I never prepped and hadn't needed to run away from anything for weeks and weeks.

So that was a helpful reminder.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Oh, they added the Leshen, a famous Monster Hunter monster, to the Witcher?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XoUtGL4KBc

man gaming crossovers are crazy!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Leshy gotta get off the leash sometimes.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

I think that happened to me just now as well. I fast traveled to the nearest signpost and figured I'd just cut through the forest a bit, and while on the way this thing materialised right next to me. I didn't see what it was because it scared the crap out of me and I just saw a red skull so I ran, and took Roach off the side of a mountain and landed in an endrega nest. Then found the leshen inside the tomb. So maybe it was the same thing in the woods.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I’m a few hours into Blasphemous and while I’m digging the atmosphere and visuals, something about the combat and movement is just rubbing me the wrong way.

Right now it feels weirdly clunky and disconnected, without any real flow to it.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I'd say the environment is your main enemy in Blasphemous other than bosses, and combat isn't deep enough to make it satisfying to master. Sometimes there are challenging enemies, but it's mostly a matter of figuring out how to get past them because generally beating mooks isn't the biggest obstacle preventing progress.

The atmosphere, side characters, and challenge are the big draws of the game. In case you had the same issue I did, when you successfully parry an attack, the Penitent One automatically counterattacks, and you have to time his hit with the attack button to get a critical. Is there a specific thing you've been feeling off put by in the gameplay?

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I'd say the environment is your main enemy in Blasphemous other than bosses, and combat isn't deep enough to make it satisfying to master. Sometimes there are challenging enemies, but it's mostly a matter of figuring out how to get past them because generally beating mooks isn't the biggest obstacle preventing progress.

The atmosphere, side characters, and challenge are the big draws of the game. In case you had the same issue I did, when you successfully parry an attack, the Penitent One automatically counterattacks, and you have to time his hit with the attack button to get a critical. Is there a specific thing you've been feeling off put by in the gameplay?

One thing that absolutely irks me is that when you do a falling attack, PO will always do a regular attack in the air first, throwing off your momentum and timing, and leaving you extremely open to interruption and damage.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Just finished Kathy Rain. It was pretty good. Fun little adventure game with an interesting story, and the puzzles were difficult but not insurmountable. Only had to brute force one.

• Options
    Get Junior
    I killed Wiley. Geralt said it was because he'd fought with Ciri, and said nothing about the torture and mass murder of women in the house, which was my actual reason. Come on Geralt, Ciri can clearly handle her own shit.

This discussion has been closed.