As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

everyone's back at their [job] and it's THE WORST

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    V1m wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    I made some mild progress on resolving the persistent HIPAA violations caused by some daffy old lady giving my phone number to a hospital clinic. The bad news is I'm still getting calls. The good news is, I've now spoken with every doctor and nurse in the clinic, they're all aware of the issue, and so now the seven of us are presenting a united front against the hospital administration, who persistently refuse to fix the problem despite 18 months of complaints.

Well if they want a honking fine that badly, then who are you, etc?

the best part? It's going to be a lot more than one fine, it's one fine per violation

and if you are knowingly violating HIPAA and it's been brought to your attention and you still aren't fixing it? That's an even larger fine... per violation

They do not fuck around, a small insurance company up here near syracuse had to pay 16 million in fines because they weren't addressing people violating it and doing that thing managers do where they hope a problem employee will either quit on their own because they make it uncomfortable to work there or just pretend there isn't a problem.

(Edit: I kid that's just the secretaries at my job and I'm airing my dirty laundry because of my lazy boss... the insurance company got hit with a cryptolocker and they didn't have a good backup and data was breached and exposed)

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I kind of want to work on my days off, Friday and Saturday and take advantage of more of the unlimited OT and do 8 hour shifts but then that means I'd work 11 days in a row.

I also like my days off. Not sure which I like more though, days off or OT money.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I kind of want to work on my days off, Friday and Saturday and take advantage of more of the unlimited OT and do 8 hour shifts but then that means I'd work 11 days in a row.

I also like my days off. Not sure which I like more though, days off or OT money.

The days off are always a better idea unless you desperately need money.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Sounds like you're going to need a drink after this drink.

Wife is picking up a six pack for me on the way to pick me up at the train station.

That was quite possibly the single most miserable experience I've had in a restaurant.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Hey I.T. nerds, what do you think of this integrity rule for a library's database concerning the length of videos that it has available: "The length of the video cannot be greater than the duration, in hours, between the commercialization of the digital video camera and now"?

Yeah, I know, what about footage that's from two or MORE cameras that have been running since that time and edited together into one video?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    I was mostly thinking how I'd try to circumvent it by finding the oldest digital video camera that can use an SDXC card.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Job interview for the University went well I think. Got along with everyone, answered the questions well, and asked good questions. Now due to bureaucracy I get to wait at least two weeks to hear back yea/nay, and the HR lady joked that she might get back to me just to ask for more time. :P She was really nice though and I understand. Still though, I hate the waiting game the most.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Stragint wrote: »

The days off are always a better idea unless you desperately need money.

Yea, I would normally never work more than 5 days a week but the mini peak in calls for student loans had already slowed down a lot. Average wait time for a call is 5 to 20 minutes.

I could sit around playing pokemon and beat pokemon Eevee and then switch to sword.

I just feel like because I have zero plans to do anything I might as well take advantage of this OT since they only offer it in January and then June to September.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Do we have a mail thread? I think we should have a mail thread so I can complain every time something is
    - shipped inexplicably halfway across the country in the wrong direction
    - marked as 'shipped' because they printed out a label but nobody has actually given it to the delivery service
    - marked as 'delivered to resident' but was actually stolen
    - marked as 'delivered to resident' but was actually thrown through into the foyer of a completely different building
    - marked as 'delivered to resident' because the delivery driver wanted to go home on time and just lied, it's still in his van
    - given a 5-10 day delivery estimate but you can't lodge a complaint about non-delivery until 90 days have passed

all of these have happened to me in the last month

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Jeez, sounds like you're ready to go postal

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Aight, time to run an UPDATE query in prod!

so382t3nskky.png

Bah, nobody remembers a coward! Chew it, Punchie!

I'm worried about you and I want you to be honest with me

are you USING?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    First day of my time off. I don't need to get up at 4:30, yay!

Unfortunately the baby likes to start screaming at 4:30, so I'm awake then anyway. Boo.

• Options
    That's me whenever I go home. "Hey I have nowhere I'm supposed to be, I can sleep in as long as I want!"
    then a 100-pound dog lies on my face at 6.30am because he wants to take his stupid rubber pig out the back gate to watch the joggers.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Got an 8.19% pay rise

Cool

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Lend us a tenner

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    That's me whenever I go home. "Hey I have nowhere I'm supposed to be, I can sleep in as long as I want!"
    then a 100-pound dog lies on my face at 6.30am because he wants to take his stupid rubber pig out the back gate to watch the joggers.

Your dog, I hope?

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    One of the perks of working in a lab is that there is always plenty of 70% ethanol available for cleaning your keyboard and mouse.

On a related note, curse this corporeal form and all its concomitant residues.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    huh
    I came in this morning all gung-ho about "I'm gonna try THIS thing and we'll see if it works!" and it did work so
    ... now I'm not sure what to do with myself. I'm not used to things being functional first try

... lunch?

That's what the forums are for, right?

The forums are for when I get so sick of things not working that I gotta go look at puppies and argue about fuckstyles or whatever. Not for when things are going well!

So the forums are only for the bad times not the good times we see how it is

you guys are the trashpit of slurry I wallow in when the world is on fire.

*examines self in mirror*

Math checks out.

• Options
    Butler wrote: »

Your dog, I hope?

I would be thrilled if a giant friendly dog I didn't know was in my bed when I woke up.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Your dog, I hope?

No one knows where the dog, or his stupid rubber pig, comes from, or how he keeps getting into tynic's room.

All efforts to stop him have failed.

• Options
    Definitely a dog. Beyond that, better not to speculate.

n7suxymb9nlb.jpg

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Actual interaction. It's good that I get such a kick out of referencing things that children don't get at all.

Student: This is bullshit. I'm Gen-Z, I'm supposed to know how to do computers.

Expendable: Have you ever actually put in the work and learned how to use them?

Student: Well, no, but

Expendable: You're not a Goa'uld. You don't have the entire sum of knowledge and memories from your ancestors passed to you via genetics. You have to actually learn things.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Your dog, I hope?

No one knows where the dog, or his stupid rubber pig, comes from, or how he keeps getting into tynic's room.

All efforts to stop him have failed.

It's using the pod for transport, obviously.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    Actual interaction. It's good that I get such a kick out of referencing things that children don't get at all.

Expendable: You're not a Goa'uld. You don't have the entire sum of knowledge and memories from your ancestors passed to you via genetics. You have to actually learn things.

"why would you know how to use computers? It was our generation who learned how to use computers and then made them easy enough to use so our parents and your generation could use them without us having to constantly tell them how."

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Left early yesterday, off work today. Not feeling very well, but have to go in tomorrow. Doctor says it's not the flu, at least, so I should get better soon

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Working is so overrated.

Can I not work anymore?

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Working is so overrated.

Can I not work anymore?

Hypothetical yes

Actual answer, depends. Do you have means of surviving free of money?

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    expendable wrote: »

"why would you know how to use computers? It was our generation who learned how to use computers and then made them easy enough to use so our parents and your generation could use them without us having to constantly tell them how."

Nah, no one knows how to use computers. You must accept that and find your crutch to dealing with them.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I am finding a lot of younger people can’t use a PC. It’s a good reminder that those are skills we’ll need to teach our kids.

It’s understandable. Our kids have access to iPads and gaming systems but not actual PCs. At schools iPads have taken over PCs, too. Anya got in trouble once for cracking the iPad code and installing an app without adult permission, but the only time she’s touched an actual keyboard is when she’s played on her grandpa’s laptop. I’m also finding that the same employees who don’t know how to save a document or perform basic word/excel functions also don’t own PCs.

• Options
    One of the perks of working in a lab is that there is always plenty of 70% ethanol available for cleaning your keyboard and mouse.

I found out I gouged a chunk out of my thumb this morning by giving a sensor component a 98% ethanol bath.
    it's not my favourite way to discover injuries.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

Use DMSO, coward.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Do not use DMSO.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

I found out I gouged a chunk out of my thumb this morning by giving a sensor component a 98% ethanol bath.

This implies a hierarchy of discovering injuries, which I am quite interested in hearing.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I often get sight like "When did that happen?" them remember a few days previous slamming something or cutting myself and going "Huh I should put a band aid on that" and then forgetting about it for days

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Just get some gaseous hex in there, that will clean it.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »

This implies a hierarchy of discovering injuries, which I am quite interested in hearing.

"glance down, shrug, continue"

"AUUUGH OH GOD SO MUCH BLOOD"

and a couple of other steps in between

• Options
    I discover the vast majority of my injuries by finding blood on something and thinking "huh, where did this blood come from."

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Use DMSO, coward.

I don’t want to taste garlic though

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Use DMSO, coward.

I don’t want to taste garlic though

Real technicians use FOOF when something must be scoured from the earth...and this mortal plane...and the umbral plane...and...well...look lets just say the gods got drunk one night and Satan dared them to eat his homemade Kimchi and they've been dealing with this crap ever since, it's like a galactic SUPERFUND thing going on ok?

credit to https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2010/02/23/things_i_wont_work_with_dioxygen_difluoride for that fun bit of reading.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Lend us a tenner

Yeah alright

This discussion has been closed.