Options

everyone's back at their [job] and it's THE WORST

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The University keeps sending masters students to interview me. I am going assume it is because I am such an awesome librarian and they need to replicate my amazing skills on a future generation.

Turn every single interview upside-down and use it as an opportunity to interview them. Also, make sure you ask them all for their skull measurements and give increasingly fantastic, obviously fake, reasons for each one if they ask.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Fuck

My coworker is also doing the computer course, and it's something he's genuinely unfamiliar with

Now I'm having it inflicted on me while we watches the training videos

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Apparently NCIS's Introduction to Networks, Computers, and Hardware course is mandatory for our work space regardless of your background.

Our poor, poor new IT guy is getting to learn what a motherboard is and what RAM does. I am being helpful and explaining them in detail while he silently fumes.

If I was running that I would just have an insufferable number of TV show NCIS gifs and such spread throughout.

You'd really just need one.
    giphy.gif

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    Apparently NCIS's Introduction to Networks, Computers, and Hardware course is mandatory for our work space regardless of your background.

Our poor, poor new IT guy is getting to learn what a motherboard is and what RAM does. I am being helpful and explaining them in detail while he silently fumes.

If I was running that I would just have an insufferable number of TV show NCIS gifs and such spread throughout.

You'd really just need one.
    giphy.gif

Yessss. This is what i immediately thought of and oh to see that IT guy's face

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Effectuate is a stupid word

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Given that it's just a longer version of the verb-use of "effect," yes, yes it is.

A prime example of a word people say to sound smart that's actually just clunkier than a more commonly used word.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Given that it's just a longer version of the verb-use of "effect," yes, yes it is.

A prime example of a word people say to sound smart that's actually just clunkier than a more commonly used word.

How perfectly cromulent.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

You've got to effectuate to accumulutululate

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

You've got to effectuate to accumulutululate

Isn't that just a large drink at Starbucks?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Orca wrote: »
    stopgap wrote: »
    Job thread, my father passed away last week. We had a difficult relationship over the years, one that improved in the years before his passing as he got worse.

I am in the process of preparing to leave my company and they are giving me 7 days of bereavement, with pay. I feel guilty and thankful and a mess.

How have people here dealt with life and death and work?

Take what they'll give you and don't feel guilty. Do feel thankful if they're going above and beyond. Don't make sudden changes in your life circumstances unless they've been long planned. You've got enough shit going on that unplanned for changes can turn an already topsy-turvy situation completely on its head.

I've personally found work to be a useful distraction, but my productivity was garbage for a couple months as I came to terms with the new normal. Prepare for similar. And be ready for grief to strike out of nowhere in the coming days, weeks, months, and years. But it will grow less and less frequent with time. Time does heal all wounds, eventually.

My condolences. Losing a loved one is always rough.

Also, if your company has EAP, take advantage. They will have counselors who will keep your conversation confidential, and can refer you to a local therapist for several sessions covered.

When my mother passed, I called my manager and told him that I wouldn't be in until after the funeral. With my grandmother, I went in for a half day to get things straight so I wouldn't worry for the rest of the week - when I told my manager then, his first response was "why are you here?", which was a fair question. Most recently, my uncle passed suddenly last year - I emailed my manager then called EAP, to come back to a somewhat urgent voice mail asking me to get in touch with him. I've also been around two unexpected deaths in the office as well - in those cases, the company provided support resources to us on site.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Started my morning with a stress cry before getting ready for work

Apparently God has decided to continue my exhaustion streak by comically making the ceiling leak the equivalent of a shot glass of water on my head while I sit at my desk every twenty minutes or so, the third time of which happened as I went to take a bite out of my sandwich

I at least got my boss to report it so maybe in 15-20 business days they'll repeat what they did last year, which was to look up and say "well, it isn't leaking now" and do exactly nothing about it

The job search continues

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

Apparently God has decided to continue my exhaustion streak by comically making the ceiling leak the equivalent of a shot glass of water on my head while I sit at my desk every twenty minutes or so, the third time of which happened as I went to take a bite out of my sandwich

I at least got my boss to report it so maybe in 15-20 business days they'll repeat what they did last year, which was to look up and say "well, it isn't leaking now" and do exactly nothing about it

The job search continues

Time lapse video proof it?

Or engineer a beautiful disaster for when they finally come

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options

The job search continues

It's hard to record because it just suddenly happens and then stops with no warning, unfortunately

Steam
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    There's also a huge difference between being naked in a locker room because you're changing, and walking up to someone and captain morganing in front of them to show off your droopy old man balls.

Hey now. If you got balls someday they'll be droopy. Ain't a bad thing, it just happens

Of course. But also don't, as said above, go all Captain Morgan on people.

I knew oatmeal isn't a favorite comic by everyone on these boards, but damn if it doesn't have a panel this content perfectly.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular

The job search continues

It's hard to record because it just suddenly happens and then stops with no warning, unfortunately

Rig up an elaborate (or not elaborate) catchment system that drains the water into your computer. Or a bucket.

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »

The job search continues

Rig up an elaborate (or not elaborate) catchment system that drains the water into your computer. Or a bucket.

Conveniently, I came back from lunch to see the bucket solution was implemented

Directly where my chair has to be so I can access my computers

Cool

Steam
  • Options
    /facepalm

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

The job search continues

Cool

Problem is solved, why are you complaining

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Orca wrote: »

The job search continues

Cool

Problem is solved, why are you complaining

They wil just tell him to put the bucket on his head if he does.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular

The job search continues

Cool

So, half day then?

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Hey Boston folks, I'm headed down for an overnight training in a few weeks. If I Uber from my training to Quincy Market so I can hit Newbury Comics, is it walkable from there to the Battery Wharf Hotel? If so, am I correct when I look at my map that I'll pass through Little Italy so I could grab dinner and pastries to bring back to my room?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Hey Boston folks, I'm headed down for an overnight training in a few weeks. If I Uber from my training to Quincy Market so I can hit Newbury Comics, is it walkable from there to the Battery Wharf Hotel? If so, am I correct when I look at my map that I'll pass through Little Italy so I could grab dinner and pastries to bring back to my room?

Judging from google maps, yeah, long as half a mile ish isn't too much

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »

The job search continues

Cool

So, half day then?

God, I wish

They haven't done anything else other than the bucket and my boss hasn't come by since

Steam
  • Options
    Aaaaand now the guy in charge of building issues came by to say nothing doing, the pipes have to leak out, it might be drained by tomorrow and maybe they'll patch it up when it's warm out, as this is likely snow melt

Never mind that this is far from the end of the winter season so this will likely happen again when we get more winter weather and snow melt

Steam
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Responded to a crazy person trying to get into a school bus today. Thankfully there were no kids on the bus. Crazy Person's reasoning? He said that President Trump said on the tv that school buses are being used for sex trafficking purposes and that the bus driver was suspicious because he was wearing sunglasses.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    Responded to a crazy person trying to get into a school bus today. Thankfully there were no kids on the bus. Crazy Person's reasoning? He said that President Trump said on the tv that school buses are being used for sex trafficking purposes and that the bus driver was suspicious because he was wearing sunglasses.

Well, QAnon proceeds to become more terrifying.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Aaaaand now the guy in charge of building issues came by to say nothing doing, the pipes have to leak out, it might be drained by tomorrow and maybe they'll patch it up when it's warm out, as this is likely snow melt

Never mind that this is far from the end of the winter season so this will likely happen again when we get more winter weather and snow melt

Funnel it right into somewhere "inconvenient".

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

Funnel it right into somewhere "inconvenient".

It already is!

• Options
    For the building manager.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Actually got some really solid and helpful support from some colleagues/my boss today, which was slightly surprising but also great

Looks like it might continue too, so that's good. I don't think I'll dread waking up on workdays so much any more!

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Hmm. One of the main computers here was repeatedly hard locking, but after leaving it alone for an hour or so it finally started working again. Event view showed around a thousand disk errors and SMART is showing the drive's health as 'caution'. The raw values for Reallocated Sector(s) Count was over 33,000 and Uncorrectable Sector Count was 1462. So yeah, that hard drive is looking to be on it's last legs. I ran Chkdsk and it says it corrected the errors but the data in CrystalDiskInfo has not changed. About the only thing I can do right now is keep an eye on the drive and see if it gets any worse. If it does get worse I'll have to pull a hard drive out of another computer, do a clean install, and transfer over the files we need. Maybe I'll get lucky and be allowed to spend $50 on a new hard drive, but I'm holding out hope for that.

The power on time is 56,622 hours. Almost 6.5 years. In those years is been off for, at most, a few days only because of power outages. For a computer that's under constant use that's not too bad.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    Hmm. One of the main computers here was repeatedly hard locking, but after leaving it alone for an hour or so it finally started working again. Event view showed around a thousand disk errors and SMART is showing the drive's health as 'caution'. The raw values for Reallocated Sector(s) Count was over 33,000 and Uncorrectable Sector Count was 1462. So yeah, that hard drive is looking to be on it's last legs. I ran Chkdsk and it says it corrected the errors but the data in CrystalDiskInfo has not changed. About the only thing I can do right now is keep an eye on the drive and see if it gets any worse. If it does get worse I'll have to pull a hard drive out of another computer, do a clean install, and transfer over the files we need. Maybe I'll get lucky and be allowed to spend $50 on a new hard drive, but I'm holding out hope for that.

The power on time is 56,622 hours. Almost 6.5 years. In those years is been off for, at most, a few days only because of power outages. For a computer that's under constant use that's not too bad.

If it works for your use case a SSD can be had for $30-$70 bucks.

Steam
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

If they can't/won't spring a minimal amount of money for what is plainly a piece of essential equipment, they deserve what they get.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular

If they can't/won't spring a minimal amount of money for what is plainly a piece of essential equipment, they deserve what they get.

Oh the stories I could tell about repercussions for not doing essential regular maintenance that have cost this company tens of thousands of dollars over the years. They've yet to learn and with money being tighter now than it's ever been the outlook is not good.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Just finished my PhD candidacy.

Now I have to sit in the mail room while the panel of professors vote on whether to pass me

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    Just finished my PhD candidacy.

Now I have to sit in the mail room while the panel of professors vote on whether to pass me

How big was the snake?

Steam
  • Options
    Well, they're laughing, so I think that means I passed

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I did it, I wrestled the snake

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I did it, I wrestled the snake

Oh good, that means I can post this now:
    Well, they're laughing, so I think that means I passed

That or they're super duper cruel and this is your supervillain origin story moment.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I built a new desk for myself that I bought with my tax return!

I didn't do work I needed to do for tomorrow!

This discussion has been closed.