Options

everyone's back at their [job] and it's THE WORST

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Oh, another assignment was to explain what ethical philosophies Bohemian Rhapsody, My Life, and Born This Way. (Nihilism, ethical egoism, and postmodern obvs.)

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Applied for two jobs. Ugh.

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    I mean I'm sure it's some of the first but I'm pretty sure most of it is just no longer giving a shit about society's weird hangups about the human body.

I'd say it's more former than latter, I'm sure the latter is a part of it, but you should probably respect people's boundaries and not put your droopy balls 4 inches from their face either.

Old dudes trying to hold conversations with me in gym locker rooms whilst being too close is one of two reasons I don't use gym locker rooms.

The gym I go to, courtesy of where my wife works, has the traditional "Men" & "Women" locker rooms, but has a much larger "Universal" locker room. The universal locker room has private toilets, private changing rooms, private showers, and rules that forbid getting naked in the common areas.

It. Is. Awesome.

Huh...
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Is the person who decides that out sick?

Nope! She is in, but she is sick. I think half the people that ARE in are also sick.

I've avoided it... surprisingly.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The only gift Mori has not received is the gift of pathogens.

• Options
    the new computer test i think i'll have is no longer "can it run crysis"

can it do zonal statistics for the whole of the united states in, let's see, at least under an hour?

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Update: still have a job. Another (yes, another) VP is getting laid off for other shenanigans. Unrelated, last week several faculty were laid off for trading research grants for PHD admittance as was the admin hired to investigate the allegation in 2016 who then joined in on the grift instead through 2018.

New admin over my admin is now checking budgets down to the line item. I'm writing paragraph justifications for ordering each textbook for cohorts. They have, in turn, spent something in the range of 3 grand on a party to welcome themselves to the role (which, by most concessions accounts, including their own, is more than we should have in a year for food). Apparently they now realize this and are trying to get other units to give away their own funds to cover the "mistake."

Another admin in a neighboring unit decided to just walk away from everything for 4 continuous days with no notice to everyone and ignored his payroll. He only replied in one word to a final warning from his boss that he had to respond to his payroll needs or else.

Things are interesting, for sure.

• Options
    Ugh, the worst part about the office MAYBE closing early today is that it's hard for me to get work done because I don't know when we'll close, exactly. Probably not earlier than 1, I'd imagine.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    Update: still have a job. Another (yes, another) VP is getting laid off for other shenanigans. Unrelated, last week several faculty were laid off for trading research grants for PHD admittance as was the admin hired to investigate the allegation in 2016 who then joined in on the grift instead through 2018.

New admin over my admin is now checking budgets down to the line item. I'm writing paragraph justifications for ordering each textbook for cohorts. They have, in turn, spent something in the range of 3 grand on a party to welcome themselves to the role (which, by most concessions accounts, including their own, is more than we should have in a year for food). Apparently they now realize this and are trying to get other units to give away their own funds to cover the "mistake."

Another admin in a neighboring unit decided to just walk away from everything for 4 continuous days with no notice to everyone and ignored his payroll. He only replied in one word to a final warning from his boss that he had to respond to his payroll needs or else.

This legit sounds like the school is falling apart. Jesus lord.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular

Are you sure you're not working for a university in central america?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Are you sure you're not working for a university in Hell?

• Options
    Meanwhile Batman and his refusal to kill the Joker is perfect for explaining virtue ethics vice consequentialism.

I wish there had been more ethical philosophy courses at my school.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Friday afternoons at work alternate between frantic nonsense and extreme boredom

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Why don't they just build a prison which can hold the Joker

• Options
    Platy wrote: »
    Why don't they just build a prison which can hold the Joker

The Gotham Asylum is owned by Big Comic.

• Options
    This old lady regular who's been commuting to DC for decades has the best stories

"This reminds me of when guys were getting ulcers in the 80's so they started ordering scotch with milk."

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Today is definitely a "Why am I even here?" kind of day.

Just remember, I graduate in May....

• Options
    Okay I guess we ARE closing early today, I'm just not sure how early

Still, hey, even if it was like an hour early, that'd still be rad.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Surprise snow day! I have spent the day thus far half asleep on the couch with the cats and watching The Good Place. And tomorrow is Saturday!

What kind of Fridax is it if you went to bed on the real 3-day Fridax and didn't know it?

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    My annual review went much better than expected!

I don't feel like going into detail, but what a relief.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The only gift Mori has not received is the gift of pathogens.

He has kids, give it time.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Regrettably I had to return to Walmart. I had the start of orientation while taking the group I was assigned to as the scavenger hunt I saw my not manager. He was looking at something on his phone looked up with a WTF that turned into a scowl. Back in the training room he was in there for something he walked about called the flaky Manager over said something to him where the flake said It's too late there is nothing I can do.
    I went to break so while going to the bathroom I saw the Toxic manager who just did not look happy when he saw me

Sadly I walked back into hell

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Regrettably I had to return to Walmart. I had the start of orientation while taking the group I was assigned to as the scavenger hunt I saw my not manager. He was looking at something on his phone looked up with a WTF that turned into a scowl. Back in the training room he was in there for something he walked about called the flaky Manager over said something to him where the flake said It's too late there is nothing I can do.
    I went to break so while going to the bathroom I saw the Toxic manager who just did not look happy when he saw me

I'm sorry you're going back into that toxic environment man, especially considering what a fucking nightmare your management was to you. For your own mental and physical health please try to find something else as soon as you can. The fact those two assholes are still there means they will have some level of control over you no matter what department you're in and they will most likely try to make your life a living hell now that you're back in there. Just try to take care of yourself and minimize contact with them as much as possible, and document every goddamn thing they do if they try to start shit again.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

I'm sorry you're going back into that toxic environment man, especially considering what a fucking nightmare your management was to you. For your own mental and physical health please try to find something else as soon as you can. The fact those two assholes are still there means they will have some level of control over you no matter what department you're in and they will most likely try to make your life a living hell now that you're back in there. Just try to take care of yourself and minimize contact with them as much as possible, and document every goddamn thing they do if they try to start shit again.

That is part of the plan if I am stuck there my main goal no matter what I do is to save X to leave

It was funny as many people asked if I was coming back to which I replied sadly/with regret but they seemed happy I came back except for those two
    One of the people in the class asked the HR manager running the class what that was about and she said I cannot talk about it with a worried look

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Me: Greetings, horrible teen. You are banned for a month. Here is your ban letter.
    HT: I don't want your stupid fucking letter, get that away from me.
    Me: You're probably going to want it so you know when you can come back.
    HT: A month, right? That's like the eighth?

I mean, the actual incident took place last week, so the letter clearly states that he's allowed back in on the 29th. But you know, he didn't really seem interested in continuing the conversation, so I kept my stupid fucking letter.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I think I need to be talked down from irrationality.

I'm sitting next to a co-worker who has said they are not feeling well and are coughing a lot, after we were given explicit instructions from my boss's boss's boss to stay home if not feeling perfect because the coronavirus was confirmed in our city. My supervisor thanked her for coming in while not feeling well (because he didn't want to cover her shift until midnight, and he doesn't need to be in the same room as her).

I... I'm feeling worried even though I know I shouldn't be, but I can't help it.

Edit: Probably should mention, but this is a hotel front desk with a LOT of international guests. Even if you just have a cold, DON'T FUCKING COME TO WORK

Veevee on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    You are being somewhat irrational in a very specific and narrow sense, in that the novel coronavirus is still so rare in the US that each new case makes the news, and there are common pathogens currently floating around your city that are thousands of times more likely to be infecting your coworker.

You are being perfectly rational in that it is still super shitty to come to work sick and infect your coworker with a plain old boring cold. A virus doesn't have to be newsworthy to be deeply unpleasant and at least potentially dangerous.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    You are being somewhat irrational in a very specific and narrow sense, in that the novel coronavirus is still so rare in the US that each new case makes the news, and there are common pathogens currently floating around your city that are thousands of times more likely to be infecting your coworker.

You are being perfectly rational in that it is still super shitty to come to work sick and infect your coworker with a plain old boring cold. A virus doesn't have to be newsworthy to be deeply unpleasant and at least potentially dangerous.

It's shitty to make everyone sick, but the manager's reaction of thanking the coworker instead of insisting they go home explains the coworker's action: being thanked means they did the right thing, in their boss's eyes, and as far as keeping a job that's the most important thing.

In other words, I blame the manager, not the coworker.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

It's shitty to make everyone sick, but the manager's reaction of thanking the coworker instead of insisting they go home explains the coworker's action: being thanked means they did the right thing, in their boss's eyes, and as far as keeping a job that's the most important thing.

Give people shitty incentives and they behave shittily! I really wish so many managers weren't so very bad at their jobs.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Thanks, it's always good to know when your feelings of irrationality aren't completely off base.

...I think my co-worker just put her head down and might be taking a quick nap at the front desk?

30 minutes and I get to go home

• Options
    I had about 4 hours of sleep before I walked back to hell did all the stuff of orientation came home and mentally crashed

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    It's been a long 3 days of my manager being out, one week to go! So I decide to pop by the bar for a nice, quiet few rounds before heading home to unwind from the stress of being in charge. Well, there's a bunch of the whitest of white people in here before going to see their super privileged white kids play in some sporting event at the private Christian School a few blocks over. On top of that, there's a crowd of people trying to watch the debates while the aforementioned parents yell at each other about their kids and whatever else.

Yay.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    I'm watching the good place for the first time

This show is so good

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    I think I need to be talked down from irrationality.

I'm sitting next to a co-worker who has said they are not feeling well and are coughing a lot, after we were given explicit instructions from my boss's boss's boss to stay home if not feeling perfect because the coronavirus was confirmed in our city. My supervisor thanked her for coming in while not feeling well (because he didn't want to cover her shift until midnight, and he doesn't need to be in the same room as her).

I... I'm feeling worried even though I know I shouldn't be, but I can't help it.

Edit: Probably should mention, but this is a hotel front desk with a LOT of international guests. Even if you just have a cold, DON'T FUCKING COME TO WORK

If it were me, I'd email my boss's boss's boss to let them know my supervisor thanked my coworker for doing exactly what BBB just told everyone NOT to do

But that's just me

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

This show is so good

Oh just wait.

And know that line is applicable after every single episode.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Cambiata wrote: »

Give people shitty incentives and they behave shittily! I really wish so many managers weren't so very bad at their jobs.

Probably this manager has had staff taken away from them compared to what they actually need to get through the amount of work the team has to do. It's a bad decision and bad culture but it stems from stripping teams to the bone and demanding that junior leadership just get more work out of staff, so if someone is sick/takes leave you drop backwards really quickly. Most junior managers actually have zero control over how many staff they get.

Solar on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Are you sure you're not working for a university in central america?

With the way extensive and radical amounts and levels of corruption are being exposed amongst much of the USA's tertiary education industry, I suspect any random university in Nicaragua is probably operating in a much more legal and ethical manner than any random US university.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

This show is so good

Oh just wait.

Absolutely this. I think season 2 is probably my favorite, but 3 is also super good and 4 wraps everything up extremely well. Easily one of my favorite shows of the last 10 years.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I wish I could see The Ballad of Donkey Doug for the first time again

• Options

This show is so good

Oh just wait.

We just got to the episode where Janet brings in lots of cacti

We actually had to pause the show for 10 minutes I was laughing so hard

This discussion has been closed.