As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I’d say if money is ever that tight where $50-$80 could be a huge deal down the road, then said person should wait and pick up the game after it goes on sale. Not to sound rude, but that’s budgeting 101.

You can't make me be responsible! You're not my Dad! Err, are you? No, no, that would be crazy.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    If you don't preorder, you're ruining lives. Corporations are people and how can they eat if you don't preorder. They need to budget! For food! Just like any people!

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I tend to preorder indie games when they offer a prelaunch discount. I'm really bad at resisting sales.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I just noticed that Bloodstained Switch requires a nintendo account to play. Effectively bricking it if I ever delete the account or they go away.

Jesus the switch version sucks so much. I bought it on steam today as it was on sale. It's a million times better.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I just noticed that Bloodstained Switch requires a nintendo account to play. Effectively bricking it if I ever delete the account or they go away.

Jesus the switch version sucks so much. I bought it on steam today as it was on sale. It's a million times better.

I couldn't remember if it required me to link when I originally started playing so I tried on my secondary profile that never played it before. It didn't require a Nintendo account at all.

Edit: Unless you're talking about profiles... which is standard for any console.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I hear the Steam version is pretty bad without a Steam account too!

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm undecided on Animal Crossing. I tend to like games with some closure, an ending where I can stop playing at some point and feel done, and I don't think AC has anything like that?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I'm undecided on Animal Crossing. I tend to like games with some closure, an ending where I can stop playing at some point and feel done, and I don't think AC has anything like that?

Not really. It usually has some defined goals. Paying off your loan, filling the museum, that kind of thing. However in previous games the former of those could be incredibly unsatisfyingly rushed in a week or so if you just grind cash and the latter will take a real world year of playing. The view credits moment is going to see a dog play a gig on any Saturday.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

I love the heck out of Animal Crossing but it’s definitely not for everyone. I played New Leaf for years before getting tired of it. By then I had collected every possible piece of furniture. That’s a long term goal.... but not one everyone would find fun.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Pre-ordering digital releases makes no sense.

Shit, pre-ordering physical releases makes almost no sense either. I've never not been able to pick up a game somewhere.

I only pre-order physical, and generally if it's something I'm pretty sure about. Like Sonic Mania Plus, or the upcoming Yakuza 3-4-5 Collection so I can get the Day 1 edition.

I can still get Yakuza 0 or Kiwami physically, sure, but I'm still kicking myself over missing out on the launch editions -- 0 especially, since that was my entry into the series and I want the special version to commemorate it.

Edit: Oh, and I pre-ordered Monster Boy, because that's one of those "if I don't order it, I'm not even sure they'll get any" games. That, and I wanted the manual.

The only reason I haven't pre-ordered the TurboGrafx-16 mini is because money is tight, and Amazon won't allow you to pay incrementally like EB Games does.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

But the Steam version requires a Steam account to play, effectively bricking it if you ever delete your Steam account or it goes away!
    yes I know I know

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

But the Steam version requires a Steam account to play, effectively bricking it if you ever delete your Steam account or it goes away!
    yes I know I know

How is that not exactly the same issue? Is the joke that Steam is too big to ever fail but Nintendo could?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

yes I know I know

How is that not exactly the same issue? Is the joke that Steam is too big to ever fail but Nintendo could?

I think the idea is that at some point, maybe 15 years from now, Nintendo will sunset it's online services for the Switch, as they did recently for the Wii. That was last year or something?

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Nintendo did actually delete online support from the DSi and Wii despite being flush with cash. Meanwhile Valve is letting people play the original half-life for free at the moment. So yeah, still unreliable digital stuff, but only Nintendo seems to have a plan for actively invalidating your purchases over time.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    All the software still works on those platforms as long as you had it downloaded at the time, and should continue to work. I don't know what they would do about the Switch with various online check-ins. How would family game sharing work if the secondary Switch can't get approval to launch those games? I guess it just wouldn't.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    All the software still works on those platforms as long as you had it downloaded at the time, and should continue to work. I don't know what they would do about the Switch with various online check-ins. How would family game sharing work if the secondary Switch can't get approval to launch those games? I guess it just wouldn't.

Yeah, that seems to be the likely scenario.

I actually wonder about Steam though. It's gotten to the point where they sell games so old, they don't even run on modern systems anymore. I stumble across especially temperamental ones from time to time going through my backlog on Windows 7. Haven't tried lately with Windows 10, although my hopes aren't high. I wonder how odious it is to try to get them running in an emulator or VM with Steam's DRM? Although I know a bunch don't even bother with Steam's DRM, and after you download them with Steam you can launch them with no issues without it. All the stuff that just launches in Dosbox works that way. I actually noticed Slay the Spire does too because it runs in Java I think?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

I'd imagine that it wouldn't be all that difficult to disable that check if something were to happen to Nintendo.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    That's why you buy old games on GoG.
    And yeah Steam stuff with DosBox you can actually mess around with

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    That's why you buy old games on GoG.
    And yeah Steam stuff with DosBox you can actually mess around with

I do if I can. But I'm talking about games that I bought new, or newish, on Steam once upon a time, which are now so old I question whether they'll run on Windows 10. Because Steam is that damned old at this point, and plenty of publishers have either gone under or decided to let their games wither on the vine after 10+ years.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    skeldare wrote: »

I couldn't remember if it required me to link when I originally started playing so I tried on my secondary profile that never played it before. It didn't require a Nintendo account at all.

Edit: Unless you're talking about profiles... which is standard for any console.

mine did

running the most current patch

edit: I think I have around 30 physical games and 15 or so digital and this is the only one thus far that has required separate nintendo accounts to play.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

yes I know I know

Last I checked Nintendo had something like 6 billion in cash reserves (and that was pre-Switch). They could fail 5 console gens in a row and lose 50 lawsuits and they'd be aight.

Edit: I'm actually lowballing it. In 2014 it was reported that they had 10.5 billion in the bank. Billion, capital B Billion.....thats not the companies valuation, that's how much money they have in their Kirby shaped piggy bank......USD.... I'm not even talking yen values.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Namrok wrote: »
    plenty of publishers have either gone under or decided to let their games wither on the vine after 10+ years.
    I think that's less "wither on the vine" and more "rot on the ground", at that point.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

yes I know I know

Last I checked Nintendo had something like 6 billion in cash reserves (and that was pre-Switch). They could fail 5 console gens in a row and lose 50 lawsuits and they'd be aight.

Edit: I'm actually lowballing it. In 2014 it was reported that they had 10.5 billion in the bank. Billion, capital B Billion.....thats not the companies valuation, that's how much money they have in their Kirby shaped piggy bank......USD.... I'm not even talking yen values.

And I guess the switch helped fatten that Kirby even after the Wii U.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Buying Civ 6 on Switch was a great choice. And also a terrible choice. I keep picking it up and a couple turns becomes 20 in a blink

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Buying Civ 6 on Switch was a great choice. And also a terrible choice. I keep picking it up and a couple turns becomes 20 in a blink

Just one more turn

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
      The only reason I haven't pre-ordered the TurboGrafx-16 mini is because money is tight, and Amazon won't allow you to pay incrementally like EB Games does.

You definitely can, Amazon just doesn't tell you how to get around it. Buy Amazon gift cards and apply them to your account. Then change the payment type on your preorder to include your gift card balance.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    • Options
      Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      edited January 2020

yes I know I know

I like bringing this up when people start with the "Nintendo is doomed" arguments. Finance is hard but regardless of that everyone gets what having 10 billion cash means.

Edit:

gif.gif

Handsome Costanza on
      Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    • Options
      cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
      edited January 2020
      I know I'm Captain Late to the Party, but good goddamn Dragon Quest Builders 2 is great. It fixes every complaint I had about the first one and looks to be a very meaty experience -- on the first island alone I've picked up more techniques and such than I seemed to in at least two, maybe three islands in the first game. And it's charming as all hell. To collect, er, "night soil," you have to build a bathroom.

cloudeagle on
      Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    • Options
      Mulletude wrote: »

My only Civ game had been Civ 5, and I was thinking "how in the world can this KBAM game with tons of options and details work on console?" But Civ 6 feels the same and just works great. The interface feels simpler, but I don't feel like I'm lacking anything. It's a little bit of a magic trick.

• Options
      The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
      The DLC still being $50 on Switch is some malarkey, though.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    • Options
      ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
      edited January 2020
      I had picked up Nonograms Prophecy while it was in sale a while ago, and just started playing it because never enough picross. AVOID. Bug ridden, I think it may be the buggiest game I've played on the Switch. Some puzzles won't load correctly; and the row/column guide is not only broken but when it does in fact 'work', you realize they programmed the column display backwards. Ie instead of showing complete/incomplete from top to bottom, it's bottom to top. The cherry on the shit sundae is I didn't see a single original puzzle in the 80 or so boards I cleared; some to the point I recognized them early and just finished them without using the clues

Chiselphane on
    • Options
      homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
      I had picked up Nonograms Prophecy while it was in sale a while ago, and just started playing it because never enough picross. AVOID. Bug ridden, I think it may be the buggiest game I've played on the Switch. Some puzzles won't load correctly; and the row/column guide is not only broken but when it does in fact 'work', you realize they programmed the column display backwards. Ie instead of showing complete/incomplete from top to bottom, it's bottom to top. The cherry on the shit sundae is I didn't see a single original puzzle in the 80 or so boards I cleared; some to the point I recognized them early and just finished them without using the clues

Dang, I paid full price for that. Did you get Pictoquest? I bought that at full price too but haven't gotten around to that either.

• Options
      Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

yes I know I know

I like bringing this up when people start with the "Nintendo is doomed" arguments. Finance is hard but regardless of that everyone gets what having 10 billion cash means.

Edit:

gif.gif

God, I miss Iwata. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
    • Options
      knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
      I just look forward to re-posting that comic in a couple of months when FF:CC drops on Switch.

Only now I'll need 3 more Switches (multiplay on one Switch is not hardcore enough).

Omg, Crisis Core is coming to Switch?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
      -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    • Options
      EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
      He’s talking about Crystal Chronicles I think. Hopefully Crisis Core will join the lineup soonish though

• Options
      knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
      Yes I was intentionally misreading his post for comedic purposes

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
      -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    • Options
      LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
      Shadowfire wrote: »

You definitely can, Amazon just doesn't tell you how to get around it. Buy Amazon gift cards and apply them to your account. Then change the payment type on your preorder to include your gift card balance.

I tried to do that with some gift card credit I'd accumulated, but it still wanted me to use my credit card for the balance.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
      Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    • Options
      ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
      Shadowfire wrote: »

I tried to do that with some gift card credit I'd accumulated, but it still wanted me to use my credit card for the balance.

Yeah so this changed sometime in the past. Ask me how I know.

You can still do it, but you have to contact their support chat to apply the gift card balance to the item. Annoying but still doable.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    • Options
      ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

Dang, I paid full price for that. Did you get Pictoquest? I bought that at full price too but haven't gotten around to that either.

Yes. That one's pretty good and throws some interesting things into the formula. Puzzles as monster/boss fights is neat; I personally don't like timed puzzles in general but they work well in Pictoquest

• Options
      skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA