As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    smells like upscaling

If it's based on Volta like the article claims, that means tensor cores, and that means DLSS like I predicted.

I am here to award you the "You were right (we assume via shakey details) on the internet award" complete with your big check and balloons and confetti.

~kazoo~

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Namrok wrote: »
    smells like upscaling

If it's based on Volta like the article claims, that means tensor cores, and that means DLSS like I predicted.

I am here to award you the "You were right (we assume via shakey details) on the internet award" complete with your big check and balloons and confetti.

~kazoo~

I won't lie. It wasn't long ago I went looking to see what SoC's Nvidia was even cooking up. And it increasingly looks like they've steered away from consumer electronics and towards embedded systems with them. For example, all the applications they brag about with their recent Tegra Xavier model, which uses the Volta architecture for it's GPU, are based around self driving cars. The Volta architecture itself seemed to mostly brag about being a good fit for machine learning.

I guess it's theoretically possible they could just begin gutting everything they don't need for a potential Switch Pro from the architecture. Or take a bunch of scraps that didn't make the cut because their Programmable Vision Accelerator was borked or something.

But the conclusion I came to was basically that Nintendo boxed themselves into a corner. The Tegra X1 was great for them because Nvidia had a surplus and they were cheap. At least that's my low level understanding. Since then Nvidia has left the platform as essentially a dead end, with no modern SoC that is a good fit to take it's place. This is especially a problem for a Switch Pro that would in theory retain compatibility with older software.

Who knows though. Stranger things have happened. I'm not even convinced there is going to be a Switch Pro. But if there is, and if they want to keep the same rough performance gap that exists between the Switch and the XB1 & PS4 with the Switch Pro and the XBX & PS5, I think hardware that supports DLSS is the way to go.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    oh the article says we're NOT getting 4k. What a shitty headline

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Shout out to modern online "journalism".

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    9 new things about switch pro, you'll never guess number 3!!!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I still feel they can make a co-processing dock to up it to 4k on the tv.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I feel like if Nintendo's tech ethos is to remain constant, 4K will not be a thing until true next gen, and even that would be a longshot.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular

Well my wallets in trouble. And they're teasing a collector's edition in the comments.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »

Well my wallets in trouble. And they're teasing a collector's edition in the comments.

By definition, isn't anything from Limited Run a collectible?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

True. A version with more stuff then. Which turns out I need to pay more attention because they're doing that too.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Never preorder a digital game from Nintendo.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Are limited run games ever on digital? Or are they physical only?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Limited Run is providing physical copies of a digital release, in this case.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Nintendo was technically correct but this seems like the kind of case you don’t really want to win because of the headlines and publicity involved

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The only reason to pre-order digital content is for bonuses or to pre- load. And if you want those last two things, pre- order at the last possible minute.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Wow, Nintendo has a worse policy than GameStop. Not every day that happens.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

True. A version with more stuff then. Which turns out I need to pay more attention because they're doing that too.

They always do a standard and a CE.

Their slogan is "physical forever". Their MO is to take older games and re-release as well as provide small batch runs of smaller indie games.

Edit: just a heads up on Limited Run though. Due to the small batch nature of their business they do not allow refunds for p much any reason, they also frequently miss their release windows, sometimes by large stretches of time. They make this very clear before you order but it's still worth being aware of anyway.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

I'm curious how canceling a digital preorder would work since it preloads to your console. Would it just not allow it to unlock? Would it automatically delete the preload?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I'm sure there's a technical reason, as well as financial (credit card processing fees would be lost?), but it does stink.
    However, we (as a community as a whole) do way too much pre-ordering of things. Perhaps this will help reduce reliance on it? I dunno, just always feel like people get burned on pre-orders and it's crazy.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

They always do a standard and a CE.

Their slogan is "physical forever". Their MO is to take older games and re-release as well as provide small batch runs of smaller indie games.

Edit: just a heads up on Limited Run though. Due to the small batch nature of their business they do not allow refunds for p much any reason, they also frequently miss their release windows, sometimes by large stretches of time. They make this very clear before you order but it's still worth being aware of anyway.

Yeah, I can't recall what I ordered from them, but it was 6 months past their long estimate

oh wait, it was Dust

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I'm sure there's a technical reason, as well as financial (credit card processing fees would be lost?), but it does stink.
    However, we (as a community as a whole) do way too much pre-ordering of things. Perhaps this will help reduce reliance on it? I dunno, just always feel like people get burned on pre-orders and it's crazy.

Steam allows it just fine.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

I can't remember does Steam charge you at release or is it when you pre-order? It's been a while.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

I'm curious how canceling a digital preorder would work since it preloads to your console. Would it just not allow it to unlock? Would it automatically delete the preload?

I was recently able to negotiate a "one-time" refund for a digital game (Divinity II, in my case). The game was downloaded on my Switch at the time. After I successfully got the refund, if I attempted to launch the game, I would get an error message that said something like "You are not authorized to access this software" or something like that.

I then deleted it.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Give me RF5 newssssss. I neeeeds it.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Relax Earthmate, we'll get it

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    I loved RF4 but man that does look...dated. I was really hoping there'd be more of a visual improvement, even compared to something like Stardew it looks a little rough (probably due to the art style).

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

I was recently able to negotiate a "one-time" refund for a digital game (Divinity II, in my case). The game was downloaded on my Switch at the time. After I successfully got the refund, if I attempted to launch the game, I would get an error message that said something like "You are not authorized to access this software" or something like that.

I then deleted it.

I was able to do the same with WH40K - Space Wolf. I was looking for a good XCOM style game on the Switch aside from Mario x Rabbids (which I own). Picked up Space Wolf because Mechanicus isn't on the Switch, then learned that it's an F2P iOS game. Noped out of that almost immediately.

The rep on the phone told me this is a one-time thing, I've got no issue with that. I'll just have to be more diligent in looking before I leap.

That being said, I really wish Nintendo would start vetting the eShop a bit more. The shovelware that I have to wade through when I'm looking at the sales is fucking ridiculous.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    This is why i always wait until the last possible minute to pre-order anything.

Mostly cause i hate having to babysit the cash and secondly it gives me time to see what stuff gets found out about the game. None of this nonsense "Hey this game is coming out like late next year but you can pre-order it now!" Crockery.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Pre-ordering digital releases makes no sense.

Shit, pre-ordering physical releases makes almost no sense either. I've never not been able to pick up a game somewhere.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    You mostly pre-order for the carrot they attach at the end of the string.

"Get your exclusive nonsense when you preorder!"

In which case you should still be waiting until the last minute to do so anyway so you know more about the game nothing quite like dropping dosh on a game you don't enjoy all that much.

Zunde on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Shit, pre-ordering physical releases makes almost no sense either. I've never not been able to pick up a game somewhere.

For physical it can make a lot of sense. Between discounts and having it on release day at your door step.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

For physical it can make a lot of sense. Between discounts and having it on release day at your door step.

And sometimes it's a game that actually becomes hard to find on release day.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »

I can't remember does Steam charge you at release or is it when you pre-order? It's been a while.

Not quite sure, but you can refund any time up to release and then their regular refund policy kicks in, where you can refund until 2 weeks or 2 hours of playtime, whichever comes first.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Liar Princess and the Blind Prince, Lapis x Labyrinth, and Mercenaries Saga: Chronicles all already typically average for $80+.

• Options
    I loved RF4 but man that does look...dated. I was really hoping there'd be more of a visual improvement, even compared to something like Stardew it looks a little rough (probably due to the art style).

My brother loves Harvest moon. But never showed an interest in rune factory because he thought it was an adventure game nothing more.
    When I was playing RF4 while waiting for something he grabbed the 3ds from my hand saying It has farming? I said yes it's basically harvest moon with a adventure game. He is looking forward to playing it on the switch

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

RPGs for the most part are hard to find add in it's a Nintendo system rpg and it's a quest to find them here

• Options

I preorder digital so I can have it downloaded and ready to play on release. Nothing major, just enjoy not having to wait however long it might take to download.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

I preorder digital so I can have it downloaded and ready to play on release. Nothing major, just enjoy not having to wait however long it might take to download.

There's also the case where someone might have an extra $80 now but maybe not so much in 4 months.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I’d say if money is ever that tight where $50-$80 could be a huge deal down the road, then said person should wait and pick up the game after it goes on sale. Not to sound rude, but that’s budgeting 101.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page